Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Re: Mileage Tax and Big Trucks, that's already happening in some form due to IFTA, that's been a thing that happens now, and has been for decades so I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up.

https://keeptruckin.com/blog/everything-about-ifta

In the old days you had to buy tax stamp/stickers to put on your truck for each state you travelled in. So you wind up with a collecting on stickers on the side of the truck, and those get checked at inspection stations for compliance.

Now a days the home state of your truck collects fuel mileage taxes for every state you travelled in, also factored in is which states along your route did you fill up in.

As for a mileage based use tax for non-commercial trucks... I dunno. It might work if you ditched the existing gas tax, but I know some states where thinking of implementing it with some form of GPS tracker and I wouldn't be ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Big boat moving, a world wishes for it to halt once again

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1376525050191486978?s=19

https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The gas tax is essentially a mileage tax, except easier to collect on. It'd be trivial to extend that to electric vehicle charging stations and/or power companies.

Most of southern California was developed using induced demand as a principle for growth. The gas tax was reserved for highway expansion and it was widely considered that highway construction was free because the induced demand from a new road would pay for itself very quickly with more gas tax revenues.

It was only when environmental regulations and anti-development policies came in and raised the costs of construction that the whole system collapsed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

Big boat moving, a world wishes for it to halt once again

It's because of the dank memes, I guess?

I'm kinda happy about it moving again because lol economy etc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's because of the dank memes, I guess?

I'm kinda happy about it moving again because lol economy etc.

Correct, nobody actually wants it to get stuck again, but it was the One Big World Event that everyone could pay attention to and basically go "lol boat stuck". Everyone from regular people to thinkpiece writers all saying in unison "lol boat stuck".

The whole thing was basically like what Tiger King was in the early pandemic - something simple and stupid that everyone could just kind of look at together.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Still remains absurd as to how good the vaccines are, the CDC's own study agrees with the Israeli study that they're as great as the phase III data advertised:

https://twitter.com/bylenasun/status/1376550414255030276?s=19

quote:

Among 2,479 fully vaccinated people, just three had confirmed infections. Among 477 people who received one dose, eight infections were reported.

By comparison, among 994 people who were not vaccinated, 161 developed infections.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Correct, nobody actually wants it to get stuck again, but it was the One Big World Event that everyone could pay attention to and basically go "lol boat stuck". Everyone from regular people to thinkpiece writers all saying in unison "lol boat stuck".

The whole thing was basically like what Tiger King was in the early pandemic - something simple and stupid that everyone could just kind of look at together.

And then we had the best F1 race in ages. Good Sunday!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That looks a lot better than 90% effective in fully vaccinated people if they only got 3 infections in 2,497

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

InAndOutBrennan posted:

And then we had the best F1 race in ages. Good Sunday!

The podium was Merc RB Merc though.

Last years Italian GP would like a word with you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also the "lol boat stuck" story got so much traction because we got a window into the blue-collar workers that know way more about this poo poo than just "well I would just push the stuck boat really hard"

https://twitter.com/anasalhajji/status/1376542650678018051?s=19

Also that there are "elite salvage teams", dredging boats that can suck out 22k cubic meters of junk, and just how small the canal is when a sideways megaboat can jam it for days.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
i n f r a s t r u c t u r e

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1376547566922371073?s=20

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1376549813232222209?s=20

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

Also that there are "elite salvage teams", dredging boats that can suck out 22k cubic meters of junk

Calling your mom out of retirement I see

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
21 hours since I got my second dose trip report:

My arm loving hurts. Way worse than the first dose. I barely slept last night because I was hot and my whole body aches. Sleeping hot isn't a new thing for me and I have linen sheets that help a lot. Well, every square inch of my body feels like it's sunburned minus the heat. It felt like sleeping in burlap. My shower this morning hurt. Shampooing my hair did not feel good. My gums hurt when I brushed my teeth. All of my joints feel terrible, especially my hips and knees. I've had a baby headache since some point last night.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

The podium was Merc RB Merc though.

Last years Italian GP would like a word with you.
poo poo, the Sakhir GP at Bahrain last year was amazing as well

Apparently Checo likes to do it the hard way

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

Random question - have you taken any tylenol/ibuprofen/naproxen to knock out some of this stuff?

A lot of this sounds like the usual stuff - vaccine response causing inflammation everywhere like it's supposed to, but I'm wondering if the OTC stuff could knock that down. My dad got the arm soreness (first dose), mom got the full-body fuckup and fever that hilariously broke completely after 36 hours, and I'm hoping I can chase that poo poo with the OTC stuff. And the OTC stuff is more or less approved! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect/after.html

piL posted:

how dare you, she sucks out cubic yards, she doesn't use those commie numbers

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

Jesus Christ :lol:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

fknlo posted:

My arm loving hurts. Way worse than the first dose. I barely slept last night because I was hot and my whole body aches. Sleeping hot isn't a new thing for me and I have linen sheets that help a lot. Well, every square inch of my body feels like it's sunburned minus the heat. It felt like sleeping in burlap. My shower this morning hurt. Shampooing my hair did not feel good. My gums hurt when I brushed my teeth. All of my joints feel terrible, especially my hips and knees. I've had a baby headache since some point last night.

Well that sounds fun. Also makes me extremely happy I haven't caught this poo poo yet, I can only imagine how rough it is when it's a "real" response.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

fknlo posted:

When was the last time you talked poo poo about uncle Vladamir, comrade?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Random question - have you taken any tylenol/ibuprofen/naproxen to knock out some of this stuff?

A lot of this sounds like the usual stuff - vaccine response causing inflammation everywhere like it's supposed to, but I'm wondering if the OTC stuff could knock that down. My dad got the arm soreness (first dose), mom got the full-body fuckup and fever that hilariously broke completely after 36 hours, and I'm hoping I can chase that poo poo with the OTC stuff. And the OTC stuff is more or less approved! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect/after.html

I have not. Wasn't there some evidence that taking any of that stuff could reduce the effectiveness?

not caring here posted:

When was the last time you talked poo poo about uncle Vladamir, comrade?

Not lately enough to be honest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

fknlo posted:

I have not. Wasn't there some evidence that taking any of that stuff could reduce the effectiveness?

Not lately enough to be honest.

Taking tylenol or nsaids before your vaccine can have an effect on the overall immune response. You’re perfectly fine to take otc meds after the shot to help alleviate symptoms.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Taking tylenol or nsaids before your vaccine can have an effect on the overall immune response. You’re perfectly fine to take otc meds after the shot to help alleviate symptoms.

Well then, it's Aleve o'clock!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I hope I don't have that bad of a reaction, since I can't take nsaids or ibuprofin for like 4 more months. :(

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

The general advice right now is nothing *before* the vaccination, that's where they think it could affect effectiveness. Afterwards, it appears you can go nuts. The mRNA vaccine Phase III trial participants weren't restricted from taking OTC meds during the actual trials and they both hit 95%. Here's some info:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/cdc-safe-to-take-tylenol-or-otc-pain-medications-after-covid-vaccine.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/29/covid-19-tylenol-advil-vaccine-coronavirus-cdc-who/4290975001/

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

The exact CDC quote:

quote:

Management of post-COVID-19-vaccination symptoms

For all currently authorized COVID-19 vaccines, antipyretic or analgesic medications (e.g., acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be taken for the treatment of post-vaccination local or systemic symptoms, if medically appropriate. However, routine prophylactic administration of these medications for the purpose of preventing post-vaccination symptoms is not currently recommended, because information on the impact of such use on COVID-19 vaccine-induced antibody responses is not yet available.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Got my first shot of Moderna today!

Edit: my vaccinator said it was fine to take Tylenol if I developed any side effects

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I will be on a full regiment of water, Tylenol, and enough edibles to make me sleep all day

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
New York State just opened vaccines to 30+ (16+ on April 6th), Colorado 16+ on 2nd. I get my first chip on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1376579252624060420

Raiders fans.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 29, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got my second dose of Moderna on Thursday and was stuck in bed with a fever and aches all day Friday. It sucked but it beats getting COVID

Tylenol helped me function for a couple hours but couldn’t really keep up with regular dosing and I didn’t want to push it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

I will be on a full regiment of water, Tylenol, and enough edibles to make me sleep all day

I was in bed for 20 hours the next day after getting my second shot. I highly advise it in lieu of trying to do anything

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone get the J&J? I get in on Wednesday.
Hope I don’t die but it’s not like I do any real work.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just scheduled my first shot for two weeks out. VA out here is setting them up via text messaging.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Back on highway/transportation chat, this video just popped up and it's fantastic as a quick explainer on some issues around it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85D-FlVYeo&t=5s

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/1376553902775136261

I hope that the expanded vaccine announcement for NYS wasn’t an attempt to get ahead of this.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

They told my wife not to take anything when she got her second Moderna dose. Then again, lol military medicine.

Got my first dose this week and didn't have any side effects. Hopefully the second is the same.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fallom posted:

That looks a lot better than 90% effective in fully vaccinated people if they only got 3 infections in 2,497

The limit is exposure. They only got thirty-some infections in the unvaccinated cohort, right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crab Dad posted:

My pregnant wife got it and only had a sore arm.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah. Tired afternoon after I got it in the AM. Slept hard that night then was groggy the next day but was good enough to work. Arm was sore but not nearly as bad as typhoid or anthrax.

Some others had near-zero reaction. I only knew one guy with a proper lovely reaction but odds are decent that he also had covid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ah. I had almost no reaction to my various anthrax and flue shots these last couple years so here’s hoping I don’t get knocked the gently caress out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The limit is exposure. They only got thirty-some infections in the unvaccinated cohort, right?

front line staff are still going to be masked up with N95s, tyvek-ed up, splatter shield, gloves, booties, etc. There's as many barriers as is possible between them and their patients, so we probably won't get a real feel for how effective it is until you get enough shots into joe blow who wears a mask sometimes when it doesn't make his face itch.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Crab Dad posted:

I got mine a few weeks ago. Laid me out the next day. My wife got it at the same time and she was tired but was able to work all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

Ah. I had almost no reaction to my various anthrax and flue shots these last couple years so here’s hoping I don’t get knocked the gently caress out.

I never had any vaccine sensitivity in the past (hello full vaccine course at bootcamp) but my second Moderna shot gave me some lovely chills and cruddy feeling. Nothing some soup and 14+ hours of sleep didn't take care of, but I was surprised because generally I don't have any kind of response to shots.