Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Murgos posted:

A friend of mine was dating a woman who when she found out I work as an engineer in the aerospace realm insisted on showing me her drawings of revolutionary new helicopter designs. Apparently, this was a thing she liked to do in her free time.

In the milhist thread, the Soviets in World War 2 actually took submissions from citizens on how to improve war machines like tanks. Some of these were very useful and were implimented. Others....they actually had engineers looking at these things. If the idea was crazy, it would receive a polite letter saying no, though they also had internal critiques of why the idea of a tank with a vat of boiling metal for dumping into enemy pillboxes was sub-optimal

Also once I finish that youtube aerodynamic lecture series expect drawings from me. First, the pretty good strategic bomber. Second, got some ideas for flying aircraft carriers...

slidebite posted:

People like to think they are somehow, deep down special, but virtually everyone on this planet (including yours truly) is a actually loving moron in 99.999% of anything specialized if they don't have training, especially on any somewhat technical subject.

The first step is being humble and then maybe learn enough to grasp how much you don't know.

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is yet another "napkin drawing" design by "aviation experts," but I find it amusing that their "replacement for the F-16" would be an F-16XL with twin tails and a single F119, like those grow on loving trees: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a35865601/f-36-kingsnake-air-force-next-fighter-jet-concept/

Direct link to the "experts" website: https://hushkit.net/2021/03/17/the-f-36-kingsnake-the-fifth-generation-minus-fighter-usaf-wants/

Straight up :jerkbag:.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 24, 2021

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

otoh one really good idea came from my uncle when he was falling-down drunk. he said "you know those pocket pussy things [fleshlights, i assume]? okay so what you do is make a gun stock for those assault rifles that has a pocket pussy in it so that guys who love their guns can gently caress their gun while they shoot it. you know--" [makes pelvic thrusting motions and PKOW, PKOW, PKOW sounds]

Real avatar/post synergy here

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

A 1-year PD phase seems almost impossible if there were to be competition between L-M and Boeing. Single-sourcing without a contest would be necessary.

That noise you just heard was a LockMart executive board drilling holes through the bottom of their boardroom conference table with their rock-hard erections.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

quote:

A 1-year PD phase seems almost impossible if there were to be competition between L-M and Boeing. Single-sourcing without a contest would be necessary.

Ok. That reads "let's just admit that the procurement system is 100% messed up, but let's not reform it and shovel cash at the last people who bought us hookers."

edit: wrong quote.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 25, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is yet another "napkin drawing" design by "aviation experts," but I find it amusing that their "replacement for the F-16" would be an F-16XL with twin tails and a single F119, like those grow on loving trees: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a35865601/f-36-kingsnake-air-force-next-fighter-jet-concept/

Direct link to the "experts" website: https://hushkit.net/2021/03/17/the-f-36-kingsnake-the-fifth-generation-minus-fighter-usaf-wants/

Straight up :jerkbag:.

I can finally reveal that I am here from the future, and brought photos of this plane's 2055 first flight

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

shame on an IGA posted:

I can finally reveal that I am here from the future, and brought photos of this plane's 2055 first flight

Has Christendom lost hegemony and there are engine makers that make enough thrust?

Are there drone airliners?

How many engine are on the B-52 and does the 737 still have the same overhead panel?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vessbot posted:

Has Christendom lost hegemony and there are engine makers that make enough thrust?

Are there drone airliners?

How many engine are on the B-52 and does the 737 still have the same overhead panel?

Yes, Yes, 6, yes. Well, the "drone airliners" still require two humans in the cockpit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also can't look at this F-16XL knockoff and not see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F7U_Cutlass

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also can't look at this F-16XL knockoff and not see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F7U_Cutlass

Not too late to put up a web page, and get Popular Mechanics to signal boost your F7U NG proposal.

According to experts, the Gutless Cutlass could be made a pretty good flying machine if they cut the nose gear in half, doubled the thrust, gave it a conventional tail and control scheme, and got somebody else to fly it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

You just don't get it, man. I saw a video of this guy who spend all day sweeping up dust from the highway and he got a nickel's worth of platinum out of it.

Or you could just cut out the middleman and take the catalytic converter!!! It's that easy, everybody is doing it

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yes, Yes, 6, yes. Well, the "drone airliners" still require two humans in the cockpit.

The B-52 has eight engines. The B-47 had six.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Slo-Tek posted:

Not too late to put up a web page, and get Popular Mechanics to signal boost your F7U NG proposal.

According to experts, the Gutless Cutlass could be made a pretty good flying machine if they cut the nose gear in half, doubled the thrust, gave it a conventional tail and control scheme, and got somebody else to fly it.

I agree with the experts, someone else should have to fly that deathtrap.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The B-52 has eight engines. The B-47 had six.

It does now, did you miss the part where they're from the future???

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

hobbesmaster posted:

They also claim thats safer for ditching! Remind me, what happens when helicopters ditch?

I also need a reminder, if you hold the lifejacket above your head, do you breathe better when marooned at sea?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Looks more like fixedsys to me

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/pilot-hot-mic-bay-area-airport-16049942.php

quote:

In the March 13 recording, the pilot says, “F—k this place, goddamn liberal f—ks.” He then continues, making several other curse-word-laden comments before being interrupted by what seems to be an air traffic controller.

quote:

“F—king weirdos, probably driving around in f—king Hyundais, f—king roads and s—t that go slow as f—k,” and, “You don’t have balls unless you’re f—king rolling coal, man, goddamn it.”
Sounds like boomer pilot brain strikes again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Looks more like fixedsys to me

Hitachi 5x8

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Southwest is making great improvements on their hot mic ranting.

Unlike their 2011 rant, this one didn't involve complaints about homosexuals, overweight people, or elderly people, so that's a hell of a lot of progress in a decade.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I keep telling everyone the only thing that surprises me about this is that it doesn't happen more often, and that this one is actually pretty tame compared to the amount of boomer takes I get on any given flight.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Looks like the wings for the Smithsonian's He 219 are almost done.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

I keep telling everyone the only thing that surprises me about this is that it doesn't happen more often, and that this one is actually pretty tame compared to the amount of boomer takes I get on any given flight.

I really don't regret jumping off the airline track 14 years ago. Flying corporate I only have to deal with assholes once rather than having to have the confrontation with scores or hundreds of chuddy, oblivious jerks. I'd be a junior Captain at SWA now and I don't think I could have handled the preceding years' bullshit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Same, I’ve been enjoying ACMI life flying barely a dozen legs a month, if that. Yeah the pay is poo poo, but money aside drat if the overall QoL isn’t great.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The B-52 has eight engines.

7-8.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

≤8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slightly less than 8, on average

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

slightly less than 8, on average

I mean 7.999 engines equals 8 engines, really

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you factor in their use as carriers for experimental aircraft, some B-52's fly with more than 8 engines. :thunk:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Those are load bearing engines.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those are load bearing engines.
Load bearing firewalls...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well now, never seen THIS angle before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pP5Ga-v4s

Wingnut, this might interest you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Best seat in the plane right there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That patch is loving superb.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Obligatory

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Love the hell out of that patch.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

What the gently caress does Lockheed Martin have to do with the E-2D?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

“Electronic support measures”? https://news.lockheedmartin.com/lockheed-martin-receives-second-e2d-multi-year-contract-provide-electronic-warfare-systems-us-navy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I guess they make the radar: https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/an-apy-9-radar.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Boomers are made by GD, missiles by Lockmart, guidance computers by Boeing, I'm sure Northrop has some equipment on their somewhere too.

Defence contractors are pretty incestuous.