Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

yeah it is the brazilianization of the economy, regressive taxes are bad all around

rich fucks simply do not get that proportional taxation benefits them as well lmao

They need to be removed from power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Goast posted:

lmao i wonder if they are gonna mark everyone at the BBC as a "state affiliated gammon"

The BBC is an independent media organization according to Twitter

quote:

How do we define state-affiliated media accounts for these new labels? 
State-affiliated media is defined as outlets where the state exercises control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and distribution. Unlike independent media, state-affiliated media frequently use their news coverage as a means to advance a political agenda. We believe that people have the right to know when a media account is affiliated directly or indirectly with a state actor. State-financed media organizations with editorial independence, like the BBC in the UK or NPR in the US for example, will not be labeled. As part of the development of this process, we consulted with a number of expert groups, including members of the Digital and Human Rights Advisory group in Twitter’s Trust & Safety Council.  

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Junkozeyne posted:

outstanding

quote:

Unlike independent media, state-affiliated media frequently use their news coverage as a means to advance a political agenda

As part of the development of this process, we consulted with a number of expert groups, including members of the Digital and Human Rights Advisory group in Twitter’s Trust & Safety Council.

thank you digital and human rights advisory group for confirming there is no state bias with the bbc or npr very good trustworthy organization

Goast has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Mar 27, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Agrajag posted:

prison labor in america also make a poo poo ton of consumer products

so there's that too

and by a poo poo ton i mean stuff i never would have expected like body armor, jeans, mattresses, and more

oh also all the loving furniture in congress apparently

a lot of software testing and virtually all the paint supplies in america IIRC. Wholefoods used prison labor for fish farming too

if you want to say america is projecting well yes, we have put a million people of a racial minority into work camps, taken away their right to vote, etc etc. it's all projection

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/Mont_Jiang/status/1375846292098846720

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

hell, it makes sense to me. the united states has historically been very concerned with ethically sourcing cotton

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
america uses a lot of prison labor but that's an emergent effect of having lots of prisoners. prison labor isn't actually profitable and is mostly used to claw back a portion of the huge cost of imprisoning someone in the first place; it's why most of it just makes products necessary for other government functions

there's obviously a profitable segment of the private sector that has mushroomed up out of prisons, including companies that sell security/prison administration services to the government, companies that use prison labor as part of their supply chain, bail bondsmen, etc, but these represent an appropriation of public money into private hands rather than "regular" profit generation (which obviously also requires the active intervention of the state but isn't directly drawing tax dollars out of the public pool) and are also a tiny slice of profit-making generally, which is much more heavily concentrated in stuff like military contracting. the important takeaway here is that prison labor itself is expensive and inefficient and is never going to be the first-order goal of a capitalist state, just a second- or third-order consequence of a carceral regime

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Skechers actually bothered to audit their factories and supply lines and found no evidence of forced labour, unlike Nike which just swallowed the Zenz line on forced labour without checking.

The forced labour allegations are one of the weakest parts of the story because there's no supporting evidence, just 'concerns' about it.

Nike absolutely uses forced labor lol, them going "yeah ok sure" was them trying to hide the issue before people looked into it. I'd put it closer to Coca Cola or Nestle's slave poo poo they do

e: or it was a situation where they were like "we have so much forced labor going on it's really hard to tell which is which so lets just put out a nice paper and not worry about it"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

chinese state media being labeled as such while the BBC, voice of america, radio free asia, hell fuckin eliot higgins, not being labeled - it’s such obvious bullshit

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1375764569629601795?s=21

This seems like a big deal? Iran and china signed a 25 year strategic alliance treaty that china gives Iran 500 billion worth of investment into their country.

the Iranian government hates the U.S. and the Green Revolution urban liberal opposition hates Russia so nice compromise

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Junkozeyne posted:

omfg HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

what the gently caress NPR and the BBC are literally state funded

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1375764569629601795?s=21

This seems like a big deal? Iran and china signed a 25 year strategic alliance treaty that china gives Iran 500 billion worth of investment into their country.

lmao that America is a country that doesn't want to work with the rest of the world, took its ball, went home and now has to watch China make friends

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao that America is a country that doesn't want to work with the rest of the world, took its ball, went home and now has to watch China make friends

consequences of ripping up long standing agreements/treaties/trade deals on a whim who coulda thunk it

like what even is the point of entering into any real agreements or deals with america if the very next administration will very likely say gently caress you, take their ball, and go home

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Mar 27, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1375769604287569920

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

China is very good at not taking sides and just making solid deals in both countries' interests. Of course, you'll have to cut ties with a breakaway rebel province.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

THS posted:

chinese state media being labeled as such while the BBC, voice of america, radio free asia, hell fuckin eliot higgins, not being labeled - it’s such obvious bullshit
if the mods arent going to perma black moses can they at least put a warning label under his av that he is "US state-affiliated media"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

if the mods arent going to perma black moses can they at least put a warning label under his av that he is "US state-affiliated media"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/usatodayDC/status/1375151165915209732

THS
Sep 15, 2017

look people have always been saying china is gonna take over the world. there is no cold war. i repeat a cold war cannot happen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think china might last longer than joe biden

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Okay what are you going to do about it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tbh I'm kind of curious what happens to Myanmar because as far as I can tell the US basically dropped all their aid and China has been ignoring them, as they do, so it's really just the Junta vs the People at this point, unless there's another regional power i'm unaware of funding them.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I'm really worried it's going to spiral into another Syria, it feels like both the military and the civilian protestors aren't interested in backing down.

Is there any indication the various other rebel militias in Myanmar might take the protestors side? The War Nerd episode on the region indicated there's quite a few of them, but at the same time they seem as interested in liberal democracy as the military do.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1375939770531115009

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grapplejack posted:

what the gently caress NPR and the BBC are literally state funded

I'm not sure there's any difference in this distinction anyway. When you have states controlled by corporations, the corporate media they control are effectively state media as well.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

wonder how much money they are losing by not having those Shen Yun garbage shows.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rutibex posted:

i think china might last longer than joe biden

he said his watch

i think that ends around 4:30pm this time of life

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

sonatinas posted:

wonder how much money they are losing by not having those Shen Yun garbage shows.

They basically give the Epoch Times for free now because they pushed it so hard and then probably got a loss when Trump lost. They stopped distributing them entirely in my town like the week after Election Day.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

I appreciate that they added "(chinese communist party)" so nobody torches the community college of Philadelphia or something

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

hell, it makes sense to me. the united states has historically been very concerned with ethnically sourcing cotton

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Not So Fast posted:

I'm really worried it's going to spiral into another Syria, it feels like both the military and the civilian protestors aren't interested in backing down.

Is there any indication the various other rebel militias in Myanmar might take the protestors side? The War Nerd episode on the region indicated there's quite a few of them, but at the same time they seem as interested in liberal democracy as the military do.

the syrian civil war lasted as long as it has because it became a proxy war between america and russia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1375817306513797127

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The magnitsky act is based on the foundation that all the Russian state assets belong to putin and thus has trillions of dollars right?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SCS_Disputes/status/1375716864668524544

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

for fun, ask a liberal what they think actually happened in tiananmen square

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tiananmen Square (massacre)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1375701909886091266

weird how ughyur celebrities even exist in a country thats trying to genocide ughyurs

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

for fun, ask a liberal what they think actually happened in tiananmen square

Probably the exact same spoon fed media narrative I believed whole cloth as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Probably the exact same spoon fed media narrative I believed whole cloth as a kid

is there a coherent one? ill i remember is that there was a man vs tank and somehow thousands of people died

e: semi coherent even

F Stop Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Mar 28, 2021