Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blattdorf posted:

Square Enix has temporarily removed Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver from Steam in preparation for an important update.

It'd be nice if the original were updated with modern controller support, you still have to use xinput or something to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Square Enix has temporarily removed Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver from Steam in preparation for an important update.

Same thing happened to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, which is trapped in GFWL hell. Same for Battlestations: Pacific.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 27, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

There's a free weekend for Hell Let Loose and someone on my friends list got an achievement for it:

Pretty impressive if only 6.9% of players of this game have ever gotten at least 1 kill lol

Rusty posted:

The achievements were only activated like 2 days ago, so most people haven't played with the new update I imagine.

Yeah it's broken like that. I was trying it yesterday, got an achievement for winning as the US and it told me that 1.8% of the population had it.
Pretty cool game but booooooy are explosions a huge, unreasonable performance hog. The community seems to be real whiny too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kazzah posted:

Oh no, what’s wrong with it? (The game, that is. I already have some guesses about what’s wrong with the word).

https://youtu.be/yxt9KDZ6gaQ

Hard pass

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

It'd be nice if the original were updated with modern controller support, you still have to use xinput or something to get it to work.

Were you talking about this fan patch for Blood Omen?

https://verokster.blogspot.com/2018/05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

"Fixes & features:

Game runs on modern PC (Windows 10)
Game renders via OpenGL 1.1/3.0. If your GPU supports OpenGL 3.0 - game uses it. If no - game uses OpenGL 1.1
Removed CD check and game can run now without CD. (see "Installation" section)
Removed system restriction for 4 languages (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai)
When switching display modes (F12), the game does not crash now
When switching display into "Eagle Eye" (F6), the game does not crash now
Camera zoom is working now, not only for 320x240 mode (like on PS1), but for 640x480 too
Camera can follow by Kain movement like in PS1 version
Added feature to run and switch game into windowed mode
Added feature to switch on/off filtering
Corrected rendering speed for Nosgoth map and Kain's inventory menu
Added option to select game rendering speed / frame per second (FPS)
Added configuration window on startup, similar to Soul Reaver. To disable it - launch the game with command parameter "-noconfig"
Added FPS counter
Implemented subtitles engine
Implemented 3D sounds via OpenAL
Implemented XInput support with gamepad vibrations
Arrows keys are duplicated on WSAD keys
Intro movies and cutscenes are now played in progressive mode
Cutscenes and flights movies are encoded with better quality
Game can play stereo sound files for cutscenes
Added HQ Sound Patch - sound files from PS1 version. Thanks to NobelGas
Added modified installer from original CD, which help you install game from CD on modern PC together with this pach"

Just in case anyone is trying to find a way of running it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ErrEff posted:

Same thing happened to Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, which is trapped in GFWL hell. Same for Battlestations: Pacific.

I played Battlestations Pacific on the 360 and really liked it and I kept talking myself out of rebuying it on PC because of all the GFWL problems, I hope it comes back fixed. It was a fun mix between planes/ships/subs gameplay.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
They still sell Steam keys for the Battlestation games on Square's site. Probably for the others too. Some modders recently published a remaster mod for Pacific as well, like two weeks ago.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Anyone here played Hellpoint? It's 30% off at the moment and looks like some weird techno-dark soulsy game?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vasler posted:

Anyone here played Hellpoint? It's 30% off at the moment and looks like some weird techno-dark soulsy game?

It looks extremely like Too Human, which was such a massive letdown just seeing that aesthetic again makes me wary of the game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Surprised to be finding the combat in Yakuza Kiwami 2 to be pretty annoying after enjoying 100 hours of it in 0. I know it’s a different engine and all, but I played 0 long enough ago that I can’t point to the differences, and for all I know the stuff I dislike here was the same in 0.

Mainly it’s the camera I dislike. It’s pretty bad in general, with the enemy frequently being off-screen, but what really gets me is the combination of the camera and the blocking mechanic. Namely, blocking seems more important than it was in 0, and you need to be facing an opponent to block them. But Kiryu really isn’t very good at maintaining facing, even when you’re locked onto a single enemy, so you constantly have to manually correct the camera to be behind him. But at least by default, “put camera behind character” is mapped to left trigger, and “block” is on LB, so the optimal way to play is with some PSP claw-grip nonsense.

It’s kinda shockingly bad!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambaire posted:

Got Subverse and put about 2 hours into it getting through the introductory scenes (until you're turned loose on the galaxy) and listening to all of the voice acting (the voice acting is really loving good). Game's got quite a good story that actually has some thought put into it. The shmup combat is decent and even the turn based was interesting. Definitely some strategizing to be done.

This is the horny space game right?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm looking for more games like Starcom Nexus.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/863590/Starcom_Nexus/

Its a top down space exploration game where you fly around and explore sectors by scanning planets and ships. It has a main questline with a smattering of sidequests here and there. Super chill and not crazy complicated to the point where I need a spreadsheet to understand things.

I'm looking for a collection of similar games.

I have Star Traders:Frontiers but it's a little bit on the over complicated side at a glance. Haven't really tore into it but one thing that put me off was the scrolling list of things happening in the world flying by at light speed with no real time to read and react to it. Not even sure if that's important.

I have no other games like the above so I'd like to check out anything suggested. Just a note, not looking for 4X stuff like Stellaris. That's overkill. Not looking for stuff like Rebel Galaxy either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Star Control 2. Play the free Urquan Masters edition.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StarSector is basically THE top-down 2D space game, and it just got a big update! It's not on Steam though, because it's being developed at a glacial pace by a solo dev, and he's not comfortable using Early Access or anything that creates expectations.

If you want to stick to Steam, there's 3030 Deathwar Redux.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Star Control 2. Play the free Urquan Masters edition.

This too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Surprised to be finding the combat in Yakuza Kiwami 2 to be pretty annoying after enjoying 100 hours of it in 0. I know it’s a different engine and all, but I played 0 long enough ago that I can’t point to the differences, and for all I know the stuff I dislike here was the same in 0.

Mainly it’s the camera I dislike. It’s pretty bad in general, with the enemy frequently being off-screen, but what really gets me is the combination of the camera and the blocking mechanic. Namely, blocking seems more important than it was in 0, and you need to be facing an opponent to block them. But Kiryu really isn’t very good at maintaining facing, even when you’re locked onto a single enemy, so you constantly have to manually correct the camera to be behind him. But at least by default, “put camera behind character” is mapped to left trigger, and “block” is on LB, so the optimal way to play is with some PSP claw-grip nonsense.

It’s kinda shockingly bad!

Did you skip Kiwami 1? I felt like the combat just wasn't as good as Y0 for that one too but was much more manageable once you unlocked damage boost powers.

I've kind of forgotten the details, but I think if its similar in K1 and K2 the only upgrades worth it are combat damage boosts and I was constantly drinking the +atk drinks as well. I didn't really need to dodge or worry too much because I was dealing so much damage against the enemy mobs. By the end I was just rocking knives or swords to do massive damage whenever a big setpiece fight started to avoid the blocking back and forth.

Also, the loving knife boot guy fights completely atypical to every other enemy boss in the game and will wreck your poo poo in a heartbeat. I think a single fight with him lasted longer then all of the other boss fights combined.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Spaz maybe?

E: for games like starcom nexus

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

pentyne posted:

Did you skip Kiwami 1? I felt like the combat just wasn't as good as Y0 for that one too but was much more manageable once you unlocked damage boost powers.

I've kind of forgotten the details, but I think if its similar in K1 and K2 the only upgrades worth it are combat damage boosts and I was constantly drinking the +atk drinks as well. I didn't really need to dodge or worry too much because I was dealing so much damage against the enemy mobs. By the end I was just rocking knives or swords to do massive damage whenever a big setpiece fight started to avoid the blocking back and forth.

Also, the loving knife boot guy fights completely atypical to every other enemy boss in the game and will wreck your poo poo in a heartbeat. I think a single fight with him lasted longer then all of the other boss fights combined.

Yeah, I skipped K1. I will probably just try to beeline high damage as well. It’s not like the combat in Yakuza was all that engaging in 0 either (though it was fun with all the different heat actions, and it felt good to just absolutely wreck people,) but this camera stuff is just a bridge too far for me to invest that much in the fighting here.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
All of those were exactly the games I was looking for. Thanks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
spaz is good, spaz 2 is not.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Blattdorf posted:

Seems like some website with a fan-patch that made the game playable for a lot of people just went down. I wish game companies didn't rely on fan-patches to fix their broken games, or at least found a way to integrate them officially.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Seems like some website with a fan-patch that made the game playable for a lot of people just went down. I wish game companies didn't rely on fan-patches to fix their broken games, or at least found a way to integrate them officially.

Is it a patch or the infamous Lost Worlds project that was trying to restore what looked like half of the nearly finished original base game?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

pentyne posted:

Is it a patch or the infamous Lost Worlds project that was trying to restore what looked like half of the nearly finished original base game?

Nope, it was a patch to make the game playable on modern systems.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey cool, new island type in Raft. Wonder what's going to be here.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WavyMeekLamb-mobile.mp4

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ambaire posted:

Got Subverse and put about 2 hours into it getting through the introductory scenes (until you're turned loose on the galaxy) and listening to all of the voice acting (the voice acting is really loving good). Game's got quite a good story that actually has some thought put into it. The shmup combat is decent and even the turn based was interesting. Definitely some strategizing to be done.

The modern day equivalent of reading Playboy magazine for the articles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

It's... more competent than it looks. Areas are extremely maze-like and some models look extremely low-effort but the game itself is pretty solid; if you're itching for a soulslike you could do worse.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I skipped K1. I will probably just try to beeline high damage as well. It’s not like the combat in Yakuza was all that engaging in 0 either (though it was fun with all the different heat actions, and it felt good to just absolutely wreck people,) but this camera stuff is just a bridge too far for me to invest that much in the fighting here.

I'd recommend spending all your money on the potion that lowers your hunger meter (I forget what it's called) from the drug stores and eating as many meals at restaurants as possible specifically to get the max dodge and parry upgrades asap so that Kiryu feels less like a septuagenarian. Also play on easy, the combat never feels good outside of the heat action animations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you not launch Steam bought Ubi games without going through Steam? You don't need to go through the Epic launcher to play Ubi games through Ubisoft Connect once you register them. Similarly, EA gives you an Origin copy seperate from Steam if you give them a Steam key (at least this is how it used to be).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Gothic just did that for its 20th anniversary.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Givin posted:

I'm looking for more games like Starcom Nexus.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/863590/Starcom_Nexus/

Its a top down space exploration game where you fly around and explore sectors by scanning planets and ships. It has a main questline with a smattering of sidequests here and there. Super chill and not crazy complicated to the point where I need a spreadsheet to understand things.

I'm looking for a collection of similar games.

I have Star Traders:Frontiers but it's a little bit on the over complicated side at a glance. Haven't really tore into it but one thing that put me off was the scrolling list of things happening in the world flying by at light speed with no real time to read and react to it. Not even sure if that's important.

I have no other games like the above so I'd like to check out anything suggested. Just a note, not looking for 4X stuff like Stellaris. That's overkill. Not looking for stuff like Rebel Galaxy either.

SPace Pirates (and) Zombies is good, I'll second that recommendation. Voidexpanse is an Escape Velocity Nova type game that isn't too complicated.

Star Traders wise that little list of stuff isn't super important minute to minute, unless every single one of the little log entries have 2+ little symbols by them. That means that your ship and or sector is too much for your current crew to handle. Sometimes a sector has Xenos or a radiation storm that makes it a very bad idea to stick around. Make sure you have enough basic crewmembers to handle ship ops, piloting, electronics, and navigation. A dedicated doctor is also a must have. Ironically hiring a doctor as a crewmember is better than having one as an officer, since doctors are perfectly happy not taking levels in anything else. Failures in command or intimidate aren't common enough to be worrisome.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rinkles posted:

Can you not launch Steam bought Ubi games without going through Steam? You don't need to go through the Epic launcher to play Ubi games through Ubisoft Connect once you register them. Similarly, EA gives you an Origin copy seperate from Steam if you give them a Steam key (at least this is how it used to be).

Steam versions of Ubi games are unique Steam-specific versions that use both clients. Dunno why that's how it shook out, but it's been like that for a long time now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while but I think another goon (I think it's a goon) got phished - anyone knows them?

e: VV Yeah, yeah, fixed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 27, 2021

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Some goon with a blurry name just wanted to vote for his team. Rip

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you, because I can't read a word of that.

e: nevermind, the link just took a moment to kick in.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you, because I can't read a word of that.

e: nevermind, the link just took a moment to kick in.

Here, for easier reading.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Steam versions of Ubi games are unique Steam-specific versions that use both clients. Dunno why that's how it shook out, but it's been like that for a long time now.

Kinda sucks, but whatever. Is it normal that their games when ran via Steam ask for UAC permissions every time they launch?

Btw, FC Primal is a great looking game.

And it runs really well on my aging system. (unlike AC4 which i bought at the same time)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think Primal might legitimately be one of my favourite Far Cry games. It really looks great for how old it is at this point and the sound design is exceptional. You can hunt basically completely by ear. It's not like Blood Dragon, which felt like the throwaway title it was. Primal is a fully-featured game in its own right and I think it can be easily said to stand on the same level as the main series titles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like the predator vision for tracking bleeding prey

But I don't get how it looks so good yet still runs at a constant 60. I can't think of another game this well optimized. (1080p on a i5 6400 and 970)

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed Primal. They managed to make it as engaging as the modern era titles. In parts even more so. Playing as "the beastmaster" never got old.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh and the protag caveman has the voice of Adam Jensen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I knew he sounded really familiar somehow.

But yeah, riding through the night on your saber tiger, eating some Udam, collecting some herbs. It's good to be the beastmaster.