Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love small rules publishers... I just sent €5 to some email address via paypal for the L'art de la Guerre rules, hopefully they show up some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

It happened like 4 editions ago, but nowaways, every faction has fighter planes and whatnot that can mill around on a 28mm table. It's not helped by the fact that this necessitated giving Space Marines some of the dumbest, ugliest poo poo ever put in plastic.
That last one is actually not terrible by Space Marine standards...

Flyers staying on the table rather than doing passes in your opponant's turn was a very silly decision by GW.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

That last one is actually not terrible by Space Marine standards...

Flyers staying on the table rather than doing passes in your opponant's turn was a very silly decision by GW.

Epic handles that really well I think, with fliers making passes over the board while also allowing your cool models to spend some time on the table

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it does alright. It also incentivises you to keep your passes short to minimise your exposure to AA fire.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I looked at the Battlescribe for 4e and the Hero :barf: Rifle Battalion has """companies""" like 7-15 teams strong while the regular one is 15-22. A sane man would have called it platoon and be done with it, but a sane man wouldn't have called it "hero" in the first place. Poor dudes still get hit on 4+ rather than the lofty nazi 3+ :sigh:

The "Hero" title has always confused me a bit. Why not just call them "Guards" Battalions or Companies or whatever?

There even are units with "Guards" in the title that have better skills to match so...?? :shepface:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Endman posted:

The "Hero" title has always confused me a bit. Why not just call them "Guards" Battalions or Companies or whatever?

There even are units with "Guards" in the title that have better skills to match so...?? :shepface:

Well, if you allow Soviets to have a company, then you're going against the ASIATIC HORDES bit, and then the Nazis German players start crying "UNREALISTIC" and

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it does alright. It also incentivises you to keep your passes short to minimise your exposure to AA fire.

It's Epic, it does most things right, that's why GW killed it :v:

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not on the latest 9e rules, so I don't know if it's possible to punch a flyer yet/already.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

It's Epic, it does most things right, that's why GW killed it :v:
Plese refer to our previous conversations on the subject :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Did anyone ever adapt Epic to historicals? I know there were some 40kish adaptations of WW1 and WW2 games (and then you have BA and FoW which both take liberal inspiration).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

spectralent posted:

Did anyone ever adapt Epic to historicals? I know there were some 40kish adaptations of WW1 and WW2 games (and then you have BA and FoW which both take liberal inspiration).
Future War Commander is kind of Warmaster doing Epic, but that's an adaptation through historicals to Epic, not from it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

I am very slooooowly working on doing a cold war version of it, when I don't get sidetracked.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

spectralent posted:

I've been toying with using a loose adaptation for the Russian Civil War.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

"Guards" is a real term.

"Hero" is an in-game term.

(That's how I try to rationalize it.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I used to just assume that the unit had a lot of Hero of the Soviet Union holders in it and/or produced a lot of dead ones.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

"Hero" and "Guards", smh, everyone knows the real label of Soviet troop quality is "Siberian".

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm trying to find some 1/100 Greyhound scout vehicles (2 M8s and 6 M20s specifically) but the only ones I can find weirdly expensive (Battlefront) or iffy design (Normandy Miniatures). Any North America-based goons with 3D printer or old models willing to price something out? Brand recommendations are cool too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

"Hero" and "Guards", smh, everyone knows the real label of Soviet troop quality is "Siberian".

*nods boltactionly*

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I absolutely love the rules of To The Strongest!, and I've setup some Celts and Romans for a little test game. Nothing's painted yet, but everything on the table is 3d printed at home, and after a couple weeks straight of printing, I'm excited to see how my Boudicca's Rebellion game is coming along :)

I actually really expected to hate the grid system, but it works pretty elegantly compared to similar small-density games (DBA for example) where a millimeter or two can be worth arguing over. And the little grid dots I put on my game mat are super unobtrusive. I'm happy. Can't wait to get everything printed and painted.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's a great game and I'm insanely jealous of your prints, my experience with my photon s has been a dumpster fire of disappointment so far.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I absolutely love the rules of To The Strongest!, and I've setup some Celts and Romans for a little test game. Nothing's painted yet, but everything on the table is 3d printed at home, and after a couple weeks straight of printing, I'm excited to see how my Boudicca's Rebellion game is coming along :)

I actually really expected to hate the grid system, but it works pretty elegantly compared to similar small-density games (DBA for example) where a millimeter or two can be worth arguing over. And the little grid dots I put on my game mat are super unobtrusive. I'm happy. Can't wait to get everything printed and painted.

I'd love to get an overview of To The Strongest if you or anyone else would care to effort post about it. I've got a whole drawer of ancients and haven't settled on a ruleset yet.

Springfield Fatts posted:

It's a great game and I'm insanely jealous of your prints, my experience with my photon s has been a dumpster fire of disappointment so far.

I've got a Photon Mono and was ready to throw it out the window until about a week ago when I made some upgrades and now it's printing me a couple units a day with very little hassle. Happy to help if you want to share what problems you're having with it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
To the Strongest! has the pages numbered so that the odd numbers are on the left and the even numbers are on the right.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Class Warcraft posted:

I'd love to get an overview of To The Strongest if you or anyone else would care to effort post about it. I've got a whole drawer of ancients and haven't settled on a ruleset yet.

I've got a Photon Mono and was ready to throw it out the window until about a week ago when I made some upgrades and now it's printing me a couple units a day with very little hassle. Happy to help if you want to share what problems you're having with it.

I posted over in the DIY 3d thread, hopefully I can get some feedback there because this feels like an elaborate prank to trick me into wasting 400 dollars.

To The Strongest! has two big factors that will make you either love or hate it: One, it's gridded, and two it's card driven.
Gridded worked for me as I already had a board for Rommel, and as Juicy Boi alluded to this really speeds up the most time intensive part of ancients which is maneuvering. There's good, clear info and diagrams of how moving from box-to-box works, and no more "Are they touching? Who is flanking who? Partial contacts?" crap to deal with. Terrain is considered to encompass the entire square so if you're lazy as hell like me just draw index cards as stand ins and you can get the table set up in seconds.
It's card driven by drawing a card from a standard poker deck to "roll" to hit, activate, morale test, etc. Most activations are 2+, with them needing you to beat what you just drew to maintain unit momentum (so a 5 would need a 6+ draw to activate again). Face cards are 10s. Default ranged attacks need 8+, melee 6+ with a few modifiers for each. Most units can take 2 hits before being removed from the table; deep ranks 3, lights 1.

There's a fairly exhaustive amount of army lists from a bunch of periods on his website, and if you're interested also an ECW supplement though I've never seen that one myself. I will say that while I like the rules and they are fairly straightforward to learn, the layout of the book is baffling and of an ~80 page book it isn't until page 37 he starts discussing the player sequence and how the game actually works. I personally would of led with that and then meandered into unit types and terrain, but what do I know.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

90s Cringe Rock posted:

To the Strongest! has the pages numbered so that the odd numbers are on the left and the even numbers are on the right.
If that's the only criticism of it then that's an amazingly tight ruleset.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I picked up the Wargames Illustrated with the Epic ACW sprue - Is there a differently posed array for the infantry or did Warlord really get me to preorder 2400+ dudes holding their muskets in the same poses?

E: ok, thank you and thank God.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 24, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looking at the website it seems that there are two different arrays, and they've mixed the Union and Confederate sprues when making the sample armies.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I will say that while I like the rules and they are fairly straightforward to learn, the layout of the book is baffling and of an ~80 page book it isn't until page 37 he starts discussing the player sequence and how the game actually works. I personally would of led with that and then meandered into unit types and terrain, but what do I know.

Ah, the AK-47 Republic approach :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I posted over in the DIY 3d thread, hopefully I can get some feedback there because this feels like an elaborate prank to trick me into wasting 400 dollars.

As someone who currently has two resin 3d printers, with a third on the way (2 original Elegoo Mars, and a Mars 2, for the curious), and is debating potentially getting a fourth somewhere down the line, I can assure you that while it will happily eat away at your money, once you get the hang of it you'll find your pile of unpainted minis growing yourself happily churning out minis and bases and whatnot and wondering how you ever got along without that printer. :)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Are there any companies that make neoprene-printed dirt roads? I see the modern asphalt versions everywhere... but nothing immediately stands out.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SERPUS posted:

Are there any companies that make neoprene-printed dirt roads? I see the modern asphalt versions everywhere... but nothing immediately stands out.

I have this one. It looks nice, but it's hard to cut it into strips without loving up the edges.

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/miniature-games-scenery-dirt-road-stripe/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've lost my mind and, rather than buy new minis to game out English Civil War stuff, I'm just modeling and printing out 2mm units.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna paint these, but printing out a full unit all in 20 minutes is pretty neat

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

moths posted:

I picked up the Wargames Illustrated with the Epic ACW sprue - Is there a differently posed array for the infantry or did Warlord really get me to preorder 2400+ dudes holding their muskets in the same poses?

E: ok, thank you and thank God.

I’m looking forward to your report because i want it to be good enough to buy as my first historical.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

First batch of Bondi done. Any comments on the coloring? Not really sure what's good for the era

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dunno if this is a case of thinyourpaints, but those lads could deffo use highlights/drybrush.

As for coloring, the poorer soldiers will have more natural, earthy tones, while the reds, blues and stuff are more upscale stuff. Of course, bondi with his fancy kill-shirt out wouldn't be that out of place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I'm pretty new and still need to work more on blending colors- I just posted a bunch of stuff in the Legion thread that I think turned out all right but outside of a bit of hair and alien skin it's just flat colors with generous wash.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I'm pretty new and still need to work more on blending colors- I just posted a bunch of stuff in the Legion thread that I think turned out all right but outside of a bit of hair and alien skin it's just flat colors with generous wash.

That’s a great start though! I think you have the first basic down, next step is just to paint more and get more confident with brush control. Then you can try to go back with the original paint and pick out parts where you don’t want the wash to stay, like on the middle of the shields and sjch. That’ll make the shadow from the wash look much more defined. Just keep at it and you’ll do great. :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ropes4u posted:

I’m looking forward to your report because i want it to be good enough to buy as my first historical.

Pressure! It'll be a little while before I get the full box, but so far the figures in Wargames Illustrated look pretty great:

It's a little irritating that all the guys on this sprue are identical, but they look great for what they are.

Also, Leviadon Blue contrast is a great investment.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

moths posted:

Pressure! It'll be a little while before I get the full box, but so far the figures in Wargames Illustrated look pretty great:

It's a little irritating that all the guys on this sprue are identical, but they look great for what they are.

Also, Leviadon Blue contrast is a great investment.

I bought that issue just for the dudes, they are going to be “fun” to paint. Yours look great.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I need to figure out a bocage system of terrain

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What scale? For the bocage, I mean.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Ilor posted:

What scale? For the bocage, I mean.

1/56. For Bolt Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Cheap and effective = buy some Scotch-Brite scouring pads and cut them to size, works great.
Slightly more varied = buy some model train clump foliage and grab some rocks from outside, glue it all onto a popsicle stick

Combine the two for even fancier.