Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

I literally have no idea but they have a bazillion injuries every year. I doubt it's JUST bad luck every single year...

The Yankees have a policy of hiring guys with injury troubles and hoping to get playing time. That's why they carry a huge IL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Damnit I really wanted to see Yoked Nico mashing this season.

You will, in approx. 36 days if I recall correctly. Just enough time to work on his defense, play 5-6 games to open the delayed AAA schedule for Iowa and Voilà!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chamale posted:

The Yankees have a policy of hiring guys with injury troubles and hoping to get playing time. That's why they carry a huge IL.

Other than Stanton and Judge who you can say are injury prone at this point, it's been literally everyone on the team getting hurt for at least 3+ years running now though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

I assume you're referring to MLB in general if you mean because of service time fuckery

no i was referring to the cubs who do more of this nickel dime poo poo than any other big market team because in a year where they are telling the fans that the first half record determines how many beloved players they are going to sell off for nothing at the deadline they would rather go into the year without their best team to save a meaningless amount of money.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

At least the Cubs are putting Adbert on the opening day roster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1375903187526430723

Wow, Mills squeezed out of the rotation. IMO that's the right call, but I fully expected Mills to get the 5th starter nod because the Cubs FO just cannot contain their raging hardon for low-velo pitchability guys.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

quote:

The Braves made a slew of roster moves on Saturday, which included selecting the contracts of infielders Pablo Sandoval and Ehire Adrianza and reliever Nate Jones. The team also optioned pitcher Bryse Wilson, infielder Johan Camargo and catcher William Contreras to the alternate training site.
Camargo must be toast if he couldn't make that bench. A little surprised they wouldn't take Contreras as the backup for that month until the AAA season starts -- once it does they'd want him playing there every day for development but that scheduling quirk seemed to flip the calculation at the start of the season at least.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Pirates will absolutely pick Leiter over Rocker for the exact same reason the Cardinals fan base loves Harrison Bader and hated Dexter Fowler.

I don’t understand this one. What would you say are some egregiously racist moments from Ben Cherington’s career or in the Pirates draft history?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

finally some Baseball News that isn't depressing
https://twitter.com/HagemanParker/status/1375851438279114754?s=20

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Thanks a lot Florida

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1376189984827396096?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

My girlfriend said the place she's experienced the most racism has been Florida so yup this tracks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well Scott Kingery got optioned to the minors

That extension has been a disaster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t understand this one. What would you say are some egregiously racist moments from Ben Cherington’s career or in the Pirates draft history?

I’m saying that the Pirates’s fan base is made up of old racists and the front office knows this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that may be so, when has the current Pirates FO/ownership ever demonstrated they give a poo poo about their fans?

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
In case you were wondering who the Number 2 starter is for the Orioles, it was announced last night:

Matt Harvey.

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

that may be so, when has the current Pirates FO/ownership ever demonstrated they give a poo poo about their fans?

They give a poo poo about getting more money and Jack Leiter will sell more jerseys than Kumar Rocker will.

The Pirates are nothing if not a clothing line with a lovely baseball team attached.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Trying to get a handle on where the Red Sox are at the moment... Last time I was following them was around the end of the 2019 season - about the same time Mookie Betts got traded to the Dodgers, I happened to move across the country from Maine to a Los Angeles, and wound up staying in a house about 2 miles from Chavez Ravine - so for abbreviated 2020 season I followed the Dodgers and Mookie, which turned out to be a lot more fun than following the Red Sox for that abbreviated 2020 season would've been.

Anyway, now I'm living in Colorado again and going back to following the Red Sox for this season, but I gotta say.... am I out of touch, or does this team look especially, um.... spotty and mediocre? I mean... this could be a good team, I guess. But it feels like this 2021 team is gonna be really young, or am I wrong? This really, really looks like the mythical "rebuilding" year, I gotta say.

The starting rotation is what truly worries me, I mean who's the goddamn opening day starter? Eduardo Rodriguez is hurt and I guess would be the number 1 starter, but who even knows given that he hasn't pitched since 2019. So that leaves Eovaldi as our opening day starter, who's only ever managed to stay healthy and effective for an entire season like once or twice half a decade ago? And then I guess our #2 starter would be Martin Perez, he of the career 96 ERA+? :psyduck: The scary thing is those are the most reliable guys in the rotation, loving hell - after that it really drops off. How in hell does a team with the budget of the Red Sox wind up with such a tremendously lovely rotation, or am I missing something? Sale getting TJ surgery didn't much help, I guess we could have a chance at a real rotation in 2022, maybe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spanky69 posted:

In case you were wondering who the Number 2 starter is for the Orioles, it was announced last night:

Matt Harvey.

Remember when the Orioles were good, from like 2012-14? Seems like so long ago... :(

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
sure the team that has already made Ke'Bryan Hayes the face of the franchise to follow former face of the franchise Andrew McCutchen clearly fears having to market the talents of black players.

If they pick Leiter it’s because they think he’s the better pitcher. Take the absurd speculation about racist plots and shove them up your rear end.

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

sure the team that has already made Ke'Bryan Hayes the face of the franchise to follow former face of the franchise Andrew McCutchen clearly fears having to market the talents of black players.

If they pick Leiter it’s because they think he’s the better pitcher. Take the absurd speculation about racist plots and shove them up your rear end.

Yes, the fan base that goes to games in t-shirts that say “speak English” and deliberately mispronounce Spanish player names aren’t racist at all

All things being equal the front office will absolutely draft Leiter over Rocker because it’ll play better with the fans.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
You are being completely ridiculous.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, its great for Kingery

Apr 7, 2003

They’ll draft Leiter, mark my words and check back in July.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
and if they it’s because they think he’s the better pitcher. sorry to ruin your sanctimonious musing

Apr 7, 2003

Ben Cherington, former GM of the Red Sox, a team with a famously not-racist fan base,

Like I said, check back in July.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Impressive logical jumps at play here. This is a very powerful brain

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Contracts like that are so stupid. It puts the player and the team in an impossible situation if he struggles, and could literally ruin a prospect. Give em a year to establish themselves in the bigs before you start talking about arb buyouts, IMO.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Move the Pirates to Montreal imo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Move yourself off a building

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I actually asked a published writer who writes about baseball prospects as a job and they said the Rocker/Leiter decision for Pittsburgh will essentially come down to money and sign-ability so I'm gonna take their word for it instead of arguing about where ownership thinks the fanbase lands on the racism spectrum

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They give a poo poo about getting more money and Jack Leiter will sell more jerseys than Kumar Rocker will.

The Pirates are nothing if not a clothing line with a lovely baseball team attached.

I dunno man, a Rocker jersey seems like something racists would buy en masse

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 28, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Popete posted:

Wow, can't believe they actually are gonna try and do it. This has to be a slam dunk case for his service time fuckery case his lawyers should be working on right this second.

I'm super salty the one time the Mariners have an opportunity in the last twenty years to not ruin their premier hitting prospect again by promoting him too early they bungle it. He's had 21 games at AA and is barely able to drink, keeping him in the minors isn't a silly idea. But no.

Logan Gilbert has a much better case since he's older, played college ball, and has more games in the minors.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

If a team is seriously hurt by a Kingery like contract at 4 million a year contract them

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1376254481659232259?s=21

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm super salty the one time the Mariners have an opportunity in the last twenty years to not ruin their premier hitting prospect again by promoting him too early they bungle it. He's had 21 games at AA and is barely able to drink, keeping him in the minors isn't a silly idea. But no.

Logan Gilbert has a much better case since he's older, played college ball, and has more games in the minors.

I started to watch the Mariners late in the Dustin Ackley experience but it is funny to me that the only highlights I can remember from this can't miss infield hitting prospect were 'beard' and some cool looking catches in left field.

Apr 7, 2003

Gerblederp posted:

Move the Pirates to Montreal imo

The MLB will never let the Pirates move

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

If a team is seriously hurt by a Kingery like contract at 4 million a year contract them

I don't think anyone said it seriously hurt them.

Apr 7, 2003

I thought OOTP was supposed to be a realistic management sim

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

kaworu posted:

Anyway, now I'm living in Colorado again and going back to following the Red Sox for this season, but I gotta say.... am I out of touch, or does this team look especially, um.... spotty and mediocre?

Yeah this team is gonna be bad but not like, entertainingly bad. It would take many, many things breaking right to be competitive. Seems like the only sure bet on offense is Bogaerts and maybe Verdugo, although I suspect both Devers and JD could bounce back pretty well which would make for a thoroughly average offense. There are definitely a few new guys to be excited about, with guys like Jarren Duran and Jeter Downs likely to make their debuts at some point. Personally I'm looking forward to finding out if last year's Tanner Houck was as mirage-y as he seemed and whether or not Franchy Cordero is just a Wily Mo Pena who can actually play in the field. Even with the offense firing on all cylinders tho, the pitching staff is pretty much unsalvagable so I hope we just end up trading off spare pieces at the deadline because Chaim seems at least halfway decent at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are hoping that this is the year that by my estimate 12 year veteran dillon maples finally figures out how to throw a strike.