Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
My 2006 Nissan Fuga (JDM Infiniti M45) ha the same button and yeah, traffic info. Mine works like another radio preset button, you tune to the local traffic announcement frequency, store it, then hit it when you want to hear the updates. I don’t know if it has any auto override features like European RDS traffic info does where the broadcaster can interrupt whatever radio you’re listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Some buys the past few days, Land Cruiser fire (another one) and a supposedly 18k mile 1985 which is the biggest buy so far.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for dimensions, it's surprisingly hard to find bed dimensions for a lot of this stuff. Keep having stupid thoughts about something like this as a race car hauler.

So about this, I don't know how common this knowledge is but it turns out Toyota has all of its sales brochures for all of it's vehicles available.

https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/family_tree/index.html

Bam, right there, complete specs for the ToyoAce of this generation, they have it for the HiAce trucks and the Dyna as well.

Perhaps the Cresta we just scored?

Maybe our Hilux?

Or the J90 Prado that's on the way:

Or the lovely 70 series itself:

Or even the more obscure stuff like the Blizzard:

Woo woo all aboard the Midship Express

WORLD SUPER JUNIOR

These are all links, btw.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The Toyota stuff is great info! Thanks!!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man those Hiluxes are :perfect:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

30 minutes is a long test drive lol, I'd start getting nervous wondering if they were in an accident or something.

Do you see a lot of gas Prados or are they mostly diesel?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

So about this, I don't know how common this knowledge is but it turns out Toyota has all of its sales brochures for all of it's vehicles available.

https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/family_tree/index.html

Was not aware of that but now I'm going to spend way too much time looking at old sales brochures.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

30 minutes is a long test drive lol, I'd start getting nervous wondering if they were in an accident or something.

Do you see a lot of gas Prados or are they mostly diesel?

Perk of being a true dealer. The dealer plate is on the car, if it gets stolen or wrecked or whatever it's covered.
When you're asking someone to pay you over 20 thousand dollars for a 30 year old car from another country you kinda gotta give them all the space and time they need. Getting it up to temp and driving it around at temp is the least we can do.

Gasoline Prados are only in the second gens, so the J90s that look like Lexus GXs. Japan didn't get the gasoline engines in the J70 Prados. From what I've seen so far the J90s seem to be a 75/25 split between diesel/gasoline.

EDIT
Started down the path of making the Hilux mine.

Changed the oil obviously, and went ahead and ordered new rotors, drums, shoes, pads, cylinders and calipers from Rockauto as the parts are the same as the 85 and earlier solid-axle Toyota Pickups sold here. Ordered a set of OEM absorbers, bushings and shackles from Japan courtesy of PartSouq, and then two new rear tail light lenses from Megazip which are already installed. Lots of aftermarket versions available for those lenses but only the best for me, so OEM it is.
The truck is fantastic otherwise, slow and agricultural in all the right ways. I took off the running boards simply for style reasons, looks a ton better without them on it IMHO. As you can see it's exceptionally clean, the only rust or corrosion is in the bed. Just as well, because I'm certain that in order to fix that headache bar the bed is going to have to come off. Perhaps when it's off I'll have them fix the repair mistakes that have been made, poor seams and small holes in the corners. They also gooped the poo poo out of the lower part of the tailgate, it feels solid so my guess is they saw rust and covered it up in what feels like typical hardware store silicone then painted over it. :negative:
I'll be bringing it to the same body shop that fixed our Rugger. I haven't yet so maybe I'm wrong. If the bed does come off though I will be putting the decals back on if they need to come off, which will mean new decals for the whole truck.

Design-wise the double cabs don't get a fuel door, just a pocket with a pretty rad locking DIESEL fuel cap. The doublecab must have been an adaption of the original design because the bed sticks out from the cab which is why they have those flat plastic bumpers on either side. Pretty goofy looking when you think about it, but not noticeable when out and about. Still have yet to clean it, instead just pushed it right into DD duty. This is up there with the most attention-grabbing vehicles we've ever had.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd get rid of the bull bar and those rusty lights as well, it's distracting and would look way better without it imo

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Today was certainly a day with the Acty. I got an opportunity to shoot a video of it getting detailed with a local company. After it got all cleaned up we took it to Freak (hipster photo op) Alley. Driving through the alleys was perfect in the truck, I even squeezed by a full size van with plenty of room. As soon as the video gets edited I’ll share it here too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A little off topic but I just remembered that VW was making bugs and buses in Mexico until relatively recently. After a quick googling it sounds like the quality went down around 95, and if that’s the case the better years are eligible for import.

Seems like a fun possibility

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'd get rid of the bull bar and those rusty lights as well, it's distracting and would look way better without it imo

I hate that you were right. Took the bull bar off, does look better. Still haven't cleaned it yet but I've got a whole heap of new brake parts (including new rotors) and suspension bits and absorbers that I am NOT going to install myself. No shame in having a professional that I trust with a lift to do poo poo I don't want to do :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, interior dirty, battery dead, seat torn, signage, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, timing belt lamp on, other dents scratches paint peeling, tail lens cracks

Inspection Report posted:

battery dead, engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 140,082km, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, dual battery, tires worn and old, cargo area scratches dents and surface rust but ok, could not operate crane but looks intact, undercarriage painted and surface rust only, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats look ok under covers, covers look like they were installed a while ago, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, interior dirty but ok, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, timing belt lamp on, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

1992 Toyota Hilux LN107 Katsuzaka Construction Company truck No. 15. Diesel, 4x4, 5 speed manual, died-in-the-wool commercial vehicle. The color is factory, "Midam Blue Metallic". Usually construction trucks are white then painted to match the client's fleet, this one is just done up in a bunch of lettering and logos. Quite dirty but in excellent shape. Sheet says seats torn, inspector says the covers are torn, those thick red ones. Timing belt light is on which means when they replaced it at 140k km (it now has 209k) they didn't press in the timing belt odometer reset switch. This one has IFS up front, not solid axles like the last construction Hilux we had. You might have noticed the weird looking roll bar just behind the cab in the bed. It's not a roll bar, it's a crane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V7figofds0

Under that black cover in the bed is a standard Toyota electric winch. In the video you can see the guy using the standard remote that works with Toyota winches to feed and lift the line out. You manually pivot and lift the crane itself. It's ingenious and wildly uncommon.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't need a crane, but I want a crane.

Ahhhhhh I hate that I can't get these cool old trucks!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was NOT expecting it to be a manual crane but that's still one of the coolest features I have ever seen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love the lettering

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Really like the blue on the HiLux!

Their is a Super Turbo up tonight, haven't seen one in months
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tCoKS9iuVsbAQEK.htm

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I hate that you were right. Took the bull bar off, does look better. Still haven't cleaned it yet but I've got a whole heap of new brake parts (including new rotors) and suspension bits and absorbers that I am NOT going to install myself. No shame in having a professional that I trust with a lift to do poo poo I don't want to do :colbert:

Wow much better, nice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I want to drive this lovely fucker all over this ridiculous planet.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was legit thinking about a Mazda Familia GTX (of the good generation 1990-94), but come to find out I’m about 5years too late to see any of the good models anymore for a decent price. :colbert:

I guess a four door one went for about $8k USD in the past few months, but it’s the two door 1.8 hatch that drives my heart.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sockington posted:

I was legit thinking about a Mazda Familia GTX (of the good generation 1990-94), but come to find out I’m about 5years too late to see any of the good models anymore for a decent price. :colbert:

I guess a four door one went for about $8k USD in the past few months, but it’s the two door 1.8 hatch that drives my heart.

I’ll keep an eye out there are still deals to be had. I haven’t seen a gtx this year I k ow at least

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

1992 Toyota Hilux LN107 Katsuzaka Construction Company truck No. 15. Diesel, 4x4, 5 speed manual, died-in-the-wool commercial vehicle. The color is factory, "Midam Blue Metallic". Usually construction trucks are white then painted to match the client's fleet, this one is just done up in a bunch of lettering and logos. Quite dirty but in excellent shape. Sheet says seats torn, inspector says the covers are torn, those thick red ones. Timing belt light is on which means when they replaced it at 140k km (it now has 209k) they didn't press in the timing belt odometer reset switch. This one has IFS up front, not solid axles like the last construction Hilux we had. You might have noticed the weird looking roll bar just behind the cab in the bed. It's not a roll bar, it's a crane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V7figofds0

Under that black cover in the bed is a standard Toyota electric winch. In the video you can see the guy using the standard remote that works with Toyota winches to feed and lift the line out. You manually pivot and lift the crane itself. It's ingenious and wildly uncommon.

That's a really neat design. Functional and attractive. Looks like there's a storage compartment in the stationary pillar, too.
Mind you, in the case of that motorcycle, a ramp would have been, oh, 20 times faster and easier...
Wee bit harder to crank the swivel with a load on it, looks like.

edit: now I'm going to have to build something like that when I buy a pickup.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

That's a really neat design. Functional and attractive. Looks like there's a storage compartment in the stationary pillar, too.
Mind you, in the case of that motorcycle, a ramp would have been, oh, 20 times faster and easier...
Wee bit harder to crank the swivel with a load on it, looks like.

edit: now I'm going to have to build something like that when I buy a pickup.

Couple of friends were talking about the crane with the motorcycle.

Friend 1: "A ramp is way easier though"
Friend 2: "But the crane is cooler"
Friend 1: "So? It took him a long time to get the thing down"
Friend 2: "Motorcycle today, something else tomorrow. When you have a crane, everything looks like something to pick up with a crane. You going to roll an engine block up a ramp?"

JCD changed forwarders and the picture quality at the docks in Japan has fallen of a loving cliff. 640x480 resolution in 2021 is beyond stupid. It's some sort of bureaucratic thing within the organization because the cameras that take these pictures are certainly capable of taking better pictures. The amount of pictures is way down too, used to get profile shots, tire tread shots, odometer, timing belt sticker (if applicable). These have been up-resed in photoshop because I had to :(
Looks really clean, complete, and ready for me to stab the throttle on various highway onramps.

AND!
Sold the Nissan Datsun fire truck today to a old guy up in Clearwater that is a true HARDBODY enthusiast. I knew it eventually would sell, but man we moved 5 Land Cruisers in the time we had it. :toot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

You and I both. I was looking for awhile and gave up, you'd be better off looking for a GTX/GTR already in North America for sale because it seems like most of the JDM cars have been imported out of Japan already.

Do you still have the 323 you swapped a BP into? I've been looking for USDM cars as well but BG cars (especially 323s) are rare as hen's teeth now if you still have it hold on to that fucker or sell it to me :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

You and I both. I was looking for awhile and gave up, you'd be better off looking for a GTX/GTR already in North America for sale because it seems like most of the JDM cars have been imported out of Japan already.

Do you still have the 323 you swapped a BP into? I've been looking for USDM cars as well but BG cars (especially 323s) are rare as hen's teeth now if you still have it hold on to that fucker or sell it to me :)

I wouldn’t be looking if it was still in the stable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Well that sucks. Are you still a mod for club protege? They sent me a happy birthday email not long ago :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Had to take a 5~ hour round trip yesterday, all highway. Rather than take our shorty Prado we decided to take the 93 Surf. Same engine (3 liter KZ turbo diesel), 5 speed manual, but on paper a much better highway cruiser. More aerodynamic, longer wheelbase, not as tall, and IFS up front. The tires suck rear end on it so I'm eating the cost and getting a new set put on. Till then though, I swapped our wheels from the Prado onto the Surf. Not only does it look fantastic, it also rides perfectly now.
While we love our Prados the Surfs are far better vehicles to live with. I fully understand why people love 4Runners so much, and can now nod in agreement when I see what they go for because they are great. Especially when they are turbo diesel 5 speeds.

Trip was wonderful, constantly caught myself approaching 80 mph at 3k RPM on empty stretches of highway. The Surf was super comfortable the whole way. This never happens in the first gen Prados. Now I'm even more interested in what the second gen Prado is going to be like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, I didn't realize these things could be so usable on the highway!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Even my base 97 4runner (4cyl! Manual and 4wd) is a kickass road trip vehicle. I love land cruisers but the 4runner/surf is the perfect size for most people's use. Great on the highway, can fit up 4wd trails, just an awesome vehicle.

Wish mine had a kz but hey, it was 3500 bucks so no complaints.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I haven’t posted that much in the thread lately (I do on IG) but I’ve bought about 20 cars so far this year....just adding a few pics from the phone awful app keeps crashing

everdave fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 13, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gentleman that bought the Nissan Datsun picked it up today and I wasn't joking the dude is into Nissans. Just freakin' loves them.

You know what I love though:

Just goddamned awful seat covers. I thought I was committed to keeping the 88 Hilux we just sorta got but uhhhhh, this one is authentically rad in ways the 88 can't compare to.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You guys sick of Toyota pickups yet because I'm not

Took delivery of the 1991 Toyota Hilux. Runs perfect, real freakin' clean, kinda dumb seats but otherwise a fantastic diesel Toyota pickup.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 14, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Couple of friends were talking about the crane with the motorcycle.

Friend 1: "A ramp is way easier though"
Friend 2: "But the crane is cooler"
Friend 1: "So? It took him a long time to get the thing down"
Friend 2: "Motorcycle today, something else tomorrow. When you have a crane, everything looks like something to pick up with a crane. You going to roll an engine block up a ramp?"

Oh, no doubt. Fantastically useful. The bike was just a bad example of its utility, is all.

Sockington posted:

Holy poo poo, when did you show up again? Totally missed that was you posting about the Familia.
Good to hear from you, man.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

While doing some research on the stickers on back of my Jimny. I managed to find the previous owner in Japan! Pretty neat. He wheeled it and looks like he put crawler gears in it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone seen this going around yet? Someone is looking up auction sheets / history on some of the more visible cars that have been imported by places like Japan Classics.
https://www.instagram.com/team_free_spirit/

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No but anyone could do that. At this point I see half the cars Japanese Classics buy at auction anyway, and if not I have a vague idea what they have in them. I guess this is useful if you are a potential buyer from there, but honestly it would just push you towards setting up your own account and bidding at auction yourself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone seen this going around yet? Someone is looking up auction sheets / history on some of the more visible cars that have been imported by places like Japan Classics.
https://www.instagram.com/team_free_spirit/

Checked this out, owns. This dude goes back and real deep into the history of some of these cars and utterly destroys the facade that places like Duncan's and Japanese Classics currently employ right now.

everdave posted:

No but anyone could do that. At this point I see half the cars Japanese Classics buy at auction anyway, and if not I have a vague idea what they have in them. I guess this is useful if you are a potential buyer from there, but honestly it would just push you towards setting up your own account and bidding at auction yourself.

Did you actually look at the account though and what they are doing? You and I can look back three months, max, using the typical auction sites and that only gives us the most basic and casual information that's limited by what's fed to the auction itself. This guy can go twelve years back and see how many times a vehicle has been pushed through the auctions, it's specific auction histories and even shenanigans done before the vehicle ever hit the auctions in the first place. Don't know what sort of connections the guy has or what systems he's into to pull such deep history on these vehicles but I love it.

Even importing vehicles yourself doesn't give you the whole history, there are plenty of vehicles I've seen where the auction sheet says one thing, the vehicle post-inspection says entirely a different thing. I go with my gut on things like that and will not import something I don't feel good about, but this guy could potentially spell out exactly why I'm not trusting a specific vehicle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ the JDM market is getting ridiculous, R34s are going for $200k now?

The people driving the market have bigger bank accounts than they do brains, I mean GTRs are cool and all, but why spend that kind of money on a loving Nissan because you were good at Gran Turismo once when you were a kid and now have some money. The import dealers are laughing all the way to the bank at these idiots.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

It sort of seems like there are a lot of markets that are getting crazy... perhaps rippling signs of a coming global asset crash? Money is plentiful because of central bank printing/lending but only accessible to the elite and rich, so they're spending it on inane poo poo like cars, video cards and surplus properties. I've been in the market for a summer car as well and I zero'd in on a Miata as the one I wanted except after spending ~3 weeks trying to buy one, I've decided they're impossible to buy. Listed and sold in a day for way over asking price. lovely, non-running examples selling for 6-8k (CAD), and ~100k km mileage and rust free examples going for 15k+. Secondarily, other similar era Japanese sports cars are experiencing the same kind of demand and price inflation. Anecdotal and maybe local but something I keep noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dude, this team free spirit account rules!