Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mebh posted:

She's upstairs talking to Internet friends while I drink in the conservatory. And no she rocks. But she felt the need to come down and tell me off about OwlFancier and "the brits" plus something about microwaving nappies from one of the horrifying pyf threads. I made her another Singapore sling and sent her on her way.

You are Bertie Wooster and I claim my £5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Bristol scenes look awful. I'd like to go to one of the other city protests (either London or Brighton I guess) but I'd need to bring my toddler and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I mostly see Owly kicking around in threads for games so I presume Mebh's wife has good gamesing taste

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Perfect Element posted:

Bristol scenes look awful. I'd like to go to one of the other city protests (either London or Brighton I guess) but I'd need to bring my toddler and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

That's totally fair, not everyone's in a position to protest. You can still help by spreading the message on social media and highlighting police brutality not being shown in the media

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I can't tell if I want the Sunday Sport to release daily stuff or keep it bottled up to once a week to concentrate the gold.

It occurs to me that the Sunday Sport is a bit like this thread.

Some people get their news from nowhere else, it's mostly full of comedy, and there's often something disgusting in it*

*but he was banned

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Edit - Link doesn't work.

Insert image of tactical baby armour here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Think the Bristol plod went a bit overboard last night in that the centrist melts who were decrying this protest last week are now saying the police were being heavy handed again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
turning a big dial taht says "Police Brutality" on it and constantly looking back at Keir Starmer for approval like a contestant on Ant and Decs Saturday Night Takeaway

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

serious gaylord posted:

Think the Bristol plod went a bit overboard last night in that the centrist melts who were decrying this protest last week are now saying the police were being heavy handed again.

Eh, that means nothing. Centrists will just wring their hands and say their holy mantra "mistakes were made and lessons were learned" while achieving precisely nothing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Eh, that means nothing. Centrists will just wring their hands and say their holy mantra "mistakes were made and lessons were learned" while achieving precisely nothing

It shows the tide is turning a bit surely?

I get this thread is up its own arse with the 'Nothing matters' stuff but seriously, we've gone from a week ago where the protesters were violent thugs breaking policemens office arms to today where its being spun as Police over reacting and being heavy handed.

Every voice that isn't against the protests is a voice thats for it. Whether you think its pointless or not.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That's fair, but I won't miss a chance to have a dig at centrists

centrists *spit*

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there was another thing on channel 4 last night about a cop somewhere in england who attacked a woman on the street outside his house just for funzies like GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FAHKING FLOH NAOW YEW CAHNT like that, because he didn't like the look of her (?) and he tried to say he was defending himself and she attacked him but someone got it on video

like what would it actually take to dispel the "few bad apples" excuse and for it to be recognised that there is a serious systemic problem re: the ranks of the police being chock full of violent psychopaths

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

crispix posted:

like what would it actually take to dispel the "few bad apples" excuse and for it to be recognised that there is a serious systemic problem re: the ranks of the police being chock full of violent psychopaths

Bad apples actually fits perfectly, it's just society has a weird amnesia about the second part of that idiom which they cut off and what it means.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Remembering an awful lot of "what are they protesting for, police in the UK aren't like that" tweets from 10 months ago.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also it's the Queen's fault

https://twitter.com/FedGlos/status/1375610964314296321

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t get the few bad apples thing, in my experience a few bad apples are going to spoil all the apples around them and then whomp your whole apple box is rotten.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The only reply needed to a guy with rapidly thinning hair

https://twitter.com/BierStarmer/status/1375724937269407747?s=19

Harsh, but he has now been neutralized

learnincurve posted:

i don’t get the few bad apples thing, in my experience a few bad apples are going to spoil all the apples around them and then whomp your whole apple box is rotten.

They should really make a saying about that

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

I don’t get the few bad apples thing, in my experience a few bad apples are going to spoil all the apples around them and then whomp your whole apple box is rotten.

That is the original intent of the phrase, most people seem to forget that though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1375707945175035904

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1375718107877101569

A&S Police I think you might have hosed it lads

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's nice to see some Twitter centrists wake up but really the country gets its news from headlines and this is what headlines will tell them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I like that the current Guardian begging popup says "pay for high-impact journalism" - makes me imagine that all the articles are ghostwritten by P*ssflaps, which honestly would kinda figure

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
My god, there's an *arc* and I've only seen 2 of them:

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1375565658667253766

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Completely apropos of nothing but back I played Metal Gear Solid as a wee nipper I had no idea this song wasn't Japanese so it's only now in 2021 I realise it's a) definitely not Japanese b) in Gaelic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIVMjnEm9c

Ah yes "The Best Is Yet To Come."

A hauntingly beautiful piece of music.
I lobbied hard for this to be one of the songs played at our wedding but my wife vetoed it.

In the end we went with more traditional wedding songs. "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" (Elvis, lots of people), "Le Vie En Rose" (Édith Piaf) and "Home" (Edward Sharp & Magnetic Zeroes).

We both super agreed on our wedding dance which was "Come and Get Your Love" (Redbone) as Guardians of the Galaxy was the film of our courtship.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

StarkingBarfish posted:

THE LORE OF THE SEX ARSE

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ah, Labour

quote:

Labour's shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds told BBC Breakfast that "whenever there is violence, that is completely unacceptable".

She said protesters should be using "other ways of expressing whatever dissatisfaction they have".

Asked whether the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, which Labour has opposed, seeks to prevent the sort of scenes seen in Bristol, Ms Dodds said the party's criticism concerned "the lack of measures within that bill to protect women and girls".

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

StarkingBarfish posted:

this is what truly high-impact journalism looks like, take notes the guardian

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Rarity posted:

THE LORE OF THE SEX ARSE

Dispatches from the Arse desk

e^^^ Genuinely depressing that the quality of writing is better than the express or mail yet the content is no more ficticious.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Ah, Labour

Hmmm, is it somehow possible to submit a negative vote for Labour?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Keir Starmer to call for a Sex Arse Czar to revitalise this dying industry.

Actually, that's strong username potential

namesake posted:

Hmmm, is it somehow possible to submit a negative vote for Labour?

Functionally, I suppose voting Starmer for Leader achieves this

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
That sex arse story is how I discover Ever Given is 1312 feet long. Truly this ship is the revolutionary hero of our times

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Failed Imagineer posted:

Keir Starmer to call for a Sex Arse Czar to revitalise this dying industry

Labour boffin heads up sex arse think tank

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe Bristol wouldn't be kicking off we could access our sex arses :thunkher:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Belgian Biscuit?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

Ah, Labour

I presume she's condemning the police violence here

lol

im never voting labour again

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Starmer should stop dilly-dallying and call for renationalisation of the once great british sex arse industry.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

Ah, Labour

"We are against this bill because it's not quite draconian enough".

I don't know who Labour exist for. 55 year olds who had it ingrained in them from their parents that Tories bad but still support 85% of what the Tories do, people who still think the Iraq War was a good idea, but who else?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

people who think Blair was a good social democrat and see Starmer as Blair 2.0 (a diminishing constituency), people who hate any politics to the left of Bill Clinton and actively want Labour to become the Slightly More Liberal Tories

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

forkboy84 posted:

"We are against this bill because it's not quite draconian enough".

I don't know who Labour exist for. 55 year olds who had it ingrained in them from their parents that Tories bad but still support 85% of what the Tories do, people who still think the Iraq War was a good idea, but who else?

I think they are aiming for the *shudder* lib dem vote.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

StarkingBarfish posted:

Starmer should stop dilly-dallying and call for renationalisation of the once great british sex arse industry.

[sega voice] Sex Arse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh what do the Lib Dems stand for in 2021? At least when Ashdown and Kennedy were in charge, they were to the left of Labour and actually tried to be social democrats. Nowadays they're full of Orange Bookers, and idk what Ed Davey stands for but he sure as poo poo isn't doing anything to win back all the folks who voted Lib Dem in 2005, if indeed they're still alive.

Electoralism is useless lmao