Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

In that case, Balan Wonderworld will actually go on to become one of gaming's biggest franchises.

Looking forward to Balan Wonderworld XIV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cardiovorax posted:

Blood Omen 2 is a strange mess of a game because the series doesn't even acknowledge it as properly ever having happened. Like, it got officially booted from the timeline of the games by being some sort of alternate timeline that got then un-happened as part of the official timeline of the series.

Legacy of Kain is a bit weird due to all the time-travel going on.

I thought it was the other way around - it never "happened" until Kain stopped Raziel being absorbed into the blade at the end of SR2, which meant that Raziel could resurrect Janos Audron in Defiance, which in turn meant that the Hylden could possess him and turn him into the Beast which was what allowed the events of Blood Omen 2 to happen.

That's why Kain looks so horrified at the paradox - he's suddenly remembered all of Blood Omen 2 at once.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, I think that was already part of the existing closed time loop. No part of the whole series really results in a meaningful and lasting paradox until the end of Defiance, as I understand it. The coin that finally landed on its edge, as the games put it. Sometimes it flips one way and Blood Omen 2 happens, sometimes it flips the other and it never did.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

No, I think that was already part of the existing closed time loop. No part of the whole series really results in a meaningful and lasting paradox until the end of Defiance, as I understand it. The coin that finally landed on its edge, as the games put it. Sometimes it flips one way and Blood Omen 2 happens, sometimes it flips the other and it never did.

It sucks that the franchise was euthanized because Square Enix wanted a "games as service" online multiplayer and just grabbed it off the shelf and dumped it out onto the market with little to no fanfare.

Soul Reaver 1 is still an amazing game even today. Way too ambitious for its time but it really made you feel like you were exploring the remnants of a world gone wrong. Soul Reaver 2 was kind of a step back and Defiance was more like mature action Zelda (which Darksiders would do 10x better a few years later) so they never really settled on a cohesive game design philosophy.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 27, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I still remember being absolutely blown away when I started exploring off the beaten track in SR1 and discovered the ruins of Nupraptor's Retreat

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lester Shy posted:

So are the people that get got by this scam clicking the links and putting in their Steam credentials, or is there some other exploit I need to worry about? It's by far the most successful phishing scam I've seen in my 10 years on Steam.
IMO it's more of a testament to goon loyalty than anything else, goons will do a lot of really dumb poo poo for other goons that they wouldn't for anybody else.

Also Melon Degenerate just messaged me as well :v:.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I thought it was the other way around - it never "happened" until Kain stopped Raziel being absorbed into the blade at the end of SR2, which meant that Raziel could resurrect Janos Audron in Defiance, which in turn meant that the Hylden could possess him and turn him into the Beast which was what allowed the events of Blood Omen 2 to happen.

That's why Kain looks so horrified at the paradox - he's suddenly remembered all of Blood Omen 2 at once.

This is correct, Blood Omen 2 happens in a timeline created by the third paradox at the end of Soul Reaver 2.

If i remember correctly at the end of the series there are 4 different timelines, the first one that includes most of Blood Omen but this timeline ends and a new one is created. The second timeline includes the ending of Blood Omen, Soul Reaver and the start of Soul Reaver 2. A paradox occurs and this timeline dies and a third one is created. The third timeline includes part of the Soul Reaver 2 ending but the a new paradox occurs so history reshuffles itself creating a new timeline. This fourth timeline includes the conclusion of Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2 and Defiance and is the "real" timeline.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
How is the Xbox app for PC still so goddamn bad? I tried to play MCC but even though it had downloaded every campaign and showed them as installed, the game claimed they weren't available. Then I tried to update it via the Microsoft store, got an error, and the game deleted itself. What? :psyduck:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hi, it's me, the one who keeps giving Yuji Naka money to make garbage. After Ivy the Kiwi, Rodea the Sky Solder, and even the Streetpass games, I seem however to have learned my lesson for I have not pre-ordered Balan Wonderland until the reviews were out.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

ErrEff posted:

In that case, Balan Wonderworld will actually go on to become one of gaming's biggest franchises.

Looking forward to Balan Wonderworld XIV!

So you're saying they'll spend a couple years reworking it and drop a patch that canonically destroys the old game to replace it with an actually good one?

I could get behind that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looking forward to the Balan Wonderworld 2.0 Roadmap.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yuji Naka hasn't made a good game in literally 20 years.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

more like Baland Wonderworld

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I don't know if this is proper place for asking for game recommendations, but here goes anyways:

Is there game that has similar (space) trade / manufacturing empire management as X4, without being so openly hostile to player about everything? I don't particularly care about space dog fighting and all that, but setting up manufacturing, transports and all that seems nice. Proper economy and other independent operators would be neat.

Kinda like Port Royale, but in space! (Space setting not critical, I guess?)

VVV: Seems neat, added to the Wishlist, thanks!

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you might like this when it comes out https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

beating a dead horse, but they're back to back now:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
drat. Goons are easy marks.

By the way, have you guys heard about mangosteens?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just came to post the same thing:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Yep, just got those two as well. Does anyone know their SA account?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

It's me. I was the one who got melon. :negative:

Came to post about the scam links. Luckily i don't have a card connected to my account but hopefully you guys did not encounter too much trouble.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm playing Empire of Sin on Gamepass and I'm having issues making money. I looked up how to do it and it says just take over as many rackets as you can, improve their ambiance and quality of booze and that should be it, but i've been doing that but i'm still loosing 300-500bux a tick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darkoni posted:

Came to post about the scam links. Luckily i don't have a card connected to my account but hopefully you guys did not encounter too much trouble.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but whyyyyyy did you click that link and then log in? I’m honestly curious how this keeps happening.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Darkoni posted:

I have to admit, the 'bruh' at the end slayed me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

It's a bit surprising that people still get tricked by the "vote for my team" thing after we've posted about it for so long. Lurk and post more!

However, the scam itself is quite tricky. The website pretends to do an OAuth login and gives you a fake pop-up window which looks like a pop-up from your browser but it actually isn't. That way they can have a real looking address bar that has the actual Steam URL on it instead of "staemcomunity" or whatever. The scammers are running a script that will immediately log in to Steam with the phished credentials and will give you a Steam Guard pop-up if they get one.

You can spot the trick by trying to move the Steam login pop-up outside your browser window which will not be possible.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but whyyyyyy did you click that link and then log in? I’m honestly curious how this keeps happening.

It was an IRL friend who would conceivably do a small csgo thing on some rando website. I didn't think about it at all because of who it came from. Between that and the site not looking immediately sketchy as poo poo caused me to autopilot logging into steam.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Missionary Positron posted:

How is the Xbox app for PC still so goddamn bad? I tried to play MCC but even though it had downloaded every campaign and showed them as installed, the game claimed they weren't available. Then I tried to update it via the Microsoft store, got an error, and the game deleted itself. What? :psyduck:

That people keep falling for GFWL rebrands is as funny to me as that people keep falling for the obvious phishing links. :haw:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for the thoughts on Hellpoint. I think I'll avoid it since most of the opinions were from "meh" to "bad".

I just wish I could play Obra Dinn again for the first time. I started it last weekend and finished it in a day. I couldn't stop playing it. I even dreamed about it (and solved some fates when I woke up).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Veib posted:

Would you say it was his

Phinal Phantasy

That's funny because he only did the dungeon programming on PStar1 (which is why it's so fast and fluid) and was mostly a project head on PSO (Satoshi Sakai was the main guy behind it as well as PSO2 and the Portable games, I forget who was in charge of Universe though).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Superanos posted:

It's a bit surprising that people still get tricked by the "vote for my team" thing after we've posted about it for so long. Lurk and post more!

However, the scam itself is quite tricky. The website pretends to do an OAuth login and gives you a fake pop-up window which looks like a pop-up from your browser but it actually isn't. That way they can have a real looking address bar that has the actual Steam URL on it instead of "staemcomunity" or whatever. The scammers are running a script that will immediately log in to Steam with the phished credentials and will give you a Steam Guard pop-up if they get one.

You can spot the trick by trying to move the Steam login pop-up outside your browser window which will not be possible.

You can spot the trick by noticing your browser didn't automatically fill in your saved Steam account name and password on the fake login page.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Hellpoint. I think I'll avoid it since most of the opinions were from "meh" to "bad".

I just wish I could play Obra Dinn again for the first time. I started it last weekend and finished it in a day. I couldn't stop playing it. I even dreamed about it (and solved some fates when I woke up).

If you want to look at another potentially “meh” techno-organic Dark Souls (but with guns) game there’s also Immortal Unchained.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Darkoni posted:

It was an IRL friend who would conceivably do a small csgo thing on some rando website. I didn't think about it at all because of who it came from. Between that and the site not looking immediately sketchy as poo poo caused me to autopilot logging into steam.

You should probably inform your friend they got bamboozled, too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

If you want to look at another potentially “meh” techno-organic Dark Souls (but with guns) game there’s also Immortal Unchained.

Hellpoint is a firmly Okay take on Souls-like that does almost nothing new. Immortal Unchained is just actively bad in basically every way and I cannot at all recommend it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vasler posted:

Same. Not entirely the same sort of experience, but close enough that it will be of interest, you should look into Ghost Trick, which you can play on your phone or computer through a DS emulator.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Same. Not entirely the same sort of experience, but close enough that it will be of interest, you should look into Ghost Trick, which you can play on your phone or computer through a DS emulator.

That's still easily in my top 5 favourite games of all time and given how often Capcom loves to port stuff I'm surprised we still haven't gotten a Steam or Switch release or SOMEthing, especially given they already pared the game down to one screen for iOS.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Vasler posted:

If you're looking for eurojank soulslikes, Remnant: From the Ashes is basically Gun Souls. It's jank as gently caress, it has some major balance issues and at least one core design decision that really obliterated my interest in doing a second playthrough, but I spent about 30 hours 100%ing it, and probably enjoyed 20-25 of those hours thoroughly.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

If you're looking for eurojank soulslikes, Remnant: From the Ashes is basically Gun Souls. It's jank as gently caress, it has some major balance issues and at least one core design decision that really obliterated my interest in doing a second playthrough, but I spent about 30 hours 100%ing it, and probably enjoyed 20-25 of those hours thoroughly.

Also, you might have gotten it for free if you kept up with EGS giveaways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HopperUK posted:

I really like Primal. They use a reconstructed form of Proto Indo-European for the language in the game, it's kinda fascinating how far they went with little details like that. And it's gorgeous, runs well. You can pat animals.

Every so often I'll recognize a word. Like dead sounding similar to the Polish martwy.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I've played and completed Ghost Trick (many years ago, found the cartridge the other day!) Remnant and Immortal.

Ghost Trick was, of course, amazing.

Remnant was a fun and competent game. I had a lot of fun doing multiplayer.

Immortal was fun too, but was really janky.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Antigravitas posted:

That people keep falling for GFWL rebrands is as funny to me as that people keep falling for the obvious phishing links. :haw:

I got a month of game pass ultimate for 1€ so eh, no big loss. I'm just baffled at how poo poo the whole thing is.

EDIT: R.I.P. spacebeez's account. Stop clicking shady links ya dopes.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Missionary Positron posted:

I got a month of game pass ultimate for 1€ so eh, no big loss. I'm just baffled at how poo poo the whole thing is.

EDIT: R.I.P. spacebeez's account. Stop clicking shady links ya dopes.

Yep same spam for me, I went here to post this. Reported the account compromised.