Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1375584613075156995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Only 46 and I'm pretty sure the diagnosis was made very recently. RIP Mike, thanks for giving some of your precious time to the Twins

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Love 2 run a $40m payroll when revenues are $220m.
look it costs $180M a year to operate a stadium ok

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Moving the ASG out of Atlanta would probably piss off a ton of Braves fans, and I'm all for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I get the Rays stadium sucks and all, but the NHL team right up the street has been rocking an 80-90 mil payroll for years now. If the NHL team in the same city is spending more than you, that's just not good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

blossommirage posted:

Moving the ASG out of Atlanta would probably piss off a ton of Braves fans, and I'm all for it.

Does anyone actually care about the ASG these days though?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Intruder posted:

Probably not, but it's 'bringing politics into sports' and being vaguely leftist in any way. My dad didn't even watch baseball last year because he remembered there's a players union due to The Thing and he didn't like that. Didn't even watch when we got to the NLCS for the first time in twenty years.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Intruder posted:

The last ASG was packed and people were all over Cleveland. It largely exists in the same place as baseball generally, it isn't a huge cultural event but it is still a big thing for the league and the host city. If the players actually got them to pull it, it would be huge.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Hmm. Hard to tell because of the pandemic, but something in the 10-12/300m-350m range? Mookie has been a slightly better player and signed for 12/365m.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anecdotally does anyone remember a case of a guy just annihilating baseballs left and right in spring training not immediately going into the shitter once the season starts, i'm asking this for important personal reasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

The last ASG was packed and people were all over Cleveland. It largely exists in the same place as baseball generally, it isn't a huge cultural event but it is still a big thing for the league and the host city. If the players actually got them to pull it, it would be huge.

I didn’t go to the actual 2019 ASG, but I was there visiting family the week beforehand so I went to the Exhibition thing they set up. It was surprisingly decent! Got to see a bunch of Jackie Robinson stuff from the HOF and meet some of the surviving Rockford Peaches.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bryse Wilson seems to have, for now, won the fifth starter job over Kyle Wright but was optioned today as Atlanta apparently plans to minmax the roster, carrying an extra reliever and throwing a bullpen game until they actually need a fifth starter in the second week of April.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

anecdotally does anyone remember a case of a guy just annihilating baseballs left and right in spring training not immediately going into the shitter once the season starts, i'm asking this for important personal reasons.

Chris Colabello OPS'd .974 in spring in 2014 and had .827 in April.

Don't look at the rest of the year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

My dad didn't even watch baseball last year because he remembered there's a players union due to The Thing and he didn't like that. Didn't even watch when we got to the NLCS for the first time in twenty years.
this is some galaxy brain sports fandom

R.D. Mangles posted:

Joc spending one of his handful of hot streaks per year on spring training this season is a smart move, get Cubs fans overhyped

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1375625125165330432

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Look he's gotta work on his defense.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow, can't believe they actually are gonna try and do it. This has to be a slam dunk case for his service time fuckery case his lawyers should be working on right this second.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's what we thought about Kris Bryant

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That's what we thought about Kris Bryant

that's not true, kris bryant constant barrage of spring training dingers were not clearing the fence in the exact way that the cubs thought was optimal and he was clearly going to spend 2015 in the minor leagues until cubs superstar Mike Olt got injured

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'll believe MLB can lose a service time manipulation case when I see it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bryant's case had the very thin veneer of "needs defensive work and Mike Olt is here. Oh shoot look at that Mike Olt got injured at the exact perfect time."

It was obvious to everyone but at least the front office never publicaly stated they were manipulating his time like Kelenic. If ever there was a case that would win this has to be it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^
Also Olt broke his wrist before Bryant could be called up with an extra year, and coincidentally the team docter who looked at him thought he was fine so he played another week of games where he clearly should have been on the DL, and was then "re-evaluated" and determined to need to hit the DL just right when the Cubs wanted to call KB up.

Kelenic apparently started spring with a knee injury and got into the action late, which is why he only has 18 AB's and my guess is the Mariners will try to spin it as "we're not manipulating his service time, he's just not had enough time to ramp up because of the injury to start opening day." And of course with the MiLB season not starting for an extra month the only AB's he'll get will be behind closed doors at the team alternate site, where they can make up any bullshit they want about him until he qualifies for super-two.

That said Kelenic definitely has a better case than Bryant does - apparently Bryant's loss hinged on the Cubs never publicly saying they kept him down for service time reasons, and they didn't find anything in discovery to prove it. With Kelenic though the team CEO outright stated an intent to manipulate service time, and if the MLBPA is even halfway competent (I know, lol) they should have immediately filed to get all of Mather's internal communications to get placed on a legal hold.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In 2014, I bought one of the extremely expensive 'all hits!' Topps boxes. One of my autographs was Mike Olt.

It worked out because it taught me to never buy one of those again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kumar Rocker might lose #1 draft pick to his own teammate Jack Leiter lol. Vanderbilt is pretty insane this year.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Rocker has been penciled into the Pirates at #1 overall for so long that I'd imagine they've 98% got a deal in place. Even if Leiter is the better pitcher of the two, there's no way the Pirates will throw together a deal to sign him for what he can bring on short notice.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Luke Voit has a meniscus tear and is out at least 3 weeks, making Jay Bruce the Yankees opening day first baseman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Congrats Nico, you hit so well in Spring this year that the Cubs are giving you the ultimate honor: considering your service time worth enough to manipulate!

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1375664322144305158

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this organization is a loving joke

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Luke Voit has a meniscus tear and is out at least 3 weeks, making Jay Bruce the Yankees opening day first baseman.

It's really unbelievable how horrible a job the Yankees as an organization do at keeping their players healthy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
While I'm sure it's service time fuckery, Nico's 2020 ended up mediocre enough where I don't mind him getting more time to hopefully continue mashing against AAA pitching. It REALLY seems to have helped Happ. Almora shoulda had the same thing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yangervis Solarte is the only guy I remember having a really good camp and then turning that into an actual career

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit I really wanted to see Yoked Nico mashing this season.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Panda made the Braves roster.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

While I'm sure it's service time fuckery, Nico's 2020 ended up mediocre enough where I don't mind him getting more time to hopefully continue mashing against AAA pitching. It REALLY seems to have helped Happ. Almora shoulda had the same thing.

He'll only get to have like 6 games at AAA, right?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

skaboomizzy posted:

Rocker has been penciled into the Pirates at #1 overall for so long that I'd imagine they've 98% got a deal in place. Even if Leiter is the better pitcher of the two, there's no way the Pirates will throw together a deal to sign him for what he can bring on short notice.

this doesn’t make any sense, nor does it correspond in any way to the team’s history in the draft

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
as far as hilarious spring training statistics go Kevin Newman is 2-2 today to raise his batting average to .731

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

this organization is a loving joke

I assume you're referring to MLB in general if you mean because of service time fuckery

mcmagic posted:

It's really unbelievable how horrible a job the Yankees as an organization do at keeping their players healthy.

How exactly is the org responsible for a meniscus tear

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

How exactly is the org responsible for a meniscus tear

I literally have no idea but they have a bazillion injuries every year. I doubt it's JUST bad luck every single year...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Popete posted:

Kumar Rocker might lose #1 draft pick to his own teammate Jack Leiter lol. Vanderbilt is pretty insane this year.

Stupid rear end al leiter telling his kid to go to college instead of signing with the yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

The Pirates will absolutely pick Leiter over Rocker for the exact same reason the Cardinals fan base loves Harrison Bader and hated Dexter Fowler.