Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'd assume a large part of the HoI4 playerbase just wants to get their nazi-wank on anyways unlike CK2/3 and EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fintilgin posted:

All the talk of V3 made me go back to V2, which I haven't touched in ages.

Started as USA for an easy relearning game and am getting trounced :lol:

Launched my Manifest Destiny war, but I kept getting invaded by the UK for New England despite multiple reloads, so I reloaded and bailed early on the war with just a couple states and then the UK left me be. Fine, I waited out my truce and invaded again and this time Spain intervened in the war and dropped 60 brigades in New England and :lol:

If I reload and try again it looks like it will takes ages to get enough influence to knock Mexico/Spain down off friendly. Is there any point? Can Spain just reincrease to friendly during the war and join again?

I don't ever remember this being a tough thing to pull off back in the day, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. :(

Assuming you are playing in Vanilla, when your first truce expires with Mexico just focus on influencing them, you can even stop influencing any other nation. If you go whole hog like that generally the AI loses interest. Then bump down UK/Spain to Cordial, and if you're really paranoid ban their embassy.

Also you may already know this, but if Mexico makes another ally like Colombia, they won't be able to join the war if they are sphered by you.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Don Gato posted:

One of the devs has posted here that one of the problems that they keep running into is that the people who are the most passionate about working on HoI tend to be the kind of far right fucknuts you don't want to work with.

Or plain crazy!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

All the talk of V3 made me go back to V2, which I haven't touched in ages.

Started as USA for an easy relearning game and am getting trounced :lol:

Launched my Manifest Destiny war, but I kept getting invaded by the UK for New England despite multiple reloads, so I reloaded and bailed early on the war with just a couple states and then the UK left me be. Fine, I waited out my truce and invaded again and this time Spain intervened in the war and dropped 60 brigades in New England and :lol:

If I reload and try again it looks like it will takes ages to get enough influence to knock Mexico/Spain down off friendly. Is there any point? Can Spain just reincrease to friendly during the war and join again?

I don't ever remember this being a tough thing to pull off back in the day, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. :(

I’m getting flashbacks of the daily pre civil war popup spam.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rynoto posted:

I'd assume a large part of the HoI4 playerbase just wants to get their nazi-wank on anyways unlike CK2/3 and EU4.

Even beyond that, the game covers a very limited time period, and WW2 dominates that period. So they can do some limited regional wars and stuff, but there isn't really a potential for someone to spend centuries building up and totally flip history upside down the way it is in the other games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grevlek posted:

From me, but another person can come along, who never purchased the game. They can then buy HOI4, and all the DLC, and Paradox did nothing to spur that sale.

If they make a new DLC, they can extract an additional 10~20 from me.

if they do nothing, and attract a new player, they can get 40+10x#dlc purchased.

*edit - you know how you do nothing and attract new players? mods.

also diminishing returns was not referenced. marginal revenue and marginal costs are the concerns here.
While you're not technically wrong in that Paradox COULD just sit back and collect some passive revenue from HoI4 for a while, a new expansion would still be a new product to sell to a large content-starved playerbase. Is new content strictly necessary to continue earning money off the game? No. Would they earn even more money if they put out new content anyway? Yes, absolutely.

Paradox devs have explained in this thread about how they've struggled to find talented new developers that are a good fit for the HoI team and are willing to stick around to produce multiple pieces of content. I'd wager the content drought has far more to do with that than any other factors.

Grevlek posted:

i'm saying that every single piece of economic literature regarding a monopoly, suggests that they maximize profits not by meeting customer demand, but by holding something back. it's not my opinion, it's adam smith's if you have a problem take it up with that dude
lol

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

OddObserver posted:

Even beyond that, the game covers a very limited time period, and WW2 dominates that period. So they can do some limited regional wars and stuff, but there isn't really a potential for someone to spend centuries building up and totally flip history upside down the way it is in the other games.

Converter guy here! You can, it just takes more games than just HoI4. Which I guess it to your original point.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rynoto posted:

Ironically I commit far more genocides in CK3 and EU4 than I ever did in HoI

I've never actually played HoI but still

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

trapped mouse posted:

Assuming you are playing in Vanilla, when your first truce expires with Mexico just focus on influencing them, you can even stop influencing any other nation. If you go whole hog like that generally the AI loses interest. Then bump down UK/Spain to Cordial, and if you're really paranoid ban their embassy.

Also you may already know this, but if Mexico makes another ally like Colombia, they won't be able to join the war if they are sphered by you.

Hmm, okay thanks, I'll give it a go.

EDIT: OOH! I forgot the little priority buttons to increase the speed at which my influence goes up. Lots of little interface things I've forgotten.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 27, 2021

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

OddObserver posted:

can’t you reconquer brazil as portugal in vanilla HOI4

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can do some crazy ahistorical stuff in HoI4 but there's no real knock-on effects because the game is basically over once you do it. Like it's not a good game to ask the question "what would the world be like if Portugal re-absorbed Brazil?" because the only answer it's going to give you is "Portugal would have a larger manpower pool and more military factories".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

BgRdMchne posted:

I’m getting flashbacks of the daily pre civil war popup spam.

Wickedness must be stamped out!

OddObserver posted:

This period is extremely well documented. The war has affected everyone in the world. You have millions of things to represent. For those who participated in the war there are always more possible plans and alternatives, interesting events. For those who didn't participate there are still a lot of events and possibilities.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's pretty funny how the soviet union has less content than mexico. still.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I hope HoI4 is gearing up for a big revamp with the Barbarossa patch and that's why it's been so abnormally quiet from that team for so long

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The USSR is going to get a massive new focus tree of which 3/4ths is new althistory monarchist and fascist paths. The historical path will be the weakest.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
eu4 and ck2/3 you can bullshit up new mechanics with relative ease, but hoi4 is just ww2 and rubbing mans against each other, so far with all the bs'd up new mechanics largely being legit trash garbage like espionage

although still no ussr so lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

I have to believe the next expansion is going to be ussr focused so they can make the joke that this was part of the 5 year plan.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

really queer Christmas posted:

I have to believe the next expansion is going to be ussr focused so they can make the joke that this was part of the 5 year plan.

:pray:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mantis42 posted:

two expansions ago the devs said they were waiting for an expansion to focus on the USSR, but then each expansion takes a year and a half and adds, uh, a naval designer for like three people, and content trees for..portugal and greece. so it'll be a decade or so

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

At this point "Five Year Plan" would be the best name for the Soviet DLC.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can do some crazy ahistorical stuff in HoI4 but there's no real knock-on effects because the game is basically over once you do it. Like it's not a good game to ask the question "what would the world be like if Portugal re-absorbed Brazil?" because the only answer it's going to give you is "Portugal would have a larger manpower pool and more military factories".

This is bad enough on its own, but coming off the back of TNO it's simply comical. It would be cool if Portugal got bogged down in some bat poo poo insane South American conflict with tons of flavour and chances for the other powers to get involved and for South America not to be the most boring place on Earth in the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I had a single playthrough of HoI4 a few years after the release. I played as the Soviet Union. I didn't understand anything that happens and I turned most of Europe Communist by the end of the game. I'd think that this is a game about playing as someone apart from majors, but only the majors get any content, so I don't get it. Maybe people don't joke when they say it's a platform for mods.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The opposite is true, they’ve been giving minor nations content instead of the soviet union or italy

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I haven't played for a while. Anyway I'm talking about a systemic approach. In, say, CK3 every single minor count might have a situtation as interesting as an emperor, cause the game cares about counts. When your base game systems are about managing multi-front warfare, and other core systems (politics and focuses) are all about custom made content for specific country - you know that the game doesn't want you to play as El Salvador. And if you try you get a clone army of general portraits.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

ilitarist posted:

I had a single playthrough of HoI4 a few years after the release. I played as the Soviet Union. I didn't understand anything that happens and I turned most of Europe Communist by the end of the game. I'd think that this is a game about playing as someone apart from majors, but only the majors get any content, so I don't get it. Maybe people don't joke when they say it's a platform for mods.

When you look at the care and content Stellaris gets compared to HoI, it's pretty apparent that PDX likely doesn't have a clear direction or vision for the game, or at least one they aren't really passionate about. Not to mention that HoI gets considerably less content despite releasing like two weeks or so apart.

Right now, rather than focus trees or weird alt history poo poo that doesn't do anything, they need to focus on really fleshing out the scope and sense of scale of the conflict. WWII was unbelievable in size and the eastern front was basically the apocalypse in terms of carnage, yet you really don't get immersed in the war and everything just feels pretty low key really. Barbossa feels like it goes way too quickly, the war in the pacific is uh.. something? The North African front is laughably poo poo and no one knows what's going on at sea.

You guys can poo poo on HOI 3 all day, but it felt way more atmospheric and the sheer sense of scale was definitely much more realised, especially when you saw the eastern front. Whenever I boot up HOI4, I feel like those guys early on in WWI, thinking the war will be won by xmas because the Germans are stupid and everything will go pretty fast. But in HoI 3, warts and all, I feel like the war will be lasting some time and its best to get comfortable. Even though HoI 3 also often suffers from conflicts going way too fast or feeling crap, it at least it sold itself as a WWII game, which goes a long way tbh.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BillBear posted:

You guys can poo poo on HOI 3 all day, but it felt way more atmospheric and the sheer sense of scale was definitely much more realised, especially when you saw the eastern front.

yeah i guess wanting to commit suicide after seeing it is a much more historical reaction

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

War in the East 2 just came out so I'll probably never touch unmodded HoI4 again, because yeah it's really not great at feeling like it's actually about WW2 despite being one of the most popular WW2-themed strategy games of all time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People really look at a 128 euro video game and think "What this game needs is more DLC to feel complete". drat.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The next dlc better touch up the USSR, and preferably the air game in some way. The pacific needs some love as well; the island hopping campaigns were a significant part of the conflict but the game allows you to completely sidestep it, and actually encourage you to, since it’s micro-managy for small gains.

The question is what can be done in that regard.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm still a huge noob when it comes to CK, despite playing 2 a bunch. I've just been playing past the tutorial in 3 and wanted to confirm a mistake I think I made.

After having titles to most of Ireland and two sons only, my soulmate wife died and I remarried someone for a big prestige boost, who happened to be a fornicator I could have imprisoned with no tyranny.

I didn't, though, and we had multiple sons and then I died, so now my new guy has to contend with those sons to get back the 7 titles lost due to confederation partition inheritance (I think that's what it is called).

My previous guy could have created the kingdom of Ireland, but didn't have enough money before he died. If that was my goal, am I correct that remarrying and having more kids actually made that more difficult?

Like, I should have stayed unmarried or if I did get the wife I chose, should have imprisoned her right away to not risk having more kids?

Until I can change the inheritance laws, what's the general strategy to avoid having inconvenient heirs? I don't mind the narrative but winning back titles I already had feels like retreading the same ground and I'd like to minimize that if possible moving forward.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm still a huge noob when it comes to CK, despite playing 2 a bunch. I've just been playing past the tutorial in 3 and wanted to confirm a mistake I think I made.

After having titles to most of Ireland and two sons only, my soulmate wife died and I remarried someone for a big prestige boost, who happened to be a fornicator I could have imprisoned with no tyranny.

I didn't, though, and we had multiple sons and then I died, so now my new guy has to contend with those sons to get back the 7 titles lost due to confederation partition inheritance (I think that's what it is called).

My previous guy could have created the kingdom of Ireland, but didn't have enough money before he died. If that was my goal, am I correct that remarrying and having more kids actually made that more difficult?

Like, I should have stayed unmarried or if I did get the wife I chose, should have imprisoned her right away to not risk having more kids?

Until I can change the inheritance laws, what's the general strategy to avoid having inconvenient heirs? I don't mind the narrative but winning back titles I already had feels like retreading the same ground and I'd like to minimize that if possible moving forward.

The number of kids you have is a balancing act. Until you've unlocked Primogeniture, you don't want too many sons because it makes succession messy. But having daughters to marry off for alliances is a good thing. And it can help you in the long run to position dynasty members to inherit foreign titles and spread your dynasty far and wide because having more rulers of your dynasty increases your dynasty's renown, and the dynasty head gets a cheap "claim title" interaction over foreign dynasty members.

If you want to be married for the stats/alliance but don't want to have any more kids, then you could marry a woman over 45, or you could go down the medicine lifestyle tree to unlock the decision to adopt/abandon celibacy.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 29, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mans posted:

People really look at a 128 euro video game and think "What this game needs is more DLC to feel complete". drat.

Yeah people look at a game they like and want more content.

I guess this is shocking, but trust me it’s pretty common

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like did you know fighting game enthusiasts will buy more characters to fight with

hosed up I know

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like did you know fighting game enthusiasts will buy more characters to fight with

hosed up I know

This but unironically

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is a Paradox game if not a fighting game where the characters are countries?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I actually unironically agree with that

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Not to join in on the negativity parade but I played vanilla hoi4 with a friend on Saturday and then by myself yesterday and my conclusion is I'm never playing vanilla hoi4 again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Not to join in on the negativity parade but I played vanilla hoi4 with a friend on Saturday and then by myself yesterday and my conclusion is I'm never playing vanilla hoi4 again.

Why did you play it to begin with

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gort posted:

Why did you play it to begin with

Neither of us had played in months and thought it would be fun to stomp around and just have fun. No fun was had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Myself and two friends have been having a blast playing EU4 weekly. One of us is more experienced, but it's more or less the first long term campaign for the other two of us and its been cool seeing how the game unfolds.

Having human allies is a really good safety net and it's one of the most fun co-op experiences I've had, to be honest, because the scope is so huge.