Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That is why they have to make up bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have read a Chinese blogger analysis that the US (the Anglo Saxon countries) went in extremely hard on the Xinjiang issue because Xinjiang is the starting point of the new Eurasia land route transportation. And this route is away from the container ship sea trade world order and doesn't go near any US military base and carriers. I can see this interpretation being true, since the Rohingya region is also a potential China BRI land route. The only BRI land route that I haven't heard any ethnic minority issue from the Anglo Saxon media is the China-Laos-Thailand railroad project. But this project is not done yet so it's possible there is "genocide" problem coming up soon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should do a reality show where a uyghur camp attendee swaps places with an ICE detainee. Trading Cages

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

expect Free Tibet to come back in style too

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1376405413319479296

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lmao

https://twitter.com/finleymorgan14/status/1376398952010895372?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

assuming it's going to get deleted:

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Mar 29, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
always good to see a bot this poorly calibrated.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good call screenshotting that. Feds have persona management software for mass-generating profiles like that

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have read a Chinese blogger analysis that the US (the Anglo Saxon countries) went in extremely hard on the Xinjiang issue because Xinjiang is the starting point of the new Eurasia land route transportation. And this route is away from the container ship sea trade world order and doesn't go near any US military base and carriers. I can see this interpretation being true, since the Rohingya region is also a potential China BRI land route. The only BRI land route that I haven't heard any ethnic minority issue from the Anglo Saxon media is the China-Laos-Thailand railroad project. But this project is not done yet so it's possible there is "genocide" problem coming up soon.

I guess that is why Biden and Johnson want to start their own BRI. Because they think its about creating an international network of genociding.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
there's so much anti-china propaganda out there that suffuses the media it's nearly impossible to break through it without laying down months of ground work outlining new world order conspiracy sounding poo poo. spent half an afternoon trying to explain this poo poo to some friends and it's so depressing how "china bad" is just baked into every argument/evidence.

so drat thankful for poo poo like radio war nerd and the gray zone and even c-spam or i think i would be even more depressed about this topic.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

crepeface posted:

there's so much anti-china propaganda out there that suffuses the media it's nearly impossible to break through it without laying down months of ground work outlining new world order conspiracy sounding poo poo. spent half an afternoon trying to explain this poo poo to some friends and it's so depressing how "china bad" is just baked into every argument/evidence.

so drat thankful for poo poo like radio war nerd and the gray zone and even c-spam or i think i would be even more depressed about this topic.

i think that's a good reason to be bearish on china throwing off american shackles. despite imperial decay america still has such an incredible amount of soft propaganda power through the fact that english is the global language for so many things, it can just disseminate what it needs and build consent with ease.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There's just gonna be another Operation Paperclip to relocate all the war criminals from the defeated/collapsed regime into comfy posts within the next superpower, same as it happened last time half a century ago. Mark my words. I bet it's already underway

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Buttigieg is brushing up on his Mandarin as we speak.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Happy Thread posted:

There's just gonna be another Operation Paperclip to relocate all the war criminals from the defeated/collapsed regime into comfy posts within the next superpower, same as it happened last time half a century ago. Mark my words. I bet it's already underway

i wish my country was communist. not for any good reasons, but so i could get an think tank / propaganda outlet cia funded job in DC to say bad things about them and make easy do nothing money

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
https://twitter.com/penaperimm/status/1376437244689580033
Lira is sinking like a stone again. Good news for me, bad news for literally everyone else in my life.
7.2 last week, 8.15 now.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 09:22 on Mar 29, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There isn’t a easy way out for Turkey at this point beyond devaluation to be honest, Erdogan already spent that cash essentially and Turkish reserves are in the red zone. Raising interest rates are rarely effective in the long term since they usually just stall the economy and construction.

Honestly, I think a lot of it is just the hangover from a decade of bad loans. Granted, I could give my interpretation of modern Turkish history etc but i think there will be have to be a “flip flop” between the religious neoliberals and the secularists.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:04 on Mar 29, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1376468108748021764

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I think a lot of it is just the hangover from a decade of bad loans. Granted, I could give my interpretation of modern Turkish history etc but i think there will be have to be a “flip flop” between the religious neoliberals and the secularists.

Can you elaborate on the flip flop?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you elaborate on the flip flop?

Previously, in 1960/1971/1980/1997, changes in government from religious liberals to secularists happened because of coups. I think AkP may just be killed at the polls this time around.

That said, it isn’t going to help the Lira and if CHP calls in the IMF, it is going to be a lost decade.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The secularists are also neolibs so I have some doubts that would help overly much. And also basically fascists, but that's just Turkey.
^^ yeah that

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/hninyadanazaw/status/1376495278849585158?s=20

https://twitter.com/Myanmar_Now_Eng/status/1376216253073776645?s=20

Myanmar's going well

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The attacks were in retaliation for the Myanmar military’s loss of a base to the KNU on Saturday. #WhatsHappeningInMyanmar

ok now i can call it a civil war?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://wokeglobaltimes.com/xinjiang has been a good source for me to get a handle on things and https://wokeglobaltimes.com/55a65cd2edac48a3869381242dc6467a is a specific address of adrian zenz in particular.

The account's a gay dude working for a consulting shop in DC so obviously he's a CIA plant or whatever but he's also one of the few people I've found online who actually speaks and reads Chinese and can do amazing things like source primary documents or compare the Chinese government's claims at two different times or across multiple platforms in different languages.

He also takes into account the different regions in Xinjiang, the different experiences of Uighers across those regions, and other mind blowing acts of basic investigation.

the bar is set so low for China reporting it's disgusting.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
it's amazing how many people will use the demographics of Urumchi as proof of anything. It was literally never a Uighur dominated city (not since they were nomads who spoke a Siberian turkish language, anyway). If it swells to 100 million Han and the population of Xinjiang province becomes 90% Han as a result, that says little of the situation in the traditional Uighur regions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Saw this float through my social media feed:

Gatestone Institute: China Grabbing Whitsun Reef: 'Sudetenland' in Slow Motion

The headline making a reference to Munich and appeasement immediately set off my alarm bells, so I open it up and the author is no one else but ur-China-watcher Gordon Chang

I decided to google "Gatestone Institute" since it was a think-tank that I'd never heard of before and even just the wikipedia is a doozy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatestone_Institute

quote:

Gatestone Institute is a far-right think tank known for publishing anti-Muslim articles. It was founded in 2008 by Nina Rosenwald, who serves as its president. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and former national security advisor, John R. Bolton, was its chairman from 2013 to March 2018. Its current chairman is Amir Taheri.

Its authors include Nonie Darwish, Alan Dershowitz, Raymond Ibrahim, Denis MacEoin, Daniel Pipes, Raheel Raza, Khaled Abu Toameh, Geert Wilders, Janusz Wójcik, Bat Ye'or, Josef Zbořil and Dexter Van Zile.

Rebekah Mercer, a billionaire heiress known for her donations to right-wing causes, was listed as a Gatestone board member in April 2017.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
real weird how this poo poo just keeps happening :thunk:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Buttigieg is brushing up on his Mandarin as we speak.

Wasn't there talk about butt being ambassador to china during the transition?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

totally cool that japan doesnt have memorials for war criminals and pray at those places annually

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Mar 29, 2021

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

How well covered is Myanmar and the protests in mainland China? Does it get much coverage in the news?

You'd think the possibility of a country on their border descending into civil war would be a bigger deal.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Myanmar is not going to descent into chaos a la Syria. This is one thing a Theravada Buddhist country is different from countries outside of Asia. In fact the 2021 protest casualty count is pretty similar to the 2007 protest, which is about 10x less death than the 1988 crack down.

The main difference between the 21 crack down and 07 crack down is you get a lot more videos coming out of the country. Its a shame that Aung San Suu Kyi is the same civilian government being stomped to the curb and she has not been able to make a different compromise with the army. I am not blaming her for the coup but I kind of wish she has better understanding of the Junta and some how cut a deal without the violence. She had to know the Army still control a lot of business sectors in the country and still had better hand of cards than her NLD party, after the election.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Myanmar is not going to descent into chaos a la Syria. This is one thing a Theravada Buddhist country is different from countries outside of Asia. In fact the 2021 protest casualty count is pretty similar to the 2007 protest, which is about 10x less death than the 1988 crack down.

The main difference between the 21 crack down and 07 crack down is you get a lot more videos coming out of the country. Its a shame that Aung San Suu Kyi is the same civilian government being stomped to the curb and she has not been able to make a different compromise with the army. I am not blaming her for the coup but I kind of wish she has better understanding of the Junta and some how cut a deal without the violence. She had to know the Army still control a lot of business sectors in the country and still had better hand of cards than her NLD party, after the election.

the Iranian revolution happened after the military killed an almost identical number of people in one day:

quote:

Black Friday (Persian: جمعه سیاه‎, romanized: Jom'e-ye Siyāh) is the name given to an incident occurring on 8 September 1978 (17 Shahrivar 1357 in the Iranian calendar) in Iran, in which at least 100 people were shot dead and 205 injured by the Pahlavi military in Jaleh Square (Persian: میدان ژاله‎, romanized: Meydān-e Jāleh) in Tehran. The deaths were described as the pivotal event in the Iranian Revolution that ended any "hope for compromise" between the protest movement and regime of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

no one thought the Irianian revolution would happen until it did. i would not underestimate the people of Myanmar so quickly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1376505668765630465?s=19

https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1376462424392441858?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

ok now i can call it a civil war?

when hasn't Myanmar been in at least a low level civil war

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The difference between Iran and Myanmar is that during the Iranian revolution the military pretty much handed the power to the cleric. The number of death was very low in world standard of successful coups. And there was a few more killings before and after the coup. I remember there was a theater fire that killed a lot of people, and different factions were using it to point fingers to each other.

Actually there is nothing alike between the Iranian revolution and the Myanmar coups, which repeated 3 times already. If you want to compare, compare Myanmar to the Thai coups.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

NYT: An Alliance of Autocracies? China Wants to Lead a New World Order.

the failing new york times posted:

President Biden wants to forge an “alliance of democracies.” China wants to make clear that it has alliances of its own.

Only days after a rancorous encounter with American officials in Alaska, China’s foreign minister joined his Russian counterpart last week to denounce Western meddling and sanctions.

He then headed to the Middle East to visit traditional American allies, including Saudi Arabia and Turkey, as well as Iran, where he signed a sweeping investment agreement on Saturday. China’s leader, Xi Jinping, reached out to Colombia one day and pledged support for North Korea on another.

Although officials denied the timing was intentional, the message clearly was. China hopes to position itself as the main challenger to an international order, led by the United States, that is generally guided by principles of democracy, respect for human rights and adherence to rule of law.

this is not an opinion piece or an editorial, but straight news. the rest of the piece goes into the (true) accusations china makes about why the US led order is hypocritical and bad, but the opening is a doozy of ideology

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol america has done more to insure the survival and proliferation of fascist dictatorships than anyone else, the main reason why the Arab world can’t transition to democracy is because of America’s local dictators.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the 100th anniversary of the CPC is starting... the flash mobs beginning...

who wants a hoodie?

also the soldiers are "militia," it's like a reserve force, and i think on college campuses function similarly to ROTC in america

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39_CvS63EFo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

My wife happens to be a writer, and has done some arts and culture articles for the Russian opposition publication Medusa, I've asked her before if she thinks the US is involved in it, all she knows is that some oligarchs fund it and she herself hasn't had much editorial medaling. And I previously read something from them that was critical of Navalny. So, maybe it's not a total spook-show, idk.
meduza has support from khodorkovsky and the UK gov i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

THS posted:

NYT: An Alliance of Autocracies? China Wants to Lead a New World Order.

this is not an opinion piece or an editorial, but straight news. the rest of the piece goes into the (true) accusations china makes about why the US led order is hypocritical and bad, but the opening is a doozy of ideology

https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1375150224432316424?s=20
https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1375150887060992001?s=20
This is pretty much the party line in the US, competition with China and the new cold war is about Democracy confronting Autocracy.