Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's only been two hundred years.

"Economists and Accountants sometimes invoke the true name of the Central Banker: HAMILTON."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah 200 years is nothing on a cultural scale, even in a world without modern record keeping. Like how there are people alive today who's grandparents were slaves in America, and the civil war was 160 years ago. Depending on lifespan, it's conceivable that there could be people alive with secondhand knowledge of things that happened 200 years ago.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
To be fair a lot was forgotten in the star wars universe apparently in one generation. And that's the level of world building Mookie can ingest at best let alone spit up on the page

Also hurray white savior coming back.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
So ridiculous that this insufferable white woman has been elevated to sainthood in orc culture. Luna was a 30 year old that worked at a university.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also how is "Orkling" some kind of caste system classification when it's literally a description of their species

Fister Roboto posted:

did he literally just learn to read another language by glancing at a book

Yep

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
hhe found the key item: Orcish Primer [A-Z]

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Language Barrier

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
How is reading about the history of Maltak helping him understand the dream theory books?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Truth is Mookie doesn't give a poo poo about the dream magic or the central plot and does whatever currently has his interest week to week. Sometimes nothing does and we get a week of Snout sleeping.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Again, and I know this is such a minor point in comparison to the general awfulness in the comic, but books do not look like that. I do not look at that and think those are book pages. Charitably they might be blurbs written on a dust jacket or something. How lazy do you need to be to not just write a couple extra sentences above and below what you want the reader to pay attention to, then cut the panel in such a way as it looks like your character is actually reading something?

I've been following this wreck from the start, so it's a rhetorical question obviously.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe it's just me reading too much into it, but knowing that Luna gave up her ability to get pregnant to save Maltak and it getting called the Great Rebirth makes the text on the upper-left, "Mountains rose where once the land was flat, rivers returned and hills rolled across the plains once more" sound oddly sexual.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I love the changes in font size to denote important words, like LAKE AROA and LUNA, because apparently Mookie has literally never opened a book once in his life, or else has no eye for design or style at all to make things seem authentic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also kind of laughing at how much of this is following in the same footsteps as Warcraft’s orcs: a bunch of clans that slowly bled together into a single organization, whose land suffered from a terrible curse (albeit one that was mostly self-inflicted), and then they went through a cultural renaissance to learn how to use their nature magic again.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Hmm, looking back I think the change in how Chandak magic worked actually occurred at the end of the March Across Maltak arc... which mean that was before Dominic did any of his bullshit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

I love the changes in font size to denote important words, like LAKE AROA and LUNA, because apparently Mookie has literally never opened a book once in his life, or else has no eye for design or style at all to make things seem authentic.

Bit late but this sounds like a comic book thing, and we know comics are the only books he talks about on Twitter (I think)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Billy Gnosis posted:

To be fair a lot was forgotten in the star wars universe apparently in one generation. And that's the level of world building Mookie can ingest at best let alone spit up on the page

Also hurray white savior coming back.

I could always forgive that aspect of Star Wars because there were less than 20,000 Jedi in a galaxy of trillions and the Empire ran a huge disinformation campaign to erase/condemn their memory. Two hundred years with relatively good book keeping in Deeganworld feels like all of this should be known quantities though.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Vanderdeath posted:

I could always forgive that aspect of Star Wars because there were less than 20,000 Jedi in a galaxy of trillions and the Empire ran a huge disinformation campaign to erase/condemn their memory. Two hundred years with relatively good book keeping in Deeganworld feels like all of this should be known quantities though.

And that was a retcon. Like, ok, it mentions that Obiwan fought in the clone wars, but all of that was left intetionally vague in the original trilogy. As far as we knew then, the jedi were an order of ascetic warrior monks who were already largely gone by the time they were wiped out entirely, instead of essentially psychic commandoes for the galactic government. It janks a bit, but like, ehh, whatever, that's the nature of storytelling. The Force went from being a fringe belief to a bedrock fact just accepted by people everywhere. But like you said, there are easy ways to accept it, and I'm always willing to take the context of how a story was shaped into consideration when I'm judging "inconsistencies".

Here, this is an explicit sequel to something that occured in a setting with a modern press, during what appears to be a golden age of Maltak, including an extensive (?) publishing industry. Magic also a known, tangible force in their world, so talking about a lost golden age makes a lot less sense, given its continued prevalence. Also, Snout came here looking for a book in the magical interlibrary network that was supposedly authored by Dominic himself. Apparently he didn't bother getting it (since presumably it would not be in orkish), but that was his whole reason for coming to Maltak. So tangible contempary written accounts exist!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This would be like if George Washington was some mythic figure we spoke about as if we weren't sure he even existed.

Like I know Mookie wants to act like Dominic was just some quiet backwater seer to happened to just silently save the world every 5 minutes but for starters he was like, the son of two of the most powerful and influential people in the world.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zerilan posted:

This would be like if George Washington was some mythic figure we spoke about as if we weren't sure he even existed.

Like I know Mookie wants to act like Dominic was just some quiet backwater seer to happened to just silently save the world every 5 minutes but for starters he was like, the son of two of the most powerful and influential people in the world.

Yeah, the mystery has shifted from "known historical Dominic Deegan did something unknown in the dream realm, that no one was around for, and we are trying to figure out what happened", which is like an amelia earhart level historical mystery, except a bit more consequential, to something closer to the Illiad in terms of how people are treating it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It amazes me how Mookie seems to think that Dominic screwing with the entire fabric of magic to make it "gentler" is supposed to be read as this heroic last act, and not Dominic throwing a huge temper tantrum and taking away everyone's toys so he can remain the specialest boy ever. I can only imagine how much damage it inflicted in the world, like people suddenly no longer being able to effectively heal injuries, or defend themselves, or the many people's livelihoods being destroyed because their magic didn't work anymore.

It'd never happen, but it would be funny if Dominic neutering magic put his mom out of a job.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hoo boy, I spied ahead to the next two strips and let me say, you people waiting for something to happen are in for a treat.

Mookie, you've done it again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebufo posted:

I mean, this week gave us MommyMilkers420 on Questionable Content and Tom Bomba-DILF on Something Positive. How bad can it be?

Very bad, I can only hope it's not another rape arc.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

Hoo boy, I spied ahead to the next two strips and let me say, you people waiting for something to happen are in for a treat.

Is he going to be walking in landscapes again? Recapping the same information again?

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

super sweet best pal posted:

Is he going to be walking in landscapes again? Recapping the same information again?

Snout goes to sleep and then wakes up again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How do you peek ahead again? Putting April into the address bar isn't working.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Beelzebufo posted:

Hm, must be something annoying, pointless, and dumb, but new.

I guess corpsewife kisses Snout on the mouth making inkwich jealous.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kavak posted:

How do you peek ahead again? Putting April into the address bar isn't working.

if the month changeover happens during a week, he doesn't switch the folder. So leave the 3, but update the date and number on the image name.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RandomPauI posted:

I mean, this week gave us MommyMilkers420 on Questionable Content and Tom Bomba-DILF on Something Positive. How bad can it be?

Very bad, I can only hope it's not another rape arc.

What are those abo-

Actually, no. I don't need to know.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Beelzebufo posted:

good loving god

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm having trouble getting the time travel to work. Maybe we should just post them in spoilers instead of talking around them?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm having trouble getting the time travel to work. Maybe we should just post them in spoilers instead of talking around them?

Why not. Rip that goddamn bandage right off.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

first i want you to imagine the worst new character and species mookie could possibly create

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm imagining something like the Pygmies in WoW but more racist?
Although I'm pretty sure at that point it would have to just be a straight up literal golliwog.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Just post.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'm sorry is mookie about to turn this story into one about motherfucking orc supremacy????

I don't really know why I'm surprised, but I still am

links for folk who can't time travel for some reason
March 31:
https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/3477_20210331.jpg
april 2:
https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/3478_20210402.jpg

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I will inline one for now

the article writer is using some hilariously judgey language. pretends like it's a dry telling of facts then just quickly has "outdated" in there for the lil push into which side you're meant to root for

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Verde, the Callanian botanical research base.

What is an erde?

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Mx. posted:

the article writer is using some hilariously judgey language. pretends like it's a dry telling of facts then just quickly has "outdated" in there for the lil push into which side you're meant to root for

Especially funny considering they use the words "newfound unity", implying that the rise of anti-Callanian sentiment happened very quickly after Maltak was revitalized and everything would still be fresh in everyone's minds.

It's an (unintentional) mirror of the people who believe racism ended after the height of the Civil Rights Movement, and how any anti-white sentiment in the present day is uncalled for and based on events that happened "long ago".

Stahlgeist fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 30, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Stahlgeist posted:

Especially funny considering they use the words "newfound unity", implying that the rise of anti-Callanian sentiment happened very quickly after Maltak was revitalized and everything would still be fresh in everyone's minds.

It's an (unintentional) mirror of the people who believe racism ended after the height of the Civil Rights Movement, and how any anti-white sentiment in the present day is uncalled for and based on events that happened "long ago".

ah, of course, the orcs were warring savages before luna white savior'd them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I promise I won't spill the beans like that every week, but Mookie stumbling into once again having part of an oppressed minority group in his setting be "the bad ones" who won't instantly forgive the pseudo-european colonizers is perfect. And even beyond that, it's not like this is just a plot-point for maybe exploring how forgiveness could happen; instead it's framed (maybe unintentionally?) like a polemic. It's not just that Sekuat Mut differ from other orcs, it's that the narrative instantly lets you know that they are the backward and wrong ones.

Mookie was called a Yacubian by a street preacher once and it has stayed with him ever since.