Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anything that comes with a prebuilt is going to be an all in one and I can’t see it being that significant of a hassle.

What would be a recommended radiator size for a 5900X? I assume the 120/140 is too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zarin posted:

What would be a recommended radiator size for a 5900X? I assume the 120/140 is too small.

240 or 280. You could do a 360 if you have the room but it’s not required.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zarin posted:

240 will keep one cool just fine, make sure its top mounted, or you will be sad.

(The sad is if the cooler is front mounted with the hoses at the top then it will ingest air bubbles into the pump and make a racket and the pump will die earlier than it would normally)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RAM is the one thing I consistently tell people is worth overshooting on, if only because the price can go apeshit and it’s better to have too much now and enough later than enough now and have to pay double per gig later. Plus it gives you wiggle room if something is programmed terribly and is a memory hog for no reason.

Those are considerations I thought as well. Like I said, I had Amazon credits and if 1) RAM is cheaper it won’t bother me about overspending a bit a year or two before, and 2) RAM is more expensive I probably won’t notice because I won’t be in a hurry to buy any!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
:sigh: I need new ram for my AMD B450 Tomahawk Max and R5 3600.

It's starting to have cannot read instructions at <insert address> referenced memory at <insert different address> issues. I turned off XMP and those stopped so...yay I guess it's just not 100% supported motherboard but took a couple years to manifest the problem. The ram's exact model # isn't on the QVL up there at that link but at the time when I bought the computer there wasn't much on that link at all for Matisse.

May as well use this time to upgrade to 32 gigs of ram anyway, can someone find me 32 gigs of 3600mhz ram that is on that Mobo's QVL that isn't also like $400+? I have some amazon gift card money so purchasing it through them would be preferable. I'm located in the US

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Zarin posted:

2). The big question: How important is difference between the B550 and the X570 chipset? It looks like there are options for both, and I can't tell which is "better" by price, oddly enough.

B550 is the newer chipset but x570 is aimed at the enthusiast market. B550 will be fine unless they need more than one PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive supported (unlikely)

quote:

Edit: RAM question now: Options are 3000MHz, 3200MHz, 3600MHz, and 4000MHz. I thought I read something about Ryzens not liking super-fast RAM, so would it be silly to go for anything over 3000?

Ryzens do like fast ram, the CL timing is more important though. Aim for CL16 3600, that’s the sweet spot in terms of price and performance, but CL16 3200 would be fine too

quote:

Edit2: PSU question now: I personally like EVGA stuff, but I feel like I have to ask the thread every time what the "good" EVGA PSUs are. Is the EVGA SuperNOVA GT 750W one of the good ones?

The EVGAs are fine. I have a gold 750w in my build and it’s great

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

orange juche posted:

(The sad is if the cooler is front mounted with the hoses at the top then it will ingest air bubbles into the pump and make a racket and the pump will die earlier than it would normally)
Hoses on top of the radiator will make a bit more noise, and occasionally some air bubbles might get pulled into the CPU block, but it's not such a big deal. The big deal is if the CPU-block+pump is the highest part of the liquid loop, because it'll have air in it constantly and wear out quickly.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

South posted:

Is it better to get wifi built in or just buy an aftermarket card?
The only real difference is how much space it takes up. A built-in WiFi card can literally be the exact same controller as on a plug-in card, only that it's hard-wired to the board. The CPU and OS doesn't see any difference. The advantage to a card without a WiFi module is a slight cost saving and perhaps an extra M.2 or PCIe slot, maybe. Also some WiFi controllers double as the Bluetooth controller.

South posted:

Both boards have 2 NVMe slots, does it matter which one my SSD is plugged into? I plan to get a Gen 4 NVMe when prices become reasonable.
Yes, it matters. On B550 boards, only one of the NVMe slots will support PCIe v4: The one which comes directly from the CPU rather than the chipset. There's no point in v4 right now, but when v4 cards become cheaper and games actually take advantage of direct SSD-to-GPU loading, it'll be easier for you if you leave the v4 M.2 slot empty for now.

e: sorry for the double-post

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 27, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

orange juche posted:

240 will keep one cool just fine, make sure its top mounted, or you will be sad.

Good reminder! I recall that GN video, now that you mention it. At least the promotional pictures for this case seem to have gotten it correct, and the radiator goes in the top.

vanilla slimfast posted:

B550 is the newer chipset but x570 is aimed at the enthusiast market. B550 will be fine unless they need more than one PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive supported (unlikely)

Ryzens do like fast ram, the CL timing is more important though. Aim for CL16 3600, that’s the sweet spot in terms of price and performance, but CL16 3200 would be fine too

The EVGAs are fine. I have a gold 750w in my build and it’s great

Great info, thanks so much! I'll see if I can't try and look up the timing for the RAM then. Maybe it's in the More Info section.

If he goes with a radiator, are any of these better than the others?

Edit: apparently we'd need to change the case if one of the 280 rads was just THE ONE to get, but I think we're open to playing with it if needed!

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Vir posted:

The only real difference is how much space it takes up. A built-in WiFi card can literally be the exact same controller as on a plug-in card, only that it's hard-wired to the board. The CPU and OS doesn't see any difference. The advantage to a card without a WiFi module is a slight cost saving and perhaps an extra M.2 or PCIe slot, maybe. Also some WiFi controllers double as the Bluetooth controller.

Yes, it matters. On B550 boards, only one of the NVMe slots will support PCIe v4: The one which comes directly from the CPU rather than the chipset. There's no point in v4 right now, but when v4 cards become cheaper and games actually take advantage of direct SSD-to-GPU loading, it'll be easier for you if you leave the v4 M.2 slot empty for now.

e: sorry for the double-post

Cool, I just wanted to make sure that the boot drive didn't have to be in a specific position on the board. Thanks for the info.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zarin posted:

Good reminder! I recall that GN video, now that you mention it. At least the promotional pictures for this case seem to have gotten it correct, and the radiator goes in the top.

Great info, thanks so much! I'll see if I can't try and look up the timing for the RAM then. Maybe it's in the More Info section.

Edit: apparently we'd need to change the case if one of the 280 rads was just THE ONE to get, but I think we're open to playing with it if needed!

Those coolers are all literally identical because all the pump on block hardware for AIOs are made by Asetek and then customized by the company selling the AIO. Asetek has a death grip on the AIO market and everyone has to buy from them.

E: except for the custom loop you see in the middle, that one costs a lot more though and is probably not what your friend is after.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I apologize in advance if this isn't the "right" place for this, and also with the way I am asking. I am so, so far out of the loop on specifics, that it's probably far easier for me to just ask, but anyway

I have a BioStar TZ77X54. It's several years old now. Bought it when I built my system right when the third Gen i5s came out.
Anyway, I am looking for a new graphics card. It DOES have a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, so I am asking what would be the (relative) best choice for a card?

I am not adverse to picking up a few years old used card( though, I am aware of people passing off ones used for Bitcoin mining). Also, not looking to spend an arm+leg for one. So, I suppose there are two options: if there are some Currently-Being-Sold cards that are a good Bang-For-Buck, then great. If you have suggestions for Off-Market cards that would be good to get, if I find one, then that would be great as well.

I am thinking I would like to play CyberPunk 2077 at some point, so whatever card would hit a "Good Enough" level for that, would be fine.

That's how I used to deal with graphics cards, pick up what was the "New Hotness" off people a few years later when the next "New Hotness" came out and everyone was scrambling to upgrade.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
There are no GPUs on earth right now, sorry.

Keep an eye out for a used 2080 or new 3070, but I was on a wait list for 7 months for a 3070 so keep that in mind.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

RAM is the one thing I consistently tell people is worth overshooting on, if only because the price can go apeshit and it’s better to have too much now and enough later than enough now and have to pay double per gig later. Plus it gives you wiggle room if something is programmed terribly and is a memory hog for no reason.

Also for Ryzen systems it's not just capacity, the ideal RAM setup for Ryzen performance is four ranks total and that usually means 32GB.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

orange juche posted:

Those coolers are all literally identical because all the pump on block hardware for AIOs are made by Asetek and then customized by the company selling the AIO. Asetek has a death grip on the AIO market and everyone has to buy from them.

E: except for the custom loop you see in the middle, that one costs a lot more though and is probably not what your friend is after.

Good deal, thanks a lot!

I figured that might be the case. I guess if the really cheap one comes with garbage fans, then he can learn about PC building by starting with fans :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MaxxBot posted:

Also for Ryzen systems it's not just capacity, the ideal RAM setup for Ryzen performance is four ranks total and that usually means 32GB.

Oh, so 4x8 GB is better than 2x16GB for a Ryzen 5900X?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Can anyone recommend any custom power cables? My psu is a modular Thermaltake Toughpower G1 850w and my gpu is a EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra that is using 3 8pin pci-e cables. The stock pci-e cables all have a 2pin split off and it's bulky and looks messy even when zip tied together. The 24pin cable has a gap in the middle that looks bad as well. Does the brand of cables matter? I see kits selling for a range of prices and I'm not sure what will work best. To match the rest of my build the cables would have to be black. I'm not too concerned about the price but I'd rather not pay and arm and a leg for them.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zarin posted:

Try to stick to one RGB company for your build if you don't want headaches.

That corsair unit comes with a big hub that can controls the RGB and speed of like 6 fans. Idk about the "extras" of the other units but they all cool effectively.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/iCUE-ELITE-CAPELLIX-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060046-WW

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does anyone have any recommendations on cases? Currently have a Corsair 750d and while I enjoy it, some of the built in ports have started to die and just generally showing signs of its age. Not that it is falling apart by any means, just not brand new either.

It would need to be a full size tower due to the Noctua CPU cooler I have and I have been looking at some of the Fractal cases and Phanteks but was wondering what other goons might suggest.

edit: guess I should also mention that I don't really care for RGB stuff and would prefer to not have it or at least some way for it to be disabled.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Are there any good fan control utilities that give you a lot more control than the bios or Asus' Ai Suite?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which Noctua do you have?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mu Zeta posted:

Which Noctua do you have?

The Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zarin posted:

Oh, so 4x8 GB is better than 2x16GB for a Ryzen 5900X?

No.

2x dual rank 16GB is better thank 4x single rank 8GB.

Bloopsy posted:

Can anyone recommend any custom power cables? My psu is a modular Thermaltake Toughpower G1 850w and my gpu is a EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra that is using 3 8pin pci-e cables. The stock pci-e cables all have a 2pin split off and it's bulky and looks messy even when zip tied together. The 24pin cable has a gap in the middle that looks bad as well. Does the brand of cables matter? I see kits selling for a range of prices and I'm not sure what will work best. To match the rest of my build the cables would have to be black. I'm not too concerned about the price but I'd rather not pay and arm and a leg for them.

I can’t recommend a specific brand, but it’s very important you buy custom cables made for your specific power supply. Not just brand, but specific model. You’ll kill everything if you buy anything else.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spunkshui posted:

Try to stick to one RGB company for your build if you don't want headaches.

That corsair unit comes with a big hub that can controls the RGB and speed of like 6 fans. Idk about the "extras" of the other units but they all cool effectively.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/iCUE-ELITE-CAPELLIX-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060046-WW

Good point, I'll mention it!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

No.

Oh, okay; how do I check that? I just looked through the specs on NewEgg and didn't see anything.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Zarin posted:

Oh, okay; how do I check that? I just looked through the specs on NewEgg and didn't see anything.

Nearly all 16GB DIMMs are dual rank with only a small number of exceptions.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zarin posted:

It should be on spec sheets from the ram manufacturer’s site, but if you google “is X dual rank” you’ll probably get the answer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

It should be on spec sheets from the ram manufacturer’s site, but if you google “is X dual rank” you’ll probably get the answer.

Thanks!

I didn't see it in the spec sheet: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232299?quicklink=true

But googling the model number seems to suggest that it is dual-rank.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zil posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on cases? Currently have a Corsair 750d and while I enjoy it, some of the built in ports have started to die and just generally showing signs of its age. Not that it is falling apart by any means, just not brand new either.

It would need to be a full size tower due to the Noctua CPU cooler I have and I have been looking at some of the Fractal cases and Phanteks but was wondering what other goons might suggest.

edit: guess I should also mention that I don't really care for RGB stuff and would prefer to not have it or at least some way for it to be disabled.

Most cases are pretty wide because they have the ability to mount a GPU vertically. Even a little corsair 4000D can fit one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX9IA-MLEZA

If you are more of a floor computer person and just like a full tower the 5000D is bigger and has 10 fans mounts.

If you hate RGB maybe look at companies like "be quiet" that sell cases with no windows. Look for there to be sound absorbing material on that solid side panel too.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

No.

4x8 is a dual-rank configuration. Assuming identical timings, they'll perform the same.

Buy whatever's cheaper.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

4x8 is a dual-rank configuration. Assuming identical timings, they'll perform the same.

Buy whatever's cheaper.

There was some testing done by GN and someone they work with in the extreme memory overclocking space that said 2x16gb dual rank performed better than 4x8 single rank, for reasons I don’t know because I didn’t want the other video.

Worth investigating if you care.

Additionally, 2x16 tends to run more stable when you high grade XMP/overclock as there’s less variables to keep in sync.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Most motherboards have a daisy chain configuration of the traces going to the DIMMs which isn't ideal with all four populated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQwGGbW1AE

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Ramadu posted:

Yeah he got them a month before the new AMD stuff came out and he has more money than he cares about and promptly upgraded all of it to the new stuff so it barely has any use on it too. A good deal indeed! I just need a cooler, a case, and a hard drive though to make it all work. I should also say he gave me free of charge the 1080 and 2080 when he upgraded each generation too lol. But yeah that's why I'm here looking for a good case because the market is bewildering.

:crossarms:

I never gave you a 1080.

Also apparently I am rich and wasn't troubleshooting an incredibly infuriating crashing issue that resulted in me replacing almost every single component in my computer over the course of 10 months.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mistikman posted:

:crossarms:

I never gave you a 1080.

Also apparently I am rich and wasn't troubleshooting an incredibly infuriating crashing issue that resulted in me replacing almost every single component in my computer over the course of 10 months.

Yeah my rl friend (the one who had the vaccine seizure gave me it because he upgraded to a 3090 even though I didn't need it???) Passing it on to another friend who needs one. Just a carosel of used parts in here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Edit: moving to more appropriate thread

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 29, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my cousin went against my advice and bought a gaming pc off facebook market. when i told him to at least check the ram speed, the guy said it was 1600 MHz. he ended up upgrading it to 2400 MHz, but i'm pretty sure there was an incompatibility issue with the mother board so for non-gaming tasks, it was slower than the 10 year old pc i gave him lmao.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

crepeface posted:

my cousin went against my advice and bought a gaming pc off facebook market. when i told him to at least check the ram speed, the guy said it was 1600 MHz. he ended up upgrading it to 2400 MHz, but i'm pretty sure there was an incompatibility issue with the mother board so for non-gaming tasks, it was slower than the 10 year old pc i gave him lmao.

I fear there may be confusion with units. DDR4-3200 runs at 1600MHz and it's faster than DDR4-2400. Hopefully you meant the lowest spec DDR4-1600 which runs at 800MHz.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
based on what he was saying I think it was a ddr3

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

crepeface posted:

based on what he was saying I think it was a ddr3

Not possible, motherboards aren't intercompatible with different RAM generations. Also they literally don't make DDR4 RAM that slow, the slowest I can find is DDR4-2133

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I wish the marketing would consistently use MT (mega-transfers) when that's what they really mean, instead of MHz.