Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Catching up on a few pages so the convo already moved on but I wanna revisit it: paying for infrastructure.

The entire premise that people who use infra the most should be the ones to pay for it, ignores the fact that infrastructure provides a benefit to everyone, whether you directly use it or not. The nations economy runs on its infrastructure. Everyone who benefits from this economy benefits from the power, water, transportation, and communications networks that tie it together. It doesn't matter if you don't even own a car: your life would be materially different if the roads were worse, and is materially better when the roads are better, because you either use things that directly travel those roads, or you rely on people who do. This is also true of trains, airports, electricity generation, etc.

Libertarians loving love toll roads and toll bridges. Why? They hate taxes, of course. You should immediately be suspicious of any idea that libertarians loving love. gently caress You Got Mine underpins every idea every Libertarian has ever embraced.

Moreover: using taxes to discourage behavior is bullshit! Alcohol and tobacco addicts don't stop drinking or smoking just because heavy taxes on those habits drive them further into poverty! Gas taxes do not reduce how much people drive, at all. The only thing sustained high gas prices has an effect on is demand for moderately more fuel-efficient vehicles from middle class commuters, who can afford to pay extra up-front for this year's slightly more efficient new vehicles; poor people, which at this point is nearly half the country's population, buy used cars, and that means cars 5+ years old that haven't held their value well, and that means very few poor people drive hybrids even though the first really massive production of hybrids started in 1999 with the Honda Insight.

Fuel usage has a component that is voluntary: taking road trips, driving to a nearby destination you could bike or walk to instead (if you're healthy and the weather is good and you don't need to bring a ton of stuff and you have the extra time), etc.; but it also has a component that is mandatory (getting to work, exiting a food desert neighborhood to get to where they sell affordable food, traveling in poor weather, etc.) and the poorer you are, the more likely it is that almost all of your fuel usage is basically mandatory.

You know what drives more fuel efficient cars? Regulations! Not tax cuts, not gas that costs 20 cents more per gallon or whatever, but the state of California simply dictating that a manufacturer can't sell in the state unless its entire fleet average MPG rises to X by Y date means every car manufacturer that refuses, loses a fifth of the country's new car market. Yes, CA also has higher cost fuel, partly because of taxes, but also partly because CA dictates gasoline composition via regulations, so all the fuel Californians use is refined in-state, where labor and other costs are higher. Which is also regressive, so don't think CA is doing the best goddamn thing, we also have stupid sin taxes and regressive taxes and high costs for using public transportation and bridge tolls and all that poo poo.

The point here, though, is that if it's a huge mistake to essentially blame people for being stuck using cars and driving a lot every day by taxing them for it. The people who can least afford those taxes are also the people with the least ability to react to them in the way you want them to. America is addicted to trying to solve problems by using taxes, both slapping them on things to discourage use, and offering tax breaks to encourage things (and that's another one of those really loving stupid habits, massive tax breaks for huge profitable businesses to entice them to locate in your district) and it's an awful, horribly damaging habit that is one of the reasons such a rich country has such a staggering disparity of wealth and privilege and access.

So tl;dr, making the immediate consumer of infrastructure bear its cost is a bullshit trick that ignores what infrastructure actually does, and, slapping taxes on things that people can't stop using to try and discourage their use is regressive and awful. We should pay for infrastructure and essential services with progressive taxes, including treating capital gains exactly like the actual income it is, and also a wealth tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Did you start at the beginning? I don't recommend it, but if you haven't seen much before and you've had a lot of people telling you how great the show is it's really fun to throw plot descriptions of episodes from the first two seasons in those people's faces.

Also that episode where Picard lives an entire life in a dead culture and at the end can barely play the flute is a lovely episode and it's mind bogglingly to me people think it's one of the best.

Yep I watched a few a couple months ago and I've picked up from there. Mudd's Women's takeaway being Michael's Secret Stuff was incredibly funny.

I just watched Baby Clint Howard using a gray alien puppet to make friends, and they decide to abandon the weird crewman with him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Yep I watched a few a couple months ago and I've picked up from there. Mudd's Women's takeaway being Michael's Secret Stuff was incredibly funny.

I just watched Baby Clint Howard using a gray alien puppet to make friends, and they decide to abandon the weird crewman with him

See my edit. TOS is loving amazing. There's dumb poo poo in there but also the highest highs of the entire franchise. One of the best submarine movies ever made is part of the first season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

It apparently wasn't very popular when it aired originally, it gained it's popularity in syndication, so they probably played the better episodes more often, like how TNG in syndication almost never played S1 episodes.

It's a little more complicated than that. When NBC tried to cancel TOS after season 2 and then did cancel it after season 3, they never bothered to look at the syndication numbers, and they never realized they had killed a golden goose. It was, by far, the most popular show for channels to buy, and affiliates were eating that poo poo up like gangbusters. This is why Paramount / Gulf + Western wound up approaching Gene Roddenberry as early as 1971 / 72 about making a low-budget movie for ABC (before trying to make a theatrical movie, then trying to launch a fourth network, then trying to do a theatrical movie again, then going back to the idea of a TV series, before that TV pilot finally became a theatrical movie in 1979). NBC did its best to destroy what could have been its biggest moneymaker for a decade.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

Losing the the Mavs though....... oof
That was karma for "The Decision" and the pep rally with Bosh and Wade before the season even started

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

See my edit. TOS is loving amazing. There's dumb poo poo in there but also the highest highs of the entire franchise. One of the best submarine movies ever made is part of the first season.

Oh I'm enjoying TOS immensely but the first half of season one has zero logical consistency with... anything from week-to-week, so it's just funny it has a notoriously pedantic fantasy.

Their uniforms change weekly, Spock had a pseudo-british accent for like a week, Scotty phases in and out of existence.

I think my favorite thing is not wanting to trudge over to the sick bay set so they have Bones just wandering onto the bridge. Ditto scotty just hanging out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Oh I'm enjoying TOS immensely but the first half of season one has zero logical consistency with... anything from week-to-week, so it's just funny it has a notoriously pedantic fantasy.

Their uniforms change weekly, Spock had a pseudo-british accent for like a week, Scotty phases in and out of existence.

I think my favorite thing is not wanting to trudge over to the sick bay set so they have Bones just wandering onto the bridge. Ditto scotty just hanging out.

My favorite thing about TOS, Stardate doesn't mean poo poo outside the context of an individual episode

If Kirk says "Stardate 2156.5" the ".5" is the only important part, that means around noon and if he says "Stardate 2157.8" later in the episode that means a day and a half has passed, but the next episode he'll say "Stardate 8523.1" and the next "Stardate 345.8"

Later series tied Stardates directly to our Earth calendar.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you had to live in any fictional universe what would it be?

mine would be starship troopers

j/k, but also maybe not

but also j/k

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

My favorite thing about TOS, Stardate doesn't mean poo poo outside the context of an individual episode

If Kirk says "Stardate 2156.5" the ".5" is the only important part, that means around noon and if he says "Stardate 2157.8" later in the episode that means a day and a half has passed, but the next episode he'll say "Stardate 8523.1" and the next "Stardate 345.8"

Later series tied Stardates directly to our Earth calendar.

Later series tied stardates to seasons. So if a TNG episode started with "Stardate 47988," for example, it was season 7, and 44791 was season 4.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TOS first season has the most misogyny in it too. Once you notice that women aren't allowed to ever finish a sentence, you can't stop noticing it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Omg gently caress yeah Rom

DS9 rules

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

Omg gently caress yeah Rom

DS9 rules

yeah it does friend where's Rom gonna get that clostet space

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Its Rinaldo posted:

yeah it does friend where's Rom gonna get that clostet space

Silence. he's only in early season 4, Rom and Leeta aren't a thing yet

Timby fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 28, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You know what drives more fuel efficient cars? Regulations! Not tax cuts, not gas that costs 20 cents more per gallon or whatever, but the state of California simply dictating that a manufacturer can't sell in the state unless its entire fleet average MPG rises to X by Y date means every car manufacturer that refuses, loses a fifth of the country's new car market. Yes, CA also has higher cost fuel, partly because of taxes, but also partly because CA dictates gasoline composition via regulations, so all the fuel Californians use is refined in-state, where labor and other costs are higher. Which is also regressive, so don't think CA is doing the best goddamn thing, we also have stupid sin taxes and regressive taxes and high costs for using public transportation and bridge tolls and all that poo poo.

yeah, I work in automotive in planning for future products/projects, so I can't say toooo much but I can say that Europe having standards coming on line -- especially for emissions/bans, and EV toll breaks -- is driving a lot of change. It's a way not just to make people hold their nose and pay a higher initial price for something else, but also to re-frame what a vehicle might cost them overall. I work in commercial stuff, so a little different to passenger cars, but the same idea applies.

also the other component is building up alternatives to using cars. making a plan, sticking to it long-term, and not expecting it to be profitable -- instead underpinning it as a public good -- seem (to me) to be the best ways to approach that. The model that most of the big railways in Japan have (real estate, shopping, etc. all around your main stations and all of the smaller stations on the subway line) may or may not be replicable elsewhere.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I know the conversation has mostly move on, but I just wanted to say a couple things. I don’t think infrastructure should be paid entirely through use taxes, just partially. We make everyone pay some cost of all infrastructure, I still have water, sewer, electricity bills etc. I definitely don’t want roads 100% funded through use taxes and tolls.

There is evidence that high taxes influences behavior. High tobacco taxes are a big deterrent to young people smoking. It’s less effective against long-term smokers, but most long-term smokers start young, so it is effective in the long run. Even the sugar taxes that are really unpopular are effective at driving sugar consumption down. So I think there is some use to higher taxes to drive social issues.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Usage tax or passing maintenance costs entirely to drivers in the form of tolls leads to poo poo like the PA Turnpike (America's 1st interstate highway), which fell into massive disrepair and also ever-worsening failure to grow with population and traffic due to lack of infrastructure spending despite the Turnpike being 1 of 2 east-west interstate highways in the 5th largest state.

The comically gerrymandered state GOP decided that since the Turnpike was already a toll road, then it had to pay for its own capital improvement projects, and now it costs quadruple to travel in a five year span. It's nearly $5 per exit now, which is absurd, insane and untenable

No loving thank you to expanding that nationwide

D-LINK fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 28, 2021

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know the conversation has mostly move on, but I just wanted to say a couple things. I don’t think infrastructure should be paid entirely through use taxes, just partially. We make everyone pay some cost of all infrastructure, I still have water, sewer, electricity bills etc. I definitely don’t want roads 100% funded through use taxes and tolls.

There is evidence that high taxes influences behavior. High tobacco taxes are a big deterrent to young people smoking. It’s less effective against long-term smokers, but most long-term smokers start young, so it is effective in the long run. Even the sugar taxes that are really unpopular are effective at driving sugar consumption down. So I think there is some use to higher taxes to drive social issues.

Now explain how means testing the most current stimulus, resulting in fewer people getting money than Trump’s, was actually a good thing. :v:

For real though, I don’t believe regressive taxes are the starting place for things like infrastructure. Driving isn’t like smoking or sugary drinks, it’s a necessary activity.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 28, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
loving arby’s is responsible for some of the democratic self compromise out of the senate. I wonder how much each senator was paid.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
TFF Compound located.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3970-Spencer-St_Las-Vegas_NV_89119_M16862-23784

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My mom is refusing to get a covid vaccine because:

- She has self-diagnosed auto immune disorders and the mRNA vaccines are "more dangerous to her than the virus itself".

- She uses Xlear nasal spray and "it's more effective than the covid vaccine".

We've been trying to reform some kind of civil relationship with her but she makes it really hard. I've never known anyone who so consistently falls on the wrong side of every single issue in life.

Neat! It reminds me of Blast From The Past.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im lvl 80 in ffxiv but im still catching up on story and my god the end of stormblood just loving draaaaaaaaags

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

im lvl 80 in ffxiv but im still catching up on story and my god the end of stormblood just loving draaaaaaaaags

Yeah. The story stuff is what killed the game for me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm into the dance floor with stripper pole and also the "painted skys."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Edit: dammit, quote != edit

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Neil Armbong posted:

Driving isn’t like smoking or sugary drinks, it’s a necessary activity.

And automobiles don't really degrade roads, it's heavy trucks, so charging drivers per mile isn't really a way to equitably pay for maintenance if that's the goal.

Gas tax was really an excellent accident-- heavier vehicles got worse mileage so they on effect paid more than cars, and it also incentivized people to move to more efficient vehicles. Mileage is a poor substitute, but nothing better (different taxes) is easier.

Our region has a half cent sales tax for all transportation-- roads and transit-- on the logic that you are driving or transiting to get those goods. It's a tough spot for transportation depts.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

North Dakota and MN Duluth about to start 4OT with a trip to the Frozen Four on the line. ESPNU has it. Incredible game so far.

I was hoping we could catch some of the hockey playoffs now that ESPN+ is streaming a shitload of stuff on Hulu, but we're still stuck refreshing the app for Gopher updates.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

I'm into the dance floor with stripper pole and also the "painted skys."

The fake trees and painted landscapes made me laugh. Although if the person who owns it thinks they might actually have to spend multiple years down there, I guess it's a reminder of what life is like up above.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

Everyone seems to think Shadowbringers is the best story portion, and I agree 100%. It's just annoying that it takes so long to get there if you don't use a jump potion.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

phoenix could use some kind of disincentive for its sprawling geography.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

Water prices scale based on distance from metro stops

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Ehud you reminded me of the most entertaining part of SNL last night:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1376029708568178688

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/kinematografi/status/1375871882436734980?s=21

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Ehud you reminded me of the most entertaining part of SNL last night:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1376029708568178688

I normally don't like SNL but that was pretty good

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ll never forget the insane backlash from her showing up to a local bar after moving into the neighborhood. She was harassed and kicked out.

(Swickles reference : it was the original brass ring pub)

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

hifi posted:

you'll take my comfortable peoria suburb from my cold dead hands

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

Later series tied stardates to seasons. So if a TNG episode started with "Stardate 47988," for example, it was season 7, and 44791 was season 4.

Right, but the shows roughly happen real time so season 7 takes place three Earth years after season 4, and they're consistent across shows that take place in different time periods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehud posted:

My mom is refusing to get a covid vaccine because:

- She has self-diagnosed auto immune disorders and the mRNA vaccines are "more dangerous to her than the virus itself".

- She uses Xlear nasal spray and "it's more effective than the covid vaccine".

We've been trying to reform some kind of civil relationship with her but she makes it really hard. I've never known anyone who so consistently falls on the wrong side of every single issue in life.

Neat! It reminds me of Blast From The Past.

My friend's parents are that sorta hippy anti-vaccer but he managed to convince them to get the vaccine because he has a 4 year old daughter and he told them "my biggest fear is she'll stay with you and you'll get sick and die and she'll have to live with that the rest of her life."

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

seiferguy posted:

Everyone seems to think Shadowbringers is the best story portion, and I agree 100%. It's just annoying that it takes so long to get there if you don't use a jump potion.

Yeah shadowbringers rules.

Storm blood suuuuucks

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

My friend's parents are that sorta hippy anti-vaccer but he managed to convince them to get the vaccine because he has a 4 year old daughter and he told them "my biggest fear is she'll stay with you and you'll get sick and die and she'll have to live with that the rest of her life."

This is literally the line I had to give my mom when she was whining about isolation and said dying to hug her granddaughter would be “worth it” :jerkbag:

We were still having outdoor masked, distanced visits but that wasn’t good enough I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

Stormblood Stormblood or the patches?