Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't think I've ever heard 'squint' used in a racist sense, I'm sure it's there by probability, but it's not comparable to like, saying 'slant-eyed' or some actual dirty phrasing.

It's like how 'slope' is an antiquated racist address to asians, but 99% of the time the word just means an incline/decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Burning my twitter was one of the best decisions in my life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve never heard of “squint” being used as a slur against asians and google isn’t really giving me anything aside from an old Daily Mail article with a video of a drunk scotsman telling chinese people that they squint after he delivers all the other slurs.

The racist language about asians doesn’t even have anything to do with squinting, but the supposed shape or angle of their eyes compared to white Americans’ eyes. Racism doesn’t make sense, but there a context for this that I’m not getting?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

'If you squint' is a really common phrase and only people who get a hardon getting mad at other people are at all upset over that part of her tweets.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’ve never heard of “squint” being used as a slur against asians and google isn’t really giving me anything aside from an old Daily Mail article with a video of a drunk scotsman telling chinese people that they squint after he delivers all the other slurs.

The racist language about asians doesn’t even have anything to do with squinting, but the supposed shape or angle of their eyes compared to white Americans’ eyes. Racism doesn’t make sense, but there a context for this that I’m not getting?

'Squint-eyed' and 'slant-eyed' were just a couple of many lovely phrases used to deride Asian people back in the good ol' state sponsored propaganda years. (Or at least, when it was ever so slightly more blatant I should say.) Even now they're used pretty often, and it's grown even more with the rather huge amount of anti-Asian hate being directed in the wake of, well, all the poo poo going on.

But of course when people are getting death threats for Being Asian there's kinda an understandable tension about the whole thing, and writing it off as a bit of flowery language short of 'those dastardly sjws' is pretty dismissive tbh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The meaning as a common turn of phrase is clear from context in the tweet and it’s obvious nothing else was intended, but even as some kind of unfortunate choice of words, I don’t get the connection. It’s not like she used the phrase “a chink in the armor” without realizing that it sounded bad or something.

And I’m a poster who knows old-timey slurs. I read an unfortunate amount of Stephen King as a kid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

'Squint-eyed' and 'slant-eyed' were just a couple of many lovely phrases used to deride Asian people back in the good ol' state sponsored propaganda years. (Or at least, when it was ever so slightly more blatant I should say.) Even now they're used pretty often, and it's grown even more with the rather huge amount of anti-Asian hate being directed in the wake of, well, all the poo poo going on.

But of course when people are getting death threats for Being Asian there's kinda an understandable tension about the whole thing, and writing it off as a bit of flowery language short of 'those dastardly sjws' is pretty dismissive tbh.

I’ve never encountered “squint-eyed” in my life but I have seen slant and slope used hatefully that way quite a lot.

As to your larger point, yes, it’s perfectly reasonable to maybe not press a contestable claim by someone else so narrowly when the context of what they’re saying involves seeing horrible violence and a rise in racism that is making the person feel vulnerable and ignored or dismissed. But also twitter’s the worst platform in the world for backing off, thinking before you post, or cooling down.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And I’m a poster who knows old-timey slurs. I read an unfortunate amount of Stephen King as a kid.

I have to give Stephen King credit for at least painting racists and homophobes as bad people with bad opinions. 30 years before liberal NBC hosts could still openly mock gay people as sissies etc on live TV.

He did write some cringy stuff like that "league of white dignity" or whatever he put in "It" as a northern KKK which was probably not ill intentioned but looked like he was trying to "Both sides" the racist issue.

He did write some incredibly bigoted characters but it was also very clear that they were in fact lovely people for those views. In fact it would probably have been intellectually dishonest of him to write stories in rural USA in the 50/60s that included minority characters but completely omitting them having to deal with racism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Katt posted:

He did write some cringy stuff like that "league of white dignity" or whatever he put in "It" as a northern KKK which was probably not ill intentioned but looked like he was trying to "Both sides" the racist issue.

I think that was him remembering stuff he saw during his lifetime.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lindsay is right and its good that she just got off twitter instead of engaging with any of this insane bullshit

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Farm Frenzy posted:

lindsay is right and its good that she just got off twitter instead of engaging with any of this insane bullshit

So what happened? She didn’t like that fluffy dragon movie and a bunch of people got mad and she said a phrase they hated so now she is worse than nazis? edit: ok so I was right. She probably should have just made some apology and moved on but blood in the water and sharks wanted their food.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you said Squint in a casual conversation and caught it you'd be like "oh gently caress that was terrible my bad" and depending on who you're talking to it could be brushed off as a gaffe. On Twitter you could say it and it would still be a gaffe or people would take it as intentional bigotry.

Stay off Twitter it's bad for your health. Play Killzone and fight fascists as the embodiment of a propaganda addled neoliberal capitalist who wants to beat the bad guys.

Unfortunately you can’t because ps now is a piece of poo poo where I live. Cod IW sorta fills the gap though.

Yardbomb posted:

Hopefully, they're cool games with a big fond following and it sucks to leave them in that shape where they're all divided up on like 3-4 different platforms. Yakuza had that same annoying deal for a while too until Y0 showed that there was absolutely demand for them on more stores and then the whole series followed, you can buy 0-7 on steam now finally as well with 6 only having just released to cap it off.

I assume they will get digital “remaster” ports at some point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Augus posted:

https://twitter.com/richard_mercz/status/1375473532889616385?s=21

which poc should everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to?
no group of people is a monolith and no Twitter rando is the CEO of Asian People

Yeah, for real. As a part-Asian person, I loving hate, in no particular order:

1. Racist white motherfuckers with their "wing wong bing bong ching chong ping pong" Orientalist poo poo.

2. Tedious white motherfuckers deigning to dictate to us feeble people of colour what is and apparently isn't racist towards us because apparently we're a bunch of loving simpletons incapable of any thought more complex than "wing wong bing bong ching chong ping pong." It's not about you and your loving tumblr points.

3. White motherfuckers that decide to get outraged on my behalf towards something that they decide is cultural appropriation, because apparently we're a bunch of loving simpletons incapable of any thought more complex than "wing wong bing bong ching chong ping pong," and we need a spesharu waito jeezasu to save us. gently caress you and your loving imaginary Woke Points.

4. Self-appointed motherfuckers that deign to speak on our behalf. gently caress off, you don't speak for me. Shut your loving mouth and keep it shut. No one loving cares about your social media clout, you loving clown.

My take on Avatar: The Last Airbender - it's fine. The lack of Asian involvement may be "problematic," but compared to what came before, it's fine.

Do I speak for all of us yellows? No, and neither does this alleged "YA author," as if that suddenly makes her the Yellow People Sheriff policing the opinions of poo poo involving Asian representation.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So what happened? She didn’t like that fluffy dragon movie and a bunch of people got mad and she said a phrase they hated so now she is worse than nazis? edit: ok so I was right. She probably should have just made some apology and moved on but blood in the water and sharks wanted their food.

My understanding is: she made a tweet saying it belongs in a genre of "media copying the last Airbender" - presumably because of plot points and structure since that's what she tends to discuss in her videos, but her tweet was unclear. Twitter read this as "all Asian-inspired media should be a genre" which would definitely be pretty bad but uhhh, I'm fairly certain that wasn't what she was trying to say? And yeah she got defensive and then more things she said were misconstrued and then she deleted her Twitter.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
As another mixed asian person throwing in their two cents, the "if you squint" wording for me just reads like an incredibly ill-timed, Curb Your Enthusiasm-level miscommunication rather than serving as any real indictment of Lindsay's character. however with that said,

Vagabundo posted:

This entire post!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea as another mixed asian person, what vagabundo said is right. it gets especially worse any time Asian is the Minority of the Week in America like it is right now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Lindsay Ellis gets driven off Twitter before Moviebob" is not the plot twist I was expecting

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can't she just email her agent and have the account restored later on?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You actually have like 60 days to reactivate an account.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

FWIW, this thread has a run through problematic poo poo Lindsay's said, I haven't had the time to sift through all of them but I'm guessing this is what's fueling the discourse:

https://twitter.com/padmrey/status/1375634681400528904

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Lindsay will be back, probably sooner than people think. She's been terminally online her entire life and built a whole career around "being self-aware about being terminally online," that's not a habit you can just drop cold turkey.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pachylad posted:

FWIW, this thread has a run through problematic poo poo Lindsay's said, I haven't had the time to sift through all of them but I'm guessing this is what's fueling the discourse:

https://twitter.com/padmrey/status/1375634681400528904

I unfollowed her something like a year or more ago when she was doing the whole "I identify as X" and "did you assume my gender?" Ironically or otherwise.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Katt posted:

I unfollowed her something like a year or more ago when she was doing the whole "I identify as X" and "did you assume my gender?" Ironically or otherwise.

That was definitely the tweet that made me think "ok maybe you're getting Too Online for your own good" (which at least she deleted quickly, like within less than an hour or so?) but a looking through in detail some of these tweets it seems to be trying to paint maybe some unfortunately iffy arguments/poorly worded tweets (or even straight up taking from her Nostalgic Chick days - WHICH SHE HAS DISOWNED) as The Worst Thing Ever.

I think there has to be a middle ground between 'Lindsay is a constant bad takes machine' and 'Lindsay is being persecuted by the woke mob' and that thread sure ain't helping.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mara Wilson liked this tweet :stare:

https://twitter.com/toastbutqueer/status/1375632342782504960

More context

https://twitter.com/toastbutqueer/status/1375641131833303044

The thing with Ellis is that this is not an isolated incident. Shes lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Good lord. It never ceases to amaze how just the slightest little leak on Twitter can turn into a raging deluge so quickly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If I remember correctly, I unfollowed Lindsay Ellis when she made a joke about Zack Snyder having a mother complex and then refused to apologise or even back down when someone told her that Snyder's mother had passed away.

That said, I don't think Raya and the Last Dragon is worth defending on this particular point. It's one of the most paint-by-numbers films I've seen in ages when it comes to plot construction and influences drawn on.

e:

Jamie Faith posted:

More context

The thing with Ellis is that this is not an isolated incident. Shes lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 27, 2021

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

More context

Looking through Mara's other liked tweets, looks like she does indeed have a bone to pick with Lindsay :stare:

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/1375692022405767171

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/1375693170437066752

JordanKai posted:

If I remember correctly, I unfollowed Lindsay Ellis when she made a joke about Zack Snyder having a mother complex and then refused to apologise or even back down when someone told her that Snyder's mother had passed away.

I think she did an 'ah poo poo' moment and from some tweets I remember seeing she got a lot of poo poo from Snyder fans about it so she conflated all the criticism as bad-faith for that. I think that was one of the times she took a sabbatical from Twitter.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I recall one or the other saying they'd fallen out years back, although nothing was specifically mentioned.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

all of this because a cartoon dragon movie had to be put in its place.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Jamie Faith posted:

More context

I thought Lindsay was bi herself :confused:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hedrigall posted:

I thought Lindsay was bi herself :confused:

She is, which is weird but not unheard of. There's a ton of transphobic transgender people called "transmeds" or "truscum" who try to gate keep who and who isnt trans for example. poo poo sucks

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

The most charitable interpretation I could give is Ellis assuming Wilson was being insincerely bicurious. Still not great.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Augus posted:

what does it cost you to Just Log Off
If someone doesn’t think they did anything wrong they’re not gonna apologize to some random Twitter weirdo that thinks they did a turbo racism by comparing two American cartoons to each other. You’re just gonna have to live with that

Logging off is a punt, but it's infinitely better than the double down. I doubt this would have been more than a blip if she'd just logged off. Lindsay Ellis does have a long history of going for the double down, so maybe there'd have been some rumbling, but nothing lasting or filled with consequence.

But at this point I think it's safe to say she's a kinda lovely person who Has to Be Right, so she will double down more often than not. Whether onlookers will notice it was the doubling down that made things worse, not any of the criticism or the original kinda-lame take, we'll see.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Gwen posted:

The most charitable interpretation I could give is Ellis assuming Wilson was being insincerely bicurious. Still not great.

Like I said she's lost the benefit of the doubt. I've been side-eyeing her ever since she called NB people who criticized Contrapoints "Gamergate 2.0" and was making "I identify as X" jokes.

This is just the final nail in the coffin for me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

My understanding is: she made a tweet saying it belongs in a genre of "media copying the last Airbender" - presumably because of plot points and structure since that's what she tends to discuss in her videos, but her tweet was unclear. Twitter read this as "all Asian-inspired media should be a genre" which would definitely be pretty bad but uhhh, I'm fairly certain that wasn't what she was trying to say? And yeah she got defensive and then more things she said were misconstrued and then she deleted her Twitter.

it's just kinda a funny-insensitive take, it's like if you were looking at a Seven Samurai inspired film written by Japanese writers and derided it for being too similar to Django Unchained

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ah great, thread is in the rumour-mill phase of discussion again. Fantastic.

Also lol at chiding anyone for leaving an online discussion (especially on Twitter) where both parties have already stated and elaborated on their positions. Sometimes people disagree and sometimes there is no agreement.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

More context

The thing with Ellis is that this is not an isolated incident. She's lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago
I had written a big post about this issue the n i double check through her likes and confirmed this.

Ugh. Mobs and twitter are trash with the worse of the mob being worse of the sides but one of these online creators have got to at least realize the way they're responding to them is counter-productive and try to push change on everything. Don't just ignore that one creator who painted targets for a counter-harassment on people who didn't even say anything to them even if one should treat like the accident it was. Actually acknowledge and push people to be better.

But that involves pointing things that require risky, difficult, systemic change that would affect them on a deeply personal level and might not even happen?
I'm genuinely sorry that it's hard and hurting you and if there's anything the audience can do to reduce it should be done but that's just the cost of doing work that changes the world a little even if your preference are reformism in certain industries much less anti-capitalism.

The only actual solution even from creators who dislike and/or critical of these people is "Stop caring so much about us! Just consume without attachment!". I suppose they have a point but only in the sense that "get over being harassed have a point." Those are not something people can fully embrace and even if they can your words aren't entitled to bring that about.

But again that shows that cliff between content and praxis. While within your own communities that line is going to need to blur there's still only so much one can do. Still that just brings up the whole "You talk about poo poo that may not be done and your videos aren't enough to bring it out about anyways" point.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
its incredibly important to actually go outside every now and then

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ash Crimson posted:

its incredibly important to actually go outside every now and then

I mean sure but one does not simply command better habits is one of my points here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Twitter is making me inspired. I just got this idea for a short story:

A SkyNet-like AI wants to end mankind. It uses its power to collect all the bad poo poo we've said and done in the past, puts it in the worst possible light and then shares it with everyone, so everyone will know everything about everyone.

What follows are the End Days, a never-ending ocean of blood in the streets, as humans kill each other in a rage.

Then the AI just uses its drones to sweep away the few hundred survivors.

Sadly, for copyright reasons I probably can't call this story "Twitter Apocalypse"