Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's hard to get across just how disastrous and bad Biden winning is. This election really was the most important one in our lives. We could have either elected Bernie Sanders or when the election was stolen from him, Trump. Either one would have better.

I really think back to back losses would have maybe made some people start waking up to the fact that democrats are just as bad, if not worse than republicans and that massive change to what is even considered a democrat needs to happen. Most people are hopeless but a non-zero amount of people might have used Trump winning again as motivation to push for real change and progress.

Instead we got tens of thousands of suburbanites upset about mask laws punishing Trump and justifying everything the democrat party thought was true. 2016 was stolen by Russia! No need to change things! People prefer the rapist throwing children into cages and destroying the black community because he is the platonic ideal of a politician! At least he isn't orange man! Only possible outcome! Better Than Nothing!!

Right at a pivotal moment when we are facing down climate apocalypse and world on the verge of meltdown in our lifetimes enough voters decided they wanted to live in the 1990s that we set the clock back 30 years to West Wing style bullshit and wastes of time while every Biden voter cheers on the fact that he is doing poo poo objectively worse than Trump but that the important thing is that he is not Trump.

the elites are the ones who decided it was Biden time

the choice between Biden and Trump was lovely and they were being bombarded 24/7 by propaganda about how Kind and Understanding Biden is, so i'm leery about blaming voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

readingatwork posted:

I just looked up why she closed her twitter account and it is ten times stupider than I was expecting. Basically she made an incredibly benign tweet in which she called the new Disney+ movie a Last Airbender knockoff and the internet had a meltdown because both franchises took inspiration from a third story that she wasn't aware of or something and apparently that's racist(?) and resulted in a flood of incredibly bad faith takes.

I really wish I could properly explain to people how counterproductive this poo poo is. You're basically proving Fox News right when they talk about the horrors of cancel culture.

Disney fans are 1000% more active and effective at policing the discourse than any other group on the internet.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Gumball Gumption posted:

I met the avatar guys once. They were greasy weebs and one of them looks like an egg.

lmao i had no idea they were two white guys who somehow made an asian inspired anime?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

shut up about avatar holy poo poo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

what is this dumbass even talking about

It's a tax on people who drive, not on auto and oil companies

If I pay $1 in sales tax, that's a tax on me and not the company whose product I've bought lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's hard to get across just how disastrous and bad Biden winning is. This election really was the most important one in our lives. We could have either elected Bernie Sanders or when the election was stolen from him, Trump. Either one would have better.

I really think back to back losses would have maybe made some people start waking up to the fact that democrats are just as bad, if not worse than republicans and that if our power structure is going to smother any third party and demand there only be two then massive change to what is even considered a democrat needs to happen. Most people are hopeless but a non-zero amount of people might have used Trump winning again as motivation to push for real change and progress.

Instead we got tens of thousands of suburbanites upset about mask laws punishing Trump and justifying everything the democrat party thought was true. 2016 was stolen by Russia! No need to change things! People prefer the rapist throwing children into cages and destroying the black community because he is the platonic ideal of a politician! Back to normal! At least he isn't orange man! Only possible outcome! Better Than Nothing!!

Right at a pivotal moment when we are facing down climate apocalypse and world on the verge of meltdown in our lifetimes enough voters decided they wanted to live in the 1990s that we set the clock back 30 years to West Wing style bullshit and wastes of time while every Biden voter cheers on the fact that he is doing poo poo objectively worse than Trump but that the important thing is that he is not Trump. Justifying, excusing, empowering and enabling Democrats in 2020 is going to turn out to be one of the worst things to ever happen to the world.

Specifically, you can see this in the Harris tweet:

That tweet is entirely designed to target what the DNC has decided is the new Democratic base, well educated middle class white people. So saying "rent is paid" makes sense to them and tells them that Biden is succeeding. Sure, maybe it alienates some minorities, but who are they going to vote for, Jim Eagle?

The white people not making rent? Well the Democrats have given up on you.

All this in service of extending the narratives that everything is fixed and OK now, in the midst of the biggest crisis in human history.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

the elites are the ones who decided it was Biden time

the choice between Biden and Trump was lovely and they were being bombarded 24/7 by propaganda about how Kind and Understanding Biden is, so i'm leery about blaming voters

Based on the suburbs that flipped Georgia you can 100% blame the voters. One of them that had a huge shift toward Biden is filled with million dollar lake houses. It was literally the stereotypical suburban person that cursed the world with Rapin' Joe because Brunch was disrupted.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Based on the suburbs that flipped Georgia you can 100% blame the voters. One of them that had a huge shift toward Biden is filled with million dollar lake houses. It was literally the stereotypical suburban person that cursed the world with Rapin' Joe because Brunch was disrupted.

that one's fair, i thought you were implying a d&d style "well the unwashed masses are just too stupid so good things are impossible" deal

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pompeo seems lovely enough to turn off the ~20% of "moderate" Republican voters that want a Romney/McCain, boring enough to turn off the ~50% of Republican voters that just want a bomb-throwing culture warrior, and not enough of a turbo-libertarian to draw the ~30% of Republican voters that get the Ron Paul Newsletter and have END THE FED T-shirts.

He doesn't really have a constituency.

Sounds like the Democrats would love him

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trump was the harm reduction candidate

Lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

that one's fair, i thought you were implying a d&d style "well the unwashed masses are just too stupid so good things are impossible" deal

No, the problem is obviously the system that only gives us these two choices.

My complaints are with the people that knowingly enable or justify this (D&D subset / Suburbanites / Brunch Crowd / Always Online Liberals / Politicians themselves) not with the average voter. Sure I'd prefer that 100,000,000 people who voted in 2020 not vote next election as a statement to how hosed and stupid everything is but you can't blame the average voter when their vote is worthless and the outcomes are being decided with people who are bought and paid for by corporations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

No, the problem is obviously the system that only gives us these two choices.

My complaints are with the people that knowingly enable or justify this (D&D subset / Suburbanites / Brunch Crowd / Always Online Liberals / Politicians themselves) not with the average voter. Sure I'd prefer that 100,000,000 people who voted in 2020 not vote next election as a statement to how hosed and stupid everything is but you can't blame the average voter when their vote is worthless and the outcomes are being decided with people who are bought and paid for by corporations.

:agreed:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

spacemang_spliff posted:

If I pay $1 in sales tax, that's a tax on me and not the company whose product I've bought lol

They think public transportatìon will just spring up. If you're not suggesting central planning and relocation, this tax just burdens people who have no alternative. And the thinking that it is so they can pay for their own rural infrastructure is nonsense because it is far more expensive than what can be paid in by rural folk.

Judakel has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

spacemang_spliff posted:

One purpose of a mileage tax is to reduce driving. Reducing driving reduces demand for fuel. Reduced demand for fuel hurts the profits of oil companies. Therefore if you're against the mileage tax, you're in favor of greater profits for oil companies.

It's dumb, but that's the logic.

Also, there's an assumption that the tax will fall most heavily on trucking companies, which lol if you think an $800 billion a year industry is going to let that happen.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nothus posted:

One purpose of a mileage tax is to reduce driving. Reducing driving reduces demand for fuel. Reduced demand for fuel hurts the profits of oil companies. Therefore if you're against the mileage tax, you're in favor of greater profits for oil companies.

Also, there's an assumption that the tax will fall most heavily on trucking companies, which lol if you think an $800 billion a year industry is going to let that happen.

I mean if you have to drive to go work your shift at wal-mart you're still going to have to drive there. I don't actually know anyone who drives for fun, except for motorcyclists on nice days but I don't think that's the target. I think most people drive out of necessity.

Judakel posted:

They think public transportatìon will just spring up. If you're not suggesting central planning and relocation, this tax just burdens people who have no alternative. And the thinking that it is so they can pay for their own rural infrastructure is nonsense because it is far more expensive than what can be paid in by rural folk.

Yeah, I don't see any proposals for light rail or anything. How's a bus going to serve a town of 250 people?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

spacemang_spliff posted:

I mean if you have to drive to go work your shift at wal-mart you're still going to have to drive there. I don't actually know anyone who drives for fun, except for motorcyclists on nice days but I don't think that's the target. I think most people drive out of necessity.

The reality is they don't give a poo poo about those people, and if you press them, they'll come up with some means-tested rebate scheme that also won't happen.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Trump was the harm reduction candidate

Lol

always was.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah, I don't see any proposals for light rail or anything. How's a bus going to serve a town of 250 people?

And on what roads

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I still like the idea that this nationwide surveillance mileage tax will really take it to those companies like uber, grubhub and lyft who are currently able to murder their own employees legally.

Not that this will just cut driver profits while they all raise rates blaming the tax and people get used to higher prices while the companies draw in billions and the drivers pay millions in road taxes we will mis-spend anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1376044707789205506?s=19

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

Gas is what economists call an "inelastic good" meaning that demand doesn't actually change that much regardless of other factors like price. You aren't going to stop going to work or cancel your weekend camping trip because gas is $4/gallon this week. You just eat the cost and move on with your life. This is literally just a way to squeeze money out of normal people to pay for the bill because God forbid we make the wealthy/businesses who profit from the roads do so.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1376242984224759808?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also Hillary warned us

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's Her Turn!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1376246228044898313?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Gas is what economists call an "inelastic good" meaning that demand doesn't actually change that much regardless of other factors like price. You aren't going to stop going to work or cancel your weekend camping trip because gas is $4/gallon this week. You just eat the cost and move on with your life. This is literally just a way to squeeze money out of normal people to pay for the bill because God forbid we make the wealthy/businesses who profit from the roads do so.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1376245872472821766?s=20

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i look forward to pure chaos when the moratoriums expire.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wow, truly a brilliant legal mind. My dumb rear end thought after they gutted it that racism and voter suppression would be gone for good.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I really think back to back losses would have maybe made some people start waking up to the fact that democrats are just as bad, if not worse than republicans and that if our power structure is going to smother any third party and demand there only be two then massive change to what is even considered a democrat needs to happen. Most people are hopeless but a non-zero amount of people might have used Trump winning again as motivation to push for real change and progress.

Instead we got tens of thousands of suburbanites upset about mask laws punishing Trump and justifying everything the democrat party thought was true. 2016 was stolen by Russia! No need to change things! People prefer the rapist throwing children into cages and destroying the black community because he is the platonic ideal of a politician! Back to normal! At least he isn't orange man! Only possible outcome! Better Than Nothing!!

Right at a pivotal moment when we are facing down climate apocalypse and world on the verge of meltdown in our lifetimes enough voters decided they wanted to live in the 1990s that we set the clock back 30 years to West Wing style bullshit and wastes of time while every Biden voter cheers on the fact that he is doing poo poo objectively worse than Trump but that the important thing is that he is not Trump. Justifying, excusing, empowering and enabling Democrats in 2020 is going to turn out to be one of the worst things to ever happen to the world.

I'd say the complete collapse of the US is actually very good for the world

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

29 years in congress and she got a 1 year tax credit that the IRS won't be able to pay out until Q3 or Q4

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/child-tax-credit-irs-chief-warns-start-of-child-tax-credit-payments-may-be-delayed/ar-BB1eL5Hg

She's my Senator and she's a waste of space.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taffer posted:

That AOC interview was a real nail in the coffin for something that had been a long time coming for me. I gave well over $1000 to various campaigns in 2020 between Bernie and Omar and other "progressives", and now I am never, ever going to give a single dollar or vote to a dem ever again. I've already crack-pinged a couple people I know with it and I'm going to continue to remind everyone I know of how worthless they are. There is no reforming this worthless garbage.

can't wait to watch the dems eat total poo poo in 2022 after completely loving up their mandate during a crisis when they have absolute power, AGAIN.

I think that there's a conflict where the sort of person to go into high-level politics like that is generally going to be the sort of person who leans towards optimism (usually because such people will have had pretty privileged lives themselves), and that's a huge problem because the Democratic Party's whole "gimmick" is just trying to spin everything they do as good (or at least the best thing reasonably possible). And, as we also saw in the AOC interview, this often leads to such people reacting with hostility to the demands of the left.

Basically, you need both "the correct goals" and "a correct understanding of our society/government," and these people always lack at least the latter.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1376157459501436932?s=20

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I wonder if scalia laughed about what a sucker rbg was

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

readingatwork posted:

this is also one of the reasons a carbon tax is the dumbest poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Yeah, I don't think the dems eating poo poo is a guarantee either. I have no idea what will happen, but recent dem behavior has rid me of the idea that 22/24 will be a red wave.

Even with Trump backlash Biden barely won. 22 is virtually certain to have Republicans make gains; the only question is how big those gains will be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I'd say the complete collapse of the US is actually very good for the world

depends entirely on what comes next.

Biden being our Marcus Octavius wouldn’t portend well for the rest of the world

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Too bad she didn't anticipate dying of a cancer-COVID-old age voltron when she went to officiate the maskless wedding for her family friend

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the 9/9/9 flat tax is the communist vanguard policy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

You don't even have to go to rural areas to find people who'd be hurt by an expanded gas tax. Plenty of low wage jobs in my urban area are staffed by people who live an hour away by car. These aren't well off white people in exurbs either, but Black and Latino workers who relocated to cheaper areas so they can afford decent housing. Those areas often lack in decent public transit as well. Poor white people do this too but libs write them off immediately because their race must mean they can't be poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ovenmaster posted:

Watching the Leftovers (brilliant show by the way) and seeing how the Guilty Remnant operated makes me think that perhaps a path towards the solution of our plight is not to agitate against the corporations (because they are too powerful and entrenched to care) but the workers, because while they live a dystopian existence, they want to distract themselves from it and just try to live whatever life they can. In other words they are asleep, and the biggest obstacle in changing the political landscape at all is to get them to wake the gently caress up. They don’t need suggestions of unionizing or marching for $15 min wage or solidarity or all this other bullshit that will get throttled in the crib, they need to be reminded that they’re slaves and their lives are worthless, as relentlessly and obnoxiously as possible. Because deep down they know things are hosed, and if they have to confront that then maybe it will spark something.

change doesn't happen when people are beat down, it happens when they realize they have the power and possibility to create change.