Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Flayer posted:

British Summer Time should be all year round. We only change clocks because of tradition, it's not a system that would ever be implemented now if it didn't already exist.

That'll be the worst option possible, keep it winter time keep me three hours ahead of my girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Summertime all the time, move rumda's girlfriend's landmass into the same longitude as the UK.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
uuuugh uuuugh i'b keer stawbuh i agreh wuth thuh gubbuhmunt uuuururrrrrrururgh wut uggs uuuururgh

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Time and dates and whatever are meaningless really aren't they? We have daylight saving, other countries do the same. Over history kings and rulers and religion has changed the calendar whenever they felt like it.

It's the 28th of March today, but is it?

Is it really..?

UTC for the win though, stop the clock changing madness.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you've tried skills wallets, now try time wallets

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Move the world 30 minutes forward and have done with it. :colbert:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
We should squish and stretch the hours by time of year and latitude so that the sun always comes up at 6am, is highest at noon, and goes down at 6pm. That's the only system that makes any sense.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

Summertime all the time, move rumda's girlfriend's landmass into the same longitude as the UK.

Brazil is kinda big but I'm definitely up for it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure she's not that big op

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

8-4 is a much more civilised working day than 9-5 & I will die on this hill. Also good: being able to tell what time it is by looking at the sky or work out compass points with your watch without having to adjust, easily being able to work out what time sunrise & sunset are. When I worked outside I just didn't bother changing my watch in the summer, easier that way.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Widdershins Jig
That's my fave too :) Yes, & it was awesome. This was the Vintage Whine tour so I was worried they wouldn't be playing the classics (or would do them in more of a folk-punk style like they do now), but they stayed true to form & were fantastic.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Borrovan posted:

8-4 is a much more civilised working day than 9-5 & I will die on this hill.

But I hate getting up early

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Early is the best time, especially in summer when it's calm, very nice sitting outside in your pjs eating toast at 4 or 5 AM.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Borrovan posted:

8-4 is a much more civilised working day than 9-5 & I will die on this hill.

Absolutely not, 10-6 supremacy. Even in the winter you get a little bit of daylight before you have to start working, and in the summer is still light until 8/9/10pm anyway for after work activities. 8-4 means going to bed when it's still light outside in June. That's absurd.

Vvvvvv this is the real answer tbh, with a 2 hour lunch.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 28, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Work from home, do 10-4 and hope nobody catches on imo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My boss starts every morning with a teams videocall at 9am and woe betide anyone who's 1 minute late

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

When the sun is over the yard-arm, it's time to start drinking rum!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Arguing over the best 8 hour day is counter-revolutionary imo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

10am - 3pm is the day for me, I just can't concentrate on work after 3pm, whether I'm in the office or not. Plus, you have time to get other stuff done before dinner instead of loving everything off until the weekend.

I like getting up early, I definitely feel awake and productive when I do, but I can't maintain it. My body wants to sleep from 1am - 9am, and it always has.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 28, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Arguing over the best 8 hour day is counter-revolutionary imo

An 8hr workday spread over about a month

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Early is the best time, especially in summer when it's calm, very nice sitting outside in your pjs eating toast at 4 or 5 AM.
:respek: I loving love having the entire world to myself for hours before everyone else gets up. Sometimes I go down to the sea front, it's eerily calm. Other times I just get an entire day's work done with no distractions by like, 10am, & spend the rest of the day skiving off & occasionally replying to an e-mail to look busy.

blunt posted:

Absolutely not, 10-6 supremacy. Even in the winter you get a little bit of daylight before you have to start working, and in the summer is still light until 8/9/10pm anyway for after work activities. 8-4 means going to bed when it's still light outside in June. That's absurd.
This is crazy talk, why would I want more time looking at my watch & stressing about having to go to work soon when I could knock off early & actually chill for a few hours.

sebzilla posted:

Work from home, do 10-4 and hope nobody catches on imo
This is praxis though

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I legit tend to work work from maybe 1pm or 2pm to 5pm and that sounds like piss all but if you actually just concentrate and do what needs to be done you can get through the same amount of work you'd do in a shift twice as long. Needing to do task-oriented rather than time-oriented working has really emphasised to me how little of the formal working day many of us spend actually working.* Instead of stressing that I'm not starting early I just accept it and spend it playing videogames or reading rather than staring at a blinking cursor in word for three hours.

Of course this doesn't apply to all jobs, particularly customer service etc.

* the big caveat with this working system is you do inevitably sometimes get crunch and find yourself working until 2am lol

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 28, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

For people whose jobs is basically typing into Bad Screen there's no reason to have a synchronised work day at all IMO

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

crispix posted:

uuuugh uuuugh i'b keer stawbuh i agreh wuth thuh gubbuhmunt uuuururrrrrrururgh wut uggs uuuururgh

uuuoh ive nutted all over your eggs

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Borrovan posted:

:respek: I loving love having the entire world to myself for hours before everyone else gets up. Sometimes I go down to the sea front, it's eerily calm. Other times I just get an entire day's work done with no distractions by like, 10am, & spend the rest of the day skiving off & occasionally replying to an e-mail to look busy.

Pretty much the same reason I opt for doing 7-3. Its nice to be out of work mid afternoon too. Most of the shops are empty as parents are doing the school run around that time. The boss has said 6-2 is an option but I can't quite manage getting up that early / going to bed earlier than 10.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From IOSM:

Schaden that freude all over me daddy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

That's my fave too :) Yes, & it was awesome. This was the Vintage Whine tour so I was worried they wouldn't be playing the classics (or would do them in more of a folk-punk style like they do now), but they stayed true to form & were fantastic.

A mate did me a copy tape of Tracks from the Wilderness with Lawnmower Deth on the other side a d it's what got 14 yo me into metal. I still love Emerald, A room Next Door and most of all When All Else Fails off that ep, but my favourite is probably Earth Son,the Mother and the Furious Host off Jonah's Ark. Wayward Sons is my favourite album overall. Cracking band, always wanted to see them at the Phoenix festival but never made it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
When I actually get up early I enjoy the fact I have got up early once I am actually up.

But I don't actually like getting up early so it rarely happens. At the moment we have a 'daily catch up' call with everyone in our department (40 ppl or so) every morning at 9.30am so I get up at about 9.27am, keep my camera off, and once my team's part of the meeting is done I go shower and make coffee and actually start working at about 10. Normally logged off by about 5.30pm (although it's particularly quiet at the moment - busy periods can be 7pm or later)

Weekends these days I get up at about noon, but from 9am normally just kind of snoozing in and out of sleep maybe checking my phone a bit

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh dear, I'm getting dogpiled by my ex-clp. I'm still on the FB and email list, and on FB they posted an article "Keir Starmer: Who is he?" All I did was respond ' No idea. He doesn't even know.', and they've all gone crackers about how he is steady and sensible, forensic, etc.

So glad done with those loving melts.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The Scottish Parliament elections are coming up and I legit have no idea how to vote. Still technically a Labour member but as if I'm voting for Starmer or Sarwar. A catastrophic defeat for them is probably long term the best thing for the UK left anyway.

But who else? Scottish greens are decent, I guess. I do feel like there's a massive gaping hole in UK politics for an actual mainstream left party. The ideological support is clearly there especially amongst the younger half of the population. If the unions switched funding to an insurgent radical party and modernised their operations to fit the service economy and appeal to young people, they'd have a real shot at getting somewhere, much like labour itself did in the early 20th c.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm constantly reminded how poo poo it is that our one shot at killing FPTP was a massive failure. Having a genuinely left-wing party able to enact policy in a coalition would solve so much of the bollocks that we've had to deal with from labour. They could go full mask-off center right instead of occupying space better served by a party that, y'know, cares.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

A proper left party could make serious inroads if everyone involved acknowledged they'd have to spend a good amount of time building and organising without immediate parliamentary success

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Brexit vote may have been the UK missing the last offramp from the Failed State superhighway, and the failed FPTP reform was the UK ripping the steering wheel off and loving it out the window.

Idk the analogy works in my head

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Stop reading this thread for one day and miss all the Nottingham chat. Woe unto any of you who disparaged the name of Rock City, and whoever paid money for a kebab with rice in does not know how to order a kebab properly.

The tram tracks thing is A Thing though. I've worked in two offices near the same tram bridge (with no road over it, only tram tracks) and somewhere in Google Photos I have quite the collection of photos of stuck cars and increasing amounts of NO STOP NO NO NO STOP TRAMS ONLY warnings they've plastered over every available inch of signage and pavement.

Also, timezones: abolish the whole loving thing. Use UTC worldwide, who gives a poo poo if New York wakes up at 4pm? Way less confusion than trying to arrange stuff over multiple timezones which may or may not be in UTC or local time, and which may or may not have had daylight savings applied, etc.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ThomasPaine posted:

A proper left party could make serious inroads if everyone involved acknowledged they'd have to spend a good amount of time building and organising without immediate parliamentary success

I see that as more of a role for eg: momentum. UKIP certainly did a good job of dragging the tories to the right out of a fear they'd mop up votes, but it needed the press platforming them at every available opportunity to do so, and I doubt a left-wing party would get the same treatment. I reckon even if the NIP does well they'll only ever be poo poo on for 'letting the tories walk it'. Momentum haven't really managed to put pressure on Lab post-corbyn but they're good at local organising and could help boost genuine lefty policy outside of the usual parliamentary route.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
For 3-4 years clocks changed 4 times a year in Cairo when Ramadan was hitting the summer. Change forward last Friday in April, then back again start of Ramadan, then forward again end of Ramadan, then back again last Thursday night in September.
This was to allow people who had to go to work a longer sleep after the pre-dawn eating binge during Ramadan.
It was very confusing especially for international flights.
People said check on timeanddate.com but I had an email from that very website asking me what time it was in Egypt. LOL (They asked me for reasons I shan't go into for anti-doxxing precautions.)

They've stopped doing DST at all now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think I'll be joining Alba.
Aldi and Ldl didn't impress me.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Mason with a bit of a stopped clock moment https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1376160986940444674

Good old Marr https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1376100319885717510?s=19, you can just imagine his producer in his ear saying "don't pick up the telegraph, REPEAT, do not pick up the telegraph"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Mason backed the wrong horse in the leadership because of his terrible politics and is still making these mad proclaimations like he has any influence any more. Starmer and the right never agreed with anything he said and he pissed off the Corbynites by being a crazy hack.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There's a referendum in Tower Hamlets at the same time as the London Mayoral election as to whether or not we continue to have a directly-elected mayor, but (as always with Tower Hamlets) the dynamics are deeply, deeply weird.

The headline is that the leader of the "No more mayor" campaign is... John Biggs, current Labour mayor. That's odd, and even odder is that (although not *officially* part of the campaign for the very good reason he's legally forbidden to take part in election campaigns) the biggest picture and name on the Yes campaign is Lutfur Rahman, former mayor until convicted of electoral fraud in his election campaign.

Rahman is rebuilding his coalition that got him into office, either with an eye to running for it again in 2022 when his prohibition against running expires, or more likely as the power behind the throne of another candidate. Why is he so interested in the role? Well it comes down to the demographics of the area. His natural constituency is the Bangladeshi community in the west of the borough, and no doubt figures - even without the shenanigans he pulled before - he can gather enough votes from them in a low-turnout election to win a first-round victory. The geographical concentration though means he has basically no path to power (and the, ahem, *rewarding* position of being in charge of planning applications around Canary Wharf and the eastern edge of the City) through council seats.

Conversely the Labour Party both recognise this risk (particularly with their current absolute stranglehold on the council) but are also on maneuvers yet again. It's looking increasingly likely that either one or both parliamentary seats might become vacant - Apsana Begum in Poplar and Limehouse is awaiting trial on housing fraud allegations (which... might be true but the whole thing is murky as gently caress and I wouldn't have wanted to comment on it even before it became sub judice) and Rushanara Ali in Bethnal Green and Bow has made some noises about retirement, and her seat will be up for reselection if the 2023 Boundary Review goes the same way as the abandoned 2018 one.

The current mayor, John Biggs, has been playing the long game and is either the smartest or luckiest politician in the country - he refused to put himself forward either for selection as the mayoral candidate in 2010 or an MEP candidate in 2014, meaning when it all collapsed he was left as about the only clean-handed Labour candidate, and he's used the mayor's office to keep out of the massive bunfight over the 2019 Poplar and Limehouse nomination. If the mayor position is shut down he'll easily be in pole position for any seats that come up or, if none do, he'll find it very easy to get a council seat and get himself elected as Leader on the same "You hate me slightly less than everyone else" platform he got the mayoral nomination on. Unmesh Desai, who took over Biggs seat on the GLA, is likewise also looking to lever himself into either the reorganised Bethnal Green and Bow seat (which will take over a chunk of Newham for no good loving reason) or into the mayoral postion in Newham, but I really don't have the mental bandwidth to keep track of what the gently caress's going on on the other side of the Lea.

So like I say, we have a political campaign where one side is campaigning to put himself out of a job, and the other side is legally forbidden to take the job.

"That's one hell of a borough you've got there, what do you call it?" "TOWER HAMLETS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/bellacaledonia/status/1376200429114130433?s=19

new Scotgoon project: take over the Scottish Lib Dems once they're decimated in May and turn them into a libertarian socialist party