Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Anybody who is confident Watson isn't going to play again is crazy, because the only way that happens is if he spends the next 15 years in jail. He could be suspended for 5 years and he'd probably be the most sought-after 2026 free agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I guess we will see when all of the details come out but this seems like something you wouldn’t find if you weren’t specifically looking for it. I can’t really blame a journalist for not going around asking everyone they could find if Deshaun Watson is a sexual predator as part of their coverage of his support of BLM. That would raise a lot of red flags.

I'd say yeah in general, but it's a really weird disconnect or perhaps neglect that like you have the numbers of women that you do in this case, and then nothing but fawning articles in sports journalism about the guy.

And then being pretty silent about the accusations until they got so bad they had to cover them.

I mean this dead forum had way more info and analysis for weeks than what was even being reported as out there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Declan MacManus posted:

she sticks her thumb in the eye of power and doesn’t draw huge numbers of clicks. i think she’s great but ad people probably think she’s poison

I'd love to argue but every Deadspin editor has repeatedly said the most traffic they get is from non-news, non-sports silly stuff, so....yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao bet you anything he's going to play this year maybe next year if he still wants out of Houston

There have been no criminal allegations. He's not facing Jail time.

All of this will "go away"(as far as like court case wise outside of that this follows him unless he is able to successfully pull off a Kobe level rebranding) after he chooses to pay or the court force him to pay up.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The thing that should've immediately tipped people off is that he was flying in masseuses. He lives in a city of 7 million people where tons of athletes make their home, including those that don't or have never played there. There's probably no city in the country better equipped to handle the off-season needs of athletes than Houston, yet he somehow expects the public to believe that he needed to fly in women because Covid made it tough to find someone?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you aren’t seeing anything for a civil suit.

Maybe a year or two you will get a juicy comeback story about how he’s grown and its all on the past now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I imagine most evidence will be released to the police for their criminal investigation within a few months. Not exactly sure how that works in Texas. Mr. Nice talked to a few TX attorneys, maybe he will jump in

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GD_American posted:

There's no loving way he plays. The NFL will take that choice out of the Texans' hands long before then. Remember, this is the offseason. When the coverage machine starts up again in training camp, you would see volumes of IS IT A DISTRACTION takes and questions that would force the NFL to finally do something.

The only possibility is he settles all these claims before the season, and the NFL investigates and doesn't think they have merit.

ESPN week 1:

"It's nice to see Deshaun Watson out there performing well. He's gotten past all the distractions of the off-season and put that behind him. What a courageous young man. "

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I imagine most evidence will be released to the police for their criminal investigation within a few months. Not exactly sure how that works in Texas. Mr. Nice talked to a few TX attorneys, maybe he will jump in

There's more than likely not enough proof to convict in a criminal trial.

It is very hard to nail someone for criminal charges relating to this stuff if that person has money for good lawyers.

At most it raises the price of the eventual settlement.

poo poo sucks

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

pasaluki posted:

It's not malpractice it is just incompetence. They have to care enough for it to be malpractice. They were so busy writing the hagiography of Watson because he supported all their favorite causes, that they couldn't bother to actually get to know the guy.

Because of the specific method he used I just don't see how you can expect journalists to know if someone didn't tip them off

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I'm not so sure Watson will be playing any time soon. Seems like the tolerance for sexual violence against women is very different post Weinstein. 20+ victims looks really, really bad. Then again, Watson doing bizarre serial frottage crimes seems like something that could be more easily glossed over than a Darren Sharper m.o.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Real question is how does Watson's sex pestery jive with whatever Easterby is trying to cultivate in Houston?

Like imagine Easterby demanding that Watson, immediately after settling, admits it all, converts to christianity and becomes some huge jesus show horse or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know Texas crim law. I'll ask, though. Oral rape seems like it would be a no-brainer to prosecute, but I don't know what the criminal landscape actually looks like.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The commissioner's exempt list is right there as a nice convenient Sword of Damocles if no criminal charges come up, but IMO it would require enough of a rabble from sponsors threatening to pull advertising money out before Watson is suspended.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fast cars loose anus posted:

Because of the specific method he used I just don't see how you can expect journalists to know if someone didn't tip them off

Ok Devil's Advocate but why wouldn't journalists worth a poo poo have sources/people to tip them off?

With 20+ women was Watson's apparatus that well set up that nothing leaked when this was happening pretty regularly?

Like people whose whole job is to be a Texans 'insider' and they are sitting there with the same wtf expression as everyone else. Its surprising how many words they wrote about him and how little they really knew.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The NFL wants no part of a Cosby level rapist (or if you're charitable, Schrodinger's Sex Criminal) in weekly highlights. I'm as cynical as y'all about the inevitable (at least attempt at a) redemption arc, but that's at least a season or two away. If the Texans don't sit him, Goodell will.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

There's more than likely not enough proof to convict in a criminal trial.

It is very hard to nail someone for criminal charges relating to this stuff if that person has money for good lawyers.

I mean, we have absolutely no way of knowing if this is true. I agree somewhat with your statement after, especially if he's being tried in a local court (which I'd have some issue with, personally), but I'm not sure we've seen all their evidence, but literal first hand witness affidavits attesting to literal sexual assault? Maybe I'm wrong but... that'd be enough here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Android Apocalypse posted:

The commissioner's exempt list is right there as a nice convenient Sword of Damocles if no criminal charges come up, but IMO it would require enough of a rabble from sponsors threatening to pull advertising money out before Watson is suspended.

I thought the exempt list could only be used if there were criminal charges

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

pasaluki posted:

Ok Devil's Advocate but why wouldn't journalists worth a poo poo have sources/people to tip them off?

What specifically are you asking here? Are you wondering why sports journalists don’t have inroads with amateur/novice Instagram masseuses?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Like imagine Easterby demanding that Watson, immediately after settling, admits it all, converts to christianity and becomes some huge jesus show horse or something

The scariest thing about this is how much sense it makes.

I hope the real Easterby doesn't read this thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I don’t think you can blame Sports media for not seeing this coming.

Hell SI doing some research once it came out was honestly more than I would expect

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

pasaluki posted:

With 20+ women was Watson's apparatus that well set up that nothing leaked when this was happening pretty regularly?

Like people whose whole job is to be a Texans 'insider' and they are sitting there with the same wtf expression as everyone else. Its surprising how many words they wrote about him and how little they really knew.

Who are the sources they would have that would have even known about this besides Watson, who obviously won't say poo poo, and that one NFL player one of the masseuses happened to know, who clearly also chose not to say poo poo? What other person connected to this, which is basically the masseuses, their families/friends, and in a few cases people who work at whatever agency or spa the masseuses were employed at, would have been normally connected with a sports journalist enough to do that?

It's becoming clear that Watson specifically targeted who he targeted in part because it gave him a lot of cover an severely limited potential knowledge of it.

indigi posted:

It's a list that the commissioner basically has sole discretion over who to put on and for how long. They used it once when a guy was trying out for the Olympics, for example. Criminal charges are the most common recent use as far as I can tell, though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

indigi posted:

Nah apparently not: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/just-what-nfl-commissioners-exempt-list

quote:

The league could opt to suspend Brown under the league's personal conduct policy, which does not require a criminal charge or conviction. (Brown has not been formally charged with or convicted of a crime.) But the league, especially recently, has generally opted to wait for legal proceedings to play out before suspending a player under the personal conduct policy.

Watson will almost certainly end up on the list for at least a portion of this season, I'd think.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Android Apocalypse posted:

This is a strange use of the “sword of Damocles.” I think if you were to say to Roger Goodell, “your life is easy, why do you get paid so much?” he might point this situation and say this was a “sword of Damocles” hanging over his own head. It is a parable to justify the position of elites.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 30, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Edit: Sorry, wasn’t trying to diminish these women’s trauma

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

Role play exists for weirdos like that. He can afford to pay extra for it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 30, 2021

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

Wow, really funny joke!!!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

No.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 30, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

This post is bad, but so much so I can't help but laugh in bafflement.

Law goons, can we expect criminal charges to eventually pop up for this? It seems bonkers we haven't seen anything yet, nor heard word about HPD finally receiving info from the attorney.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 30, 2021

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I don’t think you can blame Sports media for not seeing this coming.

Hell SI doing some research once it came out was honestly more than I would expect
Same. I'm pleasantly surprised with how they've stepped up after the industry stumbled out of the gate

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

[edited out per request]

Congrats ehud on breaking his rapsheet cherry after 13 years

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 30, 2021

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
wait who made ehud a mod

hasn't he suffered enough

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Raku posted:

wait who made ehud a mod

Intruder came out of being a mod relatively intact.

I can’t name another one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Kalli was a mod here for a bit too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Intruder came out of being a mod relatively intact.

His team wound up worse than ever in the aftermath, and even us BOB haters thought that impossible

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

This post is bad, but so much so I can't help but laugh in bafflement.

Law goons, can we expect criminal charges to eventually pop up for this? It seems bonkers we haven't seen anything yet, nor heard word about HPD finally receiving info from the attorney.

Former prosecutor, current criminal defense attorney here (in Oregon, not Texas): I would be shocked if criminal charges don’t flow from this. Sex cases get prosecuted all the time with a lack of physical evidence and nothing more than victim testimony. His offenses that have been committed in the same jurisdiction can be prosecuted together as well which will make it a much more compelling case. He could also be prosecuted in every different county in which he committed an offense, so you have to imagine at least one prosecutor is going to take a swing at him.

I stopped reading the filings a while ago, but if he did that poo poo here, he would be looking at charges of Sexual Abuse 2 and 3, Sodomy 1, and various forms of Harassment. Not only are there a lot of good prosecutors who would want to go after him on principle, there are going to be folks out there who can make a career for themselves if they take him down.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It seems sort of crazy that not only has the NFL done nothing about this yet, but that no sponsors have even dropped him yet. What do you have to lose from dropping him at this point? Most of those contracts have moral clauses and the companies can easily get out of them at this point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

wait who made ehud a mod

[Tua saying the NFL is easier than I expected, except it’s me talking about moderating]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ehud posted:

[Tua saying the NFL is easier than I expected, except it’s me talking about moderating]

I see, Mr. Ehud.

*steeples fingers* Igor? Fetch me the Big Book of lovely Posts I thought Up. *lightning crashes*