Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Holy poo poo the Barioth CB looks rad as hell in axe mode. I love how most CBs aren't just the shield slapped on the sword, it always has some little expansion or mini-transformation to make it more weaponized.

e: hella ditto Nargacuga

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I tried out the Gunlance and unlocked the Blast Dash; I had some big reservations about this at first because it seemed like each and every single move the Gunlance came with such a delay that the monster would be able to have enough time to move out of the goddamn zipcode before the lance would connect. And at first I was like "I do not see how people can play this personally; my brain probably is not wired to this class at all." Because, I mean, how in the world can one skill save a class for me when I'm finding everything else about it not that fun?

And then I got Blast Dash, and now this poo poo is absolutely comedic and I cannot imagine future games without this skill available.

Dunno if I'm going to main it, but now Gunlance is firmly cemented as my "gently caress around" weapon in Rise.

Other than that, I think I'll stick to Hammer but I dunno if I'm just not doing enough damage as I should (yo, gently caress you Barroth). I switched to bow, got the nifty little aerial jump silkbind skill (and this... is a little harder to aim than expected if the monster is pretty squirrelly) but gently caress I do no damage with these starting Bows so far (was a bow main in MHW, so I hope the distances and whatnot haven't changed that dramatically). Charge Blade I also went back to, but I hate, hate hate always coming back to it needing like 10-20 minutes to re-familiarize myself with the controls and the charge orders after a short break from the game.

So yeah, guess I'm going to be a Hammer person in Rise until I start unlocking decent elemental bows.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 28, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some meaning to the wirebug wires still on a monster after you finish a mount slam?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some meaning to the wirebug wires still on a monster after you finish a mount slam?

They hold the monster in place until they break off. IIRC the more wallslams you do the more wires they get, up to a max of 4.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Monsters are rooted to the general spot they're in while there are wires still attached. I mean, they can still do some movement attacks like hip checks but they can't like jump away to prepare a charge.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

I have a powerful need for this head piece. How to get?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Magnamalo armor skill is really cool...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Iymarra posted:

A bunch of the silly headpieces unlocked at 4* for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Iymarra posted:

you might have to go up in rank before it shows up yeah, or you might need at least one gargwa feather

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Magnanalo sure is shitloads easier once you can bring a few levels of Guard on your Lance. I gave up on him in the demo because his attacks did so much pushback and chip damage, but taking him on in the village quest with 3 levels of Guard trivialized him. Just kinda hopped and dashed around doing Lance stuff until he died. It really is amazing how good Lance is at hard-countering Monster Hunter combat. It kinda feels like it doesn't belong in the game, it's so good.

Inzombiac posted:

If I'm playing hammer, does it make sense to play HH solo?

If you like the idea of bonking heads, but want a moveset that is less charge/leap based than Hammer, then yes, try Horn. Setting the song stuff aside, Horn's moveset is what I wanted Hammer to be. A variety of big swings from multiple angles, making it easy to aim attacks at the head.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

you might have to go up in rank before it shows up yeah, or you might need at least one gargwa feather

First 'not able to access but wishlisted' item spotted then. In lieu of wigglerhead, that is.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

The Magnamalo armor skill is really cool...

What's it do exactly?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shine posted:

If you like the idea of bonking heads, but want a moveset that is less charge/leap based than Hammer, then yes, try Horn. Setting the song stuff aside, Horn's moveset is what I wanted Hammer to be. A variety of big swings from multiple angles, making it easy to aim attacks at the head.

It's so good after a mount too. X+A down onto the head from the dismount then alternate the big swings until you finish with a superpound when they start getting back up. This is often enough to get a KO which you can then thread into Trio/Infernal/Earthshaker. :iia:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

rampage is a lot of fun with a group

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hunted my first Volvidon and I love this stinky armadillo creature that I can knock on his rear end by smacking him with a bug when he's trying to roll around

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do the bowguns use ammo and if so is that ammo a consumable? I'm curious to check out ranged weapons but I never have because I don't like the idea of crafting a consumable ammo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MMF Freeway posted:

What's it do exactly?

Gives you Magnamalo's blight when the monster you're hunting is enraged and you can use it the same as you would when you fought Magnamalo. Just by wirebugging it off (the dash, I mean) and getting the monster to hit it and the first hit is a free trip and the next needs 2 blights and so on.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 28, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wildtortilla posted:

Do the bowguns use ammo and if so is that ammo a consumable? I'm curious to check out ranged weapons but I never have because I don't like the idea of crafting a consumable ammo.

yes and yes

generally I just buy a bunch of ammo straight from the merchant and then you carry around the crafting ingredients to craft more on the spot during a fight

the difficulty curve of bowguns is managing your inventory and setting up radial crafting

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm preparing to start using Heavy Bowguns when I get up to high rank, but I don't know which weapon I should be focusing on. All the different bowguns have all these different stats like recoil, deviation... and ammo selections and all, it's somewhat overwhelming. Any Bowgun experts can let me know what to look for? Piercing elemental ammo seems pretty cool but it's not like there's a gun that can fire all of it at once, I imagine. What other ammos are good? Give me the entire crash course, please.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
A couple Qs about buddies: Is there a system unlocked later on that will let me train specific skills and abilities onto my buddies, or do I just have to hope I can find one with exactly the stuff I want?

And also, does anything besides level matter for meowcenaries or trading? Am I safe to fill all those slots with 7 random buddies just to have those jobs going?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Alxprit posted:

I'm preparing to start using Heavy Bowguns when I get up to high rank, but I don't know which weapon I should be focusing on. All the different bowguns have all these different stats like recoil, deviation... and ammo selections and all, it's somewhat overwhelming. Any Bowgun experts can let me know what to look for? Piercing elemental ammo seems pretty cool but it's not like there's a gun that can fire all of it at once, I imagine. What other ammos are good? Give me the entire crash course, please.

I don't think anyone's played around with it in rise long enough to know what's best, but it's much less complicated to piece together workable stuff on your own than it looks.

The main thing to understand is each gun not only has different types of ammo it can use, but it also will use that ammo differently. Skimming the ammo page is pretty vital to understanding what each gun is good for. The number next to each ammo is clip size, and then the four symbols denote, in order, whether you can move while firing, move while reloading, auto reload the weapon, and rapid fire. Rapid fire is important for getting out a lot of damage, since each shot will do only use 1 ammo while shooting 3 times.

Recoil is on the first page of the gun itself, along with reload speed and special ammo type. Heavy bowguns get either wyvernheart or wyversnipe, light bowguns get wyvernblast mines. Wyvern heart is the minigun, wyvernsnipe is a single piercing shot, and wyvernblast mines do damage when they get hit or when you shoot them.

I'm just before the last fight in village 4*, and I've been using the khezu lbg because it's got rapid fire electric ammo along with piercing 1 and 2 and thunder piercing ammo, and in low rank no monster is really ready to handle the amount of steady pressure you can put out with a light bowgun. It kinda doesn't matter which gun you use as long as you like the ammo it's good at using, and low rank is the time to mess around with and figure out what you like.

Also you can assign crafting to a radial menu, which isn't really necessary for low rank but is vital for higher ranks, because you will not be able to kill any monster with just the ammo you have in your pouch. Carrying around the materials to craft more of the ammo you want to use is a core part of playing with bowguns.

Not trying to be a comprehensive guide here, because generally everyone right now should just be trying stuff out. This is probably enough to get you started. Later on people will be putting together sets for specific ammo types, like sticky sets, but we're not there yet so it's fine to just use whatever.

Also don't drop cluster bombs on people hitting the monster, it staggers like longsword does. Definitely don't do it, it isn't super funny. Not even a little bit.

Sidenote, I haven't used an HBG in rise yet, but in world you would slap a bunch of shields on the gun so that you blocked like a lance if you were aiming and weren't reloading or firing it. That will be an option under "Customize Bowgun" at the smith, be sure to check out your options there.

The silencer on the khezu lbg gives it a surgical mask, btw, and the gun squeaks like latex, just like khezu does. It owns.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Spectral Werewolf posted:

A couple Qs about buddies: Is there a system unlocked later on that will let me train specific skills and abilities onto my buddies, or do I just have to hope I can find one with exactly the stuff I want?

And also, does anything besides level matter for meowcenaries or trading? Am I safe to fill all those slots with 7 random buddies just to have those jobs going?

At least for Argosy trading, level will dictate what they bring back in yields.

The Buddies do seem to level up in Argosy and Meowcenaries but obviously much slower than the Dojo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shine posted:

Yeah, wielding Hunting Horn is like flipping around with a big agile warhammer. I love it. I don't know if the doubleswing after a forward pound is new or if I just never knew about it but it feels incredible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Horn is amazing even solo. I felt like I was borderline clowning on monsters through the village quests. I tried swapping to Long Sword and I have no idea how people do it. The counter feels so hard to pull off, and I'm constantly struggling to get openers to level up.

A "stuff you should know" suggested level does matter for trading, I assume it matters for meowcenaries as well since there's a little meter that estimates your results, and I assume it will be higher with higher level stuff.

I'd fill with randos while leveling a bunch on the side with dojo, maybe rotate them or just swap them out once you've got them trained up?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 28, 2021

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
oh my god my palamute is a cerberus

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So for hammers, in Rise are we looking at just raw damage, or do we need elemental hammers to really do damage?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I am also wondering this and I'm gonna be real mad if it's the latter!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Horn is amazing even solo. I felt like I was borderline clowning on monsters through the village quests. I tried swapping to Long Sword and I have no idea how people do it. The counter feels so hard to pull off, and I'm constantly struggling to get openers to level up.

I started with long sword and it feels like the hit box is super thin, I had a hard time hitting smaller targets lol. I switched to hammer and I’m having a better time for sure.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MechaX posted:

So for hammers, in Rise are we looking at just raw damage, or do we need elemental hammers to really do damage?

I think it depends on if you're using the alternate charge attack switch skill with double hits or not. Don't quote me on that though, I haven't done or looked at damage calcs or anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The monster roster is really incredible, the selections for who to bring back is basically my dream team + all the new monsters are amazing. I can't wait to see what the Final Battle is like even though I'm still in LR

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also does anybody know some good fishing spots. I need an Armored Bream to make a CB I'm lookin at...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The monster roster is really incredible, the selections for who to bring back is basically my dream team + all the new monsters are amazing. I can't wait to see what the Final Battle is like even though I'm still in LR

Is Tetranodon a new mon. I love him lol

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

So the thing with bowguns is that there are general builds to go for that are based around what ammo types you want to use. You kind of choose guns backwards, where you say to yourself "okay, I'm going to make a Pierce Ammo build, so I need a gun that's the most effective at shooting Pierce ammo." Find guns that are able to shoot Pierce ammo, then you compare the recoil/reload stats to nail a specific gun down, but you always start with the ammo chart.

So, say you're looking to make a gun that does very high water-type damage. First, you find the guns with Water Ammo as an option. Then, you look at which ones can Rapid Fire (three shots per single ammo, indicated by the orange arrow on the ammo chart). You see that the Springnight shot can rapid-fire water ammo, so you look at the recoil, it's low, and fast reload speed, so this is a great choice. Then you can get armor that gives you Water Attack, or whatever other skills that compliment your ammo choice (There's skills that boost the damage of basically every ammo type). It's kind of complicated, but it's mostly just looking at weapon charts to compare. The key to really getting down and dirty with the numbers is having enough experience with the weapons to know what weird tradeoffs are worth it, like, is it better to have more ammo capacity or a higher reload speed, minor stuff like that, but if you've got the general strategy of picking out the strong weapons those minutia aren't that big a deal.

Here are the general ammo type strategies you'll be building around:

Spread Ammo: basically a shotgun build, you're aiming for an enemies head to induce chain KO damage and permastun monsters. HBG has shields to keep you safe and generally more ammo capacity than LBG and are generally used for this build.

Piercing Ammo: Ammo that does damage as it travels, so the longer the monster is and the longer the ammo collides with the hitbox the more damage it does. Not very useful against really small monsters, but against very long and slow enemies this melts. This game added elemental piercing ammo, which is cool AND can be rapid-fired by LBGs, but I don't know how it stacks up vs Pierce Ammo 3. It's probably pretty good. The benefit of non-elemental ammo though is you can use it vs any monster, if you want elemental piercing ammo you'll have to make four different guns, one for each element, unless this game does the World thing and makes 75% of the monsters weak to Thunder and only 10% weak to fire.

Elemental Ammo: Exactly the same as Normal ammo but with elemental damage. LBGs can rapid-fire and are the preference for this ammo, I never see elemental single-shot HBG builds (might change with elemental piercing ammo but that's different)

Slicing Ammo: Worth mentioning because it was broken as gently caress in World and needed to be nerfed, but with HBGs now able to charge their ammo attacks it might be nuts again. Basically slicing ammo does KO damage for chainstuns, but can also cut tails!!! I'd wait for a trip report before committing to a Slicing-only build but a nice bonus ammo type for any gun.

Sticky Ammo: Breaks monster parts really good but not a primary form of damage. If you want a specific drop from breaks or something like, to remove Barroth's coating so your teammates attacks stop bouncing.

Shrapnel Ammo: Seems like ammo that auto-aims for you so long as the monster is within a cone? New ammo type, not sure exactly what the use case is.

I don't know how much of this sort of stuff is returning from World, but there's also a few meme builds you can do with stuff like Cluster Bomb ammo that is normally meant to be the big-damage ammo you use after a monster is knocked out, but those require very specific setups and aren't really worth investing in for anything other than like, speedrun setups. Anyways, I would try to get more specific in terms of some example guns and some starter builds, but I just hit the credits and have been taking things pretty slow so I don't have access to any of the good stuff yet. I'm waiting to try them out until I hit postgame and can just buy all the ammo I need. Hope that helps get you started with bowguns.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

In Training posted:

I'm a little disappointed it's not like, MHW roster + more, but I can see the logic in trimming the fat. Great Jagras would probably be kind of lost in the mix of low tier monsters. Though, lacking Odie is a bit of a shame.
Part of me was hoping for something closer to GenU, but knew that was a bit unrealistic.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Shrapnel Ammo: Seems like ammo that auto-aims for you so long as the monster is within a cone? New ammo type, not sure exactly what the use case is.

The new thing with HBGs is you can charge up every shot by holding the button down. I'm wondering if this makes shrapnel more usable vs. large monsters. It's nice for clearing small monsters but that's not really important. It feels like it just hits in a really huge cone like old pellet shot but without the friendly fire.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm a little disappointed it's not like, MHW roster + more, but I can see the logic in trimming the fat. Great Jagras would probably be kind of lost in the mix of low tier monsters. Though, lacking Odie is a bit of a shame.
Part of me was hoping for something closer to GenU, but knew that was a bit unrealistic.

If you think about it, Tetranadon is a better Great Jagras.

One monster I don't want to see back in a while is Nergigante. Not because of his fight, he's fine, whatever. I just don't like his music. One of the lowest points of the series imo and I feel it would bring down Rise's stellar soundtrack if he were to return. Though on the other side of the coin, I could hope they remix it better or something.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Gyro stuff. If you want it to feel more like a fine tune aid, set the the first group of sliders to 25-30. Makes it feel a bit more like botw than splatoon to me.

Also be sure to turn on the up down option as well.

I have not messed with the second group of sliders.

And for explaining how to wire bug around to new players/the wife.. Generally don't use the x or a combo. Think of zl like ads, and zr like your trigger in a shooter. That made wire bugging around click for my wife.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 28, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my favorite thing about these threads is watching people go "i main X and i have no idea how people play Y it's so weird" and then immediately after that someone going "i basically only play Y and have no idea how people can do X, it feels so weird to use it"

it's great

also gunlance is so fuckin good now it's incredible

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

One monster I don't want to see back in a while is Nergigante.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Diephoon posted:

The new thing with HBGs is you can charge up every shot by holding the button down. I'm wondering if this makes shrapnel more usable vs. large monsters. It's nice for clearing small monsters but that's not really important. It feels like it just hits in a really huge cone like old pellet shot but without the friendly fire.

I tried this out a little bit in the training room and while charging Piercing ammo does give you a damage bonus you'd actually care about, Shrapnel shots got boosted from like, 7x3 to 9x3 or something, really underwhelming overall. But maybe there's a LBG that can rapid fire it and it's nuts or something