Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Release the Spaihts Cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Battuta posted:

The Spaihts script is more “logical” but also quite dire. A bunch of chest bursting and alien shooting like we’ve seen a thousand times. There’s an ultramorph (do not steal) and David reprograms himself to be mustache twirling evil by learning trinary instead of binary.

Oh, yeah, it's completely awful, and when I finally read it after like a year and a half of the Internet whining that "FUCKEN LINDELOF RUINED PROMETHEUS" or whatever, I was completely floored. Like, really? Spaihts' hundred and thirty pages of lovely fanfic is the hill y'all are going to die on? Really? I mean, you do you, Internet, but Jesus.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The internet is full of really dumb people with really bad opinions to be fair.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

The internet is full of really dumb people with really bad opinions to be fair.

They also pretend to have seen or read a bunch of stuff they never have, instead aping other people's opinions from the Internet.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Xenomrph posted:

Most fans wanted them just left the hell alone - they’re scarier and more interesting when you know nothing about them other than “weird, old, dead”.
I did want to know more, but that's probably because I grew up playing Metroid games in the 80s/90s, and I thought the way they did the Chozo statues was always kinda cool.

I recently rewatched Prometheus and Covenant with extended materials/shorts/deleted scenes, and while they're still not great, I do like the character of David a lot and I still kind of want to see how Scott presents Awakening (if it ever gets made). I'm still curious about stuff like the Deacon, but I suspect that Scott's intent was to go all Christian mythos with it, in which case I'll pass.

Eh, who am I kidding, I'd watch it anyway. But I'd complain on the internet about it!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Scott pretty obviously hates any organized religion so he's just attacking in various ways. His last like 5 projects are complaining about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

The only thing we got in the original Alien was some big thing that was transporting them and screwed up somehow. When I was a kid and saw alien in the early 80s or whatever, nobody saw them as scary from people that saw the original in the theatre. Just some doofy transporter alien that may have been interesting. It being so flawed it was killed by its own transport weakened it away from "scary" on a viewing. Them being ultra religious us is a more frightening prospect, especially the fact we only survived via luck.

When did it become "scary?"

I never said it was scary, it was mysterious. My friends and I used to talk about what that thing was when I first got exposed to it. I also remember plenty of forum topics talking about it whether it was IMDB or AVP (the game) forums 20+ years ago. I'm going to watch Alien with my friend who's never seen it before pretty soon and I guarantee he's going to ask what that thing is. He probably won't give a poo poo about the engineers from Prometheus though, we'll see.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just finished playing through Alien: Isolation for the first time since it originally came out. great game, and honestly one of the better overall Alien media plots.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Now do it again in VR and poo poo yourself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

need to talk about the bonus situation before i can go buyin VR headsets

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sigher posted:

I can't agree.

The human thing is definitely better than the elephant thing but the latter was just in the comics.

I enjoyed the idea that the engineers were elephant people because it reminded me of REH's Conan story, "The Tower of the Elephant," in which Conan enters the titular tower to steal a sorcerer's gem and comes across an atrophied alien elephant-man whom the sorcerer betrayed and tortured for his secrets. It's one of the better Conan stories, all melancholic and strange.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think debating elephant vs. human Space Jockey sort of misses the point which is that any further explanation was going to ruin some of that tantalizing mystery. The reason it was so great was because you could let your imagination run wild with the possibilities, I don't like the comics telling us that it's just a big elephant any more than what Ridley Scott did.

In the end though it was a worthwhile trade-off for me, because Prometheus and Covenant are good enough that I'm willing to let go of the Space Jockey mystery.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh I totally agree. I absolutely love Prometheus and am happy to trade a minor mystery for that wonderful film. I just enjoyed the connection the elephant men drew with a great REH story.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Blood Boils posted:

As someone who knows several PhD scientists and doctors irl I assure you nerds that there is nothing unrealistic in how Milburn & Fifield or Shaw & Holloway behave.

Ever read stories about astronaut misadventures? Or watch nature programs where the zoologists traverse incredibly dangerous terrain? Ever drank with an archaeologist? Do you have any idea how many bad tattoos the average chemist has?

A doctorate won't prevent a building from falling on you. Expertise doesn't make you immune to panic or being horny or making bad decisions.

There's no contradiction between them being idiots and being the best in their particular fields.

every phd i know thinks at least 70% of their colleagues are morons. you could only believe a degree implies competence if you haven't gotten one

david_a posted:

Giger’s other illustrations at the time make it fairly clear the “trunk” is just the hose from a weird rear end suit of some kind (I’m not dismissing that it could symbolically be a trunk):

He made two versions of this mural; I think this is the second one. On the first the helmet is slightly more conventional. This one looks closer to his Space Jockey paintings. They couldn’t pull this off in the movie, but there was supposed to be a translucent dome over the Jockey’s head which you can make out in the paintings of it.

This one is a really obvious reference to Nut, the egyptian sky deity who swallows the sun, which passes through her and is reborn

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 30, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

In the end though it was a worthwhile trade-off for me, because Prometheus and Covenant are good enough that I'm willing to let go of the Space Jockey mystery.

See, this is where I disagree - I don’t think the Alien connections brought anything worthwhile to the table for the prequels, while the prequels actively dragged down things that I liked about ‘Alien’.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PeterWeller posted:

I enjoyed the idea that the engineers were elephant people because it reminded me of REH's Conan story, "The Tower of the Elephant," in which Conan enters the titular tower to steal a sorcerer's gem and comes across an atrophied alien elephant-man whom the sorcerer betrayed and tortured for his secrets. It's one of the better Conan stories, all melancholic and strange.

This also goes back to the Ganesha connection SMG brought up. Howard — and Lovecraft's Cthulhu! — almost certainly based such characters on Hindu iconography. In the particular case of The Tower of the Elephant, the "elephant" is even an ancient astronaut.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

See, this is where I disagree - I don’t think the Alien connections brought anything worthwhile to the table for the prequels, while the prequels actively dragged down things that I liked about ‘Alien’.

I'm not saying that the Alien connections really were necessary, I agree with you there, Prometheus and especially Covenant could've been even better without any Alien connections weighing them down. But I still like them both enough that I'd rather just deal with that than not have them at all. Like, if this is what Ridley felt he needed to do with these movies, so be it because regardless of their flaws I still think they're some of the best sci-fi we've seen in recent decades.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And some of the most well funded. That poo poo doesn’t get made today without attaching superheroes to it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not saying that the Alien connections really were necessary, I agree with you there, Prometheus and especially Covenant could've been even better without any Alien connections weighing them down. But I still like them both enough that I'd rather just deal with that than not have them at all. Like, if this is what Ridley felt he needed to do with these movies, so be it because regardless of their flaws I still think they're some of the best sci-fi we've seen in recent decades.

I really liked the spectre of the xenomorph looming over Prometheus, even though the deacon doesn't end up serving any real purpose in the narrative it was a cool omen that the path they're on is inevitably going to end in contact with it. The only problem (for me) with Covenant was that they blew their load too early and should have given the neomorphs their film; now they've actually shown us the monster already in a retread of the Alien finale, and at the expense of mugging off the novel creatures of the film at that, it's kind of spoilted the looming cosmic horror tone Prometheus had built up by precisely not showing us the goods directly and working by implication through things like the similar but not same creatures and the xeno-christ mural

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

This also goes back to the Ganesha connection SMG brought up. Howard — and Lovecraft's Cthulhu! — almost certainly based such characters on Hindu iconography. In the particular case of The Tower of the Elephant, the "elephant" is even an ancient astronaut.

Yeah, the ancient astronaut part and his story about his race's fall from power is why I felt the connection so strongly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

multijoe posted:

I really liked the spectre of the xenomorph looming over Prometheus, even though the deacon doesn't end up serving any real purpose in the narrative it was a cool omen that the path they're on is inevitably going to end in contact with it. The only problem (for me) with Covenant was that they blew their load too early and should have given the neomorphs their film; now they've actually shown us the monster already in a retread of the Alien finale, and at the expense of mugging off the novel creatures of the film at that, it's kind of spoilted the looming cosmic horror tone Prometheus had built up by precisely not showing us the goods directly and working by implication through things like the similar but not same creatures and the xeno-christ mural

Something I did really like about having that engineer planet already wiped out and by David before Covenant happens, is the notion that the more everyone searches for stuff the more they keep finding incredibly ancient long dead poo poo. Like there's various alien life forms scene throughout both movies but the overall message is still that humanity is like, all that's really left in a way. Like the opposite of "we are not alone."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Prometheus and Covenant actually served to make the xenomorph much stranger and more mysterious, since just going off the mainline films starting with the letter A xenomorphs are basically a kind of bug. As of Prometheus/Covenant they're a kind of demon implicit in all progenerative action.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Prometheus and Covenant actually served to make the xenomorph much stranger and more mysterious, since just going off the mainline films starting with the letter A xenomorphs are basically a kind of bug. As of Prometheus/Covenant they're a kind of demon implicit in all progenerative action.

That’s true of the Black Goo, but is it really true of the capital A Aliens in the prequels (considering they’re not in the first one, and they’re made by an Android in the second)?

I view them as much more than a bug. Their life cycle might have bug-like qualities, but they have a literally “alien” intelligence that makes them adaptable, unpredictable, and incredibly dangerous. You can tell they’re thinking, but you can’t discern the thought process, especially in the first movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Their portrayal as bugs in Aliens never really bothered me anyway. I figure, if these are the invasive bugs that you run into out in space, god only knows the other horrors you might find out there. It hints an an extremely hostile universe that we are just very lucky to have been shielded from because we haven't ventured out into it very far.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Neo Rasa posted:

Something I did really like about having that engineer planet already wiped out and by David before Covenant happens, is the notion that the more everyone searches for stuff the more they keep finding incredibly ancient long dead poo poo. Like there's various alien life forms scene throughout both movies but the overall message is still that humanity is like, all that's really left in a way. Like the opposite of "we are not alone."
Per Scott talking about a prospective third prequel, the planet David wiped out was not the Engineer homeworld, but another colony. Supposedly Scott's idea for the third film would be the Engies hunting down David, presumably ending at LV-426

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

That’s true of the Black Goo, but is it really true of the capital A Aliens in the prequels (considering they’re not in the first one, and they’re made by an Android in the second)?

Yes? In all cases, xenomorph-like things arise spontaneously from excesses of life and reproduction, particularly when those lifecycles intersect somehow with human beings. David concocts a "classic" xenomorph through trial and error, but we can see that it's just one particular manifestation of the hosed up impregnation monster that's the emergent result of just having too much life, too much reproductive potency.

quote:

I view them as much more than a bug. Their life cycle might have bug-like qualities, but they have a literally “alien” intelligence that makes them adaptable, unpredictable, and incredibly dangerous. You can tell they’re thinking, but you can’t discern the thought process, especially in the first movie.

They are less intelligent and therefore less predictable than humans. If you were stuck in a room with, say, a tiger, you might have an analogous experience to facing down a xenomorph. Probably not, though, since a tiger might be full or sleepy or something while a xenomorph can be counted on to kill you given the opportunity.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Yes? In all cases, xenomorph-like things arise spontaneously from excesses of life and reproduction, particularly when those lifecycles intersect somehow with human beings. David concocts a "classic" xenomorph through trial and error, but we can see that it's just one particular manifestation of the hosed up impregnation monster that's the emergent result of just having too much life, too much reproductive potency.
You’re talking about the Black Goo, not the “classic” Alien. I didn’t need the Black Goo to sideline the creature I like by saying “look at all the OTHER stuff it can make, instead of that boring dumb Alien!”

quote:

They are less intelligent and therefore less predictable than humans. If you were stuck in a room with, say, a tiger, you might have an analogous experience to facing down a xenomorph. Probably not, though, since a tiger might be full or sleepy or something while a xenomorph can be counted on to kill you given the opportunity.
Are they less intelligent? Or merely differently intelligent?
Also the Alien in the first movie ostensibly outright “killed” one person. I’m not so sure a tiger would cocoon you to have you be facehugged, or metamorph you into an egg, or... whatever happened to Lambert.

Saying “it’s just an unintelligent bug” is to fall into the same trap that a lot of the 90s comics did, and to miss the point of ‘Aliens’. The movie goes out of its way repeatedly to show that they’re not “just bugs”.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 30, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

You’re talking about the Black Goo, not the “classic” Alien. I didn’t need the Black Goo to sideline the creature I like by saying “look at all the OTHER stuff it can make, instead of that boring dumb Alien!”

Are they less intelligent? Or merely differently intelligent?
Also the Alien in the first movie ostensibly outright “killed” one person. I’m not so sure a tiger would cocoon you to have you be facehugged, or metamorph you into an egg, or... whatever happened to Lambert.

Saying “it’s just an unintelligent bug” is to fall into the same trap that a lot of the 90s comics did, and to miss the point of ‘Aliens’. The movie goes out of its way repeatedly to show that they’re not “just bugs”.

They less intelligent, in that they are classically defeated by being led into traps and outsmarted - shut behind doors, blown out of airlocks, etc. Sometimes they outsmart humans, but this mostly amounts to attacking from unexpected directions. Muldoon got outsmarted by a velociraptor in Jurassic Park, but that's not because raptors have an unfathomable, cosmic gnosis. They're just clever. A tiger would cocoon you to have you be facehugged if tigers reproduced via facehugging, rather than via other tigers.

Prometheus actually made xenomorphs more Lovecraftian, if not made xenomorphs Lovecraftian at all, by analogizing them in part to shoggoths and in part to Azathoth himself. Without these broader metaphysical insights into the xemomorph's very provenance, we're just left with a particularly gross and difficult-to-kill animal, "just bugs" much more so than humans are "just apes" (though both statements are defensible).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Aliens xenomorphs are pretty much just moderately smarter evil ants though, the film takes great lengths to demystify them and present them as a quantifiable and even fairly defeatable threat that are only dangerous because of their sheer numbers and lack of self preservation. The inexplicable, perverse, physics defying demons of Alien and the prequels are a much more interesting take on the idea for me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

They less intelligent, in that they are classically defeated by being led into traps and outsmarted - shut behind doors, blown out of airlocks, etc. Sometimes they outsmart humans, but this mostly amounts to attacking from unexpected directions. Muldoon got outsmarted by a velociraptor in Jurassic Park, but that's not because raptors have an unfathomable, cosmic gnosis. They're just clever. A tiger would cocoon you to have you be facehugged if tigers reproduced via facehugging, rather than via other tigers.

Prometheus actually made xenomorphs more Lovecraftian, if not made xenomorphs Lovecraftian at all, by analogizing them in part to shoggoths and in part to Azathoth himself. Without these broader metaphysical insights into the xemomorph's very provenance, we're just left with a particularly gross and difficult-to-kill animal, "just bugs" much more so than humans are "just apes" (though both statements are defensible).
Eh, I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree, sorry.

multijoe posted:

The Aliens xenomorphs are pretty much just moderately smarter evil ants though, the film takes great lengths to demystify them and present them as a quantifiable and even fairly defeatable threat that are only dangerous because of their sheer numbers and lack of self preservation. The inexplicable, perverse, physics defying demons of Alien and the prequels are a much more interesting take on the idea for me

Strongly disagree - the Aliens take down the dropship, ambush the Marines, outsmart the human’s defenses, conveniently stop rushing the sentry guns just when they’re low on ammo, there’s a lot going on there that’s more than just “ants”.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay, what? What more is going on here? Do you think the aliens can read the guns' ammo counters?

You keep gesturing at some sort of mysterious, unknowable intelligence displayed by the xenomorphs in at least two of the original movies, but nothing you've listed goes beyond, like, basic pack tactics as might be employed by a stalking predator, or straightforward reproductive behavior. Don't they "take down" the dropship by... clambering aboard and biting off the pilot's head? Don't they "outsmart the human's defenses" by... springing an ambush, or just coming from multiple directions? Where's the cosmic menace?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's enough to support that reading tbh. Adapting to the sentry guns is one thing, cutting the power in advance of an attack is another. The text explicitly questions whether they are "just animals".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Let me put it like this: if, in Aliens, you went and replaced each xenomorph with an enemy marine, the protagonists would have been in much more trouble.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All that's required of "cosmic menace" is the suggestion of an inhuman awareness. It doesn't have to be Nyarlathotep, or whatever. It doesn't even have to be sentient in the conventional sense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

The Aliens xenomorphs are pretty much just moderately smarter evil ants though,

As it happens, Aliens visually references giant ant movie Them! at several points.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All the tactics they use in Aliens that supposedly make them "dumber than humans" is poo poo that's been done throughout human history in various wars. D-Day is just a bunch of dumb ants running into machine gun fire.
Do you think the concept of flanking from a different angle is something only animals do?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ceasing to rush the smartguns around when the ammo runs out actually bespeaks a lack of awareness. Cutting the power could be an accidental side effect of burrowing through the walls and nicking the right cable, or a learned environmental response thing from the original invasion on the level of pull lever-receive pellet.

And here's the thing: even if xenomorphs are precogs or telepaths, that just makes them precognitive bugs. Their basic motivations and mechanism of action remain clear and straightforward to the audience. They breed in an idiosyncratic way and that idiosyncrasy informs the rest of their behavior.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Let me put it like this: if, in Aliens, you went and replaced each xenomorph with an enemy marine, the protagonists would have been in much more trouble.

All that would do is even out the attack range advantage marines have over xenos. The marines have the literal blueprints to the building they're defending and still get outmaneuvered. The only reason they arent all instantly killed by the ceiling ambush is because they have magic "bad guys r here" technology.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The intelligence in Aliens was the queen; every "smart" move they made was an extension of her directing them to do things. It's what Starship Troopers kind of pulled over with the brain bug. Its why she figured out to operate elevators and stowed away and understood Ripley enough to make a deal with her.

Xenos are smart enough on their own, but when a queen is around, they fall in line to whatever she says to do as a general is how I always read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
These things ain’t ants, estupido.