Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

re: youtube, I started filming some stuff, but I'm not thinking about it and it comes off as rambling -

A guy that comes to our crusie night has made some pretty cool vids, I think I need to contact him

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaYDztQ_CYdC4MEE98D6NSw

Same. Let's make a deal. I'll put up my crappy content if you put up yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That piggy bank is perfect. She's a gem.

the wife's a keeper too

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Film as much as you can, but I know editing can become a full time job. I just throw up content with no editing. But this rare car calls for a series and effort. I’ll be the first to subscribe

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

the spyder posted:

Same. Let's make a deal. I'll put up my crappy content if you put up yours.

oooh - drat... tempting - I may try to put something together. I think I'm going to maybe try to make an intro first - I got in to editing for our car meet, but I'm no expert - My wife and I are having a rather difficult week with the baby and as much time as I spend on the car I feel her rage growing understandably. I'm planning on getting something a bit more concrete soon. I have a pretty slick camera I bought awhile back its a DJI Osmo Pocket - so far I've just shot some pans and sweeps of the car, but I can't even begin to think about the voice part

I'm massively influenced in style by The Crafsman - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzsjHlc0WRwZYwlinsmtM4w - I'd really love to create something like his but for cars, and in my own way - but his production value and story telling is what I'm aiming for.

- car stuff -

So My old craftsman shop vac gave up a few days ago and I finally made it over to the hardware store to grab a new one to continue cleaning -

I got that done and physically climbed inside the car for the first time which was rather unpleasant - first off, I'm not so dainty and the seat was obviously frozen in place that made it nearly impossible to wedge in there. I was starting to get a bit nervous about that the seat may be all the way back and I was just too big for the car - there was also a 1960s seat cover that really started to look like it was covering the original interior, which it was.

As I removed the bottom cushion I found full dimension 2x4's boosting the seat bottom up, when I removed those, and continued vacuuming I realized that the seat was pretty far up, I kept at things with the WD40 and sure enough I got the seat to start moving again. I kept removing more and more of the old seat cover and sure enough, everything about the seat is complete - and while its really in bad shape, its not as bad as I thought it would be, enough to really figure it all out when redoing the interior - also the springs are still very much in tact - still individually wrapped in burlap.

I absoultely loathe modern interiors - I've yet to find a guy who can make it look right and be comfy - there are plenty of guys that can do it, but they use really high density foam because thats what they think the owner will like - the most comfy old cars I've ever had have all had original sprung interiors.

my 48 does not and its not too comfy, and its over stuffed to the moon

also, my nerves were calmed when I removed the vinyl and found this:

here you can see the original pattern of the cloth interior, and with the way the mohair headliner faded - it actually looks kinda cool.

you can see the seat cover is very cheesy - I am planning on removing the back cushions but I've forgotten how to get them off. to remove the seat cover - shockingly theres virtually no rodent damage in this car which is something I've never experienced in old cars

I found this in the glove box

its the original tag that hung on the back side of the clock - they sell reproductions of these, but its amazing to find a real one

the steering wheel plastic is toasted but the metal parts are in flawless shape, the gauges too are really really nice - the car shows 82k on the odometer and I think it hasn't turned. The wheels of these cars are made of bakelite and they give off a very distinctive smell that you find in nearly every 40s GM car. when they start flaking apart like this there is no hope but to have them completely redone. also shockingly this car has the deluxe wheel - the standard wheel actually looked like this:

this is known as the "poverty wheel" - as you can see its completely different and way less ornate, the deluxe wheel that my car has would have been standard on the higher priced cars

Also shocking is that this car has a radio - being the cheapest car buick offered in 42, someone spec'd this car out to the 9's once again reenforcing the fact that this is really quite possibly one of a kind.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well thats interesting - I think thats a 47 special - whats that from?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

well thats interesting - I think thats a 47 special - whats that from?

The cover of the album "Frances the Mute" from the band The Mars Volta.

https://www.rockarchive.com/prints/m/mars-volta-mvol002st Small writeup from the photog who composed it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Quick update - Been a rather hard week for pretty much anything.. but I have this for you:

There's a lot more paint on this car than I thought there was...

before:

after:

that was wd40 on 300 grit paper, wiped up with a micro fiber, then hand polished with a super fine cut. - I wonder if some wax would make it pop more?

yes I have a pair of crocs, no I don't wear them outside the house

got the 48 out to a cruise night last night:

hit up a few sales today

Super cool late 1800s pipe organ for 100 bucks - didn't buy this, no room

these made it home:

so did this creepy rear end dude:

I bought this for the next time my buddy Steve1989 comes out here:

I found this guy chillin in the back of my fridge and imbibed it way too quickly :

and now I'm just hanging

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Steve1989 seems like a nice dude. My wife was hooked on his videos a while back. We even bought a Vietnam era accessory pack from the US.

Also, what kind of mileage can you expect on something like the 48 pictured in your post? Is there a long game plan when it comes to fuel for these older cars (with potential future bans on gasoline etc). Is it possible to do E85 conversions?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's already e85 carbs on the market, though iirc they're mostly aimed at drag racing since e85 makes good race fuel. but theoretically anything that runs on gas should be able to run on ethanol. ethanol requires higher volume fuel delivery and a richer mixture, and the fuel system has to be hardened against corrosion, but it should all be doable.

e: one problem is that in a lot of places, including california, "e85" at the pump can actually be a range from like 50%-85% ethanol, to allow for flexibility based on local supply. which fuel injection systems can handle with a flexfuel sensor, but carbs require buying e85 from a race fuel supplier to guarantee a consistent ratio.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 28, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Interesting. E85 is available at pretty much all non super small pumps here in Sweden. Isn't that much cheaper though, but at least it's a bit better C02-wise. The other option would be LPG, but that's expensive and hard to get done here, unless you import a car where it's already done.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Steve1989 seems like a nice dude. My wife was hooked on his videos a while back. We even bought a Vietnam era accessory pack from the US.

Also, what kind of mileage can you expect on something like the 48 pictured in your post? Is there a long game plan when it comes to fuel for these older cars (with potential future bans on gasoline etc). Is it possible to do E85 conversions?

Steve is a really cool dude, he is very soft spoken yet he knows exactly where his fame comes from. I took some time off and spent about a week with him - toured him all over LA in the old cars and and we still talk quite a bit. When he came out he brought some stuff with him for us to sample, we smoked old cigarettes, ate old MnM's and tried a few other things. I brought him to a cruise night and he let some of my friends sample stuff too. He's always sending me and my wife pics and little packages in the mail and we return the favor to him. The vietnam era stuff is pretty cool, but the WW2 stuff can be kinda sketchy. If you watch some of his later videos you can see my car club sticker on his wall in the background.

The whole MPG thing has always been really touchy with these old cars - the 48 buick in it stock form has a single dual carb, back when I worked a bit further from home I'd sometimes drive these cars for a week or two - honestly, the mileage with the stock setup wasn't that bad - I'd probably equate it to a full size pickup or SUV. However that dipped slightly after doing the dual carbs on it - I've never done the numbers on them, mostly because the odometer either doesn't work or is wildly inaccurate.. Even though the carbs I have on it are smaller than stock single, its still 2 of them

as far as if gas gets outlawed... I really try not to think about that... and while I think electric cars really are the future, I think gas cars will always be around, at least for the rest of my life, but I really don't want to eat those words.. I don't really think converting these to E85 would be something I'd... want... to do?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

prohibition of the sale of new gasoline-burning cars is right around the corner, but at least in the US the standard has been that the emission regs of the car's model year apply to it indefinitely, and new regulations only apply to future model years. What will probably come after that is a slow ramping up of gasoline taxes to make it expensive enough that it still remains available for niche uses but is priced out of competition with ethanol for daily drivers and revenue-generating vehicles. So it'll probably get more expensive to go cruising, but i doubt it'll ever be illegal.

What you might see, though, is localized prohibition in densely-populated areas. Paris is already banning cars before a certain model year (and thus, before a certain set of emissions regs) from being driven on city streets, and it wouldn't surprise me to see more of that, especially if we pull our heads from our asses and stop with car-centric urban planning.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Got a bit wild today and decided to just start doing stuff to the car - It was really hot out so I decided to be smart about things and wear a wifebeater, shorts and my crocs - I've been rather uncomfortable since

as some of you may have noted, one of the hallmark gimmicks for buick in the 40s was the fact that the hoods open from side to side in one giant piece

the releases are external and are styled as a part of the car - you can see the opened part on the side of the hood here -

its actually a pretty clever system where you open one side of the hood at a time and the latches pivot like a door hinge - if you pop both of the handles the hood comes off in one piece

like so:

the 42 is missing the rear hinges for some odd reason, so while you can open the hood as intended, its unstable and I usually add some extra support while working on it, or remove the hood completely - however this is a 2 man job as the hood is almost 6' long and is quite heavy. My usual helper is my neighbor who is a kid in his early 20s that loves to help out when he can, he has a Dodge dart and I give him a hand, but mostly lend him tools, whenever I can and he comes and helps me - Sadly my lil buddy was diagnosed with cancer (curable) and has been quarantined awaiting a surgery to remove some stuff pretty soon - hes a brave kid and hasn't said a word to me the whole time, so he spilled his guts to me while in the hospital when I called him for help this afternoon. So having been thrown off a bit by that I had to improvise to get the radiator out..

images of this giant hood smashing me were dancing thru my mind as I tried to get this drat thing out but I was successful!

pretty drat clean for what it is... I'm really hoping this can be just a rod out and a patch up job - everything looks to be clean, and even the muck that came out of the upper and lower rad hoses looked pretty normal - as in no oil in the water or chocolate milkshake kind of stuff.

once the radiator was out of the way I was granted access to the harmonic balancer

and the massive 1" bolt that secures the balancer to the crank - IIRC this bolt requires 400 something foot pounds of torque

Previously I had been able to spin the crank by grabbing on to the fan belt and muscling it over - seemed a bit tough but I really couldn't get a great grip on it by doing it this way so the thought of this motor being stuck has been in my mind since. I had also tried putting the car in gear and rocking it while watching the fan - I got it to move slightly with this method but I was still unsure. I got my breaker bar out and dusted off the 1" deep socket and the moment of truth... locked up even with the big cheater bar.

I was pretty upset, walked back to the garage to get more marvel mystery oil and a funnel when I realized that I might have left the car in gear - went to check and sure enough.. I had been spraying down the shifter and clutch linkages and got the gears to row smoothly which they really do. As soon as I did this, the breaker bar started moving, and moving like it should as in easy to turn with the spark plugs out - I even got it to start blowing my finger out of the spark plug holes. I think this sucker is going to run.. I still put more marvel in the holes - its very evident that this thing hasn't turned in quite some time, so I want to give the rings every chance they can get.

I'm starting to realize that this was a very well taken care of car... until they put it outside... everything is connected and in the right place, even some old rear end battery:

its loving remarkable to me about how original and untouched this is. I'm really trying to take as many pics as I can so I can get it back together the right way - Even the specialty hardware that held the rad in..

note the windsheild washer glass jar with the freakin vacuum line still attached.. its rare to find unbroken originals, but with the line still attached?

this was also something I never noticed before

the air inlet and silencer that is specific to the dual carb cars is completely in tact - this is a true factory dual carb car and all the hardware is correct, combine that with the low production numbers of the car and this continues to prove itself to be maybe the only one like it...

Also today I got in line for a new factory correct reproduction cloth covered wiring harness - they are 8-10 weeks out so I have some time figure out how to pay for it - good thing they dont charge you until they actually start pulling wires....

I made the choice to go 12 volt with it - which is not stock, but I'm honestly tired of dealing with 6 volt cars. I know its not factory, but I really want to enjoy this car and I know I'm going to be kicking myself, just like I'm doing with my roadster - i also ordered a pertronix kit for this thing - once again, not stock, but I hate points with a passion

I've been contacted by the Buick Club of America about the car, I've been told that in the entire 55 year history of the club that not one of my model car has ever been listed in its registry and that they want to feature it in their next newsletter, and when its drivable, they may sponsor a trip for my family and the car to a national meet - pretty cool!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Incredible and I agree it's a shame you couldn't get your hands on it a decade or more ago. Look forward to seeing the gradual progress with this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been contacted by the Buick Club of America about the car, I've been told that in the entire 55 year history of the club that not one of my model car has ever been listed in its registry and that they want to feature it in their next newsletter, and when its drivable, they may sponsor a trip for my family and the car to a national meet - pretty cool!

That is so cool :)

This was posted in the obsolete tech thread, and I thought it would be interesting to people in this thread:

https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/1377048176830517256

(There's some video and more info in the twitter thread)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I may have a couple of spools of cloth-covered wire I picked up 20-25 years ago...on the original spools - it's been kept out of the sun. I'll check my garage loft & see if I can dig it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lobster, here's your POV filming rig:

Take a generic GoPro type thing, and zip tie it to the underside of the brim of a cheap old baseball cap. Yes, the camera is upside down (so the edge of the brim isn't in shot), but you can flip the video clips instantly in any editing software.

It doesn't actually intrude into your field of view at all, and it means that the camera sees exactly what you do, no height difference like a chest or helmet mount.

It really is just two holes punched through the cap and a zip tie holding it on.

There's enough slip in it that the zip tie doesn't need to be removed, you just slide the camera out if you need to change batteries or cards.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

This was posted in the obsolete tech thread, and I thought it would be interesting to people in this thread:

My next door neighbor when I was a kid (1974-1980) had one of those in his garage. He worked for Sun as an engineer, I believe. I should ask - he's my still best friend's dad, and was my boss for a year or so, to boot.

edit: I wonder if he still has it...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

My next door neighbor when I was a kid (1974-1980) had one of those in his garage. He worked for Sun as an engineer, I believe. I should ask - he's my still best friend's dad, and was my boss for a year or so, to boot.

edit: I wonder if he still has it...

That reminds me, when I was in college me and some friends would periodically go to the campus "surplus sale", where they'd auction off anything the various departments wanted to get rid of. Once there was an old (maybe 40's-60's) vintage metal box with two analog needle gauges (think old voltmeter), a couple of twist dials, two lugs for ring terminals, none of it labelled), a power plug for a wall outlet, and a crappy old label-maker label that said "OL' SPARKY". Me and my friends ALMOST put in a bid for it, but we were relatively certain it'd be the death of at least one of us somehow.

I still regret not buying it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Man! I’ve always wanted one of those early sun diagnostics machines - I’ve had the chance to get one more than a few times but I always have doubt that they are not working or missing parts - they’re a rather large space investment- I’ve seen plenty of them still in use today at old school shops. One of my mentors had one and on a few occasions he’d hook it up to my car and show me how it was working. They’re fairly complex and fine instruments sadly he was killed in a plane crash in late 2019 so I don’t know the fate of that particular machine.

PainterofCrap posted:

I may have a couple of spools of cloth-covered wire I picked up 20-25 years ago...on the original spools - it's been kept out of the sun. I'll check my garage loft & see if I can dig it out.

Oooh hey now.... I love cloth wiring so much. It gives me the warm and fuzzies. I’ve been buying from a really coo guy that I met on eBay https://www.tonsperformance.com - it’s all modern wire that’s been loomed- he’s also the only game in town for cloth covered suppression core wiring

InitialDave posted:

Lobster, here's your POV filming rig:

That’s fantastically clever - so far the only roll I’ve shot has been on my Dji osmo pocket- sadly it’s fork factor doesn’t really lend itself to that kind of thing- I’ve been collecting some clips to make a sort of intro - I shot some footage the other day of me taking, about it and myself and it’s just really awkward- and it feels awkward standing in my driveway alone talking to a camera - I’m still trying to figure it out - I want it to be really fun to watch and not so “look at my cool stuff”

boxen posted:

That reminds me, when I was in college me and some friends would periodically go to the campus "surplus sale", where they'd auction off anything the various departments wanted to get rid of. Once there was an old (maybe 40's-60's) vintage metal box with two analog needle gauges (think old voltmeter), a couple of twist dials, two lugs for ring terminals, none of it labelled), a power plug for a wall outlet, and a crappy old label-maker label that said "OL' SPARKY". Me and my friends ALMOST put in a bid for it, but we were relatively certain it'd be the death of at least one of us somehow.

I still regret not buying it.

That’s my favorite kind of stuff to buy!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A lot of cameras also have the option to just flip the video while recording - negating the need to do it in editing.

LobsterboyX posted:

Man! I’ve always wanted one of those early sun diagnostics machines - I’ve had the chance to get one more than a few times but I always have doubt that they are not working or missing parts - they’re a rather large space investment- I’ve seen plenty of them still in use today at old school shops.

I haven't seen Sun machine in use in at least 20 years. My very first dedicated mechanic had some Sun stuff, but he worked exclusively on Hondas, and mostly older Hondas at that time. Nothing for points or anything, but definitely some stuff that went PING.... and had thick layers of dust on it.

His son in law was my last solid mechanic (he spun off into his own shop about 15 years ago), and didn't have any Sun stuff. He mostly works on 80s and newer Japanese stuff, with the occasional domestic showing up through his church (he does a fair bit of cost-only work for people at his church). He knows HOW to work on old Hondas (he was a Honda dealer mechanic at one point), but that's about it once you get below ~1985 outside of 60s muscle cars. He'll look it up and he's drat good at what he does, but he does most of the carb stuff by ear. He'd need a bit of time researching if he touched something older than 60s.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I feel like the thread title needs to be changed to 'Dreams of Salt, and other things many care about."

I'm not a big classic car person but this entire thread is great. Keep up the good work, enjoying all the updates! Hope that your neighbor's surgery goes well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

I made the choice to go 12 volt with it - which is not stock, but I'm honestly tired of dealing with 6 volt cars. I know its not factory, but I really want to enjoy this car and I know I'm going to be kicking myself, just like I'm doing with my roadster - i also ordered a pertronix kit for this thing - once again, not stock, but I hate points with a passion

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making changes like this to get/keep a car driving instead of as a non-running "but it's 100% correct" museum piece. There are good reasons that electrical systems jumped from 6V to 12V, and ignitions from points to electronic, very quickly in both cases.

Same re: E85 or E100, if that ever becomes more widely available / more affordable than actual gasoline. You'll just need a fuel system like you were doubling the horsepower of your stock setup.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making changes like this to get/keep a car driving instead of as a non-running "but it's 100% correct" museum piece. There are good reasons that electrical systems jumped from 6V to 12V, and ignitions from points to electronic, very quickly in both cases.

Same re: E85 or E100, if that ever becomes more widely available / more affordable than actual gasoline. You'll just need a fuel system like you were doubling the horsepower of your stock setup.

I used to like purity but now I am fully on board with this. Upgrade whatever it takes to keep the car enjoyable. If it doesn't feel safe to drive on the original brakes, swap it. If the ignition is unreliable, swap it.

My mechanical fuel pump worked well but I trust the electric one more. The 37 amp alternator was fine but the modern one hasn't let me down yet. The incandescent lights were good, but I know everyone can see me with full LEDs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

The 37 amp alternator was fine.
Fine for what, charging a flashlight???

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
That’s what my Cutlass had. The guy at the town starter and alternator shop was surprised that it was for a car, not a tractor.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i guess back when all the alternator had to power was the spark plugs and the lights that was enough. weird

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i guess back when all the alternator had to power was the spark plugs and the lights that was enough. weird

The generator in the 51 plymouth has a hard time keeping up with the tube radio at low engine speeds...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Exactly, blower fan, lights, wipers, spark and radio is the maximum draw. Radio was a single speaker too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

chrisgt posted:

The generator in the 51 plymouth has a hard time keeping up with the tube radio at low engine speeds...

turning up the radio by downshifting

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Yeah, generators suck, I love driving at night, and I love driving with friends - this puts a lot of stress on all of my batteries-

I know alternators are better but I really really love the look of the generator - there's a few things like this in my world of cars that bug the poo poo out of me

Firstly is seeing radial tires in period movies, yes, I'm that guy, and I piss a lot of friends off with that, the second is the alternator/generator thing - bad rear end restored car or hot rod with a gm one wire.. UGH drives me insane - I've always wanted to try one of these out:

https://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-...tomotive&sr=1-1

But I'm afraid that I'll need one for every car I own, these are really stout units, they are basically one wires dressed up in a generator case. I actually just found out that you can order them with bigger pulley diameters from their factory.. which is a sticking point for my 48 which has a 7/8" wide V belt... from a bus...

see?

The cost is just a bit of a hard pill to swallow, outfitting my fleet with these would be a costly exercise.

I installed onboard battery chargers/tenders on all of the cars, and its just become part of my routine, very first worldy I know.

In other news: today is my birthday, and I decided to celebrate yesterday by doing something wacky..

My tenant that lives the garage was not pleased with this...

the 42 is now the second car that has been in my garage since the mid 90s. I was really hoping both the 42 and the roadster will fit in there, but I'm going to have to do some rearranging if I want to make this happen, and with the long term timeline that comes with the 42, I don't think this is the best place for it right now - I have a few weeks until a spot is cleared for it at the shop thats doing the floors on it so I think I may take the time to enjoy this springtime weather by driving the roadster.

I also got this very cool book from a friend but I don't know if its a gift for me, or for my boy..

my wife is super cool and got me some new glass for my gas globes that adorn the garage:

the story of Gilmore gas is really pivotal to the story of los angeles, that story really does deserve to be told, and there are still some remnants of the Gilmore legacy lurking in plain sight, but this deserves a separate post and some field trips for me to properly explain.

Speaking of LA history... Have you guys ever used Lawry's seasoning salt? Well if you dont, go get some, you're welcome. If you did, did you know that Lawry's is actually a restaurant?

well its actually one of the oldest in LA..

Lawry's prime rib has been a tradition for my birthday since I was a teen - My mom was deeply in to vintage stuff as well, and loved exposing me to super cool retro places all over LA - last year was the first year I haven't been. the food is top notch and they have some very old school traditions (gimmicks) that really are special. - they are also involved in a long standing "we were first" feud with a northern California joint called "house of prime rib" which is very similar, I've been to both and I prefer to rep my own city yo - and I don't see a nationally distributed seasoning salt bearing its name...

Anyway, in addition to the very traditional menu, the prime rib is (used to be) served to you, at your table out of this incredible work of art:

perhaps the orignal "A La Cart" - here's the some really great info on this cart: https://lawrysalacart.com/2010/06/01/behind-scenes-just-rolling-along/

Anyway, this is my favorite place, even though its not in the original building pictured above, it was moved across the street to a larger building in the 90s. I have to say, with all the poo poo we've been thru in the last year, coming back to this place felt really great, with great friends, and great food.. but due to covid regulations, they didn't bring the cart to our table, but they were still using them to serve food :cry:

so I went to it:

one of the coolest things about this is that the original 1938 carts are still in service today.

I have the meat sweats as I type this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looking at the Wikipedia page, I would be very interested in hearing about the Gilmore Guys. I will also make it a point to hit Lawry's next time I'm in LA (November, maybe).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Those carts are amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I knew Lawry's had a restaurant (there's one in Dallas, though I've never been), knew about the salt (it was a staple in my grandmother's house, my mother's house, and my home as well... plus I kinda work in a grocery store). Didn't know about the history though, that's pretty neat. Especially the carts.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I did not come here expecting to find out my seasoning salt was attached to a restaurant. Wild.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

angryrobots posted:

I did not come here expecting to find out my seasoning salt was attached to a restaurant. Wild.

No idea. Wait 'til my wife hears about this. She loves the old prime-rib joints.

Dinner clubs are apparently a big thing in Wisconsin, I wonder if they don't pre-date the California locations.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/chi-defining-wisconsins-supper-club-culture-20150119-story.html

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/dining/supper-clubs

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That garage as an impressive layering of cool poo poo. Interested in how you think two cars fit there, but I saw my neighbor cram three wide in his two car garage with dollies so what do I know.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Those carts are amazing.

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that kind of service used to be a lot more common; bringing everyone's food all already individually plated is a fairly recent (as in early 20th century in the US, mid-20th elsewhere) thing. There's various older styles of table service that you still occasionally see, usually in ultrafancy hotel restaurants and catered settings, but the food being portioned and plated at the table is a common feature of them all. I didn't know any restaurants besides house of prime rib that still did this (i think this is termed "russian service" but don't quote me). I'll have to check out lawry's next time im in LA