Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

Woah ok imma get this

How did you of all people not know that existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultraviolence123 posted:

Alright, you all successfully talked me out of buying Six String Samurai. I always assumed it was a try hard Tarantino-type of movie, so I never watched it. Going to get some of the other titles they have coming though.

It's trying for something more like El Mariachi but misses the mark of what makes that movie cool. (The heart.)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

My favorite thing about movies that end up as cult classics is that the people making them were so convinced that they were making The Coolest poo poo Imaginable. Sometimes that enthusiasm wins you over and sometimes your reaction is “oh my god this person thought that the goofiest poo poo was cool.” It’s a thing that you can’t fake or (like Fran said) the heart of the movie isn’t there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Streets of Fire is the ultimate “everyone thought they were making something awesome but it flopped and ended up as cult” movie and I will die on this hill.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Speaking of cult films, I finally watched the DVD of Flexing With Monty that I bought recently after being reminded that the movie exists. What in the gently caress... is all I'll say for a start. It might take me a day or two to process what I just saw.

...okay, it's not that weird compared to the poo poo I've seen in all my movie-watching years. But if you're in the mood for an oddball 90's-era indie movie, it's worth a watch. I think it's definitely worthy of a proper 2K or UHD 4K release on Severin or VinSyn, much moreso than Six String Samurai. But I guess it's one of those movies where we're lucky to have even gotten a barebones DVD release.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of cult films, I finally watched the DVD of Flexing With Monty that I bought recently after being reminded that the movie exists.

I looked up this movie and yeah I'd pick up a new release of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm excited for The Ten Commandments UHD next week. It was shot in VistaVision, and the review on bluray.com is very positive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I looked up this movie and yeah I'd pick up a new release of it.

It's funny that even among people who love really weird, obscure movies it doesn't seem like anybody talks about it. I can't even remember where I first heard of it, might've been a review in an issue of Shock Cinema years ago, but I only remembered it existed because somebody posted a link to grindhousevideo.com earlier in the thread, and it was one of the sale DVDs. I bought it on a whim to check it out.

It feels like a movie designed for passing around to your friends on a bootleg VHS tape. I really want a proper blu ray release but I doubt it'll ever happen. I've seen better offbeat indie movies but it has a certain something that sticks with you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lumbermouth posted:

My favorite thing about movies that end up as cult classics is that the people making them were so convinced that they were making The Coolest poo poo Imaginable. Sometimes that enthusiasm wins you over and sometimes your reaction is “oh my god this person thought that the goofiest poo poo was cool.” It’s a thing that you can’t fake or (like Fran said) the heart of the movie isn’t there.

Miami Connection is definitely one of those movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Streets of Fire is the ultimate “everyone thought they were making something awesome but it flopped and ended up as cult” movie and I will die on this hill.

Streets of Fire loving rules, it just could rule even more. When I found out that the movie was supposed to end with Diane Lane singing Streets of Fire by Bruce Springsteen with a whole choreographed sequence, I felt like I'd been robbed of one of the greatest moments of 80s cinema. The lead's a bit of wet blanket, and doesn't follow-through with the bad-rear end posited in the scene that introduces him, but that movie is still fun as gently caress.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has Criterion said anything about doing UHDs in the future?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

How did you of all people not know that existed?

Well everything cool was 4k so I tapped out on any news on movies.

Now I got a 4k player so I can look again.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shiroc posted:

Has Criterion said anything about doing UHDs in the future?

I keep hearing rumors that it’s coming, but nothing official yet. I’d bet it’d be something in the second half of the year to capitalize on holiday shopping.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just got my copy of Dawn of the Dead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:sickos:

My buddy found a Little Shop of Horrors VHS on the sidewalk and snagged it for me not too long ago. I couldn't even find another copy of the same release listed for sale anywhere.

I love my big chunky plastic rectangle and I don't care who knows it :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

Just got my copy of Dawn of the Dead.

Check out them HD DVDs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the deluxe clamshell case worth it? Debating between it and the standard cardboard sleeve.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What? Not the two-tape Extended Cut? Hard pass!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

What? Not the two-tape Extended Cut? Hard pass!

I had that version in highschool, but you have to admit the clamshell posted above is 100x cooler.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, I love that they were just audacious enough to spoil Zombie Roger right on the cover, in no less than three pictures. And that quote from Roger Ebert is just :discourse:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Dawn of the Dead UHD owners: did they color correct just-the-blood..? it looks red now and i’m not sure how to feel about that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been itching to watch Transformers The Movie again. Unfortunately both discs on my 25th anniversary edition DVD had succumbed to some sort of digital rot last time I watched it. Luckily my original Rhino release is still alive and kicking, but does anyone know if the Blu-Ray is worth upgrading to? Or should I press my luck and hope for a 4k release?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been itching to watch Transformers The Movie again. Unfortunately both discs on my 25th anniversary edition DVD had succumbed to some sort of digital rot last time I watched it. Luckily my original Rhino release is still alive and kicking, but does anyone know if the Blu-Ray is worth upgrading to? Or should I press my luck and hope for a 4k release?

The blu-ray is good. I have the steel book, and am pretty happy with it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Nice, I'll probably snag it next payday.

Hell, if there is a UHD in the future, I could actually pull a pentuple dip on this one, since I had it on VHS as a kid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Ditto. I remember the Shout Blu-ray being a pretty significant upgrade over the DVD.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember going from my childhood VHS to the DVD and being floored at the "oh poo poo" line being added back in. Love that movie, might need to track down the blu ray myself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1376653634465857538?s=20

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

fuckin lol

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How does that even happen? Does Criterion employee one lazy dude that hits the magic-wand “auto-adjust” button and not bother to watch the end result?

That’s a pretty shocking level of incompetence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

How does that even happen? Does Criterion employee one lazy dude that hits the magic-wand “auto-adjust” button and not bother to watch the end result?

That’s a pretty shocking level of incompetence.

It's what was done under supervision by the director. So it's a George Lucas situation.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’ve been bellyaching about this for months — as far as I’m concerned, what Wong Kar-Wai has done here is pretty unjustifiable. And I’m sure Criterion’s hands are tied, but for them to present these as “restorations” is just flat-out untrue. The aspect ratio for an entire film has been digitally altered! Not even a case of reframing an open-matte print; WKW just squished it down to look like CinemaScope.

His supposed philosophical justification is even worse: they’re simultaneously his original visions AND fresh new looks because “no man steps in the same river twice.”

Honestly, glad I’ve never connected with his work, because as someone who cares a lot about film archive practices I can’t imagine how much more upset I’d be if I did.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It sucks big time. Especially considering the original Criterion edition of his movies are long out of print and only going to get much more expensive as time goes on and the original versions of these films just get lost to history.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's too bad I love wkw too much to sell the movies, opened copies of the original criterion bd are going for anywhere in the $100-$200 range already.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Wow.

By his own hand. I’m a fan of his work but haven’t upgraded from DVD yet. Guess I’ll cancel my pre-order. Those prices for the earlier releases...

:negative:

edit: awful news but thanks for posting this.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 30, 2021

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Posted this in the criterion thread but this change is just baffling:

Electronico6 posted:

In the new restored Chungking Express in the scene where Tony Leung gets handed his ex-gf note from Faye Wong instead of the sound of an airplane leaving over the slow motion footage now you have Faye Wong's Dreams cover blaring out.

lol

The song does not work at all, and it just sinks one the movie's most iconic scene. The original scene was so good that Stephen Chow put in a parody of it in a movie that he was filming when Chungking Express came out.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Glad I got the criterion BD of it before this. Also very cool to learn its worth a lot more now haha.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Grindhouse Videos Easter Carnage Sale. Arrow Video releases up to 60% off, including 4k UHDs like Tremors and Pitch Black. USA region.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That is a steal on the Shinya Tsukamoto box set, which has been very hard to come by since like August.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My Dawn of the Dead got here gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Almost Blue posted:

That is a steal on the Shinya Tsukamoto box set, which has been very hard to come by since like August.

It's the non-limited edition so if you're willing to wait it'll be five bucks cheaper in future sales.