Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

edit: whatever, ive got better things to do with my life than argue with persona fans who pinpoint target your biggest irl fears cause you said a jrpg might have bad writing

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, being able to swap around party members' skills is a fantastic addition in Strikers and I really hope it comes back in future mainline Persona games. They can already only have one Persona at a time anyway, there's not a ton of reason to clamp down on their versatility by making it really hard to adjust what skills they have.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't read the initial post as being this accusatory, but I'll lay down a blanket statement here: don't make assumptions about other peoples' real-life beliefs and experiences because of their thoughts about a video game. Even if you don't mean it to be hostile, it can come off that way.

Endorph posted:

edit: whatever, ive got better things to do with my life than argue with persona fans who pinpoint target your biggest irl fears cause you said a jrpg might have bad writing

I don't think that's what anyone was trying to do? Maybe I'm too generous with how I read posts but I don't really read Badger of Basra's post that way. I guess I can't speak for them, but it didn't seem that accusatory to me.

I'm sorry if any of my posts felt that targeted, for what it's worth.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they literally said 'it can *only* be read as anti-therapy if you're anti-therapy'

i said i read it as antitherapy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fine take away the preconceived bias bit, what im trying to say is that it's a strangely uncharitable reading that comes off as unsupported by the actual narrative

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's fair, and on a re-read I do think it's a bad way to argue and can come off as hostile.

Just like I'd warn someone to cool it if they were making assumptions about a person's real-life political beliefs based on their thoughts about a game, the same goes for any other beliefs. People can read games in different ways and we're all free to disagree, let's just be careful not to get personal when we do. I'm not going to probate anyone right now or anything, but just as a general rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

fine take away the preconceived bias bit, what im trying to say is that it's a strangely uncharitable reading that comes off as unsupported by the actual narrative
yeah im very uncharitable to p5, thats a totally fair thing to say. i dont trust the writers of noted video game persona 5 at all.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

I think it's more likely that he's expressing his opinion in a discussion under the assumption that people who disagreed would explain why. :shrug:

I have no horse in this race but when you come out strong other people are going to tend to do that too.

Harrow posted:

That's fair, and on a re-read I do think it's a bad way to argue and can come off as hostile.

Just like I'd warn someone to cool it if they were making assumptions about a person's real-life political beliefs based on their thoughts about a game, the same goes for any other beliefs. People can read games in different ways and we're all free to disagree, let's just be careful not to get personal when we do. I'm not going to probate anyone right now or anything, but just as a general rule.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I think if someone was like "Man this Senator Armstrong guy has some really good ideas" about metal gear rising, I'd assume something about their politics.

Since in P5R the final antagonist is a guy who thinks the best way to go about dealing with emotional pain is to avoid it instead of working through it, I do find it strange that someone would assume that's an anti-therapy message. I don't think it's a guaranteed thing or anything; In the inverse, I've had basically zero success with therapy and don't think it's anti-therapy, but it seems like a fair assumption to make.

Saying "I feel like the only way you could see it as X is if you are X" is coming off strong, but it's not the same thing as saying "If you seeing it as X, you ARE x." The first one is working off of the speaker (well, writer's) assumption but not telling anyone they are the that.

I dunno though. I'm literally autistic and some of the subtleties of conversation can be lost on me. It just feels needlessly hostile. :shrug:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 29, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

yeah im very uncharitable to p5, thats a totally fair thing to say. i dont trust the writers of noted video game persona 5 at all.

yeah what i was getting at was that it came off as "i think the writers will gently caress this up so this should be read in the least charitable possible interpretation", and i think that interpretation makes no sense. i dont mean to imply anything re: your views on mental health and therapy beyond what you already said

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My read is something like this: Maruki's therapy is only ever portrayed positively. It helps the characters (and some background NPCs) and seems to be a positive experience for them. Even though it later turns out that his work as a therapist was a cover for his actual goal--getting close to the Phantom Thieves for the purpose of his research--I don't think that twists the story to be anti-therapy. Ultimately, I don't think what Maruki actually does in the story works as an allegory for therapy or medication, which is why I can't really understand that reading.

While I absolutely do understand feeling uncharitable towards the Persona 5 writing team--that game has way more than its fair share of fumbles--I don't think the actual text supports an anti-therapy/anti-med reading, though it's possible there are subtleties I've missed.

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe I'm just naive, but I think if someone was like "Man this Senator Armstrong guy has some really good ideas" about metal gear rising, I'd assume something about their politics.

Okay well maybe that's fair :v:

It'd be better to say I'd probably try to nip that line of discussion in the bud before it became a full-blown political argument but yeah.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh actually I'm coming around on the previous post I made, even if I don't agree with Endorph's take and have no idea where it comes from it'd be better to just ask her why she felt that way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah also to be clear I don't at all want to stifle discussion and if there are things I missed in my reading I for sure want to hear about/talk about them, just out of interest if nothing else.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
minor spoilers i don't think the P5R narrative has much to say about the real-world worth of therapy or lack thereof, it's a fantasy/sci-fi moral dilemma where counselling is a framing device more than anything else. i certainly don't read any implication that his actions involve any allegorical message about therapy at large, or are even necessarily meant to be "evil"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

minor spoilers i don't think the P5R narrative has much to say about the real-world worth of therapy or lack thereof, it's a fantasy/sci-fi moral dilemma where counselling is a framing device more than anything else. i certainly don't read any implication that his actions involve any allegorical message about therapy at large, or are even necessarily meant to be "evil"

Yeah, this is my read as well. (bigger spoilers) It's a story about a good person with good intentions given godlike power and deciding that individuals' self-determination is less important than freedom from pain. Even then, it's a little more complicated--if he's giving people what they wish for, is that something they determined for themselves? It's a somewhat complicated philosophical dilemma played out through a fantasy story, but I don't think there's any allegory there, intended or otherwise.

If I were to criticize the execution of the story, I'd say that I wish it was a little harder to get the Phantom Thieves on board with opposing Maruki, and/or that the scenes where they awaken their third-tier Personas were less "I'm so sorry my resolve was shaken" and more just... grappling with the pain of letting go of their idealized life.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 29, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yea I agree with this. He seems like he is trying to do the right thing and just get's carried away. The Phantom Thieves themselves make clear on multiple occasions they don't think he is a bad guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair to an anti-therapy reading:

Maruki could be portrayed sympathetically and the story could still be anti-therapy. Plenty of anti-therapy/anti-med rhetoric accepts that therapists/psychologists and the people they try to help mean well, they just believe that those people are misled or delusional. If what Maruki was doing could be mapped to an allegory for therapy/medication, whether or not he's sympathetic and the characters are like "he means well but he's going too far" still wouldn't prevent it from having an anti-therapy message. It's just a story with a sympathetic antagonist.

Again, though, I don't think it is anti-therapy because of how therapy itself is portrayed and because Maruki's actions don't really read to me as an allegory either way. Just wanted to comment on that one point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately my thing is like, hes the only therapist you see and 'pain makes you stronger!!!' is a really common trope in terms of 'oh you dont need meds' or w/e

like id be more charitable if you saw kasumi going to a different therapist in the ending but even if youre more charitable to the game than i am you have to admit the game portrays therapy as something you only need when youre in a bad way and once youre 'fixed' you dont need it anymore, and in this case the fixing involved a magical jrpg adventure

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

ultimately my thing is like, hes the only therapist you see and 'pain makes you stronger!!!' is a really common trope in terms of 'oh you dont need meds' or w/e

like id be more charitable if you saw kasumi going to a different therapist in the ending but even if youre more charitable to the game than i am you have to admit the game portrays therapy as something you only need when youre in a bad way and once youre 'fixed' you dont need it anymore, and in this case the fixing involved a magical jrpg adventure

That's a fair reading.

It does get complicated, I think, when the core plot of the game involves messing around in people's heads to change how they see the world. It occurs to me that therapy is automatically going to be a clumsy topic to try to cover in a story where you can go into a magical fantasy world to forcibly alter someone's entire worldview by punching their shadow self really hard.

One reason I didn't read it that way is that the "pain makes you stronger" thing is a really common trope in stories about wish fulfillment in general, or stories about time travel where you try to undo past bad things, etc. It also seemed like the Phantom Thieves' reason for opposing him was less that--although "pain makes you stronger" definitely does come up--and more about self-determination.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 29, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually see the opposite, and it's less "pain makes you stronger" and more "processing and working through trauma is necessary for healing even if it sucks" which is less controversial

and to go on a slight tangent Maruki is more the antipsych perspective in that his view of mental health seems to be based entirely on exterior traumas and stress, and once you get rid of all that everything is fine, which tbh reminds me of the more extremist antipsych leftist positions of "actually all mental health problems are because capitalism" and that everything would be fixed if exterior stress simply were removed

but really it's more a counselling-flavored version of the popular sci-fi moral dilemma of "if you could plug everyone into an ideal VR world where they're happy forever, would that be morally ok"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in general separate from the psych stuff im just not a fan of the 'through pain... we have grown...' trope. like a lot of the time pain just makes you a more bitter, spiteful person. sometimes poo poo happens and theres no moral. and im fine with that sort of trite storytelling when its like, stuff aimed at kids, but for an m-rated game that explores a lot of heavy real world stuff including several ripped from the headlines type stories, i kind of want a bit more nuance/thought, you feel me.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

There's only been like, five pieces of media I've seen that acknowledge trauma as an ongoing thing that is never just 'dealt' with.

Honestly I hate all the changes of heart that aren't just "bad guy sees the error of his ways", especially Futaba's.

My understanding of it was that with the treasure stolen, the palace rulers suddenly realize that the thing they were obsessing over isn't actually that important, and are overcome with guilt on the idea that they've been terrible over something unimportant.

I guess for Futaba's the idea is that she can think about the time of the incident clearly and remember her mother didn't jump into traffic so much as fell? :shrug:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 29, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imo there's a difference between "pain" in the sense of pain from traumatic events, and the pain caused by having to process and heal from said trauma, and Maruki's desire to cut the latter part out re: Yoshizawa in favor of what amounts to an extended denial mechanism in particular is the problematic bit, not that he doesn't acknowledge that losing her sister made Sumire a stronger person or something

if you wanted, you could make some reading that the writers think that therapy amounts to denying the 'natural' healing process of trauma or something but I think that's excessively uncharitable, especially given how deliberately sympathetic the game is to Maruki's point of view and how it sets this up as a genuine dilemma (i.e. one with no easy solution)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Honestly I hate all the changes of heart that aren't just "bad guy sees the error of his ways", especially Futaba's.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about this while replaying the vanilla stuff for Royal. The game is really unclear on what exactly happens with Futaba. The Phantom Thieves never steal her Treasure. Instead, she awakens to her Persona inside her own Palace and poo poo goes wild from there. So did she have a real "change of heart?" I assumed not--it seemed like she has a more Persona 4-styled "accept her Shadow and try to grow from there" moment--but the game often acts like she did. It's sorta fuzzy and I don't really get how the internal logic works there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Acerbatus posted:

I guess for Futaba's the idea is that she can think about the time of the incident clearly and remember her mother didn't jump into traffic so much as fell? :shrug:

it doesn't really work but i think the idea was that the MIBs reading the fake suicide letter left such an impression on her that she wasn't able to think straight about how suspicious the whole situation was. i guess you could say that the palace was something she was put in by others, and she breaks out of it via Persona Magic but the whole thing is kind of weird and fuzzy and poorly defined

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's fair to say that Persona 5's approach to dealing with trauma is idealistic--if you wanted to be uncharitable, you could call it naive, perhaps. Though I do think an overlooked aspect is that the focus of the story is less on trauma making you a stronger person, and more about how hard it is to deal with it alone--how the characters help each other become stronger. Ultimately, characters like Futaba and Makoto are still traumatized by the loss of their parents, or Sumire by the loss of her sister, but they now have a support network they didn't have before that helps them move forward.

It's an idealistic way of looking at it, yeah. In fairness it's possible that's also an anti-therapy trope (the idea that all you really need is a support network, not a therapist) that the story stumbles into. That said, while a supportive group of friends/found family isn't a replacement for therapy by any means but I can personally attest to just how powerful it is to not have to be lonely anymore. That's probably why I'm so forgiving of the Persona games in general: that particular aspect always hits close to my heart and I think I can forgive a lot of storytelling fumbles as a result.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 29, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, I was thinking about this while replaying the vanilla stuff for Royal. The game is really unclear on what exactly happens with Futaba. The Phantom Thieves never steal her Treasure. Instead, she awakens to her Persona inside her own Palace and poo poo goes wild from there. So did she have a real "change of heart?" I assumed not--it seemed like she has a more Persona 4-styled "accept her Shadow and try to grow from there" moment--but the game often acts like she did. It's sorta fuzzy and I don't really get how the internal logic works there.
You could say that the Phantom Thieves are framing Futaba's Awakening as a change of heart due to the fact that that's the context they have for it. None of the others experience a Persona 4-style "confront your Shadow Self" Awakening, they all awaken from being pushed to the breaking point by someone else('s Shadow Self). All they know is that they went into Futaba's Palace and now Futaba's changed, so it must be a change of heart. Also, I always saw it as Futaba herself was the Treasure of Futaba's Palace.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it doesn't really work but i think the idea was that the MIBs reading the fake suicide letter left such an impression on her that she wasn't able to think straight about how suspicious the whole situation was. i guess you could say that the palace was something she was put in by others, and she breaks out of it via Persona Magic but the whole thing is kind of weird and fuzzy and poorly defined
I think it was supposed to be that, with everyone blaming her, due to the fake suicide note, she just started blaming herself. Also, IIRC Wakaba was one of the psychotic break victims (probably the first) so Shido could steal the cognitive psience research and have exclusive access to it and the Metaverse.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Now that I’ve stopped playing the game for a second I want to just mention one of my favorite parts of the main game

So the entire time I was playing P5R I kept feeling like it was very relevant to our modern political climate, presumably because Japan, like most countries, is going through a period where old people are maintaining power for longer because they can and loving over younger generations in the process, which is very explicitly one of the things the game is about. I think it might take me longer to entirely sort out what the game has to say about that, and it’s not all going to be relevant to the US, although Shido feels like any number of American politicians, his bad traits are pretty universal. I do want to shout out the scene at the end of the game where you’re going around to talk to your teammates in the Velvet Room trying to hype them back up. I mentioned it in a previous post about Ann because I felt like her scene was one of my favorite character moments in the whole game, but the one that actually hit me the hardest was Ryuji’s. He talks about how angry he is and how maybe they would have been better off not changing those hears because the people seem to have rejected them, and as someone who lives in a state where the last 5 years have seen the right wing take full control and start doing all kinds of heinous poo poo, I knew that feeling well. It sucks so much when you have to consider that people might reject what you’re working toward, and living in a place that actively votes for divisive, racist, greedy shitheads and still trying to fight for what you think is right is hard sometimes. It’s not my fault, or the fault of anyone my age or younger that we were brought into the world just as the American Happy Good Time Capital Train ran out of fuel, and there are lots of people who are trying to keep it going by feeding it the livelihoods of young people. They tell the public that it’s the best way as their maintain power and line their pockets. Ryuji’s attitude towards adults never felt over-the-top to me, he experienced first-hand their selfishness and cruelty and found a way to try and make it better. Yusuke’s touched on something similar, and I think his line “people ought to be saved, even if they frown on it” really got to the core of it. Sometimes you wonder whether people actively fighting against things that would make their lives better even deserve better in the first place. It would be very easy to say, “well fine, if you want to continue living in a world where you’re in debt and you can’t afford to live because thinking about change makes you uncomfortable, then you can keep struggling”, but that won’t bring anyone any happiness.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Omobono posted:

It doesn't. EDIT: although people obviously disagree based on posts above. I don't really agree, but those seem valid points.

The uncanny valley tarot deck is a general stylistic choice to underscore the fact that Joker has been Screwed by society at large and must band together with other in similar situations, to give returning players a general sense of unease, and (vanilla endgame spoilers) as another hint that the Wild Card supernatural support network is not being run by Igor this time.
I don't disagree with most of this. It's worth making the point that the tarot arcana aren't meant to illustrate--either in P5 or in the abstract as theurgical tools or whatever--how a person conceptualises themselves. They're meant to illustrate to the reader (Joker and/or the player in this case) a particular element of the reader's journey/life/problems/whatever.

Like Joker starts out as The Fool--an unnumbered card which (like his namesake joker card in the poker decks that borrowed it) has no fixed position. It depicts a vagabond carrying a bindle and (in P5's case) getting bit in the rear end. The parallels to Joker's situation at the start of the narrative are obvious. But that's not supposed to summarise Joker in his entirety. It's just a stage in his journey, the same as all the other major arcana. Most of the Persona games don't really gloss this directly for the player, but in P3 there's a lecture given by the school nurse that more or less spells this out explicitly. The various arcana definitely refer to and describe other people--the confidents--around Joker, but (and this is the basis for a lot of criticism of the writing) they do so predominantly in terms of how they affect Joker's story.

Hell, you could argue that P5's final major arcana--Le Monde or The World, signifying over-arching victory, wisdom, completion, and the end of one cycle beginning another--contains minor spoilers for P5S, as the central female figure on the card is generally identified as Sophia, the personification of divine wisdom.

I mean it's only a game and the writing isn't stellar. And one of the reasons people have found so much meaning in things like the tarot over the years is because they're fuzzy enough that you can read almost anything into them. So there's that. So I'm not trying to argue that P5 weaves a flawless symbolic tapestry or whatever the gently caress. But insofar as P5 is a fairly muddled narrative that gets more unfocused and muddy as it goes--and, like all the Persona games the expansions all tend to step on the interpretations suggested by the originals--given all that, the tarot symbolism is all pretty straightforward and, if anything, seems to be more internally consistent than in the prior games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I kind of skimmed through the last few pages, but I'm genuinely considering going through the arcana in the P3P female route and giving my opinions on how the links fit into it, how well they match, etc. Would anyone be interested?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I kind of skimmed through the last few pages, but I'm genuinely considering going through the arcana in the P3P female route and giving my opinions on how the links fit into it, how well they match, etc. Would anyone be interested?

I definitely would be, yeah.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I’ve had nothing to say about tarot chat but it’s really interesting and this would be cool, more effort posts please!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Harrow posted:

I definitely would be, yeah.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve had nothing to say about tarot chat but it’s really interesting and this would be cool, more effort posts please!
I was halfway to just posting it with "too bad, doing it anyways", so this is more than enough of an excuse to get into it. As a quick disclaimer, I have a lot of love for Persona 3 Portable (big surprise, I know), so I'm more than a little biased. So I'm going to try to discuss this through the lens of what I think the intent of each link was, rather than spending too much time discussing execution, and whether or not the game actually manages to make the Link land.

Huge blanket spoiler warning for Persona 3, obviously.

0 - The Fool
It's no accident that the primary campaign of Persona 3 FES is referred to as The Journey. "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" is a more literal description of Minato / Minako than it usually is, but it still primarily refers to the Fool's Journey. In this way, the Fool representing SEES, and their progress towards achieving the goal they set out for, fits well. Arguably, it's even a better fit for SEES as a whole than it would be for just Minako herself. And having the link max on December 31st, when you decide to spare Ryoji, recontextualizes the whole game. It implies, very strongly, that what the protagonist set out for when she began the journey, what she has now that she's completed it, is the will to live. One of the primary themes of Persona 3 is memento mori, 'remember death' or, more poetically, 'remember that you will die.' It's the weight that hangs over everyone's head throughout the whole game. And while The Answer makes it more explicit, I'd say the message is made right here. Memento mori isn't just the Journey, it's the Question. And by having that Journey be completed when you spare Ryoji, when you choose to fight despite the inevitability of death, answers that question. It's the other half of the phrase: Memento vivere. 'Remember life.'

December 31st changes the Fool Social Link from being just a dry, literal interpretation of the Journey into something more: Memento mori, memento vivere. 'Remember that you will die, but do not forget to live.' Even if the game isn't complete yet, even if your journey as a player isn't finished, the protagonist has completed hers.

Arcana Fit: 5/5, easily.

I - The Magician
So, let's go straight from gushing about high concepts and thematic resonance into something much more simple and literal: Junpei. More than any other card, with the possible exception of the King of Wands, the Magician most represents passion, potential, and inspiration. However, inverted, it also represents wasted potential, or unfocused energy, attention wasted by being used in no particular way. This is, as a whole, an exceptional fit for Junpei. As a character and in a vacuum, it's a perfect fit, and one that catalyzes into Trimegistus as he finally finds focus, real inspiration, and the resolve to not waste his energy on pointless things (like his clumsy and half-hearted skirt-chasing) any more.. However, as we look more at what he represents in the protagonist's journey, things get a little messier.

In the Fool's Journey, the Magician represents the material half of the call to adventure, the conscious, and the active realization of power. Junpei... doesn't really do that. In the greater frame of the story, he isn't even the first character the protagonist meets, and he has no part in the initial call to adventure. (That, in fact, comes from the Magician Shadow, which is interesting and I have no idea if it was intentional or not.) Nor does it really fit with his Social Link. It's kind of a half-hearted link that mostly exists as a background for the protagonist to have deep talks with Junpei as a character. What actually instigates the link, the mystery of the pervert taking pictures, isn't even resolved in any kind of satisfying way. The closest thing there is to a resolution is Junpei realizing he's formed a friendship with a woman as a person, rather than just a sex object, but even that's already covered by his relationship with Chidori. It's thematically unfocused, with nothing to say and no real progress made for either character.

Arcana Fit: 3/5. As a character, Junpei is absolutely the Magician, that's perfect. However, in the context of the protagonist's journey, and his Social Link, there's almost a complete disconnect. I think that averages out to a 3/5.

II - The High Priestess
Ahhh, Fuuka. Just like Junpei, she completely misses the boat on existing in the proper position in the Fool's Journey, but even moreso. By the time she joins, the adventure is already well underway, and the Empress has fulfilled her part in the story much better. And unlike Junpei, she doesn't really fit the arcana as a character, either. She's a source of information, but it's neither spiritual, nor subconscious, it's real and material, both in the game's mechanics (as a navigator) and in her own life (loving computers and technology.) Yes, she's feminine, but that could be said of almost any of the female characters, party member or otherwise (thanks, Katsura Hashino). The worst part is how much of a near miss it is. If the solution to Fuuka's cooking problem had come from her realizing she's overthinking things, getting caught up too much in what she's Supposed To Do, instead of what feels right, not only it would also provide an excellent parallel for her relationship with her parents' expectations. As is, she'd be a much better fit for the Hermit, rather than the High Priestess.

Arcana Fit: 1/5. The only way she fits the Arcana is that she's a girl who becomes a little more feminine over the course of the Link.

III - The Empress
And from a girl who doesn't fit the definition at all, we go straight into one who fits on every level. The Empress represents the spiritual and subconscious authority, as well as a more literal maternal figure. Mitsuru is the previous leader of SEES, and you could argue that she still is even after the protagonist joins and takes over the practical duties of leadership. The group sees her as an authority and, when she talks, everyone listens (even if Yukari resents her for putting herself in that position). It's not a conscious decision anyone makes, it's just how things are. She is the subconscious leader. This is only reinforced even more by her move away from navigator, a source of material and conscious knowledge, where she was functional but unspectacular. She is much more comfortable, and the party is much more effective, once she stops forcing herself into a role simply because it's what's needed.

And in her Link, she's an equally good fit. Mitsuru, under the weight of her expectations, has completely suppressed her subconscious desires and her creativity. She is what she needs to be, and what people expect her to be. Breaking off her arranged marriage but keeping her position serves as an excellent metaphor for the Empress turning from inverted to upright. She is the one in control of herself and her femininity now. Her not being able to absolutely slam dunk her independence by potentially entering a relationship of her own by choice is something that only happens with the female protagonist, which is a drat shame, but it's not enough to knock any points off (especially since the Link that we get instead ends up having some extremely powerful "just gals being pals" energy.)

Arcana Fit: 5/5.

And that is already well over 1000 words about just the game's themes and three of the characters, so I'm going to stop here for now in the name of breaking it up and not slamming the thread with a single ginormous wall of text. (Especially because I have a lot to say about Hidetoshi, as he is in my opinion the most underrated character not just in Persona 3 but in all of 3 through 5.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 30, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God it's been way too long since I've played Persona 3. And I never played the female protagonist route because I couldn't get over the PSP's presentation.

Count me as one of the people hoping for an eventual rerelease/remake that puts the female protagonist route into a more normally-structured Persona game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The game loses so much when you strip out the environments and modeled scenes, I'm very baffled by people suggesting P3P over FES if you have the choice.
The Female social links are also a total mixed bag just like the male ones, it has a rather outsized reputation on these forums

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah the male route sucks and the female route is the only good version of P3

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The male route's fine, and you don't the weird disconnect of Junpei being your best friend during your social link, then a giant pissbaby 5 minutes later.

You also can't date Ken on the male route, so points awarded on his side. You just get a different bunch of awful links.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The male route's fine, and you don't the weird disconnect of Junpei being your best friend during your social link, then a giant pissbaby 5 minutes later.

You also can't date Ken on the male route, so points awarded on his side. You just get a different bunch of awful links.

I've never actually seen the full context for the Ken thing. Is it straight up you accept his confession of a crush and reciprocate, or is it accepting with like a, try again in 10 years and you might have a chance thing?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

The game loses so much when you strip out the environments and modeled scenes, I'm very baffled by people suggesting P3P over FES if you have the choice.
The Female social links are also a total mixed bag just like the male ones, it has a rather outsized reputation on these forums

Honestly I didn't miss them much.

I do really like femc's soundtrack over male MC though, sorry mass destruction.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno, sometimes I wonder if the lack of attachment shown In these halls to P3 is created by people not being fully immersed in the environs like they would've been in FES, probably impossible to tell

The soundtrack is a total toss up, both have incredible music. Time and Not a Princess from the Female side, and Mass destruction and Chaining Seasons from the male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
p3p fem route also gets Danger Zone instead of Master of Tartarus, which is a huge upgrade. Really solid either way though.

I also liked being able to switch weapons in 3. Like, it was probably unoptimal, but I liked using the big axes on the MC. If they were good enough for Shinji, they're good enough for me. Her Naginata was a good choice though.

I also did mourn the loss of running around the city maps. The point and click just didn't click the same.