Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

DLC Inc posted:

iirc don't people from the PC usually have similar injuries due to a predilection towards working out certain types of your body a certain way? I can't remember the specifics of this but I've heard it a bunch

I think they make everyone do the same drills and poo poo, which is why Braun's knees were shot before he was even called up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've never subbed to a Patreon so fast

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mob posted:

I think they make everyone do the same drills and poo poo, which is why Braun's knees were shot before he was even called up.

Everything I've read about the Perfomance Centre makes it sound like a factory that tried to die-stamp sports entertainers out of whatever raw material gets fed in. Doesn't matter if it's a 20 year veteran or a football player who watched his first wrestling match this morning, it's the same process.

Which just fundamentally isn't how training people to be athletic performers works.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bryan's argument with Lance about the Rosa/Baker match was painful to listen to.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Who's beating the poo poo out of trainees now that Demott and Holly are gone

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Orange Carlisle posted:

Who's beating the poo poo out of trainees now that Demott and Holly are gone

SDR was around for the DeMott era so maybe her!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

MassRafTer posted:

SDR was around for the DeMott era so maybe her!

Actually, Norman Smiley does all the beating but no one gives him the credit

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Raeg posted:

Actually, Norman Smiley does all the beating but no one gives him the credit

y'know I've listened to a ton of wrestler interviews and like 90 percent of the guys that have been to the PC gush about Norman and what a tremendous help he was. A lot of them will mention Regal and Brookside

but I don't remember hearing a single person say anything about Matt Bloom. Positive or negative. sort of weird for a head trainer

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The head trainer being an office guy who spends most of his time desperately negotiating his job's existence with the accountants and doing none of the training checks out.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

karmicknight posted:

The head trainer being an office guy who spends most of his time desperately negotiating his job's existence with the accountants and doing none of the training checks out.

Wasn't there a story that Bloom got the head trainer position after DeMott was fired because he was the only other coach that knew how to make Excel spreadsheets?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

y'know I've listened to a ton of wrestler interviews and like 90 percent of the guys that have been to the PC gush about Norman and what a tremendous help he was. A lot of them will mention Regal and Brookside

but I don't remember hearing a single person say anything about Matt Bloom. Positive or negative. sort of weird for a head trainer

I thought I remembered people talking about Matt Bloom being a good trainer, Juice Robinson maybe? Or at least being a good dude.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I thought I remembered people talking about Matt Bloom being a good trainer, Juice Robinson maybe? Or at least being a good dude.

Matt Bloom got Juice into the New Japan dojo, bringing the grand total of stars he's made to 1.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

karmicknight posted:

Isn't this how Shawn Michaels ran his school?

Like he was credited with training Bryan Danielson but almost nobody who was there at the time saw him actually doing anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Isn't this how Shawn Michaels ran his school?

Like he was credited with training Bryan Danielson but almost nobody who was there at the time saw him actually doing anything.

He was active when Bryan was there. After the first class he was more hands off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Bryan and Kendrick were actually trained by Michaels. Most other students weren't.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Shawn also leveraged his name to get his guys into developmental. Maybe Rudy Boy or Regal deserve more trainer credit from Bryan but Shawn earned that tuition money.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Love the story where Shawn, nursing a still broken back, shows the boys how to do a proper back body drop sell. Right as he was doing it his mother walked into the gym and started berating Shawn in front of the students.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

There he is!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's always interesting to hear people talk about their training school experiences. Foley learned a lot from Dominic DeNucci. Jericho learned from whomever the Not Actually The Hart Brothers got to train people at their school, also guided by Stu Hart's notes. According to HHH (in Chyna's book), Killer Kowalski mostly slept in his office and everybody learned things via osmosis. I wonder what it was like for people who went to, say, the Wild Samoans or Harley's schools.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's always interesting to hear people talk about their training school experiences. Foley learned a lot from Dominic DeNucci. Jericho learned from whomever the Not Actually The Hart Brothers got to train people at their school, also guided by Stu Hart's notes. According to HHH (in Chyna's book), Killer Kowalski mostly slept in his office and everybody learned things via osmosis. I wonder what it was like for people who went to, say, the Wild Samoans or Harley's schools.

Harley definitely would have had a guy to do inring stuff, since his back problems were really bad (I think he'd broken it at one point?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think Harley though used his connections/networking to regularly get his guys try-outs or matches, particularly in Japan? I seem to remember that being a thing where every year Harley's school would put on some kind of exhibition show for at least a couple of promotions' recruitment guys?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think Harley though used his connections/networking to regularly get his guys try-outs or matches, particularly in Japan? I seem to remember that being a thing where every year Harley's school would put on some kind of exhibition show for at least a couple of promotions' recruitment guys?

Yeah, NOAH had his guys do tours. I think he was involved in getting Morishima to the US

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Harley's promotion was also the very first place in America Kenta Kobashi worked; when he came over for the ROH show he stopped off in Bumfuck, Missouri to face Wade Chism. Even if Trevor Murdoch and Ted Dibiase are probably the standout Harley trainers.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The original Shawn Michaels class has always been insistent that he was in there doing drills, workouts, etc. with them. But it's also clear that Rudy Boy Gonzalez was heavily involved, as both the original class and the later students all have Rudy Boy's distinct footwork style in the ring.

Harley Race usually had a head instructor working for him, but I always got the impression that he was as involved as he could possibly be with his physical condition taken into consideration. A lot of his earlier students throw the distinct Harley Race punch, for example.

In general, it varies by the school.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The HHH one explains a lot about WWE's training philosophy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I liked Lance's takes on F4D on the Britt and QT promos from Dynamite.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think you can charitably say that bumps could also be interpreted as a term for getting hit in storyline, but yea, with the Baker segment AEW and Bryan with his attempt at a counter argument seemed out to lunch.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Seams posted:

Incessant Excess posted:

I think you can charitably say that bumps could also be interpreted as a term for getting hit in storyline, but yea, with the Baker segment AEW and Bryan with his attempt at a counter argument seemed out to lunch.

I think they both missed the point that they felt they needed to reestablish Britt as a heel following positive responses online; and understated that yes AEW pushed the woman they have signed and are building more around slightly more than the outsider.

It is weird though in that the outsider won, and since Thunder lost to Shida already where does she take this momentum to?

In other podcast news, I listened to the Serena Deeb unrestricted podcast, and boy there's some surprises in there. Like that before the Thunder match on Dynamite, her last match was in the Mae Young classic in 2017, and she had only 2 weeks notice.

I thought she'd been an NWA mainstay, she's literally done one match with NWAcand won the title.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wazzu posted:

It is weird though in that the outsider won, and since Thunder lost to Shida already where does she take this momentum to?

She would be a good roadblock for Jade. She's tough and she could take the loss to Jade without hurting her too bad. I don't think she's good enough to carry Jade to a long match but she has all the other qualities you'd want in someone to help build your big tough woman. Jade needs a good face to work with and I think you'd want to keep a Riho match with her off the table for a bit. Big Swole is a possibility for Jade but I think you need someone with a little more credibility and they really didn't do a good job following up Swole's dentist office fight with Britt; due in part to Swole's ailments but still.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

davidbix posted:

The original Shawn Michaels class has always been insistent that he was in there doing drills, workouts, etc. with them. But it's also clear that Rudy Boy Gonzalez was heavily involved, as both the original class and the later students all have Rudy Boy's distinct footwork style in the ring.

Harley Race usually had a head instructor working for him, but I always got the impression that he was as involved as he could possibly be with his physical condition taken into consideration. A lot of his earlier students throw the distinct Harley Race punch, for example.

In general, it varies by the school.

I was in a few classes after Danielson and Rudy Boy did 99% of it. Shawn would come in every other week or so for a little while. What's sad is that when he came in and helped train we all got it so quickly. Like what would take Rudy Boy 3 days to poorly teach us, Shawn could get us better within minutes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I was in a few classes after Danielson and Rudy Boy did 99% of it. Shawn would come in every other week or so for a little while. What's sad is that when he came in and helped train we all got it so quickly. Like what would take Rudy Boy 3 days to poorly teach us, Shawn could get us better within minutes.

That's really interesting, because I think it was said that Shawn wasn't going to be good as an agent for NXT because so much of it comes naturally to him and he has trouble articulating why you'd do X at Y time.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Seams posted:

i've heard very few Lance takes on AEW that I didn't agree with. He's sort of old-school minded but in the "i want my wrestling to make sense and be logically consistent" sense instead of whatever diarrhea people like Corny and Al Snow let out of their mouths. And his criticism is really constructive, he doesn't just say he doesn't like something, he explains why in detail and also talks about things he thinks they do well

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I thought lances point was very stupid. I like Lance a lot, but dude come on. Britt was getting over as kind of a face so they put a stop to it and re established her as a heel. I think it’s really that lance thinks the Internet doesn’t play into the main product. Which it absolutely does.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gaz-L posted:

That's really interesting, because I think it was said that Shawn wasn't going to be good as an agent for NXT because so much of it comes naturally to him and he has trouble articulating why you'd do X at Y time.

I can only go from my own experience but teaching us very basic stuff like bodyslams he was really good at. Like under Rudy Boy we were dropping each other on our heads, but Shawn came in and I picked him up for a slam (with the explicit warning I was not going to slam him) and the entire class figured out how to do it. A very simple move but the way he worked it out for us was very helpful.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dave's review of the Dan Rodimer commercial is loving incredible.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hunnert car pileup posted:

Dave's review of the Dan Rodimer commercial is loving incredible.

The commercial itself is great too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDxk66d4xh4

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the guy was running for office in nevada less than a year ago lmfao

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Low Desert Punk posted:

i've heard very few Lance takes on AEW that I didn't agree with. He's sort of old-school minded but in the "i want my wrestling to make sense and be logically consistent" sense instead of whatever diarrhea people like Corny and Al Snow let out of their mouths. And his criticism is really constructive, he doesn't just say he doesn't like something, he explains why in detail and also talks about things he thinks they do well

Lance's mindset on wanting his wrestling to be logically consistent is trapped in dinosaur times though. Who had all the buzz coming out of that match? Was it Thunder Rosa? Is Thunder Rosa who AEW fans were talking about? Is it Thunder Rosa who obviously got the bigger rub from the match? No, it was Britt Baker, any idiot could see that after spending ten minutes looking at reactions. AEW the company putting their energy and tv time and money behind the person who got the bigger response from the audience after the match is ENTIRELY logically consistent.

The argument that it makes wins and losses not matter is nonsense. Does UFC put big money and content behind every person who wins a match, or even wins a championship? Has any fight promotion ever worked that way? Of course not, and Lance KNOWS that. He thinks that good wrestling booking means that the show's storylines exist in completely vacuum-sealed bottle and that is NOT good wrestling booking.

Alvarez was 100% right to bring up Hell In The Cell. Who remembers what the Undertaker did the night after the cell match? Nobody. How did the fans react to Foley coming back the next night and doing nothing important after a star-making performance that primed millions of people for a babyface turn? Negatively. Which is why a couple weeks later came the only thing anyone remembers about the fallout of Hell In The Cell, the Foley Interviews that launched his face turn.

Is Lance really going to sit there and tell me that was better booking? To have Foley do nothing because he lost and have nobody care about what the guy who won did, just because it "makes sense," that the winner do a thing and the loser not because THAT is what makes wins and losses matter? Get the gently caress out of here. The good booking was when the company capitalized on what the fans came out of the match wanting to see, and the fact that they WAITED in favor of "logic," was the bad booking.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

It should probably also be noted that it was a lights out match and therefore would not count on their win-loss record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Lance's mindset on wanting his wrestling to be logically consistent is trapped in dinosaur times though. Who had all the buzz coming out of that match? Was it Thunder Rosa? Is Thunder Rosa who AEW fans were talking about? Is it Thunder Rosa who obviously got the bigger rub from the match? No, it was Britt Baker, any idiot could see that after spending ten minutes looking at reactions. AEW the company putting their energy and tv time and money behind the person who got the bigger response from the audience after the match is ENTIRELY logically consistent.

The argument that it makes wins and losses not matter is nonsense. Does UFC put big money and content behind every person who wins a match, or even wins a championship? Has any fight promotion ever worked that way? Of course not, and Lance KNOWS that. He thinks that good wrestling booking means that the show's storylines exist in completely vacuum-sealed bottle and that is NOT good wrestling booking.

Alvarez was 100% right to bring up Hell In The Cell. Who remembers what the Undertaker did the night after the cell match? Nobody. How did the fans react to Foley coming back the next night and doing nothing important after a star-making performance that primed millions of people for a babyface turn? Negatively. Which is why a couple weeks later came the only thing anyone remembers about the fallout of Hell In The Cell, the Foley Interviews that launched his face turn.

Is Lance really going to sit there and tell me that was better booking? To have Foley do nothing because he lost and have nobody care about what the guy who won did, just because it "makes sense," that the winner do a thing and the loser not because THAT is what makes wins and losses matter? Get the gently caress out of here. The good booking was when the company capitalized on what the fans came out of the match wanting to see, and the fact that they WAITED in favor of "logic," was the bad booking.

This is where I'm at. Everyone after that match was wondering what was next for Britt because that was the most interesting story coming out of it. The only way it would've made sense for Britt to win that feud was if they weren't allowed to use Thunder Rosa anymore, but they still can, so having Britt win what was essentially a feud where Thunder Rosa would have to leave the promotion if she lost would've been stupid and buried Rosa for no real reason. Britt is an ideal heel because she can lose every feud she's part of and still keep her heat. There's no reason to complain about that.