Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

tango alpha delta posted:

ok, let's dance i guess; i'm retired, own my home and my vehicles, have absolutely no debt and make a hell of a lot more than $300 a month in passive income without having anything at all to do with cryptocurrency.

congratulations on being in a better financial situation than me or ~90% of the country. If I live to see a situation where I can retire before my health problems push me into disability that will be an unexpected success.

The adults are the ones who tell people they don't like or believe are acting in an immoral way to shut the gently caress up, is that right? Interesting. Anyway, I'm done here -- I may be an immoral polluter for taking some free money while it's easy, but I don't presently actually have very strong feelings about crypto besides "it's loving stupid, also currently pays power bill", so I'm going to see myself out before I develop any. I might be a dick, but y'all crazy.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

"im responsible with my money", i tell myself as i put money in shitcoin and then genuinely forget about it for like a week

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

congratulations on being in a better financial situation than me or ~90% of the country. If I live to see a situation where I can retire before my health problems push me into disability that will be an unexpected success.

The adults are the ones who tell people they don't like or believe are acting in an immoral way to shut the gently caress up, is that right? Interesting.

you are correct that i don't like you because you are selfish and inconsiderate, which are both immoral behaviors. now shut up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitcoin: Kramering in to let the world know you are an idiot

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

If I live to see a situation where I can retire before my health problems push me into disability that will be an unexpected success.
It's 85° in Los Angeles today so keep mining and retirement won't be a worry for anyone! :suicide: :supaburn:

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!

own my home and my vehicles, have absolutely no debt and make a hell of a lot more than $300 a month in passive income

disgusting

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's up in bitcoin land

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Maybe some of those trafficked women will help depressed wealthy people?

Who can tell if this is all good or bad anyway?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can they get me a 3060ti though

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

you are correct that i don't like you because you are selfish and inconsiderate, which are both immoral behaviors. now shut up.

Step out of your privilege tower some time. People often have to do selfish and inconsiderate things to make ends.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fist posted:

Step out of your privilege tower some time. People often have to do selfish and inconsiderate things to make ends.

lol, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about; i'm under no obligation to justify my circumstances to you.

bitcoin is a decentralized, automated Ponzi scheme.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 28, 2021

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Passive income is stealing from the poor, against the wall with you

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

wyoak posted:

i grew up in subsidized housing and, up until recently, worked for a living since i was eleven years old; i've got a lot of experience being poor and am extremely surprised that i've actually made it this far.

bitcoin is an automated, decentralized Ponzi scheme.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

you could just say "butt coin". somebody ought to.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I like how the justification for bitcoin always ends up deteriorating to "well I have a lot of monopoly money so therefore"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
wheres that guy who says "butt coin" itt. somebody let him know he's needed

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

i grew up in subsidized housing and, up until recently, worked for a living since i was eleven years old; i've got a lot of experience being poor and am extremely surprised that i've actually made it this far.

Pretty defensive there Elon

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

wyoak posted:

How else are old people who can't work anymore supposed to afford food? Even in full communism there will be currency/food stamps for convenience purposes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You are right that you can't beat thermodynamics, and that 300w of electricity is going to produce the same amount of heat in a GPU or a space heater, and if it's actively being vented into a closed space with a fan, it's going to warm up that closed space.

You can get more than 300w worth of heating out of 300w of electricity if you use a heat pump.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Turns out you can’t permaban seraph any more than you can permaban AIDS, or butt cancer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Coiners tend to huff their own farts 24/7 so I don't see why they need any other heat source.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

hey, guys, have you heard Seraph's TED talk?

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/seraphs-ted-talk

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

wyoak posted:

Pretty defensive there Elon

lol, i'm posting between managing SpaceX and yelling at my employees on the Tesla factory floor.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

You can get more than 300w worth of heating out of 300w of electricity if you use a heat pump.

Uh, no, that would violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics because you would then be able to theoretically create free energy by using a highly efficient heat engine to generate > 300w of electricity.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Found posted in the schadenfreude thread:

https://twitter.com/thatkimparker/status/1375980331740790788

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Say you set up a heat pump that transfers 100w of heat from A to B. Running this heat pump costs 300w of electricity.
You locate the functioning parts in A.
A is now being heated by 400w, and B is being cooled by 100w. From the perspective of A this is a 133% efficient heater.

You could use the heat differential to cool A and heat B and recover maybe 25w of electricity. You would still need a large input of low-entropy energy to keep running.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

lol, i'm posting between managing SpaceX and yelling at my employees on the Tesla factory floor.

May I have some of your infamous pocket blood emeralds, Elon sir?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

May I have some of your infamous pocket blood emeralds, Elon sir?

i sold a couple to Tiffany's and man, you wouldn't BELIEVE how much they marked those emeralds up.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
NFTs had a couple of beautiful wild west weeks, and now it’s pretty much like the rest of the art market: a good name sells. People getting paid for digital art in the year 2021 shouldn’t be very surprising.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Say you set up a heat pump that transfers 100w of heat from A to B. Running this heat pump costs 300w of electricity.
You locate the functioning parts in A.
A is now being heated by 400w, and B is being cooled by 100w. From the perspective of A this is a 133% efficient heater.

You could use the heat differential to cool A and heat B and recover maybe 25w of electricity. You would still need a large input of low-entropy energy to keep running.

Ok I think I got it, in B there are air molecules that are flying around at different speeds, so the heat pump selectively filters the faster, hotter air molecules from B and pumps it into A, increasing the heat in A. That is how it can heat A with more power than is input into the system, because the energy already in B is being transferred into A.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

rear end cobra posted:

NFTs had a couple of beautiful wild west weeks, and now it’s pretty much like the rest of the art market: a good name sells. People getting paid for digital art in the year 2021 shouldn’t be very surprising.
What do you think the NFT actually does? Because if you think it involves transacting art, I've got an NFT for a landmark bridge I can offer.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

kw0134 posted:

What do you think the NFT actually does? Because if you think it involves transacting art, I've got an NFT for a landmark bridge I can offer.

hell, I can do even better: i'll sell you an NFT for THIS actual post. my asking price is merely 10 million american dollars; a bargain to be sure!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

human garbage bag posted:

Ok I think I got it, in B there are air molecules that are flying around at different speeds, so the heat pump selectively filters the faster, hotter air molecules from B and pumps it into A, increasing the heat in A. That is how it can heat A with more power than is input into the system, because the energy already in B is being transferred into A.

Most heat pumps are refrigerative. You absorb heat at one location by boiling the refrigerant, physically move it as a gas to another location, then condense it and dump the heat out again.
Because you're pushing entropy uphill by creating a temperature differential you need electricity in to make it happen. The electricity becomes heat, which gets dumped at the same place as the rest of the heat.

Depending on which way the motor is running you either heat or cool your house. This is a modern air conditioner, it can do both.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Say I take as US$100 bill and hash the serial number into an NFT. I'll give you a 10% discount for my first customer of the day and only charge $90 for the NFT. Great deal, right?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

rear end cobra posted:

Quoting my own post from the schadenfreude thread:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The best explanation I've seen for NFTs is that they are registry scams, like paying to have a star named after you. It's not official, and the only thing you get a certificate from the company claiming the star is named after you, and it holds no weight whatsoever. Several companies run this scam, and it's been chugging along for years. NFTs appear to be the same thing only with more crypto catchphrases.

A bit on the scam from the actual official organization that names stars:

https://www.iau.org/public/themes/buying_star_names/

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

kw0134 posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Quoting my own post from the schadenfreude thread:

Very clever, but what is the art? One specific collection of chemicals on one specific canvas? The expression that the artist says is the work? An entry on the blockchain?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
NFTs are a hash value that links a text file that links an URL. I don't think that's widely considered "art". Although buying a link that's probably going to 404 soon could be considered "art"

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

hell, I can do even better: i'll sell you an NFT for THIS actual post. my asking price is merely 10 million american dollars; a bargain to be sure!

Bwahahahaha that was a quick av purchase

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

lol, holy poo poo i have a new AV!

i'll sell you an NFT for it!

e: lol, apparently paying off a 2013 Toyota Sienna and the mortgage for a 1000 square foot bungalow makes me super wealthy! suck it, haters!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Fame Douglas posted:

NFTs are a hash value that links a text file that links an URL. I don't think that's widely considered "art". Although buying a link that's probably going to 404 soon could be considered "art"

It’s widely enough considered art when issued through a trusted marketplace by a trusted artist :shrug: