Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kyllä nyt veeteeveen pääjohtajan pitäisi näyttää esimerkkiä muille. Itäsaksalainen ydinpommin kestävä permanentti ja juuttisäkkimekko sopivat muutenkin ekologisempaan ajankuvaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

SUPO thinks that human rights are problematic, especially the right to privacy in one's own home https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000007885954.html Funny how they got Eduskunta to grant them the right to erode privacy to a small degree and are instantly asking for more, how about that

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

barbecue at the folks posted:

SUPO thinks that human rights are problematic, especially the right to privacy in one's own home https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000007885954.html Funny how they got Eduskunta to grant them the right to erode privacy to a small degree and are instantly asking for more, how about that

Etenkin tuo salatun viestinnän vastustus oli melkoinen, rip https ja sähköposti.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Näillä sherlockeilla kesti vuosia keksiä, kuka on Pasilan mies, eikä silloin ollut mitään salattuja whatsappeja vaan salakännykkä huumepoliisin työpöydän laatikossa.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Do they politely ask Russian agents to not use encryption on their messages because they are so hard to read?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Keskusta at the point of counting on magic:
https://www.hs.fi/sunnuntai/art-2000007883175.html

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
House of cards etc...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Kokoomus: Suomi on meritokratia

Suomi:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

DarkCrawler posted:

Kokoomus: Suomi on meritokratia

Suomi:

I mean she was hired on her merits. They just didn't include "being good at the job".

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love how the person in charge of watching after everyone else's spending just went "Wait, but who watches the watchmen?" and started buying plane tickets, truly we are a corruption-free society

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I've always wondered what the deal was with NC's angry outbursts about "constitution fundamentalists" ruining things, and this analysis from Yle finally explains the background. It wasn't until 1989 that Finland accepted the European human rights declaration, and with that the legislative focus was shifted from a general singular chapter-in-law to a more holistical constitutional approach. Not everyone was pleased by this, and there are schools of thought among the law academia who think this talk of fundamental rights has gone too far, Ben Zyskowicz (NC) being the most vocal. Indeed, this focus on rights has in turn proved to be problematic to legislative bodies, who have had to painstakingly tried to fit new bills with the constitution, especially in these Corona times. Although it might be that the politicians themselves might be the real problem, since some parties are accused of selectively raising only certain rights to the fore and not just the totality of rights, ie. restaurants having the right to do business.

Long story short, it's pragmatistic vs. idealistic approaches to law.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
PYF Erotic Literature

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Forktoss posted:

PYF Erotic Literature

Tag yourself, I'm Paasikivi peräsimessä.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Forktoss posted:

PYF Erotic Literature

Suomen suurin talonpoika :quagmire:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I've always wondered what the deal was with NC's angry outbursts about "constitution fundamentalists" ruining things, and this analysis from Yle finally explains the background. It wasn't until 1989 that Finland accepted the European human rights declaration, and with that the legislative focus was shifted from a general singular chapter-in-law to a more holistical constitutional approach. Not everyone was pleased by this, and there are schools of thought among the law academia who think this talk of fundamental rights has gone too far, Ben Zyskowicz (NC) being the most vocal. Indeed, this focus on rights has in turn proved to be problematic to legislative bodies, who have had to painstakingly tried to fit new bills with the constitution, especially in these Corona times. Although it might be that the politicians themselves might be the real problem, since some parties are accused of selectively raising only certain rights to the fore and not just the totality of rights, ie. restaurants having the right to do business.

I always just figured it was annoyance at the constitution not allowing them to gently caress the poor quite as much as they'd like.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Forktoss posted:

PYF Erotic Literature

Marsalkan Ruusu kuulostaa Keltaisen Ruusun Mikkelin haarakonttorilta.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All those covers and not single one with "Rytinää" in the title, forever doomed to be the most undervalued president ever :smith:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

No it's not. Nothing pragmatic about it.

Warden posted:

I always just figured it was annoyance at the constitution not allowing them to gently caress the poor quite as much as they'd like.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DarkCrawler posted:

All those covers and not single one with "Rytinää" in the title, forever doomed to be the most undervalued president ever :smith:

I gained some new appreciation for Ryti after reading the Väinö Tanner biography that was published couple of years ago.

Ryti really got a raw deal and Kekkonen was an amoral rear end in a top hat with absolutely no scruples or principles. Ryti got the last laugh in a way though, as apparently several of of the speakers in his funeral indirectly and implicitly roasted Kekkonen, who was sitting in the front row, for his actions as the minister of justice during the war guilt trials.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, he's like the only president who actually sacrificed anything personally for Finland, while ol' Marski just hosed off to Switzerland once there was no more others' blood to shed.

EDIT: ok Finland probably killed Kallio but I always thought that was it's revenge for Kieltolaki

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I have the following novels in the works, you can pre-order by supporting my Patreon :finland:

Kunnon kyydit Joensuussa - Ståhlbergien kuumat paikat takapenkillä
Matkakuumeen kuriin panemista - Reissu-Lassen viiden ulkomaan seikkailu
Ukkometso: Ukko-Pekka Svinhufvud soitimella Siperiassa
Kova kuin Kallio
Risto panee rytisten osa 2: saippuan tiputtelua Sörkassa
Miekkoja ja tuppia - Carl, Adi ja Joe
Paasikivi panee parastaan - Kovat panokset YYA-pöydässä
Kurkintaa Urkin taa - Paljasta nahkaa Zavidovossa
Manun aseen kätkentää
Nussintaa Namibiassa - Maran kuuma safari
Halosta molempiin päihin
Puolisiveä ukkomies

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

DarkCrawler posted:

If I ever get my "make terrible tracker music" - project off the ground it will be called Risto Rytinä

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I would describe it so that there are times where the ideals you stand for oppose each other in practice. Like freedom of moving and assembling as opposed to protecting our fellow lives during a pandemic. You have to prioritise the ideals. Then people reach different conclusions due to different things being important to them (for example, you can't get a pub troll to care for other people if he doesn't even care for what happens to him), and then you will always have this dance where some say you're stomping on basic rights while you're only doing something that essentially needs to be done.

Of course cock is the royalty succession party so any basic rights types of ideas aren't so popular.

Anyway about constitution. Sometimes initiatives are also criticised based on yhdenvertaisuuslaki in that it will hurt/benefit some segment of the population more than another. Like if a certain type of crime is on the rise one argument against increasing penalties could be that a certain ethnicity would be more prevalent in those who it would affect. Or pay cuts to a profession are protested through claiming it would hit one gender more than the other. While I'm sure every sane person would agree that we should raise the salaries of kindergarten teachers and that we should probably avoid the trap of having our police beating up foreigners, one has to realise that the argument is quite hollow in the end and leads to total paralysis.

There are plenty of good arguments available so using this one is just really dishonest. If we really lived through such a rule, we couldn't lower the salaries of top executives because that would mean men would be hit more by it. Or we could but then it would be just arbitrary as to when this equality rule is applied. Even if we always strived for some imaginary middle line towards which all decisions we should nudge ourselves, we would essentially be trying to box nature and human experience to some standard that cannot exist.

What I'm trying to say is that we should hold the constitution as more of a guideline than some piece of religious literature you can go absolutely fundamental on. It is literally impossible to follow it all the time and our society would be healthier if we were honest about it. Saying that there are no fundamentalists around this topic would be like saying there are no bible fundamentalists among us. Denying it won't do us any good.

Also our politicians decide how to interpret the constitution so we should drop the pretense that it's all very neutral aspect of lawmaking. Of course after a law has passed, a case can go to court and then the supreme court decides that the law they made didn't actually hold water, but that's a long way and sometimes it never happens. I would be open for alternative ideas for dealing with this issue so we're not so dependent on just having a sane majority in some cabinet. Luck can be treacherous.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

okay 'fess up it's doxx time

which one of you's is Miikka?

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11860402

edit: gotta link another Yle article here as well. entrepreneur spends weekends in luxury hotels, oh okay. complains that new covid restrictions make her life worse, wowza. has named her dog Blondi :stare::godwin:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11856333

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

okay 'fess up it's doxx time

which one of you's is Miikka?

Also PM me :swoon:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000007893759.html

Ei nyt mennyt ihan putkeen :laugh:

On se hienoa kun pitää alkaa äänestämään joko kommareita tai kristallipuoluetta kun nämä muka tosissaan otettavat vassaripuolueet vetävät tällä tyylillä

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Selvisin sitten näköjään kirjoituksista ilman, että järki meni tai korona tuli. Jos sais huomenna alustavan arvioinnin tyrkättyä eteenpäin, niin voisi alkaa juomaan.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Welp, the constitutional council or whatever announced that the proposed curfew bills are unconstitutional. Back to the drawing board.

Why couldn't they do this last year? Goddamit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It was always clear the proposed restrictions were unenforceable and not really intended to be enforced either. So good job perustuslakivaliokunta I guess? :shrug:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm glad the use of public funds is monitored so effectively

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So the The Finns of Southern Savolax are in disarray and this article is just :kiss:, my favourite bit is that they just can't write proper Finnish statements

quote:

Ano Turtiaisen ympärille kietoutuu myös Pieksämäen paikallisyhdistyksen hajaannus.

Tammikuussa 2020 Iltalehti uutisoi, että Turtiainen oli laskuttanut kilometrikorvauksia eniten kaikista kansanedustajista.

22 pieksämäkeläistä perussuomalaista lähetti piirihallituksen puheenjohtajalle tiedoksiannon, jossa he kertoivat paheksuvansa Turtiaisen toimintaa. Salaiseksi tarkoitettu tieto vuosi kuitenkin omaan paikallisyhdistykseen.

Paperin epäonnistunut muotoilu johti kaikkien allekirjoittaneiden erottamiseen.

Tiedoksianto kuuluu sanatarkasti näin: "Me allekirjoittaneet Pieksämäen perussuomalaisten paikallisyhdistyksen jäsenet irtisanoudumme ja paheksumme Ano Turtiaisen toimintaa hänen käyttäessään hyväkseen asemassaan kansanedustajana nostaessaan matkakorvauksia laittomin perustein."

Tarkoitus oli sanoa, että allekirjoittaneet haluavat irtisanoutua Ano Turtiaisen toiminnasta. Piirin palkkaama lakimies tulkitsi paperia sana sanasta ja allekirjoittaneille myönnettiin ero yhdistyksestä.

I mean just look at that quoted sentence. Presumably multiple people read that statement before it was released and didn't ask for revisions.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 31, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Welp, the constitutional council or whatever announced that the proposed curfew bills are unconstitutional. Back to the drawing board.

Why couldn't they do this last year? Goddamit.

Should have listened to Ben and bypass constitutional assessments!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

So the The Finns of Southern Savolax are in disarray and this article is just :kiss:, my favourite bit is that they just can't write proper Finnish statements

I mean just look at that quoted sentence. Presumably multiple people read that statement before it was released and didn't ask for revisions.

As someone from Southern Savonia, and indeed, Pieksämäki...none of this surprises me.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Saatanan savolaiset, yet again.

DarkCrawler posted:

As someone from Southern Savonia, and indeed, Pieksämäki

I've spent enough time there to know to offer my condolences.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Warden posted:

Saatanan savolaiset, yet again.

A lot of people do, it's a train hub, I'd say a minute is enough

:(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Not gonna lie, Pieksämäki is a really nice place to go kayaking or biking in summer time. Just stay away from the populace.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DarkCrawler posted:

As someone from Southern Savonia, and indeed, Pieksämäki...none of this surprises me.

Oh that explains so much about your posting.

It's better than the average for the region.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

To be fair, they really weren't let go because of a badly worded statement, they were fired because they criticized TAno.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Warden posted:

Me too, like a total of three hours maybe while switching trains. I have seen Elvis Grilli and that was enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

Kannatusmittauksen Ylelle tehneen Taloustutkimuksen tutkimusjohtaja Tuomo Turja arvioi, että koronatoimien ympärillä näkyvä keskustelu voi vaikuttaa myös kuntavaalikannatukseen.

– Tässä mitataan kuntavaalikannatusta, mutta vaalikampanjat eivät ole päässeet käyntiin ja vaaleja on siirretty. Tässä voi näkyä enemmän yleinen poliittinen keskustelu, mitä viime aikoina on käyty, Turja sanoo.

Kokoomuksen kuntavaalimenestykselle kohentunut kannatus lupaa hyvää. Suurimman kuntapuolueen paikkaa jälleen tavoitteleva kokoomus voi luottaa äänestäjiinsä perussuomalaisia enemmän.

– Kokoomuksella on hyvä tilanne siinä, että puolueella on uskolliset äänestäjät. Kokoomus voi luottaa siihen, että kannatusmittauksessa mitatut tulokset myös toteutuvat vaaleissa. Perussuomalaisilla on tässä suhteessa enemmän haasteita, Turja sanoo.

[...]

Taloustutkimuksen Turja arvioi, että vihreät on vienyt kannatusta vasemmistoliitolta, jonka kannatus on laskenut. Vasemmistoliiton kannatuksessa helmikuun aikana näkynyt pomppu on maaliskuun aikana kadonnut.

– Vasemmistoliitto on menettänyt kannattajia erityisesti naisissa, nuorissa ja Etelä-Suomessa asuvien joukossa. Vihreät on saanut kannattajia samoissa ryhmissä, Turja sanoo.

If this is actually a kuntavaalikannatusmittaus, then the PS number is ridiculous. But as the pollster says, the elections are happening, maybe???, not so immediately so maybe no one just cares about the distinction :shrug: