Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I've never shopped for new wheels but I plan to find some decent wheels for my old frankenbike (after/during the replacement of the BB and the rest of the drivetrain). Is there an easy way to tell how suitable for additional weight a given wheel is? Do the manufacturers tell you how much weight they can take?

https://www.cyclingabout.com/the-best-rims-for-bicycle-touring/

An older article so the recommendations might be out of date, but the explanations for what makes a strong wheel are still good. I don't know if you're going to find hard weight capacity specs because of all the variables involved, but unless you're a Clyde you'll probably be fine with a decent rim paired with 36 spokes. I've been using 36 spoke Mavic A319s on all my touring and commuter bikes over a decade, with no issues even with really heavy loads.

I hear Velocity Chukkers and Atlases being used if you need something as indestructible as possible, but I'm not a big person and don't care about tubeless so i haven't felt the need to upgrade my wheels any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The really thin sanitary towels with the wings are the absolute best for blister emergencies, you can wrap them round your foot and use the sticky strips to fix them in place.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I did the Zwift 4 week FTP booster (took me almost 8 weeks, oh well). FTP test was today, I hit 246w on the 20 minute average on my first test back in February and clocked 258w today = 11.4w increase in FTP. I also managed to lose 3 lbs between tests raising my w/kg from 3.1 to 3.3 :toot:

I almost puked at the end of the 20 minutes today so I think I did it right. Pretty happy with my results, I was assuming I'd only see a small bump if any. Especially since I was fully rested going into the first test and only had 48 hours of rest before this morning's test. Now I'm just scared for the next round of training because all of my zones are going to be a few watts higher.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

spf3million posted:

I did the Zwift 4 week FTP booster (took me almost 8 weeks, oh well). FTP test was today, I hit 246w on the 20 minute average on my first test back in February and clocked 258w today = 11.4w increase in FTP. I also managed to lose 3 lbs between tests raising my w/kg from 3.1 to 3.3 :toot:

I almost puked at the end of the 20 minutes today so I think I did it right. Pretty happy with my results, I was assuming I'd only see a small bump if any. Especially since I was fully rested going into the first test and only had 48 hours of rest before this morning's test. Now I'm just scared for the next round of training because all of my zones are going to be a few watts higher.

:toot:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hell yeah

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Nice work!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Suez canal incident is holding up a boat load (literally) of Shimano parts for Europe and the UK.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

The Suez canal incident is holding up a boat load (literally) of Shimano parts for Europe and the UK.

That’s what Shimano wants you to think :tinfoil:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would not entirely be surprised if it contained Halford’s entire restock tbh.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Fs in chat for me trying to buy any 160mm rotors anywhere

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

One of the suppliers we deal with can't get us bikes only because they can't get sea cans and we're gonna have a very slow summer if those sex arseslovely mtbs and hybrids don't show up.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

spf3million posted:

Excellent!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got out at 5am and rode 85 miles. Saw the sunrise. Good poo poo. Love bikes.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Rode 10km to the local coffee&doughnut cafe. They were out of doughnuts. Rode home.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Did my first century (imperial) of the year; also trolled myself really badly with the route, as there was a 25mph westerly and the route kept on wiggling around - "Ah, this is the last time I'll have a headwind as I'm now turning to home NOPE turning left again".

An elapsed time of only 1m03 longer than the moving time was pretty nice, too

Vando posted:

Fs in chat for me trying to buy any 160mm rotors anywhere

If you want to buy some very lightly used Ultegra ones for like £65 for 2 inc postage then lmk

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 27, 2021

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Before I just go and buy the one that looks coolest, does anyone have strong opinions on a packable wind vest/gilet that they love/hate?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have very strong opinions on zips and the fact that they must be double zips or nothing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I have very strong opinions on zips and the fact that they must be double zips or nothing.

:emptyquote:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Before I just go and buy the one that looks coolest, does anyone have strong opinions on a packable wind vest/gilet that they love/hate?

The Castellione I have is absolutely boss. Packs down to absolutely tiny but is completely windproof and has some water resistance too. I think its been updated to be called the Squadra now since I can't find mine online anymore.

Also I took my dog cycling today to wear him out and I've never seen him as happy as when we bombed down a gravel track descent.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My biggest issue searching around is that none of the product shots show packed down size. Really frustrating when companies advertise it as “packable”!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Are you looking for any insulation or just a thin wind/rain protector?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

spf3million posted:

Are you looking for any insulation or just a thin wind/rain protector?

Just wind (and/or rain). Just for spring rides or morning/evening in the summer where it gets a bit chilly in a regular jersey.

I guess the Albion Burner is another option:

https://www.albioncycling.com/product/burner-burnt-yellow/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My biggest issue searching around is that none of the product shots show packed down size. Really frustrating when companies advertise it as “packable”!

The castelli one is about the size of a cliff bar when its packed down. Just a touch thicker.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can make that yourself for about £3 btw. It’s quilted lining material, sprayed with waterproofing.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good resources on advanced riding techniques? most of the clips i’ve seen on youtube are very entry level.

Like I’m wondering how exactly to position my bum and hips when flying down a hill

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Head Bee Guy posted:

Are there any good resources on advanced riding techniques? most of the clips i’ve seen on youtube are very entry level.

Like I’m wondering how exactly to position my bum and hips when flying down a hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99K4gpJZWdw

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hips back, heels down, palms behind bars a bit, legs bent and ready to absorb sudden shock. All meant to make any bumping/stopping force push you against the bike harder and in a forward direction instead of up and off the bike. Don't be so far back that the front wheel doesn't have any weight on it, however. Mountain biking skills videos from the likes of GMBN on youtube are a good reference.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Watch a pro road race if you want to learn how to position yourself. Well unless they're doing the suicide tuck, but that's banned now so they shouldn't be.

To be fair any of Nibalis descending videos are a masterclass on going downhill fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPHnqI13vPk

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hips back, heels down, palms behind bars a bit, legs bent and ready to absorb sudden shock. All meant to make any bumping/stopping force push you against the bike harder and in a forward direction instead of up and off the bike. Don't be so far back that the front wheel doesn't have any weight on it, however. Mountain biking skills videos from the likes of GMBN on youtube are a good reference.

this is great info, thank you!

And an actual contribution to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1srjjZ8Vo4

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

As mentioned before, heels down, hips a bit back if standing, and I definitely have my hands in the drops if on a road bike. It'll let you have a looser grip on the bars and keep your hands from being knocked of the hoods if you hit a bump.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Head Bee Guy posted:

If on a road bike:

Descend in the drops if it's anything fast. Brace the top tube with your knees for added stability/stiffness.

When carving corners, countersteer by pushing forward (not down) with your inside hand to initiate a lean. Straighten your outside leg and "put your weight on it" ... you're mostly just shifting your CoG slightly here, your body position will shift to the outside as a result. Keep your upper body low.

Use both brakes in concert. The front brake is typically ~80% of your stopping power. Feather your rear brake through corners. If you aren't sure about the road surface conditions, brake enough so that you don't have to touch your front brake at all through the corner.

Practice emergency braking by throwing your butt all the way back behind the saddle and getting your upper body super low.

If you want to save your brake pads on non-technical descents, sitting up and bowing out your arms/legs is an effective air brake.

Remember that right turns in most of the world (left in the UK/AU/etc) are tighter than left handers, but some left handers can be off-camber or be on the wrong side of a crowned road surface. If you are familiar with a corner be prepared for surprises like decreasing radii, potholes, etc. Don’t bomb blind corners because motorists are stupid.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

TobinHatesYou posted:

If on a road bike:

Descend in the drops if it's anything fast. Brace the top tube with your knees for added stability/stiffness.

When carving corners, countersteer by pushing forward (not down) with your inside hand to initiate a lean. Straighten your outside leg and "put your weight on it" ... you're mostly just shifting your CoG slightly here, your body position will shift to the outside as a result. Keep your upper body low.

To be honest I don't like putting it in terms of "pushing" with your inside hand. Even though you say not to push down, I feel like it's very easy to confuse the intent and end up with people who think they should be weighting their inside hand heavily into corners.
I dunno exactly how I'd put it though...and I'm not exactly a fantastic descender or anything. I think far more about softening up my inside arm/shoulder so I don't end up pushing myself upright because my inside arm is straight and pushing my against the bars, weighting the outside foot like you said, getting low and more "chin over the stem" (not height-wise, but more weight distribution front to back) through the corner, and most importantly, looking through the corner not at the spot 5 feet in front of me. I think that last part is huge when trying to learn to corner better...you'll never corner well if you're always looking right in front of you. Get your eyes around and look through the corner, the bike will follow, it'll feel more natural, otherwise your brain is trying to process what is happening in front of you too fast and you'll feel out of control.

quote:

Use both brakes in concert. The front brake is typically ~80% of your stopping power. Feather your rear brake through corners. If you aren't sure about the road surface conditions, brake enough so that you don't have to touch your front brake at all through the corner.

It was in some mountain biking video but applies to road too I think...think about your front brake as more being your main source of stopping power, used to slow you down, but your rear brake can be used to try to control speed and keep you from speeding up through corners as much. Again, more from MTB advice, but while you do want to try to brake before a corner in order to enter it at the proper speed, braking in the corner isn't some horrible thing to avoid either as long as you do it properly and to control speed, not to try to slow down quickly. Braking hard while cornering can cause you to lose grip and slide out, etc.

quote:

Practice emergency braking by throwing your butt all the way back behind the saddle and getting your upper body super low.

And this is mainly about putting your body (and weight) in a position to absorb the momentum that will try to throw you forward and over the bars if you have to brake hard.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Pssh they are asking for advanced techniques.

Look up what a 'scandi flick' is and apply that to every corner possible. Just be prepared to have to replace your rear tyre and/or the skin on your arms and legs after every ride.

You will look very cool though and isn't that what really matters?

don't do this

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://i.imgur.com/oSdk1eX.gifv

there you go, learn all of this

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
My recumbent is aero enough that there are several hills less than a mile from my place, where an un-braked will take me over 50mph. This isn’t wise so I tend to keep the speeds a bit lower. One of the descents has a traffic light near the bottom as well.

I had the same company’s (Bacchetta) recumbent bike with rim brakes. I’d heat up the rims enough to make them crack after 1000 miles or so, had to replace with Velocity Chukkers (sp).

The current bike has discs (BB7), pads last about 750 miles. Next pad change I’m also swapping the rotors as the front one has been worn a bit thin.

On the Brompton I had one incident where I blew a tire up on a 1000ft descent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Round 4 of the government fix your bike scheme is out

https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/

I’m getting that sodding front brake fixed.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love that the UK calls all these government plans "schemes," it makes everything sound sneaky and underhanded.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I love that the UK calls all these government plans "schemes," it makes everything sound sneaky and underhanded.

They are! I got my Giant TCR serviced on the second round and my wife is getting my winterbike serviced on the third one!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Round 4 of the government fix your bike scheme is out

https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/

I’m getting that sodding front brake fixed.

If the US attempted this there would be nationwide chud riots and retaliation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

If the US attempted this there would be nationwide chud riots and retaliation

It was announced as part of a cycling revolution about a year ago and is the only bit still going, as a lot of the cycleways put in at great expense have now been ripped up at great expense