Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pollyanna posted:

How was CrossCode? I saw the LP post and the trailer makes it look kinda fun, but I’m seeing some chatter about it getting tedious and clunky at times.

Crosscode is pretty great but I’m one of those that didn’t like the puzzles. I wouldn’t really call them Zelda style puzzles since they are more execution focused. It was fairly easy for me to figure out what to do but I had a rough time actually getting the timing right without getting pissed off. The first two dungeons are massive and full of these puzzles back to back so it really wore thin for me over time. I probably just wasn’t in the right mood for the game at the time. I also have a hori split pad now so maybe that’ll help but I also bought Rise so goodbye every other game on my backlog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm, sounds like pacing issues. And if the hard part is doing the puzzles instead of figuring them out, that’s frustrating.

I might get it once I’m in the mood, it looks very pretty and I like the premise. By all accounts the story’s decent, I’ve heard?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I love the story. It features the most impressive use of a "silent" protagonist in any game I've ever played. The way Lea manages to express herself without having access to normal speech is extremely well done. And the other characters are good too.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

There's an option to lower the difficulty of the puzzles so the timing windows can be as generous as you want. I honestly have no idea how someone could get pissed off by them, unless they didn't notice it.

It is very much a game where the devs wanted the game to be 100% worthy of the players time and attention, for better or worse. Like mentioned in the LP thread, I think, it goes hard basically every second of it's runtime. Just full-throttle, hey-there's-a-dozen-secret-chests-in-this-map-can-you-escape-my-timed-puzzle-dimension-oops-here's-a-boss-now. I have a hard time thinking of a game that has so much thought dripping out of basically every inch, while expecting so much out of the player. Maybe Baba is You? The puzzles are a bit less dazzlingly good, but having the second best puzzles on the system behind that one is quite the achievement though.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 27, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

catgirlgenius posted:

There's an option to lower the difficulty of the puzzles so the timing windows can be as generous as you want. I honestly have no idea how someone could get pissed off by them, unless they didn't notice it.

It is very much a game where the devs wanted the game to be 100% worthy of the players time and attention, for better or worse. Like mentioned in the LP thread, I think, it goes hard basically every second of it's runtime. Just full-throttle, hey-there's-a-dozen-secret-chests-in-this-map-can-you-escape-my-timed-puzzle-dimension-oops-here's-a-boss-now. I have a hard time thinking of a game that has so much thought dripping out of basically every inch, while expecting so much out of the player. Maybe Baba is You? The puzzles are a bit less dazzlingly good, but having the second best puzzles on the system behind that one is quite the achievement though.

Yeah this is how I feel. Some of the execution was tough but I was so glad I persevered. I did practically everything there is to do in the game (really only skipped the arena).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If the difficulty is adjustable, then I’m up for it once I have a fully working joycon.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just got a Switch, and I'm finding I use portable mode more than expected. I need to save my poor joints, though, so I'm looking into a couple of options and trying to decide what to get. I'm planning to carry the Switch with me to work to play on my lunch break, so that's a factor to consider, too.

- Satisfye grip + case
- Hori Split Pad Pro (+ case I guess)

Any strong feelings about one over the other? I have an 8bitdo Pro 2 coming next month for things like MH Rise while at home (and to replace my aging 360 controller), so the bonus features like back paddles on the Hori Split aren't as much of a selling point. I guess whichever is more comfortable?

It's ridiculous how many accessories I'm buying for this thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Just got a Switch, and I'm finding I use portable mode more than expected. I need to save my poor joints, though, so I'm looking into a couple of options and trying to decide what to get. I'm planning to carry the Switch with me to work to play on my lunch break, so that's a factor to consider, too.

- Satisfye grip + case

Any strong feelings about one over the other? I have an 8bitdo Pro 2 coming next month for things like MH Rise while at home (and to replace my aging 360 controller), so the bonus features like back paddles on the Hori Split aren't as much of a selling point. I guess whichever is more comfortable?

I don’t have any experience with the split pad pro but the satisfye grip is great imo. Makes it much more comfortable to play handheld

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The only thing I don't like about the Split Pad Pro is that in my own personal use case, I have an official Splatoon face plate on my Switch dock, which will not allow my Switch to be docked if the Split Pad Pro is attached due to the tiny bit of clearance it removes. That's my only criticism of it, and it absolutely doesn't matter for 99% of Switch users.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Satisfye grip is essential. Makes it so much more comfortable.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Split pad kind of ruins the form factor and turns it into a batarang but it gives me peace of mind in case the joy cons start stick drifting

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

How's the Satisfye Grip if you have small hands? Extended undocked time makes my wrists hurt, so a solution would be groovy, but I'm concerned the grip could make the shoulder buttons harder to use.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Amorphous Abode posted:

Roundguard is 50% off in the US eshop right now. It's what you get when you take Peggle and shake it around in a bag full of crunched up roguelike conventions and D&D clichés and then top it off with a light dusting of dumb jokes that don't land. It's alright!

Didn't plan to lose my entire morning to this but here we are

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Xalidur posted:

How's the Satisfye Grip if you have small hands? Extended undocked time makes my wrists hurt, so a solution would be groovy, but I'm concerned the grip could make the shoulder buttons harder to use.

I don't have small hands but I can't imagine it making shoulder buttons hard to reach. It doesn't really add bulk to the switch. It gives you an area to hold it with your middle, ring, and little fingers. It feels like using a normal controller. Using my Switch in HH without my satisfye grip is unfathomable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Xalidur posted:

I'm a dude with hands on the small end and the grip is a godsend.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't have small hands but I can't imagine it making shoulder buttons hard to reach. It doesn't really add bulk to the switch. It gives you an area to hold it with your middle, ring, and little fingers. It feels like using a normal controller. Using my Switch in HH without my satisfye grip is unfathomable.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a dude with hands on the small end and the grip is a godsend.

Thanks to you both. As a tiny man who has to ask his wife to get things from the top shelf for him, I was a little wary of all the reviews that began with "as someone with large/medium hands..." But it sounds worth a try! And the price is right.

I'll provide a trip report for anyone else who is keeping our world beautiful by making sure all shapes and sizes are in it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If nothing else, it will save your wrists. Having to kinda square up on the base Switch hurts something fierce after an hour, for me.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

If nothing else, it will save your wrists. Having to kinda square up on the base Switch hurts something fierce after an hour, for me.

Very much the same. RPGs are fine, but I'm all about Monster Hunter Rise now, and I fear for my health.

And for my Joycons: MH Generations forced me to get a new 3DS because I broke a joystick, MHGU is when my first Joycons went into nasty drift... It's a thing.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mega64 posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS PEGGLE

repiv posted:

on your phone, new and improved with a bottomless pit of microtransactions

I have an original iPad with the original Peggle app and I've held on to it for pretty much just that reason. Didn't buy Nights though :negative:

Australia never got the Peggle DS game but one of these days I'm going to get around to importing one from the US.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

More like....

RUDE MONSTER HUNTER

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does the satisfye grip help with hand cramping when playing and lying on your back?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

For me it does, yes. The satisfye pretty much completely removed all cramping and discomfort in handheld mode for me.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Xcom: Chimera Squad has been rated by PEGI for consoles, including Switch. Hot drat, it's perfect for Swotch.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have peggle hd on the 360 and it's a ton of fun, but a real pain in the rear end to get it set up for toilet playing. Generally I've poo poo or pissed myself before I get everything plugged in and turned on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fun Times! posted:

Does the satisfye grip help with hand cramping when playing and lying on your back?

Oh yeah. I don't do it much but being able to rest the handle in the heel of your palm is very comfy like that.

Chimera Squad is highly tempting even though I finished it twice on PC.
For those that don't know, CS is everything great about modern XCOM put in to a very sleek package.

No more hunkering down, setting up kill boxes and waiting for turn after turn for aliens to show up. You're the aggressor, you influence the beginning round of each fight and the characters are actual characters with personality and unique skills.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

- Satisfye grip + case

I was always a Satisfye grip guy but recently converted to the Skull n co grip case. Comes with three different sized attachments and actually fits in the dock. Both are great and in my opinion essential that you have one or the other.

https://skullnco.com/products/gripcase-for-nintendo-switch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot drat portable chimera squad. The only thing I would change about that game is... I would make more of it. Because I beat it already.
I didn't do a second play-through with the characters I missed in the first go-round though so... that's my justification to replay.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Any strong feelings about one over the other?
The thing I appreciate about the Switch is that it comes with everything in the box you need to use it in either docked or handheld modes, and it comes with everything you need to play two player games. It's the first Nintendo console to do this since, what, the Super Nintendo? The only real mandatory accessory is a SD card, and maybe a case.

So I don't mind purchasing Switch accessories because they feel like genuine improvements, not something I need to buy to get a baseline experience.

Compare to the Wii (I don't own a Wii U) where you basically need to purchase a second remote, a second nunchuk, rechargeable batteries, and later at least one Wii Motion Plus--one comes with Sports Resort which was the main game it was needed for before Skyward Sword. I also bought a second wheel for Mario Kart because, while that wasn't the best way to play, it really only made sense to have two for two players.

So what Switch accessories did I actually buy, geez well:
  • A second pair of Joycons (Mario Party)
  • A Pro Controller
  • An 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ (which I also use on PC)
  • An 8BitDo SN30 Pro 2 (preorder)
  • Two Hori d-pad left Joycons (second as a backup as it was on sale and I thought it they were discontinuing them)
  • A Hori Split Pad Pro
  • A carrying case
  • A second OEM dock
  • A Genki Covert Dock
  • 64, 128, 256, 400, and 512 GB SD cards (upgrading as the price fell on larger sizes--was able to repurpose smaller ones)
  • A Ringcon (comes with Ring Fit)
  • The Starlink mount (came with Starlink)
  • A Flip Grip
  • Whatever accessories come with the four LABO kits that I bought on clearance and have yet to open

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RZA Encryption posted:

I have peggle hd on the 360 and it's a ton of fun, but a real pain in the rear end to get it set up for toilet playing. Generally I've poo poo or pissed myself before I get everything plugged in and turned on.

Ya got peggled, son.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 27, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Oh yeah. I don't do it much but being able to rest the handle in the heel of your palm is very comfy like that.

Chimera Squad is highly tempting even though I finished it twice on PC.
For those that don't know, CS is everything great about modern XCOM put in to a very sleek package.

No more hunkering down, setting up kill boxes and waiting for turn after turn for aliens to show up. You're the aggressor, you influence the beginning round of each fight and the characters are actual characters with personality and unique skills.

Oh! I like the sound of this. I like Modern X-Com it's cool and hard and strategic but does Chimera squad also do the Base part of it or is it just fights? I never much cared for the base-building. Sort of stresses me out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh! I like the sound of this. I like Modern X-Com it's cool and hard and strategic but does Chimera squad also do the Base part of it or is it just fights? I never much cared for the base-building. Sort of stresses me out.

It's mostly the fighting.
You have to take care of the health of the city, broken in to districts, to make sure panic doesn't get too high.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

not a bot posted:

Xcom: Chimera Squad has been rated by PEGI for consoles, including Switch. Hot drat, it's perfect for Swotch.

Hope they invest more time into it than the xcom 2 ports. Ps4 version still contains game breaking bugs.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I'm playing Monster Hunter: Rise which has Amiibo support and I'm noticing something odd.

I use an Action Replay PowerSaves PowerTag as my Amiibo stand-in and no matter what I set it to, the game seems to consider the PowerTag a single device. It's not that the tag doesn't work right, because I can change it between the 3 MH:R Amiibo and get the 3 exclusive things they give, but the game will only let me run the lotto 1 time a day saying that the Amiibo was already used today.

Anyone understand the underlying tech here to determine why this happens? It feels like Nintendo is finally trying to thwart the PowerTag in some way.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Thanks y'all! After consulting with a friend with bad joint problems who uses and recommends the Satisfye grip, and with your recommendations for it, I pulled the trigger on it today. Grabbed a bundle with a case for it, too, so I can bring it with me to work. I checked and the case will juuuuuust fit in my work bag. I'm pretty excited!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The thing I appreciate about the Switch is that it comes with everything in the box you need to use it in either docked or handheld modes, and it comes with everything you need to play two player games. It's the first Nintendo console to do this since, what, the Super Nintendo? The only real mandatory accessory is a SD card, and maybe a case.

So I don't mind purchasing Switch accessories because they feel like genuine improvements, not something I need to buy to get a baseline experience.

Compare to the Wii (I don't own a Wii U) where you basically need to purchase a second remote, a second nunchuk, rechargeable batteries, and later at least one Wii Motion Plus--one comes with Sports Resort which was the main game it was needed for before Skyward Sword. I also bought a second wheel for Mario Kart because, while that wasn't the best way to play, it really only made sense to have two for two players.

So what Switch accessories did I actually buy, geez well:
  • A second pair of Joycons (Mario Party)
  • A Pro Controller
  • An 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ (which I also use on PC)
  • An 8BitDo SN30 Pro 2 (preorder)
  • Two Hori d-pad left Joycons (second as a backup as it was on sale and I thought it they were discontinuing them)
  • A Hori Split Pad Pro
  • A carrying case
  • A second OEM dock
  • A Genki Covert Dock
  • 64, 128, 256, 400, and 512 GB SD cards (upgrading as the price fell on larger sizes--was able to repurpose smaller ones)
  • A Ringcon (comes with Ring Fit)
  • The Starlink mount (came with Starlink)
  • A Flip Grip
  • Whatever accessories come with the four LABO kits that I bought on clearance and have yet to open

This is a really fair take! I haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast, but I suppose I've bought all kinds of small QoL stuff for my PCs over the years, so I guess it shouldn't be that strange to me. And honestly? The console itself wasn't actually that expensive, so the extra stuff hurts way less (especially for my joints, heh.)

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 28, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DaveKap posted:

So I'm playing Monster Hunter: Rise which has Amiibo support and I'm noticing something odd.

I use an Action Replay PowerSaves PowerTag as my Amiibo stand-in and no matter what I set it to, the game seems to consider the PowerTag a single device. It's not that the tag doesn't work right, because I can change it between the 3 MH:R Amiibo and get the 3 exclusive things they give, but the game will only let me run the lotto 1 time a day saying that the Amiibo was already used today.

Anyone understand the underlying tech here to determine why this happens? It feels like Nintendo is finally trying to thwart the PowerTag in some way.
I don't have a PowerTag but I'm guessing monhan just looks at the chip's serial number since they don't actually care which amiibos you use for the lottery as long as they're unique, and PowerTag probably doesn't change it's serial number. Most amiibo games are the opposite and don't give a poo poo about serial numbers and instead work entirely off the amiibo specific data.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Peggle's fine and all but Konami needs to rererelease Harmony of Despair on the Switch for like $20 and with all the overpriced DLC included in it so I don't need to dig out my 360 whenever I want to play it (and multiplayer still works if you're connecting directly with friends) and then they need to make a Harmony of Despair 2 and no that mobile game doesn't count.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks y'all! After consulting with a friend with bad joint problems who uses and recommends the Satisfye grip, and with your recommendations for it, I pulled the trigger on it today. Grabbed a bundle with a case for it, too, so I can bring it with me to work. I checked and the case will juuuuuust fit in my work bag. I'm pretty excited!

This is a really fair take! I haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast, but I suppose I've bought all kinds of small QoL stuff for my PCs over the years, so I guess it shouldn't be that strange to me. And honestly? The console itself wasn't actually that expensive, so the extra stuff hurts way less (especially for my joints, heh.)

Something I might also recommend is a screen protecter, the amFilm was the go-to when I got mine three years ago but I'm not sure if there's a new one anyone would suggest . They look really nice and work like a charm, my screen is still flawless after hundreds of hours of handheld use

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My amFilm got chips in it that resulted in cracks along the entire protector after I bumped it slightly against the metal edge of my laptop screen. Fragile things. Is it possible to replace those, anyway?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mega64 posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS PEGGLE
Found my old iPod nano recently for something and still had Peggle on it :v:

Pollyanna posted:

My amFilm got chips in it that resulted in cracks along the entire protector after I bumped it slightly against the metal edge of my laptop screen. Fragile things. Is it possible to replace those, anyway?
Just peel it off like any other screen protector? The adhesive layer is usually enough to keep it in one piece, but if little chips are falling off you can use tape on top to hold it together too.

Unless you meant like a warranty, the Amazon listing mentions lifetime warranty, so you should be able to get a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh cool, thought that they were permanent.