Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That's always a worry for me with trying custom factions, too many come off as overpowered. I mean I play on normal because I'm bad and just want to have fun so I don't mind an easy fight but there's a limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't remember: are Black Arks supposed to be able to recruit from port provinces they are garrisoning? Mine can't for some reason.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Been playing that one big grab-bag of custom factions mod and the balance is absolutely all over the place it's kinda hilarious. Their Amazons was like pulling teeth early game against Orcs and Lizards, but after that initial hump absolutely nothing could touch them. The Chaos Dwarfs faction's absolutely insane ranged/artillery and Bull Centaur cav was seemingly "balanced" by giving every other faction a 50-80 negative malus towards you so I was getting entire chains of war declarations, and the Albion faction proved shockingly counter to everything Malekith and co could throw at me.

The true balance to all the fun is that weird design decisions that riddle each faction. Like the Amazon's massive kudzu tech trees, or Albion being stuck with unwalled settlements when their victory conditions want you to go wide while also defending Albion from constant Welf-style invasions. That was one campaign I had to abandon fast despite the fun of out-shooting Helves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the Dark Ekves always cheering "for sedition" or are they just really big fans of Warhammer Fantasy 4th Edition?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone know why my pc fans sound like theyre trying to kill themselves on the campaign map? its fine in battles but something about the campaign map is just very performance intensive apparently.

also Rakarth is cool, do they mention the way he got his black dragon anywhere in-game?

basically Rakarth's dad found this super strong black dragon that nobody could tame, like other beastmasters were getting torn apart trying it, and it was so bad rakarth's dad was just like 'gently caress it, i guess we just kill the drat thing and make him into shoes'. kid rakarth heard this and was like 'oh pa-pa, could i try to tame the beast, pretty please?' and rakarths dad was like 'yeah gently caress it whatever, don't come crying to me when he eats you.'

rakarth walked out into the beast pen where bracchus was chained up, and looked him right in the eye. at that moment bracchus realised that rakarth was the only being in the world as cruel as evil as he was, and they immediately became best friends.

it's like the classic black beauty style animal bonding moment from all those horse movies and poo poo, but the evil version.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Been playing that one big grab-bag of custom factions mod and the balance is absolutely all over the place it's kinda hilarious. Their Amazons was like pulling teeth early game against Orcs and Lizards, but after that initial hump absolutely nothing could touch them. The Chaos Dwarfs faction's absolutely insane ranged/artillery and Bull Centaur cav was seemingly "balanced" by giving every other faction a 50-80 negative malus towards you so I was getting entire chains of war declarations, and the Albion faction proved shockingly counter to everything Malekith and co could throw at me.

The true balance to all the fun is that weird design decisions that riddle each faction. Like the Amazon's massive kudzu tech trees, or Albion being stuck with unwalled settlements when their victory conditions want you to go wide while also defending Albion from constant Welf-style invasions. That was one campaign I had to abandon fast despite the fun of out-shooting Helves.

I really liked Albion's campaign after a few rough patches. It's definitely a mod that has some rough patches (way too many buildings and nowhere near enough slots for them) but it felt pretty balanced given what was being thrown at you. One campaign I ended up abandoning when both the Cabal (another Chaos faction from the mod) and Chaos both spawned in at the same time and beelined for me. The Albion economies are pretty lovely and reliant on raiding, similar to Norsca, and you spend so long being bottled up in Albion that I hadn't had a chance to get any kind of warchest going, so got overwhelmed. 1.5 stacks, even with lightning strike, just can't stand up to that.

E: it's also nuts just how good their javelin infantry is early on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone know why my pc fans sound like theyre trying to kill themselves on the campaign map? its fine in battles but something about the campaign map is just very performance intensive apparently.

also Rakarth is cool, do they mention the way he got his black dragon anywhere in-game?

basically Rakarth's dad found this super strong black dragon that nobody could tame, like other beastmasters were getting torn apart trying it, and it was so bad rakarth's dad was just like 'gently caress it, i guess we just kill the drat thing and make him into shoes'. kid rakarth heard this and was like 'oh pa-pa, could i try to tame the beast, pretty please?' and rakarths dad was like 'yeah gently caress it whatever, don't come crying to me when he eats you.'

rakarth walked out into the beast pen where bracchus was chained up, and looked him right in the eye. at that moment bracchus realised that rakarth was the only being in the world as cruel as evil as he was, and they immediately became best friends.

it's like the classic black beauty style animal bonding moment from all those horse movies and poo poo, but the evil version.

Maps are all CPU, not GPU. To that end you might hear your CPU fans get a lil crazy! (Assuming it’s during turn calculations).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I have this issue as well. It is a known thing that they will never do anything about.

There are a few mods that will do something about it although minor.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2416619222

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1291788801

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Are dragons intelligent beings that can communicate in the warhammer world or are they just big lizard beasts?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Are dragons intelligent beings that can communicate in the warhammer world or are they just big lizard beasts?

If I remember right they are intelligent and they were some of the original inhabitants of the planet before the Old Ones terraformed the place.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Caledor is supposed to be special for still speaking dragon tongue while the rest of the elves don't, or something like that

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The real question is whether bears are as intelligent as humans in Warhammer, or if they're actually smarter.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Imrik's whole thing is talking to dragons. That's why he can opt to get knowledge from them.

Black Dragons are warped by dark magic, possibly insane, and all-around emo dragons. They still possess some form of intelligence, however.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ethiser posted:

If I remember right they are intelligent and they were some of the original inhabitants of the planet before the Old Ones terraformed the place.

This is correct. Think old ones made it too hot/cold for them iirc which is why many of them gently caress off and find places to sleep.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That janky custom faction blender mod (OvN) is great and awful. It has an all-troll faction that's the polar opposite of the other factions; almost no researches or buildings and a tiny unit roster - but one of the units is the Troll (Bone Thrower), their only non-infantry unit. Imagine a squad of 12 javeliners with 130 range and the added bonus of every javelin being an AoE armor-piercing artillery shell that does 44AP/20Normal damage to the target and 25AP/20Normal damage to about 1/3 of their unit. Also they're well-armored, have missile resistance, and regenerate passively.

4 units of them literally ragdolled a Tomb Kings skeleton army and sent bones and shields clattering all over the map

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

They're at least somewhat intelligent because Imrik's whole backstory is he fought on a battlefield because he believed in dragons more than any of the other elves and when he fell some dragon sensed it and came to his aid and rescued him off the field.

That said I don't think they're quite up to D&D level of "can polymorph into a human shape and speak Common" full intelligence.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zaphod42 posted:

They're at least somewhat intelligent because Imrik's whole backstory is he fought on a battlefield because he believed in dragons more than any of the other elves and when he fell some dragon sensed it and came to his aid and rescued him off the field.

That said I don't think they're quite up to D&D level of "can polymorph into a human shape and speak Common" full intelligence.

There's like 20 species of dragon but the ones we see in game are at least human level intelligent. They probably just can't be bothered to speak human or elvish because gently caress you that's why.

quote:

When the Old Ones first crafted their Gates from the substance of stars, I was there to assist their labour. Down the long ages I have come, watching the rise and fall of you lesser races and your civilisations. I’ve laid waste to knights and cities, burned fields and routed armies in my years. I could tell you much of the world that you have forgotten and more that you never knew, but I think not. You and yours are suited for nothing more than to provide me with amusement and the occasional graceful bauble for my lair. I see little else worthwhile about you.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 29, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh and one of the campaign options when Imrik encounters dragons is to consort with them (which grants tons of Intrigue) so yeah I guess other than not speaking Common they can carry on a conversation

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Look they're millennia old, they don't want to deal with whatever weird young person slang kids these days are communicating with. Learn to roar properly!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look dragons just follow the poncification scale demonstrated by Imrik and Caledor. Caledor is where the most arrogant rear end in a top hat elves live, Imrik is the most arrogant and most assholish, thereby the dragons are even poncier, even more arrogant, even bigger assholes.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Dragons are just tired as poo poo, like the Dragon Ogres, the other original race (and maybe the Fimir were that old, too?) on the planet. The Old Ones showed up, changed everything, which the current residents were pretty much mixed on, threw down some weird new bipeds, then all of history happened, and now dragons are still expected to care about whatever's going on on this continent that didn't use to exist in their day when it's so loving hot out thanks to the change in planetary orbit? gently caress that!

They're not total dicks, they're just real old and powerful and most of the things that would be "nice" just aren't worth the effort when time moves so fast you'll probably just get burned for trying. One of the RPG books implies that there used to be a friendship between Dwarfs and Dragons that ended on a bitter note that was probably the Dwarfs fault, and so it was entirely blasted from Dwarfen history. I thought that was a nice example of one of the setting's unexplained mysteries.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Telsa Cola posted:

There's like 20 species of dragon but the ones we see in game are at least human level intelligent. They probably just can't be bothered to speak human or elvish because gently caress you that's why.

Eimi posted:

Look dragons just follow the poncification scale demonstrated by Imrik and Caledor. Caledor is where the most arrogant rear end in a top hat elves live, Imrik is the most arrogant and most assholish, thereby the dragons are even poncier, even more arrogant, even bigger assholes.

Sounds like dragons in WH are essentially giant, fire-breathing house cats.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Why did no one tell me that Isabella, Vlad, and a vampire murder squad is so drat fun?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nash posted:

Why did no one tell me that Isabella, Vlad, and a vampire murder squad is so drat fun?

my favorite strategy is to either have Isabella with free skellies or just her and some heroes followed by vlad and the real army in constant ambush stance. It never fails to draw in some poor hapless AI to get slaughtered

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheHoosier posted:

my favorite strategy is to either have Isabella with free skellies or just her and some heroes followed by vlad and the real army in constant ambush stance. It never fails to draw in some poor hapless AI to get slaughtered

This is the best strategy for any faction that can field a lot of cheap chaff and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to murder poo poo on the cheap.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Zzulu posted:

i think they're smart but i don't know how smart. i dont know if theyre like dungeons and dragons ones where they are like super anime geniuses even smugger than elves, but i think they can talk in dragon language

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I imagine it's hard to properly gauge the intelligence level of a creature that is older than your civilization

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dragons are very old and judgemental and want to watch they're programs and take a nap. But if you touch the drat thermostat like those last hooligans you're gonna get it

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Playing Wurzag for the first time and, man, Foot of Gork loving slaps. Never going to get tired of watching it take off 80% of the green bar and fling bodies everywhere. I’d just leveled the skill that reduces its winds by 9 or whatever when the next chapter, entitled, “put the boot in” began. I think the future is an orc boot stamping on a dawi face, forever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

i think they're smart but i don't know how smart. i dont know if theyre like dungeons and dragons ones where they are like super anime geniuses even smugger than elves, but i think they can talk in dragon language

As a nerd, dragons are very smart in warhammer. They're perfectly capable of learning human or elven tongue. Theyre just also, as you said, smugger than elves even. It also varies on dragon type, but even the comparatively dumb ones are capable of speech and communicating difficult concepts.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Lawdog69 posted:

Playing Wurzag for the first time and, man, Foot of Gork loving slaps. Never going to get tired of watching it take off 80% of the green bar and fling bodies everywhere. I’d just leveled the skill that reduces its winds by 9 or whatever when the next chapter, entitled, “put the boot in” began. I think the future is an orc boot stamping on a dawi face, forever.

I'm playing Grom for the first time and all is for Grom. Thank you for reminding me to go make sure Wurzzag is for Grom too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wurrzag makes sieges hilarious because foot of Gork can be used on walls and because walls are utterly hosed pathing-wise it makes the spell even deadlier.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm getting pretty impatient for news. I hope there's an insane announcement on the 1st and that it's real.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I'm getting pretty impatient for news. I hope there's an insane announcement on the 1st and that it's real.

They usually lead their reveals with a small teaser the day before, nothing happened today so I'm not holding my breath for anything tomorrow.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sasgrillo posted:

They usually lead their reveals with a small teaser the day before, nothing happened today so I'm not holding my breath for anything tomorrow.

Yeah I'm not optimistic. With all the attention being paid to the Rome remaster, and it actually being released late next month, I'm starting to wonder if that'll be the only April release since nothing seems to indicate this is heading for early April yet.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
why did they make buying DLC for this game an insane nightmare?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't know it was. What's the issue?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eh? You buy DLC for the faction/s you're interested in playing, the end. If you're not interested, then you don't buy it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tbh I'm kinda surprised they haven't tried a subscription model like paradox has

Also, correction: you buy all the DLC like a fuckin stooge even tho you never play rats or empire or vsea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The base game + the sequel + all the DLC is ridiculously, grotesquely expensive. If you're the kind of player who wants to "try most of the factions and units" and not just limit yourself to a portion of the game, then you're gonna have to spend some big bucks just to see it all. Isn't it close to 300 dollars now?

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 1, 2021