Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this game is just incredibly good aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

also i'm a gunlance main now
https://i.imgur.com/lBc3KRs.mp4

e: this snipe brought to you by BLAST DASH

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

So CB is a chainsaw now and GL is a rocket booster.

GOTY

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hihohe posted:

MFW im just learning the light bowgun because iv never used it and i accidentally pick the Ahkomoor whatever bird hub quest to fight so ive already been carted twice because i dont know how TF this weapon works

https://twitter.com/TokuOoc/status/1375205858267684865?s=19

This is me in multiplayer hunts since I leave my dog behind so my cat can collect poo poo.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

savage axe is the nectar to my soul

love this game

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've only unlocked the initial Horn switch skill so far, and while it wasn't what I thought it would be (echo spinning back as a normal attack), I like its recital song. It's a bigass golf swing, and is great for hitting high monster heads, especially if you're running up along the monster's right side. You'll swing around the body and just crack the head. Looking forward to seeing what other tweaks get unlocked.

The Lance Shield Charge isn't meshing well with my style. I use Dash as reflexively to close large distances, but Shield Charge has a rather short range and uses a buttload of stamina. Maybe the connecting web silk attack is more useful with Shield Charge, since you can use the silk to close distances, and use the Charge as more of a longer range Guard Dash. I dunno, I'd have to gently caress with it.

Lance and Horn both feel so good. I'll try other weapons eventually.

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 27, 2021

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

savage axe is the nectar to my soul

love this game

Oh, monster fell down for any reason? GG.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

holy poo poo

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Glad to get a proper rematch against the new flagship monster for a hub urgent. Soloing the multiplayer quests hasn't been too bad since I got Great Izuchi armour and better weapons. Now my village progress is lagging behind, though!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
nintendo's customer service is phenomenal, i got it fixed in eight minutes, including hold times, initial wait to talk to them, and transferring me to a higher team. that was extremely easy

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just did my first hub mission with Great Izuchi armor and Hammer (spin 2 win) and it honestly did not seem any worse than an average World hunt

Granted it was Azuros.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Man this has to be one of the nicest looking games in Switch

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never knew I needed the ability to turn the gunlance into an jet engine until now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I never thought that I might actually decide to not become a jet engine, but I actually like charged shelling now. I am disappointed in myself, but those level 2 charged wide shells are too good to resist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Man this has to be one of the nicest looking games in Switch

It's pretty remarkable given the crap resolution, yeah

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can you actually interact with Cahoot and give them new clothes? There's the one in the village entrance and the one up the tree in the buddy zone but neither do anything.

And yeah the game looks fantastic in handheld mode. The demo looked pretty bad because the shrine area is ugly grey sludge but the rest looks great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah despite the resolution being low it still looks really nice on a 4K tv. Runs very smooth too even with a full party

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

stev posted:

Can you actually interact with Cahoot and give them new clothes? There's the one in the village entrance and the one up the tree in the buddy zone but neither do anything.

You got to call your Cahoot to you using the action bar or the radial menu.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone who is running guns, what are some good guns you've found so far? I have been using the upgraded Tobi HBG and it fires piercing 3/slicing 1 pretty well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Aerox posted:

I didn't check the icon but I got a voice prompt where my guy yelled "IT'S WEAK! YOU CAN CAPTURE IT NOW!" so I thought that was the signal. Does he just randomly yell that sometimes for no reason?

Also wasn't dropping them, was using ZL to aim and throw. Does that not capture monsters?

Sometimes monsters heal up a bit when they run away, I think it's when they sleep but not entirely sure. It's not a lot but might be enough to get them back over the capture threshold. I usually attack them for a few seconds when I catch up just to make sure.

Also, this might not be your problem, but I didn't realize for a long time that just pressing the tranq bomb button without any direction on the stick will throw them right at your feet. Originally I was always frantic when I was ready to capture so I just was chucking them in every direction. The best way to aim them is just run right into its face, stand still and throw them right where you're standing.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I have trouble figuring out how to pet the dog. Help.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Iymarra posted:

Use the "Wait" command in the action bar and stand next to your dog.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Iymarra posted:

On the quick menu bar thing, there's an icon for "Wait". Use that and your buddies will stay in place and you can interact with them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know if you miss out on sidequests by skipping all the LR hub quests and just getting your village GED?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I did a random online hunt; four players, four dogs, all while wildly slashing swords/axes while someone on a Hunting Horn caused all kinds of particle effects to happen every few seconds, all while a sandstorm happens in the distance, in handheld mode, and it didn't go below 30 fps once.

I am legit curious what kind of deal with Satan Capcom must have agreed too pull this game off, god drat.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

All that performance and some great art style/design too. Game is just so pretty.

The Izuchi CB is a thing of beauty.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I am legit curious what kind of deal with Satan Capcom must have agreed too pull this game off, god drat.

They’re in good with him on account of the nice portrayal they’ve given in the ghosts and goblins series.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

This game is sold out places around town and I have to wait till 8pm to grab my copy. Just... just tell me about the rabbits again, George.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons.

Thinking about picking this up. I tried World briefly, but had some issues with it that caused me to bounce off. I have pretty bad eyesight and the fonts were freakishly tiny, for one. So it felt pretty inaccessible to me. I looked at some stuff on YouTube and the fonts do look bigger in general. But before I pull the trigger I had a few questions.

1. Is it possible to play multiplayer exclusively or will things in multi be gated behind single?
2. How does targeting work? Is there a hard lock? This is pretty important for me because of my bad vision. I can see the monsters fine, but if I lose track it could screw me pretty bad.
3. Alongside that, which weapons are less finicky about aim and positioning? I know that bladed stuff wants to go for tails, hammers want to go for head. Ironically enough I was thinking HBG might be okay because a lot of its effects are wide AOE type things, right? And it’s somewhat stationary? Outside of that, lance always looked appealing to me because of the defensive capability.
4. Apropos of the font stuff, the text size is okay, but I don’t suppose it can be further scaled up at all?

Thanks goons.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Fanning Maneuver on LBG is incredible. The ability to instantly move to the flank or back of a monster changes things a TON.

Not sure if it’s a QOL thing or not, but Demon/Recover/etc are AOE/pierce now. Just fire them in the direction of a teammate and they effect everyone in the path. I could swear they were single target things in MHW.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

DalaranJ posted:

They’re in good with him on account of the nice portrayal they’ve given in the ghosts and goblins series.

One of the things I noticed was that they still do a trick from the pre-world days - stuff happening far away has its FPS reduced.

Ed: I like the Shield Bash on Lance. As long as you keep up the tether, losing the charge is workable and you’ll reliably produce Mount damage. It’s good for stuff like breaking barroth crowns and knocking rocks out of kulu’s hands. Stunning something and being able to go absolutely ham is nice, too.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone mess around with HH Melody Mode: Echo? On paper it sounds like old horn, but after messing around with it that doesn't seem to be the case. All the buffs are still attached to a certain note instead of melody you have to put together, so instead of applying a buff one at a time by playing two notes, you can apply all of them without the windup of the trio assuming you have one of each on the staff board. I mean I guess it's sorta like old horn except it's still real simple.

Just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Despite telling myself during the demo that I was going to main HH, I’ve been sucked back into my old 4U/G mainstay, the hammer. It just feels so drat GOOD. One thing I feel like I’m
misunderstanding though is the yellow/blue stances. Why on earth would I ever use yellow outside of switching from blue to get a quick level 3 charge for a skillbind attack? It seems worse in every way.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

Wow the village music theme sucks.

cringe

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The vocal theme that plays in the village is amazing and I could listen to it all day. Sometimes it fades away to just some percussion which is all right, but I could listen to the main village theme forever.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone mess around with HH Melody Mode: Echo? On paper it sounds like old horn, but after messing around with it that doesn't seem to be the case. All the buffs are still attached to a certain note instead of melody you have to put together, so instead of applying a buff one at a time by playing two notes, you can apply all of them without the windup of the trio assuming you have one of each on the staff board. I mean I guess it's sorta like old horn except it's still real simple.

No, I think that's it. I guess it lets you go X A X+A R2 to apply all your songs, which I suppose it's faster than Trio. But it's not that much faster than Trio and loses on damage.

I guess depending on the sings you have available, spamming A R2 to continually repeat might be useful. The heal song or if we get a direct attack song.

Even that's just replacing A A with A R2, though. It does feel like I'm missing something.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shine posted:

I've only unlocked the initial Horn switch skill so far, and while it wasn't what I thought it would be (echo spinning back as a normal attack), I like its recital song. It's a bigass golf swing, and is great for hitting high monster heads, especially if you're running up along the monster's right side. You'll swing around the body and just crack the head. Looking forward to seeing what other tweaks get unlocked.

The Lance Shield Charge isn't meshing well with my style. I use Dash as reflexively to close large distances, but Shield Charge has a rather short range and uses a buttload of stamina. Maybe the connecting web silk attack is more useful with Shield Charge, since you can use the silk to close distances, and use the Charge as more of a longer range Guard Dash. I dunno, I'd have to gently caress with it.

Lance and Horn both feel so good. I'll try other weapons eventually.

Use the silk bind tether. It closes gaps faster than the old charge anyway.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

No, you've got it right. I was also hoping it'd be a little more like old Horn (varied recital attacks, echo spin as a normal attack again), but yeah it's more a tweak to song execution, as you noted.

That said, the Perform attack you receive in Melody Echo is the most satisfying move in new Horn's arsenal, IMO. Big, snappy golf swing with lots of "oomph" to it, and a nice angle for swinging under the wings from certain angles. I'm using Echo mode just for that dope attack.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

It turns the ZR perform (not trio) from a front sweep to like a home run swing that can hit above you. You still need 2x on your board to perform buff with echo mode, only trio gets you buffs for 1x.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

How do I get this. How do I get this. Please tell me, how do I get this,

Ciaphas posted:

extremely high resolutions are a scam designed to sell TVs to gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
e: double, oop