Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Logan 5 posted:

The Greatlance is a Pike :colbert:
yeah, and dark souls classifies the black knight glaive, immolation tinder and crucifix of the mad king as "halberds"

anyways spears/pikes/halberds/glaives/etc are all polearms. bow down to the supreme martial art of 'hurty thing on a long stick'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Coop question. I've tried searching the thread, but I didn't find anything conclusive - no, wait, it's simply hard searching in threads :v:

I can't see my friend's summon sign. Other than following the standard instructions (make sure you're embered, make sure you're in a coop valid zone, enter the same password, makes sure you don't have NAT issues), given I can be invaded if I use the dried fingers, what else could be left? Could I have been softbanned without even knowing it?

Char fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 24, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finally managed to solo Darkeater Midir last night for the first time ever. I don't think I ever even found him before, let alone fought him. It took around about 10 attempts over the course of two evenings. I just barely clutched it out with zero estus left by the end and he still had a sizable chunk of health but he did his wild flailing laser attack which I somehow managed to avoid and during his little rest afterwards I caused him to stagger and got a critical attack on his head which took out his entire remaining health bar. I had already basically written the attempt off as a failure since I ran out of estus and had very little health left, so I was pretty flabbergasted when I suddenly won.

I only have vague memories of doing the DLCs from when they first came out, and I remember struggling with Gael so I was mentally preparing for another night of attempts, but after Midir, Gael took about 3 minutes to kill on my first attempt. It felt like my muscle memory from fighting Artorias was kicking in and somehow carried me through. I capped off the evening with Soul of Cinder (a complete pushover by comparison), thus completing my first Dark Souls 3 run beating every boss solo. I can't decide if I want to do an NG+ run now or move on to something else, possibly another Sekiro run since I haven't played it since it came out. Some part of me wants to platinum the game, but another part doesn't want to deal with all the finnicky NPC quest poo poo you have to do. Is there an NG+ checklist somewhere that tells me an exact order?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah, and dark souls classifies the black knight glaive, immolation tinder and crucifix of the mad king as "halberds"

anyways spears/pikes/halberds/glaives/etc are all polearms. bow down to the supreme martial art of 'hurty thing on a long stick'

The crucifix of the mad king is amazing because it’s literally some loving dude on a stick. He’s not even dead

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah I know I'm just messing. I had an entirely silly and pointless discussion with someone recently that the Glaive is really more of a Bardiche.

I've never gotten the hang of the Greatlance in pvp, but seen it used well. The Lothric Knight Long Spear is another one you rarely see that is actually pretty good, I have a build dedicated to it.

I think another reason you don't see polearms often though is that they aren't as ideal when fighting multiple people, compared to like a Greatsword or SS setup. Especially if like me you frequently play unlocked.

One of the great things about this though is that people will be more unfamiliar with the movesets. Even mediocre as I am at pvp I can sometimes beat objectively better players because I'm using stuff they rarely fight, and play super unpredictability.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
greatlance is fun offhand because it combos into almost anything, but if you're doing offhand gimmicks it's hard to get away from how good offhand estoc is

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Does anyone else love the storyteller staff as much as I do? It's the staff the Corvian Seer uses.

You can use it to posion the Crystal Sage to death without him ever moving. It does thousands of damage to most bosses, and I just used it to kill the jailer patrols while hiding. I didn't want to get close to the demon in the catacombs so I just gave them the spores.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You really just gonna leave us hanging on the storm ruler mystery?

I will go ahead and admit that I am, in fact, in all likelihood a big fat dummy. I tried it the next day and it worked fine. I may have been holding a falchion and whether that was my fault or a glitch... more likely my fault somehow.

I might pick it up again tomorrow, who knows, but the wind left my sails when the sky went dark. I love that this game is easy to pick up and really challenging. The needlessly user-hostile bits just piled up too high. With the NPCs, poo poo. I hit a baddie, who turns out to be a goodie, who can tell in the dark, spent 70000 souls or whatever to get him to forgive me in (forgiveness is found in some out-of-the-way sewers of course) then he asks me where his friend went and he fuckin' dies because I told him? End of whatever story he was gonna tell. Greirat eventually did come back, cool, can't tell you how many times I had to look his whole thing up. Yoel died early, and I figured out to find another teacher after I'd already done most of the game. I'm playing a sorcerer, mind.

So much opaque poo poo. Get an item, description doesn't tell me anything. Look it up, that don't help, cause the explanations don't do much better. The online guides are not great and fextralife sucks especially btw.

I'd go on but I'm sure others have already written my complaints out for me. The online crew, when I started doing a little PVP in the churches, I've got to say that the people were really cool. I read the DS3 subreddit for a minute, and it's clear they're all in on some knowledge that I wasn't able to dig up.

Honestly: I'd probably put it right up there in top games I've played (released since 2000,) for real, right behing Divinity OS2, Stardew Valley, and Spelunky1&2. It's a really well-made game. But the frustrations are too many for me right now. And the bleak packaging don't help it go down.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Char posted:

Coop question. I've tried searching the thread, but I didn't find anything conclusive - no, wait, it's simply hard searching in threads :v:

I can't see my friend's summon sign. Other than following the standard instructions (make sure you're embered, make sure you're in a coop valid zone, enter the same password, makes sure you don't have NAT issues), given I can be invaded if I use the dried fingers, what else could be left? Could I have been softbanned without even knowing it?

Open up the options menu and head to the network tab. From there, a setting under "Password Matching" should read "Summon Sign Visibility." This should be set to "Unrestricted" so summoning signs are present. Both players must have this set to unrestricted for summoning to work.

If you or your buddy is softbanned you'll see a message like this when you start up the game:

Make sure that in addition to being embered and being in a valid co-op zone that the zone boss isn't dead for the host. When signs weren't showing up it also helped to zone in and out after the client places their sign down. If that doesn't work, try restarting the game to see if the sign appears.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mescal posted:

With the NPCs, poo poo. I hit a baddie, who turns out to be a goodie, who can tell in the dark, spent 70000 souls or whatever to get him to forgive me in (forgiveness is found in some out-of-the-way sewers of course) then he asks me where his friend went and he fuckin' dies because I told him? End of whatever story he was gonna tell.
I assume you're talking about Anri, in which case you shouldn't feel bad about them dying, because there is no good ending for Anri-just different ways that they die or go hollow.

Also wikidot is much, much better than fextralife and way less likely to have inaccurate info. It also shows up a lot lower down on google results because fextralife aggressively SEOs and markets itself(in addition to embedding the wiki owner's twitch stream on the website, which means that when they stream they get super inflated viewercounts from every person who happens to have the wiki open and isn't actually watching their stream).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok hi I took a 3 week break from Dark Souls 3 and would like a tip.

I’m at the steps on Anor Londo.

I finished Profane Cap and Siegward and I pwnt Yhorm, there doesn’t seem to be anything else for me to do except kill the boss in Anor Londo. I already killed it once by helping the lady Knight kill him in her world. Is there anything else I should try and do or just try to take out this dude? I feel like I do a ton of damage with my faith build and weapons but his attacks all 1-2 shot me.

The guide im using says not to buy dark miracles from the lady but I want to buy the silence miracle. She hasn’t turned into a fire keeper yet, so I have to assume she does that at some point after this boss.

Should I just farm up a bit and push through? I only have like 5 embers left for co-op and pickings are slim, and twice I’ve been invaded and killed waiting for a friend
:(

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bust Rodd posted:

I finished Profane Cap and Siegward and I pwnt Yhorm, there doesn’t seem to be anything else for me to do except kill the boss in Anor Londo. I already killed it once by helping the lady Knight kill him in her world. Is there anything else I should try and do or just try to take out this dude? I feel like I do a ton of damage with my faith build and weapons but his attacks all 1-2 shot me.

The guide im using says not to buy dark miracles from the lady but I want to buy the silence miracle. She hasn’t turned into a fire keeper yet, so I have to assume she does that at some point after this boss.

Should I just farm up a bit and push through? I only have like 5 embers left for co-op and pickings are slim, and twice I’ve been invaded and killed waiting for a friend

You can turn in the dark miracle books to the dark witch instead and buy the dark magic from her.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Aldrich is kind of a glass cannon. The most dangerous thing to do with him is stand off so that he constantly uses his magic instead of his much shittier melee attacks. Up close he’s much less dangerous. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the arrow rain, which you should just sprint away from until it ends. Then get back in there and spam lightning stake on him.

If you want to buy Vow of Silence (it is fairly funny to use this on Aldrich) then give the miracle tomes to Karla the witch. She’ll complain about it but there’s no consequence.

If you really don’t want to do Aldrich rn you can probably start on the DLCs instead.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 25, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like I do a ton of damage with my faith build and weapons but his attacks all 1-2 shot me.
Not that you should farm, but as you progress probably consider leveling more vigor if you're getting 1/2 shot by aldrich

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IronicDongz posted:

Not that you should farm, but as you progress probably consider leveling more vigor if you're getting 1/2 shot by aldrich

Yeah that’s a good point. HP gouging builds don’t really prosper in DS3

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

Open up the options menu and head to the network tab. From there, a setting under "Password Matching" should read "Summon Sign Visibility." This should be set to "Unrestricted" so summoning signs are present. Both players must have this set to unrestricted for summoning to work.

If you or your buddy is softbanned you'll see a message like this when you start up the game:

Make sure that in addition to being embered and being in a valid co-op zone that the zone boss isn't dead for the host. When signs weren't showing up it also helped to zone in and out after the client places their sign down. If that doesn't work, try restarting the game to see if the sign appears.

Thanks! No, I don't have that message. We tried summoning each other at the Cleansing Bonfire (Cathedral of the Deep), and with two fresh characters at the High Wall of Lothric, no dice in either case.
We tried with another buddy of ours - Buddy2 could summon Buddy1, but I couldn't summon either of them. :iiam:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If Anor Londo was a Diablo level (from DS1 but I'm sharing in the more active DS thread as well):
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1375106521646915593?s=20

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey nice, I found some brigand armor. This should do for now until I find fashion that more befits a punchsmith of Jacob's caliber (hopefully)

It's crazy how much more active this game is than 2. I was helping people beat the greatwood and consistently getting summoned within 30 seconds of putting my sign down. And everyone seemed to really appreciate the help with how much they emoted afterward!

Game good

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DS3 is highly, highly active, well after its release. I hope it stays that way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just put my sign down for Vordt, then someone summoned me, pointed up the stairs, and ran up them. And that's how I got a future boss fight spoiled lol

not a big deal I just had no idea

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Been trying out Cinders mod and it's a lot of fun. Def steps up the difficulty a bunch but goin around with a tonitrus and shotgun is great.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I just put my sign down for Vordt, then someone summoned me, pointed up the stairs, and ran up them. And that's how I got a future boss fight spoiled lol

oh lol I see what happened. Tbf that person probably assumed that's what you intended to do at this stage

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How did I ever miss that Gael develops a gaping chest wound in the shape of the darksign once he powers up? Seriously wtf I never noticed that at all on my DLC playthrough

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Speaking of I got him to his last phase with the thunder all over the arena.

That's the thing with from soft, they do one cool thing and they decide they really really love it so they have to do it like 5 million times. Pretty sure I saw the same lightning appear in the orphan of kos and sekiro final boss fights lmao

Anyways I'm pretty excited because when you can get a boss down to the last face it's pretty much a done deal. After that I'll just have the dragon but honestly i skip every dragon fight in these games and may continue that tradition.

The big thing for me was finally learning nameless king, sister freide, and gael (which is still a work in progress). The reason I skipped these during my first few playthroughs it's because they're basically different boss fights with separate health bars smashed into one. Nameless king wasn't too bad but the drake was annoying at first, and freide is 100 percent three fully separate boss fights you have to learn back to back.

It's fun and rewarding to get good at these extended boss fights, but it's also exhausting and I have to be in the right mood

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

How did I ever miss that Gael develops a gaping chest wound in the shape of the darksign once he powers up? Seriously wtf I never noticed that at all on my DLC playthrough

That's why he wants to eat you!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Hah, what SL were you? DS3 is pretty linear comparatively, but that boss is actually one of the few sequence breaks you can do, you can fight them as soon as you get to that room.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Logan 5 posted:

Hah, what SL were you? DS3 is pretty linear comparatively, but that boss is actually one of the few sequence breaks you can do, you can fight them as soon as you get to that room.

I'm in my late 20s or so I think, somewhere between 25-30. I haven't been paying close attention haha

That reminds me, what's matchmaking like in 3? I think DS1 was entirely soul level, DS2 had that soul memory garbage, then DS remastered included your max weapon upgrade tier. Is 3 back to just soul level?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm in my late 20s or so I think, somewhere between 25-30. I haven't been paying close attention haha

That reminds me, what's matchmaking like in 3? I think DS1 was entirely soul level, DS2 had that soul memory garbage, then DS remastered included your max weapon upgrade tier. Is 3 back to just soul level?

It also include max weapon upgrade, but doesn't account for twink items like +2 rings

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How does Firelink connect with High Wall of Lothric? all the other levels (so far) link together naturally but the initial teleport is really jarring.

I think I'm going to start a new guy. I got my first pyromancer guy to road of crucifixion but I missed the mound makers covenant and it sounds like a hoot. also the typical new character build mistakes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Reality Protester posted:

How does Firelink connect with High Wall of Lothric? all the other levels (so far) link together naturally but the initial teleport is really jarring.

I think I'm going to start a new guy. I got my first pyromancer guy to road of crucifixion but I missed the mound makers covenant and it sounds like a hoot. also the typical new character build mistakes.
Theoretically it's behind Lothric, so the side of it you see from outside Firelink is the opposite side from the part you see and interact with in the rest of the game (hence why you can't see Firelink from anywhere). But the fact that you can visit the Firelink Shrine in its dark and abandoned state via a contiguous path from within Lothric leads me to believe that teleporting to and from the actual haven of Firelink may not be a simple matter of relocating yourself spatially.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think there’s a vid that shows firelink from High Wall of Lothric (or the other way around). It’s in a spot that you can’t see without free cam or standing in a really particular way.

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqRhEvTdQgg

It talks about the placement of Firelink at 35 minutes in.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

FWIW, I had completely ignored upgrading my vigor (HP) for the entire game, until this boss. At which point I was forced me to re-think that strategy and do the "respec" thing at the cathedral.

It helps a LOT to get 2-3 shot instead of 1-shot.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yoel gave me a few free levels and died, and now Jacob's more handsome than ever

e: Oh and some lady took his place, thanked me for killing Yoel, and seems real eager to help me now that I'm a Hollow. I'm so intrigued by the hollowing mechanic, because it was the default thing to happen when you died in 1 and 2, but in 3 it seems I'm a special undead that doesn't go hollow when I die normally, so Yoel had to do something to me to hollow me? So now I can go hollow and whatever the other state is called.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be looking up a lot of lore after I beat this game

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 27, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Check your key items

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Reminding me of my old character Mr. Skeltal

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

thanked me for killing Yoel
You didn't kill him, just helped him find his true purpose.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

That lady sells the dark hand btw.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

She also sells a dark tome for Karla. Always befriend Yoel and get those free levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Oh yeah, they were probably making a twink and wanted a meat puppet to draw aggro. Either that or just the hilarity of summoning low level people that don't know about that boss.

The matchmaking calculator is based on both SL and your weapon level, with different ranges based on what you are doing (co-op vs invading) and some differences based on which covenant you are in. There is are formulas for it, for example it is SL+10+(your SL*0.10) for the upper range of summoning a co-op phantom, and SL-10-(yourSL*0.10) for the lower range. For invading the calculation stretches much higher than lower, of course.

Your character's weapon level is the highest upgraded item they've ever held - doesn't matter if it is a shield, bow, casting tool, weapon. If you brought it to say +5, that is it. You don't have to be actively holding it, you can put it in your box or discard it even. For matchmaking purposes your are considered a +5 permanently now, until you make a +6.

Items upgraded with twinkling or scales only go up to +5, which means each of those will count as double for the matchmaking - so +2=+4, +3=+6, etc.

Here's an online tool you can use for the matchmaking, if you are curious - https://mpql.net/tools/dark-souls-3/

If you have any intention of PVP it can be helpful to know for not overshooting your SL/weapon level for the area, or area covenant if applicable, you want to PVP at. For example, if you want to be a Watchdog I wouldn't recommend going above SL30 +3.