Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Guess I'll weigh in with my BitD experience.

Our weekly Pandemic Survival Zoom RPG group was supposed to play D&D, but the DM wasn't feeling it- so we played a Blades game I'd prepared. The PCs were not at all familiar with the rules or scene, so I had to go slow and explain a lot of things. And there are a lot of things to explain! So I left many things out and had structured the prelude in such a way that they could get an introduction to the system as it was a break from a lot of the popular d20 games of the past decade.

They started out with a hook, made a few rolls and made their way into their new "base" where I gave them their choice of Crew. It came together quite well, but I left out some things that I will need to go back and cover; but I noticed a lot of the rules I don't have to include or at least not yet. I can include all the Crew faction stuff and other small things later as an example of actions they took or consequences they bore.

Anyone have any other experiences with introducing BitD to a RPG group that is not familiar with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kumo posted:

Guess I'll weigh in with my BitD experience

They started out with a hook, made a few rolls and made their way into their new "base" where I gave them their choice of Crew. It came together quite well, but I left out some things that I will need to go back and cover; but I noticed a lot of the rules I don't have to include or at least not yet. I can include all the Crew faction stuff and other small things later as an example of actions they took or consequences they bore.

Anyone have any other experiences with introducing BitD to a RPG group that is not familiar with it?

I think you're going about it the right way. My current BitD game is with folks with myriad of RPG experience levels ranging from 0 other games, to 1 other PbtA, and others more experienced with non narrative games.
Our GM is very experienced with blades and slowly introduced mechanics or grew less forgiving with stuff like harm as a consequence, or not introducing resistance rolls until it made sense.
Like when the consequence was only 1-2 stress he didn't bother explaining that resistance rolls were a thing, when we first had a major consequence "Ok that attack is going to kill you. I'm guessing you don't want that to happen, right? Ok so here's how you can resist a consequence.."
He similarly didn't bring up devil's bargains until he had a good one plus someone was low on dice and was a bit nervous about a roll.
Then in a later session he brought up "So this is going to be a controlled+limited effect, because it's really tough, if you'd like you can shift down to risky+standard, or even desperate+great"
One of our players fell in love with trading their position down for a greater effect.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kumo posted:

Guess I'll weigh in with my BitD experience.

Our weekly Pandemic Survival Zoom RPG group was supposed to play D&D, but the DM wasn't feeling it- so we played a Blades game I'd prepared. The PCs were not at all familiar with the rules or scene, so I had to go slow and explain a lot of things. And there are a lot of things to explain! So I left many things out and had structured the prelude in such a way that they could get an introduction to the system as it was a break from a lot of the popular d20 games of the past decade.

I played a Blades game online starting about 6 months ago and learned the system as a player on the fly. Then about 2 months ago I introduced my IRL rp group to it and we've been rolling it ever since. My experience is similar to yours in that I soft rolled it at first with very basic stuff and most of our first couple sessions were free play with a few rolls added in as necessary. Slowly I've been expanding the use of the rules to where now the group is openly using the faction and tier mechanics to come up with scores and such. I think the slow burn approach worked really well and introduced the more narrative style in a fun and non-stressful way. Fewer rules to get in the way starting out.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I'm running Scum & Villainy for my group and they're about to participate in a big race, courtesy of the Echo Wave Riders. Only one character is actually in the race; the others will be pulling a job while everyone is distracted. I want to find a way to use clocks to make the race feel exciting and give the feeling of jockeying for position.

My current idea is this:

* A "FINISH LINE" clock that represents the end of the race. When it fills, someone has crossed the finish line and the race is over. I will not remove ticks from this clock as a consequence of a roll.
* A "FIRST PLACE" clock that represents the PC's position. As long as the clock is full, the PC is in first place. I can remove ticks from this clock as a consequence.

The PC will make rolls responding to different conditions in the race (reacting to hazards, making challenging maneuvers, hitting the afterburners to overtake another racer, etc.) and can choose to put their ticks towards either clock. So they can focus on gaining position early on at the risk of having to maintain that lead for longer, or wait to focus on position until later in the race at the risk of burning through Stress on the way there.

I think this will work for what I'm trying to do, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How about a "Vehicle condition" clock? The racer can determine whether they want to sacrifice condition or position when they get in trouble. That seems like a more realistic representation of racing.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BlurryMystr posted:

I'm running Scum & Villainy for my group and they're about to participate in a big race, courtesy of the Echo Wave Riders. Only one character is actually in the race; the others will be pulling a job while everyone is distracted. I want to find a way to use clocks to make the race feel exciting and give the feeling of jockeying for position.

My current idea is this:

* A "FINISH LINE" clock that represents the end of the race. When it fills, someone has crossed the finish line and the race is over. I will not remove ticks from this clock as a consequence of a roll.
* A "FIRST PLACE" clock that represents the PC's position. As long as the clock is full, the PC is in first place. I can remove ticks from this clock as a consequence.

The PC will make rolls responding to different conditions in the race (reacting to hazards, making challenging maneuvers, hitting the afterburners to overtake another racer, etc.) and can choose to put their ticks towards either clock. So they can focus on gaining position early on at the risk of having to maintain that lead for longer, or wait to focus on position until later in the race at the risk of burning through Stress on the way there.

I think this will work for what I'm trying to do, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

The first place clock seems at odds with this just being a distraction. Is it just meant as a bonus (or trap?) for the speed hungry PC, or is the crew gaining some advantage from coming first? Really, it seems like it would be in the racing PC's best interest to just blow the race by causing a big pileup (or whatever the space equivalent is) and get everyone's attention.
Maybe put some special attention clocks on there. A Sebulba type who will take revenge if the PC is unsubtle about losing the race, a Jabba type who has the race absolutely rigged and won't tolerate deviation, a Dom Toretto type who will approach especially skilled PCs after the race and just will not shut up about family.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd just do a large tug-of-war clock. Describe that at the end of the race there's a real nasty bottle neck and that if they don't win there's a fortune roll to see if they get caught in a bad pile up. Means there's a lot of jockeying for position, it won't fill too quickly and simply throwing the race isn't in their best interest.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

PerniciousKnid posted:

How about a "Vehicle condition" clock? The racer can determine whether they want to sacrifice condition or position when they get in trouble. That seems like a more realistic representation of racing.
I was considering giving the racer PC a ship sheet for the racing craft they're using, but it felt like it might be overkill. An "ENGINE OVERHEATS" clock or something similar might be a way to minimize the amount of bookkeeping required.

Shanty posted:

The first place clock seems at odds with this just being a distraction. Is it just meant as a bonus (or trap?) for the speed hungry PC, or is the crew gaining some advantage from coming first? Really, it seems like it would be in the racing PC's best interest to just blow the race by causing a big pileup (or whatever the space equivalent is) and get everyone's attention.
Maybe put some special attention clocks on there. A Sebulba type who will take revenge if the PC is unsubtle about losing the race, a Jabba type who has the race absolutely rigged and won't tolerate deviation, a Dom Toretto type who will approach especially skilled PCs after the race and just will not shut up about family.

In this case, the race is the primary reason the crew is there - the Pilot in the race wants an in with the Echo Wave Riders and genuinely wants to win this. The job is more of a "hey while we're here..." situation while they are brushing elbows with a lot of important people from all over the sector.

A clock like you describe is a good idea - the Pilot's rival contact is also in the race and something like "Choss takes this personally" or "Choss gets pissed and cheats" could be an interesting wrinkle.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think it works better if the race result matters to the heist somehow. Like if the player scores an upset then the guards all get called away to break legs for the bookies, or getting the car to the winners circle let's you sneak the loot onto it for your escape plan, or something like that. Not sure how to do that within the context of BitD.

Edit: Maybe something something vip lounge.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I've started up another Band of Blades campaign with some new people. Trying out Breaker instead of Render and the themes in her army focus around deception and the supernatural. One thing I realized I'm not really sure how to play out mechanically is an NPC lying to the players.

Say a group of Hexed villagers come across the squad and they just totally lie about whats going on (because they're all being dominated by a hidden shadow witch somewhere). I can make things seem suspicious and a player might say I want to try and tell if they're lying. Research would be the best ability to use here but maybe they try and argue a different one. That part doesn't matter much but what I have a hard time coming up with is position/effect here, and what exactly could happen if the players would receive a consequence.

One of the main principles in the book is to not directly deceive your players. To tell them how it is and to telegraph danger before a roll. It seems like having the villagers immediately turn on the players and apply harm as a consequence would be way off base and not expected at all. Not to mention it's not useful to have figured out they're lying by immediately taking damage from them. What could be a good consequence of a roll here (especially if successful on a 4 - 5 and not just an outright failure)? It's hard to telegraph danger when I'm also trying to play up enemies intentionally deceiving the players.

Should this just be handled as a fortune roll instead? No potential of consequences even though they are in a risky spot.

Trying to directly tie in themes of deception and not being able to believe what you see is very difficult for me to think of how to apply the game mechanics towards it. Could really use some help from people who've run FitD games before.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They are able to let you know that something is very wrong, but you can't quite tell the fact from the fiction?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean it really depends on what the lie is. I'd usually have a consequence like that advance a clock. For instance a mission might be that a member of one of your squads went missing while on patrol last night near this village, they're currently being held in a barn while being corrupted by shadow witches so they can return to camp as an infiltrator. Failing to see through the villagers lies about this would put ticks on a clock for that squad member to turn up unharmed and happy to return to camp with no one the wiser. Succeeding with consequences is just basically seeing through the lies taking time and without any conclusive smoking gun, so the plot still progresses, but your characters now have a lead about the barn. Controlled/Standard would be my starting pos/effect for that sort of roll.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 29, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean it really depends on what the lie is. I'd usually have a consequence like that advance a clock. For instance a mission might be that a member of one of your squads went missing while on patrol last night near this village, they're currently being held in a barn while being corrupted by shadow witches so they can return to camp as an infiltrator. Failing to see through the villagers lies about this would put ticks on a clock for that squad member to turn up unharmed and happy to return to camp with no one the wiser. Succeeding with consequences is just basically seeing through the lies taking time and without any conclusive smoking gun, so the plot still progresses, but your characters now have a lead about the barn. Controlled/Standard would be my starting pos/effect for that sort of roll.

That's a pretty good example. I suppose just thinking about the situation in a vacuum doesn't really work since there's usually a lot more going on that I can draw consequences from.

So in your case here, would the players know that the clock is for the soldier to return (having now been turned)? Or would the players not even see this clock?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 29, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question folks, but has anyone "relocated" blades?

By which I mean keeping the mechanics the same but having the setting move from the darkness of Duskvol into another setting? I am not sure if I want to try, but I have had a few ideas about making something and was wondering if there were any examples? Mostly I just keep finding ones where the mechanics have been radically altered instead.

I have my Kickstarted copy of Eat Trash, Be Free right here ! It's a zine-sized BitD supplement whre you play gangs of animals in suburbia. The book is all factions, locations, and personalities; for rules you just play BitD but with animals. Some small modifications apply, and don't tell me a raccoon wouldn't pull a knife over the dumpster behind a restaurant. I like it, thre's a lot of stuff here you can use in your game.

It's on Itch,
https://dastardlydave.itch.io/eat-trash-be-free

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That's a pretty good example. I suppose just thinking about the situation in a vacuum doesn't really work since there's usually a lot more going on that I can draw consequences from.

So in your case here, would the players know that the clock is for the soldier to return (having now been turned)? Or would the players not even see this clock?

I'd let them know, engaging in dramatic irony with your players is half the fun.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'm quite new to running games that aren't your typical D&D and such and was wondering if I'd gone about planning a kind of chain of cases right for a Scum and Villainy campaign my group are interested in trying.

The overarching big mission for the crew is finding a lost treasure ship before some rivals do, but at first they don't have its exact location or information about how to get to the treasure on board. So my plan was to give plot hook nudges to a series of smaller heists/capers/missions that will give them the pieces they need to get to the treasure.

This will boil down to:

- Visiting the last known location of someone who served on the ship, and finding out that its exact location is stored on a supercomputer in the Admiralty building (leading to a Mission Impossible style heist to get the files off the computer somehow).
- Finding out the ship's captain is alive, but laying low somewhere - and he knows the secret of why the vessel is lost (and how to get aboard it safely). This leads to a mission to get to a distant frontier colony, and run an alien blockade to get supplies to the colonists and build their trust.
- With all the pieces in hand, the crew now need to get to the lost treasure ship, board it and find the treasure - likely (depending on how they fared in the first two parts) with some level of time pressure and hostile opposition both from their rival pirate crew and maybe from the military or other treasure hunters if they piss off too many people trying to steal the co-ordinates or fail to be careful in discussing their plans.

Are those the sorts of adventures that S&V is suited for? I sort of envisage it being like a mini-arc of a show like The Mandalorian with a setup "we need to find someone who can tell us where the treasure is", a complication "we need to extract an asset vital to the plan from hostile territory" and a climax "our enemies are after the same thing and there's a showdown over the treasure."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've started up another Band of Blades campaign with some new people. Trying out Breaker instead of Render and the themes in her army focus around deception and the supernatural. One thing I realized I'm not really sure how to play out mechanically is an NPC lying to the players.

Say a group of Hexed villagers come across the squad and they just totally lie about whats going on (because they're all being dominated by a hidden shadow witch somewhere). I can make things seem suspicious and a player might say I want to try and tell if they're lying. Research would be the best ability to use here but maybe they try and argue a different one. That part doesn't matter much but what I have a hard time coming up with is position/effect here, and what exactly could happen if the players would receive a consequence.

One of the main principles in the book is to not directly deceive your players. To tell them how it is and to telegraph danger before a roll. It seems like having the villagers immediately turn on the players and apply harm as a consequence would be way off base and not expected at all. Not to mention it's not useful to have figured out they're lying by immediately taking damage from them. What could be a good consequence of a roll here (especially if successful on a 4 - 5 and not just an outright failure)? It's hard to telegraph danger when I'm also trying to play up enemies intentionally deceiving the players.

Should this just be handled as a fortune roll instead? No potential of consequences even though they are in a risky spot.

Trying to directly tie in themes of deception and not being able to believe what you see is very difficult for me to think of how to apply the game mechanics towards it. Could really use some help from people who've run FitD games before.
Fortune rolls make sense, or since this is a storytelling game let the players know and remind folks not used to the format this is a bit different than a traditional play to win game like d&d
Like the way to frame it is the writing room always knows when a character is being set up, and there's plenty of times the audience sees the protagonists are walking into a trap but the characters don't know yet.
Like for example in the BitD game I'm in last session another sneaky character knew there were armed thugs waiting in ambush in the area they were supposed to meet two others, so went aborted and ducked out of the meeting place. My character and another didn't know this.
The 'optimal' strategy would have been to have hesitated or made an excuse for why we didn't meet her there. But it made for a more compelling scene for my character to open the door and for hidden assailants to shoot at the two PCs who fell into the ambush

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 30, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Like has been brought up you can even still keep the surprise factor by not showing the players what specific danger and betrayal is waiting for them, but let them know something is up.
Another big reason you're not supposed to lie or trick players in a lot of tabletop games is because there's a ton of choices they make that their characters probably wouldn't for the sake of pushing the story forward and it just feels like a cop out to say "You fools! You should have known not to trust a shady stranger who approaches you in a tavern with a story of treasure in a hidden dungeon!" And only leads to the next adventure being 10 foot poll, sense motives, and detect evil bonanza

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 30, 2021

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

You can also just hard cut straight to the betrayal even if it happens a some time later. Or if the consequence is something smaller, just "you don't notice it at the time, but..." and then consequence.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

admanb posted:

You can also just hard cut straight to the betrayal even if it happens a some time later. Or if the consequence is something smaller, just "you don't notice it at the time, but..." and then consequence.

Oh yeah, no need to even set it up ahead of time just the story explanation as to why they're dealing with the latest bad thing is "several days ago you were given directions by refugees... it turns out" rather than having them RP out that interaction 3 sessions ago.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

All this is super helpful, thank you!

The group I'm playing with is more used to D&D games than this. Though we've played some PbtA games in the past. For me as a GM though I've enjoyed Band of Blades more than any other campaign or game system I've run before.

I think trying to get everyone on board with the co-op story writing aspect of it and getting the notion of "winning" or "losing" out of their heads is probably the most important step

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
https://loverdrive.itch.io/swords-under-the-sun

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So I've finally finished printing and painting the models we're gonna use for this next in person game (whenever that is). Since I got my resin printer last year I've been subscribed to some model patreons and I've found a bunch that I think fit the themes here pretty well. Decided that this Zora's gonna have a flaming hammer instead of a sword.

You can probably tell which models I started first and gradually got better as I learned some better painting techniques. Until now I haven't painted models since high school. Thought I'd post these here to show em off

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

This is very cool

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Anyone have any tips for running a Blades game with 5 people? I kind of feel like 4 is the max upper limit I can manage in order to keep everyone engaged and give everyone some time in the spotlight. This is something I kind of need to practice on but I kind of rush through consequences without giving it enough thought in order to keep the game moving. But as a result I just kind of end up with boring consequences or just defaulting to harm most of the time (which can be kind of unfair too).

I try to jot down possible consequences for rolls beforehand to offload the amount of thinking I need to do on the spot but I can't rely on them most of the times since it's really the players that determine the direction of where the narrative is going and I can't pre-think of everything.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone have any tips for running a Blades game with 5 people? I kind of feel like 4 is the max upper limit I can manage in order to keep everyone engaged and give everyone some time in the spotlight. This is something I kind of need to practice on but I kind of rush through consequences without giving it enough thought in order to keep the game moving. But as a result I just kind of end up with boring consequences or just defaulting to harm most of the time (which can be kind of unfair too).

I try to jot down possible consequences for rolls beforehand to offload the amount of thinking I need to do on the spot but I can't rely on them most of the times since it's really the players that determine the direction of where the narrative is going and I can't pre-think of everything.

My game is about 5-6 players and 1 GM, though we average 5 per session. Ask especially if during downtime anyone goes with each other and have some plot hooks happen there, since downtime otherwise tends to be everyone doing their own thing.
Also remember the failure and complications don't have to effect the person who made the roll, and along with asking "How do you react to seeing X happen, <player who has been quiet>?"
Or is your problem more your group tends to split up during scores so it's hard to even tie the actions of one to another?
I actually hadn't realized how often my group splits up until a player who was nore familiar with d&d pointed it out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There's also nothing wrong with stress or harms, but yeah I always prefer the heist starting to go pear-shaped, with or without adjusting position. So stuff like setting bad clocks for the score is nearly impossible if this clock fills up'

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Got to run my first game in a while of Blades last night over Discord, (Group of three, Smuggler Crew called The Mariners, Sniffer (Hound), Blackie (Leech) & Tick (Slide) and thoroughly enjoyed how predictably it went off the rails...

Previously, on The Mariner's Tale:

The crew started out the session debating which to support in the opening days of the 'War in Crow's Foot' between the Lampblacks and The Red Sashes. Faced with an ultimatum by their leader, Bazso Baz, the Mariners chose to side with the larger Lampblacks, in exchange for some of the Red Sashes territory upon their demise. Baz agreed, and offered them a job stealing the Red Sashes War Treasury from a wine merchant on the other side of Crow's Foot, who were due to have a pickup from the premiere gang in the area, The Crows.

Prior to the heist, Sniffer did some excellent Scouting of the area, and Blackie watched local Greycloak patrols to see what sort of timescale they could operate under. Then, led by Tick, they approached the Merchant presenting themselves as The Crow pickup, arrived early. Unfortunately this plan went awry when their story seemed suspicious to one of the three guards present, leading to Tick attempting to proposition her way into the building, but ending with a short knife fight in which she was slashed across the arm protecting herself. At this point, Blackie charged in with pistols drawn, and discharging one into the roof had the guards surrender.

A guard led Blackie into the cellar, who revealed that the locker downstairs created it's own complication - Rather than the 12 Coin worth of cash expected, there was easily 60-80 Coin worth of uncut Koce, a highly addictive drug. Realising this clearly wasn't the score they had been told, and concerned as to who this stash really belonged to, the Crew quickly loaded 16 Coin worth into their wagon, intending to make good their escape, when Blackie decided it would send a stronger message to destroy the load, and threw an incendiary bomb down the stairs, incidentally also killing two of the guards still locked down there.

The Mariners beat a hasty retreat in the chaos, and now begin to wonder what they have become involved in, and with who...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Oh wow your group just tore open the seal on murder in the first session! It took like 5 games before our first tangental death, and from there more whoopsies and messages had to be sent.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

My game is about 5-6 players and 1 GM, though we average 5 per session. Ask especially if during downtime anyone goes with each other and have some plot hooks happen there, since downtime otherwise tends to be everyone doing their own thing.
Also remember the failure and complications don't have to effect the person who made the roll, and along with asking "How do you react to seeing X happen, <player who has been quiet>?"
Or is your problem more your group tends to split up during scores so it's hard to even tie the actions of one to another?
I actually hadn't realized how often my group splits up until a player who was nore familiar with d&d pointed it out.

Thanks for these. I didn't really think about the differences between Blades games factoring in as much but we're playing Band of Blades at the moment. So downtime is mostly relegated to campaign actions though I try to throw in some hooks during back at camp scenes.

Our group doesn't split up as much but I think that's more the setting than anything. A squad of soldiers is much stronger together than split up but I really do want to push them to split in most cases since we end up devolving into group action rolls for everything. It's effective but also gets a little stale. Needing to get them to split into at least 2 groups to focus on different objectives is key, but the hard part is making that the most plausible choice.

That brings be to another question though. When do you guys call for group action rolls vs just one person leading? For a big group skirmish it seems like a no brainer to have them all roll so they can get scale on the enemy as well as just a straight up better chance to roll a 6. But say the group is trying to maneuver to a new position fast, do we group action roll this or have someone take the lead and do it themselves? I lean more into making it a group action but as I said earlier we kind of end up doing a lot of those by default and it doesn't let individuals shine in their areas of expertise as much.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That brings be to another question though. When do you guys call for group action rolls vs just one person leading?

I got extremely lucky with my Blades online group and generally, the players get to decide and the GM may or may not offer an opinion. When you have players who are actively running the session, it just flows.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thanks for these. I didn't really think about the differences between Blades games factoring in as much but we're playing Band of Blades at the moment. So downtime is mostly relegated to campaign actions though I try to throw in some hooks during back at camp scenes.

Our group doesn't split up as much but I think that's more the setting than anything. A squad of soldiers is much stronger together than split up but I really do want to push them to split in most cases since we end up devolving into group action rolls for everything. It's effective but also gets a little stale. Needing to get them to split into at least 2 groups to focus on different objectives is key, but the hard part is making that the most plausible choice.

That brings be to another question though. When do you guys call for group action rolls vs just one person leading? For a big group skirmish it seems like a no brainer to have them all roll so they can get scale on the enemy as well as just a straight up better chance to roll a 6. But say the group is trying to maneuver to a new position fast, do we group action roll this or have someone take the lead and do it themselves? I lean more into making it a group action but as I said earlier we kind of end up doing a lot of those by default and it doesn't let individuals shine in their areas of expertise as much.

If you're having trouble with spotlight I would hack a bit. I'd definitely err towards group actions more, withhold the consequences for the group action, and follow it up immediately by singling out whoever contributed most to the success, or most to the failure and require another action roll with success or failure bumping up or down the position or effect of the group roll retroactively.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I suppose it could depend on how much time and focus you want to devote to that particular obstacle. For me, it makes sense to let the players contribute individually to a huge and dramatic fight, while say Climbing The Tower can be solved pretty quickly.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The stress economy is weighted for four players. You'll want to hit a little harder than you're comfortable with to deal with that. Don't feel bad, Blades PCs are basically invincible.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Band of Blades' stress economy is definitely a bit tighter though. Especially with your additional players playing rookies who only get a single stress track before death.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you're having trouble with spotlight I would hack a bit. I'd definitely err towards group actions more, withhold the consequences for the group action, and follow it up immediately by singling out whoever contributed most to the success, or most to the failure and require another action roll with success or failure bumping up or down the position or effect of the group roll retroactively.

I like this idea, following through with whoever rolled best or worst seems like a good way to get some individual focus.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Band of Blades' stress economy is definitely a bit tighter though. Especially with your additional players playing rookies who only get a single stress track before death.

I had been originally trying to go for multiple consequences per roll just for this reason. But it felt a bit unnatural and arbitrary to have to think up extra consequences on the spot, and I noticed it was really punishing for the PCs in the campaign phase as they don't get to recover stress unless the Quartermaster has time and actions to do it.

One player had mentioned when he was maxed out on stress it felt like he shouldn't speak up or do anything anymore which is definitely not what I'm trying to encourage. They're a bit new to the system so it kind of takes a bit to pull away from D&D mentality and instead focus on cool moments and story vs worrying too much about whether your character could die. In Band of Blades specifically you're kind of expected to lose some along the way but the point is to try and make that death as cool as possible instead of hanging back forever.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I've been playing this game and enjoying it a ton. We just cleared our fourth job. As a pillar of crows descended onto the bloody docks, it was unanimously decided that 'subtle' was maybe not the best reputation for our smuggling operation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DarkAvenger211 posted:

One player had mentioned when he was maxed out on stress it felt like he shouldn't speak up or do anything anymore which is definitely not what I'm trying to encourage. They're a bit new to the system so it kind of takes a bit to pull away from D&D mentality and instead focus on cool moments and story vs worrying too much about whether your character could die. In Band of Blades specifically you're kind of expected to lose some along the way but the point is to try and make that death as cool as possible instead of hanging back forever.
Yeah and tbf it's not just a d&d mentality that leads to players holding back on stressing out. Like I frequently hold back the same way in scores if I haven't otherwise depleted every resource/trick my character has, or it doesn't feel like we'll still need something. Hell in Blades in the Dark is even more forgiving/there's the strategic urge to get a few trauma if minmaxing is something someone is prone to. It's just it really is hard to say "Ok I am giving up this character for the entire score/and also will be out of the game for the remaining hour." Something I imagine can feel even trickier if that's the character death too.

Down With People posted:

I've been playing this game and enjoying it a ton. We just cleared our fourth job. As a pillar of crows descended onto the bloody docks, it was unanimously decided that 'subtle' was maybe not the best reputation for our smuggling operation.
I do love the image of such blatant and dangerous smugglers that basically do everything in the open because interfering with them is usually too much work. No blue coat patrolman makes enough money to put their neck out and casually step on that landmine for nothing And until they eventually piss off someone bigger than them, they're not going to face consequences one would expect for being so bold.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Coolness Averted posted:

It's just it really is hard to say "Ok I am giving up this character for the entire score/and also will be out of the game for the remaining hour." Something I imagine can feel even trickier if that's the character death too.

You really shouldn't be being taken out of the next hour of play. Trauma takes you out of the current conflict, not the entire score. Once it makes sense that your crew can snap you out of your mental break, or you get enough distance between you and the action you should really be being brought back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You really shouldn't be being taken out of the next hour of play. Trauma takes you out of the current conflict, not the entire score. Once it makes sense that your crew can snap you out of your mental break, or you get enough distance between you and the action you should really be being brought back in.

Interesting, our GM has run it as the full score, with a potential "ok you can be conscious, but you're worthless for rolls or ability use and pushing the story forward," and he's really familiar with blades. Now part of this could also be just the nature of our scores tend to be ones where once folks are trauma-ing out there isn't much breathing room until the score is pretty settled, or part of how he adjusts the math for already having extra hands.
But also he's played and followed the game since test packets so there might've been harsher rules earlier or it's just a house rule for tension.
Re-reading the section on trauma-ing out I can see both interpretations holding. It specifically says "you're left for dead," and "you show back up later, with 0 stress" which could mean "you're out of the scene but can make a dramatic entrance," or "yeah you show up after the heist and recover"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 19, 2021