Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

indigi posted:

I don’t think it’s racist to write a racist character :shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

I don’t think it’s racist to write a racist character :shrug:

yeah

it's just kind of difficult the more sympathetic they are

the misogyny in sympathetic characters might have been bigger than the racism, and i'd lumped them together

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
wondering what this thread would have made of Zone, a book I read a couple months back whose protagonist was a volunteer in the Yugoslav conflict and participated in ethnic cleansing lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yes authors can write all the racists they want and i can look at that and think well i see enough racist and sexist and homophobic bullshit in the real world and i don’t want to read about even more of it if i don’t have to

this is not that different from using pretty terrible language in modern creations of period dramas because “that’s how they talked then”

just not into it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mediaphage posted:

yes authors can write all the racists they want and i can look at that and think well i see enough racist and sexist and homophobic bullshit in the real world and i don’t want to read about even more of it if i don’t have to

sure but you didn’t say this at first, you characterized it as racist

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mediaphage posted:

this is not that different from using pretty terrible language in modern creations of period dramas because “that’s how they talked then”

just not into it

how do you feel about huckleberry Finn

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lol you can just hear this gif

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
no you can’t, gifs don’t have sound...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

KAPOW!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

anyone here play telehack? figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask
was considering making a thread for it but i havent checked if one already exists, and also feel like i should gauge interest first

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

indigi posted:

Joke's on u I run linux so even if it wasn't :smuggo:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

sure but you didn’t say this at first, you characterized it as racist

yes because i think it’s probably racist o some level. the best light paints it as hopelessly ignorant.

The Fool posted:

how do you feel about huckleberry Finn

lmao is this supposed to be a gotcha? i’ve read just about all of twain’s work and at minimum i don’t think it should be taught outside of college or maybe a high school that isn’t too gormless wrt teaching about white privilege. teachers have done some terrible things with those books.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've never read mark twain because I don't give a poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mark twain more like mark lame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mediaphage posted:

yes because i think it’s probably racist o some level. the best light paints it as hopelessly ignorant.

again, writing a hopelessly ignorant/racist character doesn’t make the author or the work hopelessly ignorant or racist. you can just say you didn’t enjoy the book because of that rather than make a value judgement on the author

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mark Technology Without An Interesting Name

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah we had someone post a while back that Wm. Gibbo was obviously a racist because a racist character he wrote said a racist word. It took a bit of back and forth in the thread before folks figured 'wait is this what you're saying because no.'

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's american literature, so that poo poo is mostly about racism and eating cowboy beans in the desert or whatever

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

man that loving takes me back

I worked in an electronics shop in 2001 and some guys came in to buy a compaq ipaq which was the hot poo poo windows ce Intel strongarm palmtop back then, and them making some reference to idk maybe scsi being a good acronym and I said "TWAIN is my favourite" and them actually saying "holy poo poo, someone in this place that actually knows something about computers"

my die was cast at a young age I guess

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

again, writing a hopelessly ignorant/racist character doesn’t make the author or the work hopelessly ignorant or racist. you can just say you didn’t enjoy the book because of that rather than make a value judgement on the author

i didn’t say that the author is racist. not intentionally anyway. but i think refusing to even entertain the idea because you think that it’s just a character so it’s fine is too dismissive. and there are poc who have read it and found it problematic too, so i think it’s worth bringing up. clearly you liked the book and this bugs you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

man that loving takes me back

I worked in an electronics shop in 2001 and some guys came in to buy a compaq ipaq which was the hot poo poo windows ce Intel strongarm palmtop back then, and them making some reference to idk maybe scsi being a good acronym and I said "TWAIN is my favourite" and them actually saying "holy poo poo, someone in this place that actually knows something about computers"

my die was cast at a young age I guess

oh man the ipaqs i haven’t thought about those in a million years

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNc8WBcYwbA

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mediaphage posted:

oh man the ipaqs i haven’t thought about those in a million years

they were actually OK from what I remember. Windows ce was really bad but you could get a GPS addon for them which was pretty amazing at the time. just never rely on the battery to last more than like 20 minutes. also they were mega expensive.

I got quite a decent amount of commission from selling those things.

the psion revo was better though. That was a sick piece of hardware.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gently caress it i might make a telehack thread anyway

would it even be yospos-worthy since although it is a game its a very computer-touching centered game kinda

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

they were actually OK from what I remember. Windows ce was really bad but you could get a GPS addon for them which was pretty amazing at the time. just never rely on the battery to last more than like 20 minutes. also they were mega expensive.

I got quite a decent amount of commission from selling those things.

the psion revo was better though. That was a sick piece of hardware.

i had one of the dell axims and thoroughly enjoyed it for the time tbqh. i took it to my lovely retail job and watched videos on break

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

hbag posted:

gently caress it i might make a telehack thread anyway

would it even be yospos-worthy since although it is a game its a very computer-touching centered game kinda

idk if video games are allowed in yospos, I think there used to be a thread and it got banned

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

indigi posted:

idk if video games are allowed in yospos, I think there used to be a thread and it got banned

i mean...

does this really count?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
wtf even is that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924386

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

indigi posted:

wtf even is that

i already said, telehack

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah we had someone post a while back that Wm. Gibbo was obviously a racist because a racist character he wrote said a racist word. It took a bit of back and forth in the thread before folks figured 'wait is this what you're saying because no.'

lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

great, another lame Scanners sequel

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:rolleyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

great, another lame Scanners sequel

boooooo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that wasn't quite the argument. the argument was that very specific slurs just kept happening. i wasn't saying any time someone writes a slur in the book the author is racist, but if they keep doing the same thing over and over it's a bit telling - kind of like how joss whedon showing women getting brutalized _all the time_ is kind of, uh, questionable

the big dumb part was that gibson didn't actually keep doing it over and over, so obviously there's no problem

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i didn’t say that the author is racist. not intentionally anyway. but i think refusing to even entertain the idea because you think that it’s just a character so it’s fine is too dismissive. and there are poc who have read it and found it problematic too, so i think it’s worth bringing up. clearly you liked the book and this bugs you.

i think i found the post you were referring to (lol that there's a kim stanley robinson webforum)

"this guy from the author's forum posted:

YOUR BOY IS A RACIST
Alakazar - Tue, 06/04/2019 - 03:18

Hey everyone!

Just finished the Mars trilogy. Can your boy stop punctuating every chapter with a stereotype about Arabs?

As an arab myself, I'm tired of every white person (wherever they stands on the political spectrum) giving their unsollicited two cents about my people.

I'm equally irritated at both positive stereotypes (ahah the arabs seem like savages but once you get to know them you might be surprised) to negative ones (ahah the women staying in the kitchen ohlala...). It doesn't produce any kind of relfexion or observation. It's just sport for white people. I say that because for every arab or POC of color who intervenes on a forum to say what I just said there is a torrent of negative reactions from white ppl getting irritated at any mention of racism. So at the end of the day, by doing this, your boy just created a bone for racist dogs to chew at at the expense of arabs.

This, in itself, is a form of cultural imperialism. Please tell you boy to shut the F up. Thanks

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i guess an addendum to my previous post on this topic would be that a i feel like the parts of the books that lean heavily on the details of actual earth cultures can be p cringe. some of the characterization of the russians is a little similar imo, in a very "wow look at how different these people are from you, dear 90s sci fi reader" kind of way.

i don't think robinson is a racist though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
can’t we all just agree that the dota anime is loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

can’t we all just agree that the dota anime is loving terrible