Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

err posted:

Earliest time for next event is March 2nd, which is a Tuesday. I could see it getting extended again for the weekend.

Is it a 4 week timer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lots of dings this week. never thought i'd be into phoenix but now i have a 50 cab, cleric, reaver and sorc (the latter of which i dinged 50 in rvr and got 1L7 -> 2L6 tonight!)

this server owns. now time for a week of farming so i can get plats for a caster suit and start annoying people for real. i bought vault and merchant summon thingies and i can make 5 plat an hour solo farming at the gobbos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will not let this thread die like a solo rr2 shadowblade popped at the docks

event approaches. think it starts march 2nd. who's up for grouping NA afternoons/evenings? the few times the discord got together on voice chat we whipped rear end last time even with just 2-4 of us on chat

knox
Oct 28, 2004

After dealing with some real life poo poo been taking a break from logging into anything, but I will definitely be up to poops0ck it during next event (if it should get extended to weekend again which I doubt this time). But I can play after 5PM EST during any week day so should get some real premade lvl 1-50 going this time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i've never played this game but I heard about the crazy pvp event that goes on, would I be laughed off the server if I tried to learn how to play for the first time during one of these events? it sounds like a ton of fun for people who know what the buttons do but I feel like i'd be at an insurmountable disadvantage going in blind because this is an old mmo and those had their odd quirks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are a few core mechanics one needs to learn, which you will in your first dozen fights. high level rvr is pretty skilled, but you can have a lot of fun as long as you pick up the basics. experience will also vary widely based on what class you pick; a simple healing or melee tank class has one job that can be learned pretty quickly, but intricate ones take a long time to master

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Do goons gravitate towards a particular realm/guild on Phoenix?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 26, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im an alb, think knox hangs out on mid. im gonna do a shaman next event so i can hang out over there

hit me up for free PL on alb if u want. i farm loot frequently

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I keep meaning to play, but Valheim sucked me in for a bit. I would love if someone has a stealther on hib to accompany my NS. Or, my paladin is getting close to 50 and needs exp (46 or so).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got templates for my sorc, reaver and necro done. the latter was cheap as hell b/c we don't get procs LOL but yeah, i got some rvr ready chars

managed to slam and leviathan some idiot stealther at the beno bridge a while back, good feelin'

ive been in exactly one rvr fight with the necro and it was amazing, just assisting the MA with the AF debuff and watching them explode. weird class. i might main it yet.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
PvP event has been delayed to 19th of March. Specifically from Friday the 19th noon CET until Tuesday the 23rd noon CET. The cooldown between events is gonna be 6 weeks rather than 3 and no more extensions possible.

At least it'll be on a weekend. I'll be leveling cab on the side, but if we do some kind of goon group I'll be up for anything

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gorka posted:

PvP event has been delayed to 19th of March. Specifically from Friday the 19th noon CET until Tuesday the 23rd noon CET. The cooldown between events is gonna be 6 weeks rather than 3 and no more extensions possible.

At least it'll be on a weekend. I'll be leveling cab on the side, but if we do some kind of goon group I'll be up for anything

I figured that would be coming; 3 weeks was kind of too short. Just guarantee it on weekends and 6 week timer is legit.

I'll be grinding out 1-50s during event fursure on 19th.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I created a scout on US2

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
It's just one server with several login portals. We're all stuck here together, FOREVER!

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I'm really enjoying Phoenix, it seems like there is always somebody around and something going on. I have a couple characters on Alb and Hib now and the Albion side players seem much nicer for some reason. It's fun discovering new things without having everything spelled out for me and I like the quality of life stuff they've added.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hibs are weird. i got an eldritch to 44 in the event and wanted to finish it out for realm options; spent four hours trying to get into an XP group there which immediately disbanded because we didn't have ThE pErFeCt group layout.

alb is great. never had problems and random xp and rvr groups are plentiful.
LMK if you want some alb levels, i usually go out for an hour or two of farming a couple evenings a week to fund my template addiction and you're welcome to tag along and just hang out on discord or w/e while i necro poo poo down

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
yeah alb and mid seem to be the main realms

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I hopped into Natural Born Killers on Alb and they have been very helpful. They are in the main alliance I believe and open invite. My scouts name is Azulle and my play time irregular due to child rearing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hey nice. was considering hooking up with FOA but i'll check them out too.

I just want a guild so i can be all 'hey anybody else bored lets do something'. LFG channel is a wasteland

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just realized this game will be 20 years old this year :corsair:

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Thinking about coming back to this and fiddling around on Phoenix just for the nostalgia. I always sucked in RVR and mostly just jumped nerds with my suppression bonedancer on Mordred back in the day before retreating to Gaheris for years. Honestly, this feels strangely intimidating to come back to with all the min-maxing but, drat it, I just want to hang out in Spindelhalla or smack around some giants in the Salisbury Plains.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
phoenix is really easy to stay geared up in. there is no big class war like the toa days where people that could afford 500p suits were crushing everybody

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The Banished will open the portals to the Playing Field on March, 19th, noon CET. The event will end on Tuesday, March 23rd, noon CET. There will be no extension. The Contribution NPCs are now collecting stuff for the next event in about 6 weeks from now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
On the topic of bizarre hib elitism, it's always been that way. It's super loving weird. The RvR groups are worse. Probably has something to do with every single one of your classes being worse than the other realms' counterparts. (Except bard of course)

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
How are friars on this patch for Phoenix? Their forums aren't great so i was hoping somebody had some first hand experience. I'm just interested in soloing.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

hotdog feet posted:

How are friars on this patch for Phoenix? Their forums aren't great so i was hoping somebody had some first hand experience. I'm just interested in soloing.

They are good, lots of people recommending them on event.

Event is really fun I was able to get 1-25 in under 2 hours.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Whats it mean when you make your character (friar) and go through all the cosmetic stuff and hit continue to enter the game
and it puts you right back at the character select screen, minus the new character you just tried to create?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

iminers posted:

Whats it mean when you make your character (friar) and go through all the cosmetic stuff and hit continue to enter the game
and it puts you right back at the character select screen, minus the new character you just tried to create?

Some race/class combinations aren't allowed as they were introduced in later patches. They couldn't remove those options from the UI I'm assuming.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i buckled on monday and got a minny to 44.5, finished out 50 yesterday. It's so fun to finally be able to speed6 around. Baited some tiarna VW trying to farm noobs at the mile gate across half a zone. also dope to roll around with a bolting, healing orange pet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
minstrel is templated and i'm running around the frontier like a maniac. holy poo poo it's so loving fun. nobody can chase me down and i am running around with yellow and oj aoe nuke pets just tagging the whole zerg for RPs and then SoSing away. lmao this must be the most annoying character in the world to fight.

when i specifically want 1v1's i get one of those ellyl sages that bolts and nukes and heals for like 250 if i'm low. straight up smoked a r8 shadowblade that missed perf with one of those

first character ive got on phoenix that hit the 24 hours no more free respecs cutoff. had to think a lot about how i wanted to roll it out. 50 instruments 37 slash 25 stealth (climb walls) it is.

when i get tired of rvr i go charm a level 51 ellyl polearm dude and just farm down in the snowdonia corner. it's super chill. with some wild minion my pet hits yellows for over 800 with the campfire damage add

i killed a afk rr10 stealther the other day

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 29, 2021

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I went HAM on Phoenix for a few months maining Skald and Minstrels ended up being my favorite class to 1v1. Super dynamic fights where a lot of it just depended on keeping them off balance with CC on their pet.

I got to the point where I won more than I lost but a really good one still felt unbeatable. So many of them would prowl around leveling areas.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, you snare me and insta mez my pet and i'm hosed. That's the win key.

(trump card is moc1 demez on the pet on my side, and of course as much IP and heal pots as I can afford)

Those ellyl guards with the polearm hit for 300 natural and if you see crits it can tickle 400-500. i guess they made froglords illegal to charm but the guards themselves are monsters

so far my favorite pets so far are the far deroches over by hib poc. they hit for like 250, spam an insta dex debuff and cast a long single target mez. if you're in cloth and i roll up with one of those you are dead

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 29, 2021

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Oh poo poo they changed the “bug” where you could release and re-charm the pet to clear CC, didn’t they? That used to be the big fucker for Skald, so I would use snare on the pet and then kite and hope they chased and lost track of the pet. Or just mez the pet and get a bunch of damage in while they were re-charming it. But against fast and aware players none of that accomplished much.

With the faerie casters I’d usually CC the Minstrel and then kill the pet, since they were pretty squishy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nope it still works. Only change is that charm has a 6sec recast timer so you can't spam it. We went from being unmezzable to having a 2-4 second mez time on average.

And yeah 80% of the fights where I lose they manage to wax my pet first and then i'm kinda naked. minstrel melee dps is dogshit garbage, same tier as battle bard. we just got some burly shouts that we spec 50 in to assist so it's bursty. also we have amethyst slash which is easymode melee

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2021

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

At high RR you can get some good wild power and occasionally crit both minstrel DDs and it is hilarious.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Nope it still works. Only change is that charm has a 6sec recast timer so you can't spam it. We went from being unmezzable to having a 2-4 second mez time on average.

And yeah 80% of the fights where I lose they manage to wax my pet first and then i'm kinda naked. minstrel melee dps is dogshit garbage, same tier as battle bard. we just got some burly shouts that we spec 50 in to assist so it's bursty. also we have amethyst slash which is easymode melee

The drop pet to break roots is also amazing, I mained a mini for a long time on live, it is the best class hands down 1v1. I saw your spec above, i ended up going to 44? slash which i think is the behind slow style, i never felt the climb walls played to my strengths and tbf the stealth when roaming is pretty poor, though the fall damage reduction is nice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Started testing minny pets; sadly the only way I can figure out how to do so is to find mobs that spawn both in the classic overworld and in the RVR zone.

Maybe I'll pay some 38 cleric to chain heal me while I let various pets beat on me while chatlog is on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8O-TH7t_PRJ6EpnJ0NBX0DpkcRqh0-6JiZD6-KOZe0/edit?usp=sharing

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

For leveling a minny did you always keep a healing pet or a near-level yellow pet? Or did you do it all during the event? I can take down oranges and reds with a pet no problem but it feels slow compared to my scout.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
TBH i got to 44.5 in the event and finished out my leveling by logging on my necro, farming 4 plat an hour and using that to buy task items. The bits that I did level (those 'ugh i'm at 0.5 bubbles till i can drop these turn-ins' moments) I found caster/archer pets, parked them off to the side and did stun/shout/amethyst slash to keep aggro. Doubletapping ablative song = pve easy mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone still playing this thing? Looking at starting from scratch, and was going to see if there were any active guilds/servers to start on.