Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Started Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. I figured that since I beat KH 2 twice on Proud Mode, I could jump into Critical mode no problem, and ended up dying to the first Prologue boss. I am not looking forward to some of the later fights if this is going to be a trend.

I didn’t even think Critical does anything at that point to differentiate itself from Hard, it’s main things (that make the game harder, there’s lots that actually make it easier too) are halving HP/MP gains and 75% normal experience so it shouldn’t actually make the game harder yet but I could be wrong and they adjusted the first boss for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

copyright lawyers are dumb as poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1376525699884978179

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess to me it was only ever annoying in the way those archers in Anor Londo are annoying: really frustrating until you figure out the trick and then basically a non-issue forever after.

i always feel like a badass when i beat the archers though. after bed of chaos i'm just like "well, that's over"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been a busy weekend but I finally got to sit down with Monster Hunter Rise last night for a bit.

It seems like they're definitely focusing on action and player mobility this time around. The wirebugs are basically an on-demand (but semi-limited) resource that allows you to be way more aggro. You can use them when getting knocked down to get up more quickly, close gaps with special wire-bug abilities, or fly around with your weapon sheathed to get perfectly situated. You can't spam them infinitely but the recharge is pretty quick so they clearly intended players to be using them a lot in battles.

The doggos are also a great addition and it's quite a cool feeling when a monster runs away on foot and you can just hold a single button to mount your dog and get after it.

Overall it seems like they were interested in making a much more high-speed and active game with Rise. Really excited to dig in more.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did not have any trouble with the Anor Londo archers either. I got past them second time and the only reason it was not first, was because I accidentally jumped off the wall during my first attempt. My Souls experiences are a serious of drastic contrasts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

different weapons' silkbind attacks recover used wirebugs at variable speeds, so the Sword and Shield silkbind attack where you just jump at them and can do your big whomp'em comes back so fast. you will never not be on the monster

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Bed of Chaos is just comedy to me at this point. I've done it enough times that getting to that point is very much a "welp, here we go again" moment and it's easy enough to get back to the fight that I can laugh when a gigantic branch hand smacks me mid-air and makes me fall to my death

Weedle posted:

i always feel like a badass when i beat the archers though. after bed of chaos i'm just like "well, that's over"

I feel the same way, especially now that I'm confident enough with parrying that I can run up to the archer and parry him when his sword comes out. It feels very cool to do. Just run up, dodging all their arrows, get in the guy's face, smack his sword out of the way, and knock him off the roof.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

I did not have any trouble with the Anor Londo archers either. I got past them second time and the only reason it was not first, was because I accidentally jumped off the wall during my first attempt. My Souls experiences are a serious of drastic contrasts.
Yeah, all it really takes is sprinting in the right direction and not overthinking it, which is how I handled the Bed of Chaos as well. :shrug:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Last Celebration posted:

I didn’t even think Critical does anything at that point to differentiate itself from Hard, it’s main things (that make the game harder, there’s lots that actually make it easier too) are halving HP/MP gains and 75% normal experience so it shouldn’t actually make the game harder yet but I could be wrong and they adjusted the first boss for it.

I guess it was just rust then. I got up to Land of the Dragons before I stopped for the night and things have been a bit better.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

haveblue posted:

I really liked how you can see the outside of Lost Izalith before you find a way into it (and then modders proved the map geometry lines up)

Where!?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I thiiiiiink you could see it way in the distance in a few places at Tomb of the Giants.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5vhKGSI

This is a video of a modder playing with a tool that lets you view all of the Dark Souls map data at once, and from the outside. The Lost Izalith part is at 2:15

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I guess it was just rust then. I got up to Land of the Dragons before I stopped for the night and things have been a bit better.

I hope you enjoy your critical playthrough a lot! Kingdom Hearts 2 Critical is probably one of the best ARPGs I’ve ever played; it can get a little rough very early on but you quickly get so many options like summons (don’t try to do special moves with them except for Genie, just let them passively help you out) and even some really good spells like reflect that make you not often notice the reduced HP.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
When are you doing your next stream, VG? I keep meaning to try and catch one but I have no idea when you're actually doing them.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Obligatum VII posted:

When are you doing your next stream, VG? I keep meaning to try and catch one but I have no idea when you're actually doing them.

Tuesday, Friday and Sunday usually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The big nut belly statue things in Lost Izalith are my favourite enemy in the game. Theyre basically harmless but there's something that cracks me up about the casual way they just levitate around, get up in your face and burp. IIRC they were just unfinished or underdeveloped or whatever but really I think the only thing they need to add to them is the Doctor Who "Weeping Angels" mechanic. Have them teleport behind the player when out of view, really freak em out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is everyone’s go-to key when faced with a “press any key” prompt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

i slam that spacebar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Any key, obviously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Still trying to find the any key button. :confused:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jay Rust posted:

Tier list:

1. NumPad Enter
2. Space Bar
3. All four arrow keys at once
4. Right Control
5. Escape

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like pressing the enter key, cause I'm gonna enter this game haha.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

left click :twisted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Slam my whole hand on the keyboard like an angry caveman

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

The power button.

Obligatum VII posted:

I am a brit so it might make time zone stuff a bit more tricky, but I stream on Tuesdays (6:30pm till whenever), Friday (7pm TW) and Sunday (2pm TW). So tomorrow I am down to do more of this ancient Indiana Jones esque temple! Hopefully get past these tremendously tall stampy T-rexes! :)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i slam that spacebar

:hai:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
cautiously depressing the A or X button or the spacebar

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1376481566231171075

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

drat sandy get your poo poo together

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

hope sandy's doing well

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
turns out sandy's been dead since 2002, only john romero can see those tweets

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the tweets are coming from inside the house

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Romero's claim about E3M6 seems dubious since Tom Hall is not documented as having contributed to E3M6 at all (not to mention it doesn't match his style), and his levels are all present in various forms in the alphas. :raise:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Thinkin' about the dynamic boss music in Revengeance and how much that owned

DMC5 also had dynamic fight music that got more hype as your style ranking changed and blasted out the chorus of the song one you got to S-rank or above

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think the boss music in Revengeance is dynamic. It's just that there's a non-vocal track and a vocal track and the vocals kick in at specific points of the fight every time. It doesn't really respond to what you do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
tomb raider legend is the good one? got 2 minutes to buy.

or was it anniversary?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

sandy are you okay? are you okay sandy?

you've been hit by

you've been hit by

a smooth romero

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For most of the fights the vocals only come in for the last phase, but for the final boss they're linked to whether Raiden is holding his sword. The boss can knock it out of his hand, and you lose vocals until you recover it. You also lose vocals when Raiden briefly takes his hands off the sword after getting it stuck in the boss during the climactic QTE

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

sandy are you okay? are you okay sandy?

you've been hit by

you've been hit by

a smooth romero

post your smoothest romeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

tomb raider legend is the good one? got 2 minutes to buy.

or was it anniversary?

last minute switched to anniversary. i think that's the one VG was praising.