Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

didnt it do well on the SA Goty thread? I know I had it pretty high up.

yeah it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To a lot of people it felt safe to say that Cyberpunk was going to be the best game of 2020. No one knew at the time that more than half of the features that CDPR was advertising, were lies.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People that don't remember Witcher 1 and 2. :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was pretty obvious a year before release that it was gonna be a trashfire

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

People that don't remember Witcher 1 and 2. :v:

I mean witcher 2 is the best game in the series

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ill give it two years before people start saying "okay maybe Cyberpunk wasn't actually THAT good" just like theyve done to every Witcher game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ill give it two years before people start saying "okay maybe Cyberpunk wasn't actually THAT good" just like theyve done to every Witcher game

Who are these people considering the game good right now? Its been universally panned and its clear its a garbage game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

To a lot of people it felt safe to say that Cyberpunk was going to be the best game of 2020. No one knew at the time that more than half of the features that CDPR was advertising, were lies.

It was super insanely buggy and rushed but I don't think calling half the features lies really applies. NMS that's true of them talking about multiplayer, but basically everything they said would be in Cyberpunk is there. Just buggy as heck.

Which isn't to say there are obvious things missing, like the ability to change your hairstyle. But it does all the things it says on the tin.

What was a lie? (other than it being playable on consoles)

I said come in! posted:

Who are these people considering the game good right now? Its been universally panned and its clear its a garbage game.

Bugs aside it is a pretty solid game. Not the best but pretty fun stuff.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Didnt it get like 11th place in our GOTY list?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Didnt it get like 11th place in our GOTY list?

Jesus christ I thought this forum was suppose to have good taste in games? Or 2020 was just a really bad year for gaming (it was).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also are people really saying "Witcher 3 wasn't that good"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

2020 was such a good time for gaming, it is really hard for me to imagine the opposite

But that was primarily the combination of "some of the best writing featured across any medium" and "the game I imagined in my head while playing FF7 as a kid"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean compared to the claims about the game when it came out about it having the best writing of any WRPG and having the best "choices matter" gameplay ever yeah I've definitely seen that be walked backward

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ya it still rules tho

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

If you thought 2020 was bad you should go play more 2020 games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a fine game. But it's very unfocused. The combat system is a step back from two, the inventory system is still total garbage, the way loot works is incredibly poorly done, You spend way to much time in detective mode, they never fixed some of the more egregious interrupts in dialogue.

And personally I find the story much weaker than two, in two you had two separate Act 2's to play through which each gave you a piece of the puzzle of the plot, while 3 spins it's wheels until it's climax...and then just keeps going past the logical end at Kaer Morhen, and ends with me fighting a total non entity who I don't give a poo poo about.

Having Imalirith be the main bad and then giving him zero screen presence was goofy as hell, I loving hated Henselt by the end of Act 2 of Witcher 2, I didn't give a gently caress about Imalirith.

2 Also had better environments, the siege at the beginning had a better scale than anything in 3, despite 3 having the equivalent of a world war going on. And the cool ancient ruins of elves and overgrown almost untouched forests. 3 Has a swamp I don't wanna be in, a forest I don't wanna be in, a cold forest I don't wanna be in, and a city that's cool.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 30, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been watching videos of console start up noises, and I think my favorites are the PS1, the Dreamcast, and the PS2. Aesthetically, I just love pairing the idea of "high-tech" with ethereal, haunting synths.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a fun game, but I'm playing it now and the glitches and issues I've run into are enough that Cyberpunk's performance makes a lot of sense. There's a reason Roach has been a meme for years and it wasn't the incredible elegance of the programming that never failed! They followed this up with what sounds like... am ambitious GTA clone mixed with Deus Ex? Yeah there was some rose-colored glasses powering that hype.

And I agree with Gaius Marius, Witcher 3 was more polished than Witcher 2 but it spreads its writing and energy everywhere instead of powering through a focused plot.

I said come in! posted:

2020 was just a really bad year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did any info whatsoever about Scalebound ever get released before it was cancelled or was it basically just that one teaser preview and then absolutely nothing and then a cancellation?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
2020 had 13 Sentinels and Yakuza Like A Dragon and therefore could not have been a bad year for games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Jesus christ I thought this forum was suppose to have good taste in games? Or 2020 was just a really bad year for gaming (it was).

No forum where I post is gonna have good taste in games, I'm gonna drag down the average by default

(I didn't play CP77 though)

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

2020 had 13 Sentinels and Yakuza Like A Dragon and therefore could not have been a bad year for games.

And my personal GOTY, FF7 Remake

Although if I'd played Like a Dragon in 2020 it might have been a contender for the top spot, it would've been a hard call. It'll rank really highly for me on this year's list if nothing else.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Cyberpunk was Good, but definitely shouldn't have released in the state it was. That said, im downloading the patch as i post this

Also 2020 had so many great games. Doom eternal, yakuza LAD, p5 royal, ff7remake, Hades, Paradise Killer... so much good poo poo lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I could go back in time and adjust my 2020 GOTY list to add 2020 games that I didn't play until 2021, then 13 Sentinels, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Persona 5 Royal would rank higher than like... everything that was actually on my list except for FF7 Remake :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been watching videos of console start up noises, and I think my favorites are the PS1, the Dreamcast, and the PS2. Aesthetically, I just love pairing the idea of "high-tech" with ethereal, haunting synths.

The gamecube stands out to me as being the funnest of them all. The second string of the PS2 one is the most terrifying, if you hear it either your game is borked or the laser is, pure terror

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cyberpunk actually ended up higher in my personal list by the time I actually finished it compared to when I finalized my list (it still wouldn't have made top ten though, maybe top 20)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

If I could go back in time and adjust my 2020 GOTY list to add 2020 games that I didn't play until 2021, then 13 Sentinels, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Persona 5 Royal would rank higher than like... everything that was actually on my list except for FF7 Remake :v:

yah jeez, my list this year so far has been 13 sentinels, hades, bloodborne, MGS3

just nonstop bangers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm very fond of the Saturn's startups, and PC operating system startup chimes are real good for this as well. The Windows Me startup especially is glorious for that kind of late-90s utopia sound.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've never heard the Saturn startup sounds before, but apparently the US and Jpn versions were different. I appreciate how extra the latter is at least, I can see that blowing people away in the 90s.

After listening to the Gamecube opening, it still doesn't crack my personal top 3, but I really appreciate how it committed to a melody instead of an atmosphere, and that last note it hits is incredibly satisfying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Being able to interrupt the gamecube startup noise to get to data management was pretty sweet, plus this neat little easter egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEsXf3SJ6o

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Being able to interrupt the gamecube startup noise to get to data management was pretty sweet, plus this neat little easter egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEsXf3SJ6o

man i miss the gamecube

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I have managed to break open the systems of Bravely Default 2. It feels very good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CP2077 made my GOTY list but that’s more to do with 2020 being full of 7/10 experiences.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The Sega CD Model 2 has the best menu music ever, never been topped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UxwtkNSjI

Also, I found one in the garbage the other day. I dunno if it works, but hell if I’m leaving a Sega CD/Genesis combo behind.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
If anyone is remotely interested in Wild Rift there are three NA events going on that unlock tons of heroes for the NA launch. It's the league of legends mobile game

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1376695729830387714

lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dewgy posted:

The Sega CD Model 2 has the best menu music ever, never been topped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UxwtkNSjI

Also, I found one in the garbage the other day. I dunno if it works, but hell if I’m leaving a Sega CD/Genesis combo behind.

i have this song burned onto a few cds in my car. it reminds me of being a kid and visiting my moms boyfriend/future stepdad's college apartment. he was cool and had a sega cd and also a computer that had games on it. his roommate would babysit me sometimes but literally i would just play games in that room. its also just a rad tune

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Still mad we got told not to cyberbully them

also, after reading Nierchat: Nier Automata is the only video game Ive ever gotten into an argument over in real life as an adult. This happened like last year

What was the argument about?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

why the heck were they planning on releasing a new vita game

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My brain makes me behave in obnoxious ways re: playing games some times.

Me: I've been wanting to play Nier Automata for ages, it's on Game Pass now, I have Game Pass - time to play it, right?

My brain: Wrong! You fool, you idiot, you simpleton jackanapes! Nier Replicant will be out later this year so you should just wait now and play that one first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

why the heck were they planning on releasing a new vita game