Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pachylad posted:

FWIW, this thread has a run through problematic poo poo Lindsay's said, I haven't had the time to sift through all of them but I'm guessing this is what's fueling the discourse:

https://twitter.com/padmrey/status/1375634681400528904

Lmao this is the most whiny poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

my takeaway from this is anyone who names their public facing persona/account "The" anything and isn't like, a professional wrestler or old timey circus flame-eater 100% has terminal ego poisoning

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gonzo McFee posted:

Like I said, this wasn't going to end if she apologized. There's a subset of people online that just want to be incredibly bad online and exercise some form of power because, like most people in this hellish world where the rich crush us all, they have no actual political or societal power so they get what can get. The second one person targetted her there was always going to be someone going through a decade of posts looking for something even mildly stupid.

People use twitter for 3 things: Horny art/photos, to make awful jokes, or to engage in the pastime of being incredibly mad online all the time.

It's basically this forum, but I can post my sexy kamen rider art there and not be banned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do think this weird and stupid stuff does bring up something interesting.

It’s kind of weird how the discourse treats Asia as one giant country instead of many different ones that probably have zero actual connection to each other. Depending on the regions history.

Like I’m not sure how turning a culture into a great big blob is representative

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of weird how the discourse treats Asia as one giant country instead of many different ones that probably have zero actual connection to each other. Depending on the regions history.

The Discourse isn't really interested in people. Some of the people engaging in it might be, but it's mostly an exercise in getting to yell at someone you don't know for being wrong. Like the bean dad. Or any other Twitter character of the day.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the atla/raya stuff was a pretty silly take (the double down was much dumber tho) and it probably would have defused the whole thing if she just apologized instead (+ i think it would have been more interesting to talk about uhhh idk the blending of asian cultures or the americanization of them in media), but lmao i'm more reeling at the "soul is pro life" take from ellis i just learned about :eyepop:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

achillesforever6 posted:

There is also the stuff that went down that lead to Kyle Kallagren and Jourdain Searles falling out with Lindsey so this is all not isolated

Right, it's why I said repeatedly in this thread that she's lost the benefit of the doubt. She just keeps putting her foot in her mouth, then instead of apologizing, she goes on some "The cancel culture MOB is trying to end me! :qq:" rant like some boomer comedian, then takes her ball and goes home. Shes not going to learn or grow and at this point, I'm just done with her tbh

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is why I think it's ridiculous to preface your scold with "as a [x]." You're not only treating all others who share your background as a monolith but you're claiming the authority to speak on their behalf. It's the height of arrogance.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Lindsay had no reason to apologize. Her tweet was sort of silly at worst and in no way deserved the torrent of AS AN ACTUAL BONA FIDE ASIAN PERSON OF ASIAN ETHNICITY AND BACKGROUND

I don’t think the original tweet was all THAT bad. Part of an annoying trend that people wanted to comment on, but not some secret codex of her interior racism.

And then she doubled down and kept doing it until she had to bail on twitter entirely. And this isn’t the first time it’s happened (and indeed probably won’t be the last.)
THAT’S why people are actually upset, she puts on the front of leftist principles but behaves like any self-centered fragile white lady who can’t admit when she’s said something tone-deaf or brushed up against a larger issue she wasn’t previously aware of. That poo poo just happens and everyone knows it does and nobody gives a gently caress as long as you recognize “oops my bad”!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also opens you up to the obvious counter, "I'm [x] too and this guy's full of poo poo".

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah this person went on a mission to twist Lindsay into some awful person and picked apart a handful of dumb tweets to make their point, ignoring the decade or so of her being a generally decent person with decent insights

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CmdrKing posted:

I don’t think the original tweet was all THAT bad. Part of an annoying trend that people wanted to comment on, but not some secret codex of her interior racism.

And then she doubled down and kept doing it until she had to bail on twitter entirely. And this isn’t the first time it’s happened (and indeed probably won’t be the last.)
THAT’S why people are actually upset, she puts on the front of leftist principles but behaves like any self-centered fragile white lady who can’t admit when she’s said something tone-deaf or brushed up against a larger issue she wasn’t previously aware of. That poo poo just happens and everyone knows it does and nobody gives a gently caress as long as you recognize “oops my bad”!

Eh, best response would probably have been to just not reply to anyone and ignore imo

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Like yeah, whoops, people say dumb poo poo sometimes over their entire lifetime online, got em

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah comparing non binary people to a far right hate movement is a real fucky wucky!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Post the tweet.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Post the tweet.

Her account is gone so I can't search for it. I believe we talked about it in the previous incarnation of this thread tho. It was over NB people criticizing Contra Points for the Buck Angel fiasco.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Can the entire thread stop melting down

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I care. I think Lindsay is terminally online and said/says a lot of dumb poo poo. I think she should actually work through that stuff with people but I also don’t think she is a purposeful malicious person. I don’t blame her for looking on twitter because she is gonna get declared Excommunicate Traitoris no matter what actually sticks. I also think there is a thing of Lindsay is kinda of personality wise an rear end in a top hat/abrasive so she doesn’t keep friends long and tends to burn bridges easy which doesn’t help you when the tallys start getting read aloud.

it is possible that in the mind of ellis that they believed themselves to be a decent human being

Junpei Hyde posted:

0 days since last melt down

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

Sorry I'll shut up now

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

From what I can tell, there are at least 4 discussions going on about this:

1) Lindsay made some ill-worded at best tweets about Raya and Soul, doubled down and refused to apologise. This was the incident that kicked off the shitshow we now have.

2) Lindsay has had a history of receiving abuse, possibly to the point of conflating all criticism as bad-faith. Lots of people like me are (or were) in this boat (a few tweets calling her out acknowledge this).

3) Lindsay ALSO has had a history of dismissing PoC critics and/or making problematic tweets beyond the ones I listed in Point 1.

4) Twitter is a lovely platform where it can be hard to filter out from outside your mutuals between legitimate criticism and bad-faith actors/pile-ons (given what I've learnt in Point 3 though, I'm not so big on this point as I was before)

Focusing in on just one issue (like those who are nitpicking how malicious she really was with the Raya/ATLA comparison) is missing the forest for the trees

EDIT: oh if the mod says so I'll willingly stop the conversation here then

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

You will find that Lindsay is a human being who acts and behaves in a way consistent with most people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like that excuse only really applies when your already willing to give them slack and only need an excuse to justify it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ButterSkeleton posted:

You will find that Lindsay is a human being who acts and behaves in a way consistent with most people

you dont know that for sure

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

So... Jim Stephanie Stearling did an interview about their comming out as NB.

https://youtu.be/XGglZ8SnAPY

If I could post that gif of Danny Glover comming home with pizza, I would.

I don't know how much europeans post here, but she's definitely right about Lt. Gruber: Allo Allo tended to be very, very lighthearted about the germans and going "Oh yeah, Lt. Gruber was a nazi officer" was a second to third fiddle to him being a very soft and camp figure. Hell, most of the plot was entirely revolved everyone trying to get highly prized paintings than any deep analysis of the war at the time. He's not a Landa or a Stroheim, he's someone that boomers would love to have on Cameo to commission birthday wish messages from him.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

part of the whole parasocial deal of internet creators is that you don't know how people act off the stage and while you shouldn't assume they're assholes with no evidence you also can't really assume they're good people either.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is why I think it's ridiculous to preface your scold with "as a [x]." You're not only treating all others who share your background as a monolith but you're claiming the authority to speak on their behalf. It's the height of arrogance.

This is something that's never sat right with me as well - Asia is fuckin huge and [i]incredibly[/] culturally-diverse, even within the boundaries of a single country (north and south of India, for example). This trend of just lumping it all together into this weird cultural monolith is kind of strange, honestly. It almost seems incredibly United States-centric in a way. And this is not the only "diversity blob" that Americans have going on (don't get me started on ex-Soviet or ex-Eastern Bloc country representation lol)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ButterSkeleton posted:

Yeah this person went on a mission to twist Lindsay into some awful person and picked apart a handful of dumb tweets to make their point, ignoring the decade or so of her being a generally decent person with decent insights

A tale as old as twitter, to prove to yourself that you exist by getting some kind of strike on someone you think gets more twitter views than you do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ITT:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sometimes I wonder how this thread would be if I banned posting tweets

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Do it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

unironically I think tweets embedding was a huge mistake for the forums, it makes it way too easy for people to just poo poo out someone else's take and leave wiithout contributing anything

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Artifacted screenshots only.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think if people can go "oh don't listen to Karl Jobst, he's a chud" without much evidence, banning the way to show such evidence would be a bad idea.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you wanna post a tweet, you gotta screenshot it and post it on waffle images.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

achillesforever6 posted:

There is also the stuff that went down that lead to Kyle Kallagren and Jourdain Searles falling out with Lindsey so this is all not isolated

I hadn't heard she fell out with Kyle. That's a shame.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kunster posted:

I think if people can go "oh don't listen to Karl Jobst, he's a chud" without much evidence, banning the way to show such evidence would be a bad idea.

taking and hosting screenshots takes just enough effort to force people to consider whether it's actually worth it, while still leaving the door open if it is

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dawgstar posted:

I hadn't heard she fell out with Kyle. That's a shame.

I remember him saying it happened. As to why, he didn't say

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe make it so that posting a tweet shouldn't be the Only Thing in a post, or smth??

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What makes this all so funny (moreso than it already is) is that this issue is not exclusive to Lindsey. Other thread favorites have made bad takes that the thread has called into question. In the last thirty or some pages, there have been discussions/arguments about ThoughSlime, FoldableHuman, Travis McEllroy, etc. You go farther back, ShaunJen has gotten called out for making dumb tweets, but it gets written off as, "Well, uh, Shaun just makes shitposts on Twitter. You're not supposed to take it seriously. Twitter is bad for engagement and blah blah blah..."

There are content creators who post on Twitter regularly, and still manage not to make asses of themselves. I don't see people say, 'Ugh, SomeCallMeJohnny had another bad take' or 'Can't believe PushingUpRoses won't take the L on this stance of hers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

This thread is at its worst when it becomes a gossip rag filled with people searching the bowels of Twitter to figure out if a content career is a paragon of humanity or not.