Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jimquisition - Why Is YouTube Still Letting That Liar Attack My Channel?

https://youtu.be/wnFioJIjauc

Jacob Geller - The Golem and the Jewish Superhero

https://youtu.be/pUBVSH6hBvY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't feel any empathy for Notch frying his brain so he's indistinguishable from a NEET living in his parents' basement specifically because he has functionally unlimited money.

I mean, I've got empathy for notch. I understand how painful it can be for long time friendships to end, and what being lonely is like. everyone he worked with at mojang hated him now, and that probably legitimately hurts.

What I don't have is even one shred of sympathy, because if he ever bothered to try to shut his useless nazi mouth for like a second he might have anyone to share his billions with, and that's funny as poo poo. Understanding exactly how painful it is absolutely makes it even funnier

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

egg tats posted:

I mean, I've got empathy for notch. I understand how painful it can be for long time friendships to end, and what being lonely is like. everyone he worked with at mojang hated him now, and that probably legitimately hurts.

What I don't have is even one shred of sympathy, because if he ever bothered to try to shut his useless nazi mouth for like a second he might have anyone to share his billions with, and that's funny as poo poo. Understanding exactly how painful it is absolutely makes it even funnier

exactly. the dude has more money then my entire extended family times 10 and he just spends all day crying about "wokes" or some poo poo on twitter. like fucker, you have money for excotic pets and parties every day for years and could probably get a ton of sex and relationships too if you weren't such a miserable gently caress.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

egg tats posted:

Mate the shape of his head is hosed, every day it learns further and further to the right along with his nazi beliefs

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is amazing how no tech millionaire seems to get that you're supposed to bankroll all your friends getting 7k do nothing jobs to keep them hanging out with you, after you get rich. Then again it's plausible notch never had real friends, only people who tolerated him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

egg tats posted:

everyone he worked with at mojang hated him now, and that probably legitimately hurts.

And that's because he only gave who the CFO a huge payday. I don't have empathy because I would've given everyone in the company enough of a share that they'd never have to care about money again.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

exactly. the dude has more money then my entire extended family times 10 and he just spends all day crying about "wokes" or some poo poo on twitter. like fucker, you have money for excotic pets and parties every day for years and could probably get a ton of sex and relationships too if you weren't such a miserable gently caress.

If I had notch money I would have my own private movie theater my own arcade and pimball collection and every video game and transformer figure ever created and 1000000000000000000000 lego to build to my hearts content. I sure as hell would not be on twitter anymore lol

But what does Notch do with it? Buy a ton of candy that goes bad because he has no one to eat it all with since he's such a sad sack of crap so he just whines on Twitter all day about the big mean essjaydubyas. What a pathetic waste. Some people are always and will always be miserable because of their own lovely views and outlook on life.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dude could build a personal aviary and filled it with the most exotic birds and instead chooses to get mad online every single day and that's a balm to my soul

also I just checked and he reactivated his twitter. couldn't even do that right.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Never forget the candy wall.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's that and the image of him sitting on his yacht getting red, mad and possibly nude online getting yelled at on a reddit AMA. And it's like...just log off and enjoy your obscene wealth. Jesus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

And that's because he only gave who the CFO a huge payday. I don't have empathy because I would've given everyone in the company enough of a share that they'd never have to care about money again.

Yeah, gently caress it, we're all rich. rear end in a top hat couldn't event do that lol.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Remember that AGDQ where someone donated 10k, and everyone started cheering, and then the announcer said it was Notch, and the cheers died out immediately? :lol:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ariong posted:

Remember that AGDQ where someone donated 10k, and everyone started cheering, and then the announcer said it was Notch, and the cheers died out immediately? :lol:

Holy poo poo thats brutal :vince:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, gently caress it, we're all rich. rear end in a top hat couldn't event do that lol.

Something I always forget is even before the buyout he must've already been "can't run out of money ever" rich. So it's even more absurd than it first appears.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ariong posted:

I remember AGDQ trying their best to kind of make it not sound like a huge insult to him, but he stopped donating after that.

Plus it was pointed out soon after while that’s a lot for the average person it’s pennies to him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you've got ~$5K in your bank account and you donate $5 to AGDQ, you've donated 0.1% of your total wealth. And based on a lot of the donation messages, many have a lot less than $5K kicking around.

Notch donating $10,000 of his roughly $1.7B is 0.00058% of his total wealth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I still hate that Age of Wonders 3 is tainted with him.

At least there's mods to fix that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I remember AGDQ trying their best to kind of make it not sound like a huge insult to him, but he stopped donating after that.

Plus it was pointed out soon after while that’s a lot for the average person it’s pennies to him.

Imho, he should have continued spite donating twice as much and regularly, both because it's pennies to him and to redistribute money away from him

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNi-0uqcEx4

here's the clip for anyone looking for a lil monday afternoon schadenfreude

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Aug Lives Matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwi8Im95pE

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Before Notch went full alt-right, he actually did some of the thing you guys might think an online billionaire would do. He hung out in some of the twitch streams I did, donated a ton of money, flew the streamers out to his home or flew out to them.

I don't know if he still does this but with a different crowd or what

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

Before Notch went full alt-right, he actually did some of the thing you guys might think an online billionaire would do. He hung out in some of the twitch streams I did, donated a ton of money, flew the streamers out to his home or flew out to them.

Probably now it's the nazi ones who got kicked off twitch for saying the n-word. We're lucky he's a terminally online manchild, as if he were a committed fascist instead of the shitpost kind, he could be funding reactionary groups and insurgents around the world like the Mercers and Peter Thiel probably do.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jackofarcades posted:

Its almost hard to remember but there was a time when he seemed like a halfway decent character.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

No.1 Special posted:

Jacob Geller - The Golem and the Jewish Superhero

https://youtu.be/pUBVSH6hBvY

This video rules watch it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Its almost hard to remember but there was a time when he seemed like a halfway decent character.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Hate robs a person of their humanity

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I forget where I read it but there was a really interesting post I saw years back from somebody who worked as an aide for a variety of rich people, and broke out how once you hit certain dollar amounts life and spending habits just completely change. And I think it was around a billion where they were all "at this level of wealth you basically cannot have normal interactions or relationships because everything is about your money. Also you stop hearing the word 'no' because you're probably paying to surround yourself with people who are always going to suck your dick no matter what."

I've got zero sympathy for Notch or anybody with that level of obscene wealth, but I can see how it breaks ones brain. Particularly if you suddenly come into that level of wealth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

jackofarcades posted:

He's basically got no one except the parasocial sycophants on twitter. He burned his bridges with former friends at Mojang and quickly realized he doesn't fit in with the rich Beverly Hills types he tried to be part of since he's an awkward nerd and not someone raised in money.

At one time he probably could've at least thrown himself into the philanthropist crowd but he pissed that away too.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think they did a study where the level of wealth where people are most happy is roughly in the 80 to 130 a year (in pounds I think) range. The kind of money where you don't really ever have to worry and you can afford some luxuries, a nice house and holidays but are certainly not buying multiple boats or whatever. Anything above that just begins to make you more miserable. I do think with the crazy wealthy people like Hedge Fund managers it's an addiction, they don't even think in terms of what they can use the money to buy, they just like to see the number go up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I do wonder if Notch didn't get lovebombed by alt-right types after becoming alienated from regular human life.

Sydin posted:

I forget where I read it but there was a really interesting post I saw years back from somebody who worked as an aide for a variety of rich people, and broke out how once you hit certain dollar amounts life and spending habits just completely change. And I think it was around a billion where they were all "at this level of wealth you basically cannot have normal interactions or relationships because everything is about your money. Also you stop hearing the word 'no' because you're probably paying to surround yourself with people who are always going to suck your dick no matter what."

I've got zero sympathy for Notch or anybody with that level of obscene wealth, but I can see how it breaks ones brain. Particularly if you suddenly come into that level of wealth.

I saw someone post that here in SA, actually. Can't remember where, might've been here even.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I found Nerrel through Super Eyepatch Wolf and I really like the videos that breakdown motion controls and the gaming public's reception to it.

The original video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=binPB4YbWmM

Addressing responses to the video above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0xDRkC8LI

His most recent video that's slightly touches on motion by exploring Star Fox Zero and the Wii U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxxxsmIEolI

I mostly liked them because it justifies the hundreds of hours I poured into the CoD Wii ports

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

when I was much younger, and played the first Minecraft release, I loved reading his blogs. he gave some cool insights to how he was building the game, and he had some fun proof of concept gamejam games I would mess around with. I can't say I looked up to him, exactly, but I definitely did want to be a programmer like him.

was very weird when, years after I payed attention to Minecraft or Notch, I noticed he was very widely hated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

He's basically got no one except the parasocial sycophants on twitter. He burned his bridges with former friends at Mojang and quickly realized he doesn't fit in with the rich Beverly Hills types he tried to be part of since he's an awkward nerd and not someone raised in money.

Didn't he try to throw parties and nobody came? I mean, I wouldn't go to a party at Notch's, especially if I had the money his neighbors do. I'd just ride my solid gold rhino around the back yard or something.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Sydin posted:

Dias posted:

I saw someone post that here in SA, actually. Can't remember where, might've been here even.
Is this what you guys are talking about?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's the one I was thinking about, yeah. A billion dollars is a Lovecraftian amount of money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah, thanks. I think that post goes off the rails at some points but it does a good job of putting in perspective just how much loving money a billion dollars is and how it just fundamentally changes how you live and how others interact with you, even friends and family.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The point about how it literally buys you extra time stuck with me. Never having to make appointments and being able to just bend other peoples' schedules without even having to ask.

My sister is pretty well off, somewhere middle class to upper middle class, and she ran into it when she was talking to her boss about trips to Disneyworld. She lurks on mom forums and stalks Disney stuff to find out how to get into cool things at Disney and which ones you have to call into months in advance. He waltzs in and just tells the (well-tipped) concierge at the resort that his daughter would like to go to the princess breakfast or character thing X and she gets in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The one that blew my mind was.. I think it's called boutique medicine. We're back to doctors making house calls except it costs a fortune and also the level of care you get is ridiculous.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The one that blew my mind was.. I think it's called boutique medicine. We're back to doctors making house calls except it costs a fortune and also the level of care you get is ridiculous.

As seen and somewhat glorified on the beloved show, Royal Pains :). I'm actually surprised there haven't been more deep dives on that era of USA Network television. It was a huge thing for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Concierge medicine, I think is also a term. I also know it from Royal Pains.