Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I Finally Did It! I know a lot of people are going to say "what's the point?" but one ship I've been in love with since it released is the Carrack. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pledge for one in real life so, since January I've been GRINDING my arse off to get one with aUEC & today I did it! posted:

quote:

Just got to watch every single aUEC lol pickup guns from dead NPC's so I don't have to buy more. Go to the Mining stations to get med pens half price. But most of the money did come from Xeno Threat which unfortunately people can't do anymore

quote:

Assuming the Carrack is a mid/endgame ship, 3 months grinding isn't a long period right.

Yeah this seems like something people will definitely want to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
If you buy your chariot with ingame money, does it respawn when it inevitably falls through the ground? Also lol at grinding for it 4 months, aren't there perpetual money machines in this broken tech demo?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah this seems like something people will definitely want to play

he wasted 4 months of his life. that thing can be taken away at any moment because It's An Alpha

commando in tophat posted:

If you buy your chariot with ingame money, does it respawn when it inevitably falls through the ground?

after 15-40 minutes or whatever, yes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So where does a Carrot stick in terms of end game material? 3 months seems like an awfully long time but I don't know. I don't play many mmos because I can't handle the grind really. I like things to come quick and fast when I play a game because I don't play many games and can't be asked to treat them like some kind of second job.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Yay, he can finally start exploring... uh, something. Anyway, time to take screenshots with sunset in the background or in that orb room that does nothing etc.

https://v.redd.it/bdjchzuozop61/DASH_480.mp4

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The Titanic posted:

So where does a Carrot stick in terms of end game material? 3 months seems like an awfully long time but I don't know. I don't play many mmos because I can't handle the grind really. I like things to come quick and fast when I play a game because I don't play many games and can't be asked to treat them like some kind of second job.

Good news, if you don't like the grind you can always pay it away!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you grind for months in game for your chariot you are literally stealing development funds off CI¬G and should be banned imo
New cash only please.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

it doesn't have any gameplay functionality other than carrying cars and shooting i guess (if you have people to man the turrets)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Three games of normal sensible game play to reach an endgame ship would not be that bad in itself. It took me ages to have money to buy some of the more expensive ships in Elite Dangerous. The difference is, I didn't grind. I just played casually and getting an "endgame" ship was not a goal as such.

But if you need to grind for three months in a game that has no proper game play and is broken, it doesn't sound too fun.

Ideally in a game like this there is not a progression from cheaper to expensive ships and all ships serve a purpose.

I suggest you buy and Idris just in case.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Any rumblings in SC would about the Elite Dangerous Spacelegs Alpha that dropped today?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

That doesn't sound nearly as fidelitous. No, that won't do. If the sculpture doesn't self-iridesce, that ruins the entire immersion. Go back to your Battlefield CoD 1993 or whatever, if that's the kind of creatively bankrupt slop you want to reward with your money, but I'll keep giving my money to an idea that actually matters. In fact, I'm doubling down and backing the self-iridescing sculpture at the Godly Plate of the Whale tier.

e: idk what I'm doing with cat gifs. here is one, idk. is this good?

It's not only good. It's excellent :)

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

50 grand would be life changing money for me.

It's hilarious to me as someone with terminal cancer who is tens of thousands in the hole from treatment, can't get any sort of a financial break, and we have people putting 50k into a scam game so cr can buy another yacht. Really puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

marumaru posted:

he wasted 4 months of his life. that thing can be taken away at any moment because It's An Alpha

after 15-40 minutes or whatever, yes.

The kicker is he said he was able to make money faster with the xenothreat BS. Which of course no longer exists now. Who knows what the new timeframe would take.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Famous technical mess Cyberpunk 2077 got a new patch and the patch notes are about 500 items long.
This is probably the equivalent to at least 3 years of roadmap development for noted super fidelity game Star Citizen.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
I'm a spaceman, walking around, visiting space stores, taking space taxis where all I can do is look out the window and wait, yet I am not playing Star Citizen't. How can this be? What is happening?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Actual quote from Elite Odyssey in-system chat:

"It's made by Brits, embrace the misery"

lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Is there going to be an Easy Mode in Sq42? posted:

Did CIG mention different difficulty modes for their game? Thing is, I only care for the story and overall aesthetic and don't care about combat, so... Yeah... The question is in the title.

quote:

I also asked this question of Mr Erin Roberts at CitizenCon back in 2015, bearing in mind what Chris had said in an AtV about how he didn't like games you could just blow through, he preferred games like Dark Souls.

Erin told me that the AI in Squadron 42 will adapt to the player, if the player is having difficulty your wingmen can get the main part of the mission done they are not Storm Trooper level, this would be 'easy mode' but missions would have more than one goal (Just as Freespace 1 and 2 did) and those non-pass mark goals would be up to the player to choose to attempt. Basically the idea was that unless you got killed or completely disabled you wouldn't go back to a save point.

The thing is, there is no 'do-over' like CoD for example, your first attempt at a mission determines what goes in your military service log becuase it is about the choices you make, this affects your rep with both the AI in Squadron 42 AND your rep in the PU since if you continue your Squadron 42 character into the PU post retirement your service log goes with you.

During missions you will have to make choices, you will have no-win scenarios presented to you. Let's give an example (it's just an example!). You're on Gainey assisting SAIC Trejo to capture the slavers, in an attempt to escape the slavers damage the power supply to the life support pods the slaves are being held in - you have a choice, go get the slavers kill or capture or let them go and save the slaves in the cryopods. You can't do both. The choices you make in your first run are what go in your military service log, you can repeat the combat sections of the campaign missions but only in the EA simulator, they talked about allowing these practise re-runs to be multiplayer but the main campaign missions must be solo since any choices you make have to be yours alone. That's why it was put into the game in the first place, Arena Commander and Star Marine are not simply game modules for lolz it is the in-lore military training simulator in which you - the rookie - will learn the basics. Anything you do in the simulator does not become a part of your service log.

If you wish to try the other options for parts of missions you did not attempt on the first run you will have to start th campiagn again from the very beginning with a brand new character. CIG will be selling character slots. You are not paying for a game in the standard AAA game sense, you are paying for the right to create a character and that character's story in the war against the in-lore mafia and the Vanduul.

During the campaign you will be able to pick up things that are only available in Squadron 42 - equipment, vehicles, medals, keepsakes - a foot locker of sorts. This goes with you into the PU if you carry your Squadron 42 character over into the PU. I asked Erin if we received military pay during service in Squadron 42 and would we be able to take that accrued pay into the PU, he thought about it and said - probably.

Also there are branching missions which are non-essential to winning the overall battle, these missions will open up if you complete certain parts in the main mission section, if you don't complete certain actions in the main missions you won't get offered them. You have to reach certain parts or episodes to qualify for rewrds such as th right to buy and own the F8C Lightning in the PU after you retire from the military. Any incomplete missions (and Squadron 42 has 3 main campaigns! Chapter 1, 2 and 3 all of which take place beore you retire to the PU) simply won't go on your service log and so can't be referenced by the AI in the Pu after you retire. Those side missions are also where more player rewards can be earned. There is no skill ladder, there isn't really any 'mission failed' there is good rep and bad rep. The 'game' is being specifically designed to make you want to do it all over again, and again, and again because each time you attempt it you learn something that makes it a different experience next time.

Whether any of this makes it into the final game or not I don't know, but apparently that was the original intent.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Whether any of this makes it into the final game or not I don't know, but apparently that was the original intent.

Oh, they know.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Imagine still taking something the devs said over half a decade ago as a sure thing at this point in the process...

They sure do love theorizing what the game will be/do when it someday comes out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Imagine still taking something the devs said over half a decade ago as a sure thing at this point in the process...

They sure do love theorizing what the game will be/do when it someday comes out.

I'd bet it's likely to be total bs at this point, but you never know once those pipelines kick in.

But I bet you'll have the AI that flies straight at you, gets close, and then infinitely circles you in hopes of hitting you again. Extra points if they have turrets so they can always hit you as they also circle you.

What level of AI is that?

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Ffycchi posted:

It's hilarious to me as someone with terminal cancer who is tens of thousands in the hole from treatment, can't get any sort of a financial break, and we have people putting 50k into a scam game so cr can buy another yacht. Really puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Tbh 50k on Star Citizen is amateur hour for poor people, check the Patek Philippe section on rolexforum for real happiness.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

I'd bet it's likely to be total bs at this point, but you never know once those pipelines kick in.

But I bet you'll have the AI that flies straight at you, gets close, and then infinitely circles you in hopes of hitting you again. Extra points if they have turrets so they can always hit you as they also circle you.

What level of AI is that?

I’d bet an Idris that if you asked Erin about it now you’d get a repeat of “what pvp slider”

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mr Fronts posted:

Actual quote from Elite Odyssey in-system chat:

"It's made by Brits, embrace the misery"

lol

God, we really do

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Gort posted:

God, we really do

Morrissey lives in LA now though.

Anyway, unsurprisingly the Odyssey launch has been a personal poo poo show. The download bugged out and now I can't begin it again, the launcher seems to think I've installed it and tries to run the game, with predictable consequences.

Waiting on a reply from Frontier, five hours later...

.random
May 7, 2007

Jonny Shiloh posted:

In that same amount of time you could have downloaded Star Citizen and ended up stuck inside of a wall like at least 10 times. Just sayin’.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Didn't they already say they shitcanned co-op play?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

.random posted:

In that same amount of time you could have downloaded Star Citizen and ended up stuck inside of a wall like at least 10 times. Just sayin’.

I know, or I could have woken up in my wankpod and got the train to the spaceport 15 times. Star Citizen really nails general relativity as a concept.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Morrissey lives in LA now though.

Anyway, unsurprisingly the Odyssey launch has been a personal poo poo show. The download bugged out and now I can't begin it again, the launcher seems to think I've installed it and tries to run the game, with predictable consequences.

It's an alpha!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

It's an alpha!

It really is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

It's an alpha!

That's really a pretty significant overestimation of its level of development.
It's more like an alef (𐡠) or possibly alf (𐤀).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

That's really a pretty significant overestimation of its level of development.
It's more like an alef (𐡠) or possibly alf (𐤀).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, he didn't mention the martian opera house.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Even the Alf Rap was a better song than Full BURN.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Oh my God every time I think of it I laugh.

Chris honestly thought that playing over the end credits of his magnum opus Rans Quids 98 was going to just be an absolute epic moment in gaming and not the most embarrassingly cringe poo poo to ever occur.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Even the Alf Rap was a better song than Full BURN.

Set rock to MAXIMUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

Wait, he didn't mention the martian opera house.

quote:

No problem.

I will mention that in Wing Commander Prophecy there was also a mission simulator, you could not go back in the story in that game either, unless you failed a mission and in one mission you passed it by failing to make the 'right choice' and it affected a mission later on, but every time you completed a mission it would show up as a simulated mission in the simulator whereby you did a virtual 'gun camera' re-run of the mission and you could choose to change ship and loadout - you got a score out of 100% for each mission. I played that game to death and got 100% on all missions except one where it simply wouldn't let me get more than 99%. There was one mission where you could kill or completely disable all enemies and yet it wouldn't let the mission complete, all you could do was suicide and do it the way they told you to do it.

One thing about Wing Commander Prophecy that I've not yet seen anyone make a Youtube video about is that the missions were broken up into sections, and between each section there was a player operated jump point - you could choose to do the jump points out of order in which case you had a completely different set of enemy encounters, which were very difficult to pass since you had no repair and re-arm if you did the mission sections out of order. If you failed parts of a mission you would get carpeted by the CAG for it.

So there is precedent for all the ideas Erin discussed that day.

quote:

I believe there is a reference in the early days to player use of an ejection pod and subsequent rescue where you wake up in the med bay in Squadron 42 (this is very similar to Freespace where you could give wingmen orders, and then just sit there and watch it all happen as they complete necessary milestones, or not). There is also an 'ask the dev's' type show where they specifically say that there was big discussion about where to put save points in Squadron 42, the suggestion being it was not simply a 'go down the ladder and start again 10 minutes ago' process.

While it is unavoidable that Youtubers will give spoilers about what choices appear when and what the outcomes are, CIG didn't want voluntary suicide to be a method to peek into future choices. This would seem to make sense about the over emphasis and extra care regarding game save points This is just my surmising based upon my information and reasoning.

Again there is a very early days 10FTC (2014?) where Chris talks about the players military log because he answered a question about what happens if you go into the PU before you complete Squadron 42.

There is an ask the chairman Friday episode circa early Q1 2016 or Q1 2017 with Chris Roberts and Jared Huckaby where he talks about how you get the F8C Lightning. He stated it as the player will 'earn badges' in Squadron 42 that entitle them to things they can take into the PU. Erin stated it more as the player will undertake training and be granted licenses or clearances to own and operate military grade vehicles and equipment in the PU, or have security clearances above the normal population that gave access to work or areas in the PU and rep with certain organisation. You could steal an F8C Lightning in the PU and fly it, but you can't legally buy or own and operate it in sec space unless you have that qualification in your military log or you are a Concierge level with high enough standing with the UEE that you are a Citizen of note in the PU who has a waiver from the government to allow it.

Again based upon my understanding ordinary Citizens with no service log cannot own and operate frontline military grade equipment and vehicles as a rule. The reason for granting access to former military is to allow them to remain current on front line weapons and ships in case they are recalled to service.

quote:

I think it speaks to the wider intent to make the game more involved and connected to the multiplayer. The idea that they would settle for a '4 levels of difficulty and that's all' with a standard go back and try again just doesn't fit with the level of immersion and detail that have stated they plan to implement. There is no definite 'what will there be', even my conversation with Erin could all be ancient history and not relevant by now, but we know Chris Roberts, we know he wouldn't take the easy route.

quote:

CIG allow us to let the NPCs do all the actual work while we just sit and watch, but I don't really think that will happen

This would be a 'no other choice' scenario, there are better options such as let you fail and have to do another mission to allow another route to success, a redeem yourself mission if you will - Chris has done this before. Also they could simply have you carpeted or wake up in a med bed to be told they sent out other set of service personnel who did the business. There are better choices and despite Chris's statement I'm of the opinion they will be more imaginative than standard AAA game tactics.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I still don't get how Squadron 42 is going to connect to the multiplayer since it takes place 100 years in the past. It's like that 300 year old strip club in Marrowind.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I remember playing prophecy and because it didn't have Mark Hamill in it constantly I didn't like it because the gameplay was poo poo and the movies were not good enough to make me want to see the next stupid bit.

I don't recall any kind of choices in that game for destinations but it's possible I didn't play it long enough because it wasn't good.

This is basically the definition of wing commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Why?

Why would you do this?