Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Just rewatched Prometheus for the first time in a few years. Is it still generally disliked? I love the Alien franchise...so I can see why casual Alien fans were upset and/or disappointed...but all in all...I think it's a pretty fine film for the most part.

It’s one of my favorite Alien films besides the first two.

It’s what I want the sequel to be. Weird space adventure with a looming evil corporation behind it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Think we can all agree that Prometheus has great visuals aside from the ship. From the skylines to the chonky face hugger at the end, well done.
The ship could be in any sci-fi movie from the 80s onwards.
It's the characters and utter stupid actions they take that spoil Prometheus.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

happyhippy posted:

Think we can all agree that Prometheus has great visuals aside from the ship. From the skylines to the chonky face hugger at the end, well done.
The ship could be in any sci-fi movie from the 80s onwards.
It's the characters and utter stupid actions they take that spoil Prometheus.

I don't know how you could have lived through the past year and then complain about a character's stupidity ruining a movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterCat posted:

I don't know how you could have lived through the past year and then complain about a character's stupidity ruining a movie.

THE CHARACTERS IN COVENANT WERE SO STUPID WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST WEAR MASKS SO UNREALISTIC

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The characters in Prometheus are excellent actually.
Name a more iconic duo than Millburn and Fifield.

It's just wild because Prometheus is one of the best scifi films of the past twenty years, and people deride it for the dumbest poo poo.
Only Zack Snyder films meet the same level of derision.

Covenant is also great, fantastic gothic horror. Let Scott finish his trilogy already!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

wyoming posted:

The characters in Prometheus are excellent actually.
Name a more iconic duo than Millburn and Fifield.

It's just wild because Prometheus is one of the best scifi films of the past twenty years, and people deride it for the dumbest poo poo.
Only Zack Snyder films meet the same level of derision.

Covenant is also great, fantastic gothic horror. Let Scott finish his trilogy already!

I dont mind how the characters were dumb in Prometheus, especially since there were plot reasons AND it tied into the themes, but Dr. Manhattan/Barry Allen's dad really irks me in Covenant.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Darko posted:

I dont mind how the characters were dumb in Prometheus, especially since there were plot reasons AND it tied into the themes, but Dr. Manhattan/Barry Allen's dad really irks me in Covenant.

his character makes some... wild choices. the original script for the egg scene has a false start, just a few empty eggs before one that's occupied. which sort of made more sense rather than just peeking into the first one after the clear villain encourages him to.

incidentally he's been replaced by Ron Livingston as the flash's dad now

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

alf_pogs posted:

incidentally he's been replaced by Ron Livingston as the flash's dad now

What? Crudup is flash's dad in zsjl

edit: lol two tabs to the right i see someone has posted a tweet about this

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I think generally out in the mainstream public opinion yea it's still generally thought of as a bad movie and the standard opinion you're supposed to have is that it's bad.

Here you'll find opinions all over the place. Personally I think it's one of the 5 or 6 best sci-fi films we've seen in the 21st century so far.

Got it. Yeah...I remember being disappointed the first time I saw it as well. But I think each consecutive viewing has made me appreciate it more and more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PeterCat posted:

Fr

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just rewatched Covenant and the sequence from when they land on the planet to when David appears with the flare is some of the best most intense poo poo in any Alien film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want Alien: David Ascendant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just rewatched Covenant and the sequence from when they land on the planet to when David appears with the flare is some of the best most intense poo poo in any Alien film.

Yes I wish the whole movie had been more of this instead of Xenomorphs. Give me the planet of atrocities!!!!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Yes I wish the whole movie had been more of this instead of Xenomorphs. Give me the planet of atrocities!!!!

Might I suggest this book:

Alien Covenant: David’s Drawings https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785659243/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y21BKGVW4BZ9ADP2D4P7

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PeterCat posted:

Because the general populace isn't professional science-y types.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want Alien: David Ascendant.

I'm legit worried that Scott's going to die before Disney lets him finish this up and that'll be hosed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sigher posted:

Because the general populace isn't professional science-y types.

I'm legit worried that Scott's going to die before Disney lets him finish this up and that'll be hosed.

Preface, building on your post and not downing you.

A tip for Prometheus is that Weylands daughter definitely did not hire the professional science types as that would be entirely against her purpose. She hired the crew, which was Elba and folks who made every correct decision.

Also note that she ran to the side immediately and debris redirected her into straight while Shaw got lucky by tripping. For another thing that people didn't notice.

The Cinema Sins type don't even know about either of these things. It's frustrating.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah the movie rushes by it pretty quick but Weyland brings along pretty much a bunch of Dr Scott Atlas's, while Vickers hires Captain Sullenberger

Prometheus gets better every rewatch, it just cracks along. good fun

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sigher posted:

Steven Spielberg's dAvId

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I was disappointed with both seeing them initially, but I enjoy both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant more and more on rewatches. Definitely films comprised of parts which are individually better than the total of their parts.

Sincerely: the scores, all of the footage filmed in Iceland, Prometheus being probably the best filmed version of At The Mountains of Madness, Alien:Covenant arguably being the best version of The Island of Dr Moreau in recent memory. There's a lot of good poo poo there, much more than some hack doing some stab and slash film where the alien is the monster in the shadows again. Would love to see Scott do a third David film.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re both very pretty and got huge budgets for sci-fi films. They didn’t make that much money but they still made a profit. Wish movie studios let movies get made that don’t need to make a billion dollars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I really like the decision to take the alien back to its more bipedal origins. It's so unnerving to see it upright and behaving like a person. It has this odd curiosity about it in the original Alien, like it wants to play with its food.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

Preface, building on your post and not downing you.

A tip for Prometheus is that Weylands daughter definitely did not hire the professional science types as that would be entirely against her purpose. She hired the crew, which was Elba and folks who made every correct decision.

Also note that she ran to the side immediately and debris redirected her into straight while Shaw got lucky by tripping. For another thing that people didn't notice.

The Cinema Sins type don't even know about either of these things. It's frustrating.

Fun fact: the Weyland Yutani Report book clarified that Vickers DID hire the scientists, she just specifically picked the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to sabotage her dad’s mission. :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Weyland Yutani Report book clarified that Vickers DID hire the scientists, she just specifically picked the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to sabotage her dad’s mission. :v:

Whether or not she did it on purpose, she knew who the really important hires were going to be. The people who are responsible for getting you there and back in one piece need to actually be competent, everything after that doesn't matter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I really like the decision to take the alien back to its more bipedal origins. It's so unnerving to see it upright and behaving like a person. It has this odd curiosity about it in the original Alien, like it wants to play with its food.

I said it before but there’s a shot in Covenant where the alien walks into the ship hangar near the end of the movie and the way it walks into the room like a man is one of the most off-putting shots in the entire franchise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I said it before but there’s a shot in Covenant where the alien walks into the ship hangar near the end of the movie and the way it walks into the room like a man is one of the most off-putting shots in the entire franchise.

Off-putting in a good way or a bad way?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's gotta be good.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Xenomrph posted:

Off-putting in a good way or a bad way?

Not sexy. So your question still applies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene is so creepy.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As someone who knows several PhD scientists and doctors irl I assure you nerds that there is nothing unrealistic in how Milburn & Fifield or Shaw & Holloway behave.

Ever read stories about astronaut misadventures? Or watch nature programs where the zoologists traverse incredibly dangerous terrain? Ever drank with an archaeologist? Do you have any idea how many bad tattoos the average chemist has?

A doctorate won't prevent a building from falling on you. Expertise doesn't make you immune to panic or being horny or making bad decisions.

There's no contradiction between them being idiots and being the best in their particular fields.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Prometheus is kind of like almost a fun scary movie. It's got some disturbing bits, but all in all it's almost a romp for the viewer.

Covenant on the other hand felt a lot more "tense" I suppose. It doesn't have anything like the general atmosphere of Prometheus and is actually somewhat disturbing on the whole. The part where they show that one female character's head floating in the pool of water two times is just generally upsetting.

I think overall I enjoy watching Prometheus more than Covenant, but Covenant gives me more of the heavy pit of the stomach feeling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ruddiger posted:

1:50

https://youtu.be/5rcMAo1vplw

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I find the Xenomorph way more interesting and creepy when it moves like a human than when it moves like a Jurassic Park dinosaur. The former is nightmarish, the latter is just boring.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Country Roads, take me home...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Country Roads, take me home...

I love Prometheus, and Shaw is, by far, my favorite character in the franchise, so that Covenant promo with her singing "Country Road," almost as though it were a childhood lullaby as she was trying to think of something, anything else as David was doing unspeakable things to her, always ripped me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfs9ggTrjDY

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Timby posted:

I love Prometheus, and Shaw is, by far, my favorite character in the franchise, so that Covenant promo with her singing "Country Road," almost as though it were a childhood lullaby as she was trying to think of something, anything else as David was doing unspeakable things to her, always ripped me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfs9ggTrjDY

trapped alone with a michael fassbender who cannot gently caress

maybe it was a mercy killing after all

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Unfortunately I think women alone with Fassbender have received the David treatment in the past. :( I always think about that when he’s onscreen as David and as disgusting as it is it to say it kind of adds to his performance. Something perfect but not human and full of rage.

Not that I think wife beaters should be cast as androids. His amazing acting doesn’t cancel out his past.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Ugh, now he's comparable to Lowtax. Just ugh.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blood Boils posted:

As someone who knows several PhD scientists and doctors irl I assure you nerds that there is nothing unrealistic in how Milburn & Fifield or Shaw & Holloway behave.

The thing is: they're probably not even full PhD scientists or doctors. Only Shaw, her husband, and the actual medical doctor woman get called "doctor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

PeterWeller posted:

The thing is: they're probably not even full PhD scientists or doctors. Only Shaw, her husband, and the actual medical doctor woman get called "doctor".

Ok, Milburn and Fifield are just in grad school then. That explains why Fifield is so excited to get paid