Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm in the same boat. I do enjoy the idea of little mechanical bits and bobs that help sell the conceit that you're hunting monsters in the wilderness and need to prepare, bring the right tools, know their habits and so on rather than this being another action game looter-booper, but many of the older mechanics were annoying. I do miss the scoutflies and tracks system though. Just having psychoserum active all the time from second zero feels a bit weak. Game is still awesome though.

Oh yeah absolutely, I'm loving the game so far, and I think on the whole the QoL changes in this game are for the better. That doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I had to wave at a balloon to spot the monster for me, though.

Also it's worth noting I skipped MHW (wanted to play it on PC and then found out my PC couldn't handle it) so any changes from MHGU are completely new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone tried Rampage with randos? What kind of experience is that like?

Wild but pretty fun. At least in LR it doesn't take a ton of coordination, so you mostly just have four dorks running around shooting ballistas and hoping for the best. Much, much more fun than doing a rampage quest solo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

uPen posted:

How do you unlock the 3rd switch skill slot? I've got the early one you get, the one you get from crafting but not the one where you get a quest for every weapon. I'm 6* Village and 2* Hub, do I need to increase my hub rank?

Hub 4-6 is where the third switch skills are in

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm so upset that i have to wait until hub 6 to do slam dunk SAEDs

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hub 4-6 is where the third switch skills are in

Guess I'm doing those catch-up quests, :rip:.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

beer gas canister posted:

I do like opening a fight by jumping off of my already airborne palamute. It's solid way to land a head or tail shot right off the bat.

Or to do the Dual Blade spin down the monster's back :black101:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ciaphas posted:

This is more or less why I was asking the original question - I suck at getting the position right when I try to gotcha-bitch a monster like that, and not for lack of trying. So I figure instead I'd do what I do on every other weapon: stay in close, get whatever attacks I can until a real opportunity shows, THEN go for TCS (either by 3 charge attacks or by tackle-cancelling as time-appropriate). Which is why I asked what GS attacks are appropriate when time is limited

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Either way the answer is that doing a regular old draw attack, sheathe, and repeat combo adds up more quickly than you'd think. Consistent damage trumps going for the big gamble and failing repeatedly.

Alternatively, use the L+X wirebug while running around and go for aerial charges. It's a good way to close the gap and if you miss or overshoot it's fine since your weapon isn't out anyway. The aerial charge is stupidly fast.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I thought I would hate magnamalo but he's WAY more fun to fight than nergigante was, this guy rules. i have also learned there's no hit too big to absorb with glance's wirebug block and you can combo out of it with a quick WS or a full burst and it sharpens your poo poo too. god this weapon is so good in rise holy poo poo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I do like opening a fight by jumping off of my already airborne palamute. It's solid way to land a head or tail shot right off the bat.

Same. It feels very thematic to sneak up on a monster, yoshi-hop off my doggo, and X+A pound the monster's dome as an opener.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Same. It feels very thematic to sneak up on a monster, yoshi-hop off my doggo, and X+A pound the monster's dome as an opener.

My only two complaints about insect glaive are:

- The coolest move is locked behind high-rank hub quests so I don't have it yet, and

- It's less fun to start a hunt with a jumping attack off the palamute's back because my attacks suck until I gather extracts :smith:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you poison something once in a fight i.e. its mouth gets purple frothy, can you poison it again when that effect wears off? Same question with sleep/exhaust/etc coatings, are those effects once per fight or can I keep sleeping things?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

My only two complaints about insect glaive are:

- The coolest move is locked behind high-rank hub quests so I don't have it yet, and

- It's less fun to start a hunt with a jumping attack off the palamute's back because my attacks suck until I gather extracts :smith:

The Church of Doot's doors are open to you whenever you are ready. :)

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

If you poison something once in a fight i.e. its mouth gets purple frothy, can you poison it again when that effect wears off? Same question with sleep/exhaust/etc coatings, are those effects once per fight or can I keep sleeping things?

You can! It just takes a bit longer to build up to the status each time.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Is there any way to avoid having to go into the item box to reset my inventory? It's not a big deal but re-equipping an item set is easyish to forget and takes like 8 button presses every single hunt. I would love for it to just automatically do it when I get back to town.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Reiley posted:

Status works off a threshold system where if you do X amount of status damage the effect goes off, but then the monster will gain extra resistance afterwards so you need to deal more status damage to proc the effect again.

For example you need to do 300 Poison damage the first time, but 600 the second time and so on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Finished Village last night, started HR in the hub in earnest (I got HR Hub when I was HR 3 in Village - Wound up getting the Rarity 4 Kamura Horn - wound up tearing the rest of the Village story apart like wet bread). I ran through all the switch Skill missions available to me got my upgraded Tetranadon Horn for more doot doots and I'm looking at expanding into some other weapons now.

Decided I want to give HBG a shot here - I was one warm pelt away from getting the Rank 4 Kelbi gun so I'm going to get that tonight and see about building out an armor set around it. Will probably tune it up with the Spread shot rampage skill to get normal 3/Scatter3. I was tooling around in the wiki and didn't see any armor with +spread shot on it though looking at the wiki, I'm guessing it's not in currently with the current set of armor available to us? Also since they only do a single add on slot on HBG I'm guessing tripling/quadrupling up on shields and kitting for a cozy dumb scattershot build ala World's Zinogre HBG is out? Is there a reasonably cozy build people have been liking for HBG so far?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 29, 2021

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Which is why I asked what GS attacks are appropriate when time is limited

Whatever you can get away with, basically. Level 3 TCS is the dream but not always practical, while crit draw hit and run is tedious and slow unless you're properly geared for it. Tackle is still the best defensive skill you have, but it is also a positioning and shortcut skill, so you need to master it. As it has been said already, you need to learn the monsters and position yourself proactively; if that Rathian is about to tail swing, move out of the way and try to shortcut into a TCS with some tackles around where you think her head is about to be when she lands.

Power sheathe is a great positioning tool and I fell in love with it in the demo. The adamant charge and then new attack that replaces TCS seems extremely good as well, since you can tackle, tackle into it and be mostly unkillable through the entire process.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Status works off a threshold system where if you do X amount of status damage the effect goes off, but then the monster will gain extra resistance afterwards so you need to deal more status damage to proc the effect again.

For example you need to do 300 Poison damage the first time, but 600 the second time and so on.

I don't clearly remember: does Blast work a little differently with this system? I seem to recall its threshold doesn't go up, or it doesn't go up as much, but I don't really remember.

Kyrosiris posted:

The Church of Doot's doors are open to you whenever you are ready. :)

I'm already minoring in :toot: so clearly I should be playing that a bit more often

I watched a video where someone clowned on Rathalos with a hunting horn by breakdancing under his tail swipes and it was rad as hell.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Herbotron posted:

Is there any way to avoid having to go into the item box to reset my inventory? It's not a big deal but re-equipping an item set is easyish to forget and takes like 8 button presses every single hunt. I would love for it to just automatically do it when I get back to town.

Set up a load out. Still need to use the box but it's instant.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

How tedious is coating management in this game for Bow? It's always a minor pain even though I do like the weapon. I was trying it out and was kinda eh on the silkbind skills, extra mobility and powering up your shots is neat but it's nothing as fancy as other weapons. But then I saw a video where someone wirebugged up into the air and then started doing crazy aerial shotguns and I was sold on it again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

"The way I see it, Rathalos is the baddest cat in the sky. Nothing attacks him. So why would he ever look up?"

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Just slain the horrible turkey penis monster- went in commando style with bow gun. This game is most exquisite.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How tedious is coating management in this game for Bow? It's always a minor pain even though I do like the weapon. I was trying it out and was kinda eh on the silkbind skills, extra mobility and powering up your shots is neat but it's nothing as fancy as other weapons. But then I saw a video where someone wirebugged up into the air and then started doing crazy aerial shotguns and I was sold on it again.

You get that alternate wirebug skill by talking to someone out on the porch in the hub area. That one replaces the flip-back stamina refill skill and it actually lets you silkwire monsters to ride. So far coating seems really easy, you can hold L and toggle which coating you want on deck and then press X to apply/disable it so you don't waste it when you don't have a clear shot. The bowgun's 100000 different ammo types were a bit overwhelming for me but I wanted to try a ranged character as an old PSO RAcaseal liker so the bow's mobility and simplified coating ammo felt just right.

e: Most bows can only take like 2 or 3 types of coating so you're really picking out a bow that has both the charge types you like and also the coatings you want to play with.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got to the end of village working hard today! There's just a few monsters I have yet to actually fight yet, like Tigrex, but otherwise I'm sitting pretty and prepping for high rank by taking care of all these little sidequests. Won't be long now. And man I am so jazzed about the Almudron armor. If you haven't seen it on the cats it turns them into really alien-looking robo beasts, and it's by far the coolest look for them.

I might wait until getting to high rank proper before deciding on what Heavy Bowguns I want to make. Don't want to be instantly invalidated and have my hard work nullified after all. Hopefully there's some decent early stuff you can get without working too hard for it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I have only been using hammers but I crafted enough Gunlances to try DASH BASH or whatever it’s called

Can someone explain Long vs Normal vs “shelling level” and all that. Should I just look up the best one to use and ignore the rest

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ciaphas posted:

what GS attacks are appropriate when time is limited

The only attack worth doing most of the time is charge slash. Charge it/tackle into stronger slashes as time allows but for the most part GS has one primary attack which is the draw chop.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I have only been using hammers but I crafted enough Gunlances to try DASH BASH or whatever it’s called

Can someone explain Long vs Normal vs “shelling level” and all that. Should I just look up the best one to use and ignore the rest

they're different playstyles.

long - charged shelling.
normal - do the big shell burst combo
wide - i always forget. its a shotgun tho so try to be 90 degrees to long monsters.

shelling level number higher -> damage more gooder.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
It feels so good to wirebug block with the charge blade, and seamlessly counter into chainsaw mode with your freshly filled vials.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
And for real try out the Death’s Stench set for your dog friend.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Normal has the most ammo but the weakest shots. Best for doing the slam -> full burst where you shoot all your ammo at once (this is the playstyle that works best with blast dash)

Wide has the fewest but most powerful shells. It can charge shells a level farther and gets a unique wyrmstake that does stun damage to the monster.

Long is the inbetween in both power and ammo, and gets a stronger wyvern fire

Shelling level just means how much damage your shells do, since they don’t scale with raw. Higher level = better

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Harrow posted:

I don't clearly remember: does Blast work a little differently with this system? I seem to recall its threshold doesn't go up, or it doesn't go up as much, but I don't really remember.

In World this was definitely the case. Most (all?) monsters had both a lower starting threshold and the threshold went up in smaller increments for blast compared to other statuses. e.g. World Diablos's sleep threshold started at 150 and incremented by 100, whereas its blast threshold started at 70 and incremented by 30.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do any of the hammers actually look like hammers, or are they all more like clubs? I'm going to pick my weapon almost entirely based on aesthetics.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do any of the hammers actually look like hammers, or are they all more like clubs? I'm going to pick my weapon almost entirely based on aesthetics.

More of them look like hammers than not, it's just that they have hammerheads bigger than your torso. They don't really do like a 10 lb sledge or anything.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The 100% absolute correct way to play this game, honestly.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

wroggi cowboy hat + gun hammer

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Wyrmstake is really good for GL now. And I believe long does the most damage per tick so I've been rolling with that. Plus you can now go into a stake after a charged shell, which is longs thing. Charged shell followed by holding back and A to stake.

Wirebug counter into stake is really really good. Too bad I always miss with the stake :negative:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I have wroggi hat on always and wroggi gear on my buddies :clint:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You can quick stake after almost anything, it's ridiculous. I'm waiting to really gear for Wide until i can get a few focus pieces but I have a feeling with some of the switch skills wide is going to feel really, REALLY nice. i'll miss charge blast though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

DeathSandwich posted:

More of them look like hammers than not, it's just that they have hammerheads bigger than your torso. They don't really do like a 10 lb sledge or anything.

Hunting Horns are closer to the sledgehammer or maul style, they just look like wild instruments too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quiggy posted:

Except having to actually track a monster and not just being able to see it on the minimap at the start, that's lame :colbert:

I'm kind of glad the hunter no longer has a foot fetish.

I mean, I wouldn't be too upset if that was still a mechanic, but it just felt like a bit of busy work/grind that kinda amounted to not much after a few hunts when one footprint would tell you where the monster was. The in-level tracking rank also just added for a bit of additional confusion when some players would be seeing the "ready to capture" indicator but others wouldn't. Relegating the system to "fight the monster once to make it labeled on the map" seems fine.

Seems like it helps for multiplayer too.

TaurusOxford posted:

I am here to sell ALL Great Sword users on the Rage Slash:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1376618262637604866
What's this now? Lets you turn around your charge?