Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
S&L: i don't know if it's a positive or negative that i'm more far more interested in the kent family and lois' stories than i am about the actual superman plotline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched the first couple of episodes the other day and it definitely feels more like a family drama than a superhero show. Its very much of the "Clark Kent who's job is Superman" variety than a show about Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This version of Clark being an earnest, goofy dad is so refreshing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

site posted:

S&L: i don't know if it's a positive or negative that i'm more far more interested in the kent family and lois' stories than i am about the actual superman plotline

:same:

Though I think my interest is proportionate with how much screentime each aspect is given. This last episode there were just stretches where I forgot like, "oh yeah lol this is a superhero show."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Falcon & WS Episode 2:

-I hope the Bradleys come back, but if they don't, that was some impactful poo poo.

-There are so many factions at this point I'm really curious to see who will be the last boss (It's definitely not the Flag Smashers, since all they've done is rob a bank and steal medicine for refugees)
-Our boys have had a streak of bad luck so far, but I really hope they don't end up being responsible for Zemo escaping prison next week, because that would be encroaching into Spider-Man/Daredevil levels of "Aw, poo poo, I hosed up"

Toddofodd
Jun 6, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Falcon & WS Episode 2:

-Our boys have had a streak of bad luck so far, but I really hope they don't end up being responsible for Zemo escaping prison next week, because that would be encroaching into Spider-Man/Daredevil levels of "Aw, poo poo, I hosed up"

I'd guess it'll be US Agent screwing up that leads to that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm putting my chips down now on Sam and Bucky realizing the Flag Smashers are more misunderstood than evil. The true villain is this Power Broker lad. John will fail to see this which is when we'll finally get our Falcon and Winter Soldier vs Not Cap and Not Bucky showdown. They'll fight it out. Everyone unites to take down Power Broker.

I like this show's vibe so far. It's light fun. Though I did actually enjoy the staring scene from the trailer a lot more in practice than I thought I would. I get Bucky's beef. Therapy is clearly working, he was emotionally honest. He feels like Sam ran.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good to see isaiah, i don't know if i entirely agree with toning down how bad off he is in current day but i guess if they didn't he would've been unable to have a speaking role so :shrug:

the highway fight was cool tho. karli can beat me up any time

walker is teetering a good line right now so early on being just barely likeable for now while also clearly showing he's gonna become a huge rear end in a top hat soon enough

got a little bit more worldbuilding with the exposition regarding the grc

also gonna assume the power broker is gonna be a bigger deal in the following eps

^^ and yeah it was interesting in the couples therapy session that bucky is the one who answers honestly and sam's the one who avoids it and runs

site fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 26, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wish they'd tone down the bloom in Falcon and Winter Soldier, it reminds me of some PS3 games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
with only 4 more episodes i hope there's even enough time to give karli her own backstory ep to give actually give the flag smashers some justification

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am somewhat shocked and surprised that someone actually remembered Battlestar when making this series. I expected Bradley showing up but not Battlestar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I'm putting my chips down now on Sam and Bucky realizing the Flag Smashers are more misunderstood than evil. The true villain is this Power Broker lad. John will fail to see this which is when we'll finally get our Falcon and Winter Soldier vs Not Cap and Not Bucky showdown. They'll fight it out. Everyone unites to take down Power Broker.

I like this show's vibe so far. It's light fun. Though I did actually enjoy the staring scene from the trailer a lot more in practice than I thought I would. I get Bucky's beef. Therapy is clearly working, he was emotionally honest. He feels like Sam ran.

It's more about him than Sam there. His last line in the therapy. He feels like if Steve was wrong about choosing Sam, what does that say about the other guy?

site posted:

with only 4 more episodes i hope there's even enough time to give karli her own backstory ep to give actually give the flag smashers some justification

They are hour long episodes at least. The runtime is longer than Wandavision overall.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah that's true. i guess oddly this episode felt about as long as an episode of wv to me

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

They are hour long episodes at least. The runtime is longer than Wandavision overall.

if every episode is ~42 minutes minus credits, that'd actually be a bit shorter than WandaVision if the math in this Reddit post is correct

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh right, I didn't even check if this also had stupid long credits.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

It's more about him than Sam there. His last line in the therapy. He feels like if Steve was wrong about choosing Sam, what does that say about the other guy?

Oh I got it. "If he was wrong about you, then maybe he was wrong about me." They're working it out still.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regarding Invincible:

I thought they'd save the twist for four or five episodes so viewers would really feel it when it hits.

Also, I think the violence is way more uncomfortable when animated. I'm already being reminded why I stopped reading the book.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

X-O posted:

I am somewhat shocked and surprised that someone actually remembered Battlestar when making this series. I expected Bradley showing up but not Battlestar.

I'm gonna be very quietly sad now when we don't get D-Man, Diamondback, and Nomad since we're dipped deep into the Cap's side characters pool.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Enjoyable second episode of F & WS. The portrayol of the flag smashers is so empathetic that it is clear they're not gonna be the bad guys, and will most likely end up fighting on the heroes side. Which is a relief. I did think some of the photography and direction was a bit off in the episode, a somewhat distracting use of wide lenses in some odd moments and the truck fight was a bit of a shambles. It felt a bit scattershot, haphazardly edited and inelegant, and below the movie like standard of something like the Mandolorian.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Regarding Invincible:

I thought they'd save the twist for four or five episodes so viewers would really feel it when it hits.

Also, I think the violence is way more uncomfortable when animated. I'm already being reminded why I stopped reading the book.

The violence always made Invincible so irritating. I knew a bunch of people who would like it... except for the gore.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
oh my god they went to couples therapy i hope they kiss!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

The violence always made Invincible so irritating. I knew a bunch of people who would like it... except for the gore.

it's an Amazon show so it won't last long enough to get there, but I'm curious as to the reaction from show only people when the show turns into DragonBall Z partway through.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The couples therapy kinda took me out of it. How's that therapist successfully badgering Wilson into a room, it's not a condition of his parole. I figured he'd just tell her to take a hike. She performed a therapist's arrest.

My guess is that Walker gets frustrated about not being a super soldier and ends up taking a deal with Power Broker. The only question I have is if Battlestar has a conscience moment or gets turned into a miniboss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sam's basically an affable guy who seems to try and just go along with stuff. Obviously h was free to walk out when he got frustrated enough but I'm fine believing Sam just went along with it because it was the path of least resistance and/or he was willing to try and help.

Like that's the part of the Sam/Bucky dynamic I really like and that got verbalized with Bucky's confession. They don't seem to really hate each other or anything. They just both obviously have a ton of self doubt and sense of what they owe Cap and they just remind each other too much of it. Sam feels like poo poo about the shield. He doesn't need Bucky telling him he failed Cap and can't live up to him. And Bucky doesn't need Sam reminding him of that kid he grew up with and how h might be disappointed and wrong about Bucky.

But despite all that poo poo they're still watching each other's backs. If just because its what Cap would want them to do.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna be very quietly sad now when we don't get D-Man, Diamondback, and Nomad since we're dipped deep into the Cap's side characters pool.

I mean, assuming Karli makes a face-turn, Nomad would be an apropos new alias...

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 26, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

it's an Amazon show so it won't last long enough to get there, but I'm curious as to the reaction from show only people when the show turns into DragonBall Z partway through.

I've only seen episode 1 and haven't read the comic, but I'm familiar with the tldr version of the comic.

There was nothing you wouldn't see on Young Justice or some other Cartoon Network superhero show in the first episode so I can only imagine the gore the series is known for is coming as a big "twist" in episode 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did you watch to the end lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Aphrodite posted:

I've only seen episode 1 and haven't read the comic, but I'm familiar with the tldr version of the comic.

There was nothing you wouldn't see on Young Justice or some other Cartoon Network superhero show in the first episode so I can only imagine the gore the series is known for is coming as a big "twist" in episode 2.

Uhhhh you should watch the whole episode homie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lol I thought those were ending credits, not a title card. There's 10 minutes left.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't say it's good enough to keep me watching tbh

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i'll keep watching invincible until i get bored or it gets canceled

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

lol I thought those were ending credits, not a title card. There's 10 minutes left.

Oh poo poo, same, I guess I have to go back to that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like I guess the voice cast is pretty good, and story isn't terrible, but the animation is so generic. It reminds me of the forgettable DC animated movies.

I haven't really read a lot of Invincible, so i was unaware than everyones basically just a version of a Marvel or DC character. It makes it feel a bit fanficy, though how much of comics is that?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

In the print comics it was definitely done to present an instantly understandable status quo of "long-established superhero comic universe" so that you'd also understand how heinous and world-shaking it is when Omni Man mercs what is essentially the Justice League. On one level, you're right about it being a fan fic kind of idea. It's basically "what if Superboy had to defend the earth from Superman because Kal was a Kryptonian secret agent?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlimGoodbody posted:

In the print comics it was definitely done to present an instantly understandable status quo of "long-established superhero comic universe" so that you'd also understand how heinous and world-shaking it is when Omni Man mercs what is essentially the Justice League. On one level, you're right about it being a fan fic kind of idea. It's basically "what if Superboy had to defend the earth from Superman because Kal was a Kryptonian secret agent?"

Yea, I can get that aspect, it just that everyones basically a 1:1 for another hero. It almost feels like straight Venture Bros stuff.

Though I guess this is why he's mocks all the Avengers in the crossover issue where he's like "Spider-Man? Spider-Woman? *looks at luke cage* guess your name is Black Man?"

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Falcon & WS Episode 2:

-I hope the Bradleys come back, but if they don't, that was some impactful poo poo.

The grandson is definitely coming back for the Young Avengers thing they are clearly planning to do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know he already showed up in the Netflix shows, but I'd put even money on them turning John Walker into Nuke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I know he already showed up in the Netflix shows, but I'd put even money on them turning John Walker into Nuke.

Why? They're clearing going to go the USAgent route. I mean poo poo, they even brought in Battlestar.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Why? They're clearing going to go the USAgent route. I mean poo poo, they even brought in Battlestar.

Because Marvel Films likes to kill villains. They made Agatha Harkness the big bad in WandaVision, and I mostly think of her as Franklin Richards first babysitter.

I also don't know who Battlestar is, but I'm going to be honest, outside of Nixon committing suicide and Reagan turning into a snake monster i don't know a lot about Captain America pre New Avengers and Brubaker's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Battlestar was Walker's "Bucky" when he first debuted as new Cap, because Bucky was Captain America's government-assigned highly marketable kid sidekick in the comics and not his best friend with a funny nickname

kinda weird how they managed to do bucky in live action so successfully and easily but there's still no modern version of Robin that works outside of the memetic value of "gently caress Batman"

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 27, 2021