Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

Myself and two friends have been having a blast playing EU4 weekly. One of us is more experienced, but it's more or less the first long term campaign for the other two of us and its been cool seeing how the game unfolds.

Having human allies is a really good safety net and it's one of the most fun co-op experiences I've had, to be honest, because the scope is so huge.

Yeah, the buddy and I who played hoi4 decided to schedule a eu4 game this weekend and another friend wanted in since it's not Hoi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Play vicky

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BigglesSWE posted:

The next dlc better touch up the USSR

The next patch is called Barbarossa

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Third crusade expansion pack confirmed

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Third crusade expansion pack confirmed

You guys are gonna love the "Restore the Kingdom of Jerusalem" branch of the Luxembourg focus tree

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

You guys are gonna love the "Restore the Kingdom of Jerusalem" branch of the Luxembourg focus tree

True heir of Rome SERBIA will now have a completely unique tree and start off as separate from Yugoslavia by default to better reflect the awesome power of Serbia as it reunites the Byzantine Empire.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pakled posted:

The number of kids you have is a balancing act. Until you've unlocked Primogeniture, you don't want too many sons because it makes succession messy. But having daughters to marry off for alliances is a good thing. And it can help you in the long run to position dynasty members to inherit foreign titles and spread your dynasty far and wide because having more rulers of your dynasty increases your dynasty's renown, and the dynasty head gets a cheap "claim title" interaction over foreign dynasty members.

If you want to be married for the stats/alliance but don't want to have any more kids, then you could marry a woman over 45, or you could go down the medicine lifestyle tree to unlock the decision to adopt/abandon celibacy.

As long as I have confederate partition, every kid is just one more offspring to place on a new kingdom. Gets those dynasty point rolling big time.

Embrace the partition! Make it yours!!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is there a mod to properly restore agnatic/cognatic/enatic and gavelkind yet?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gort posted:

The next patch is called Barbarossa

That sounds like a patch for losers.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Popoto posted:

As long as I have confederate partition, every kid is just one more offspring to place on a new kingdom. Gets those dynasty point rolling big time.

Embrace the partition! Make it yours!!!

Can you walk me through how I'd actually do this? Like, say I have 3 kids and only really want 1, how am I getting rid of the other 2 and reaping dynasty renown from it? Or do you mean, if I'm good enough to have conquered multiple kingdoms, giving away other kingdom titles to kids makes sense?

I think if I'd been able to afford to create the Kingdom of Ireland, I could have destroyed lesser titles, right? And then I'd have lost less on succession? Or what is the actual use case for destroying titles?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think if I'd been able to afford to create the Kingdom of Ireland, I could have destroyed lesser titles, right? And then I'd have lost less on succession? Or what is the actual use case for destroying titles?

If you had created the Kingdom, your main heir would have been king while the others would have been vassals under him. Destroying titles is very useful for succession planning, but not on Confederate Partition, since that creates the titles anyway when you die. Anything better than Confederate though and you can destroy titles safely.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

vicky is magical multiplayer because the game is already a house of cards waiting for the economy to crash and every player you add to the equation means the inevitable crash will be all the more hilarious.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the entire point of playing vicky multiplayer is to get in first place and then completely ruin the world supply of something; iron/steel is usually the easiest but I did it with explosives once and it worked nearly as well

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the entire point of playing vicky multiplayer is to get in first place and then completely ruin the world supply of something; iron/steel is usually the easiest but I did it with explosives once and it worked nearly as well

you can actually do it with machine parts if you start as the uk and delete your starting factory.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you can actually do it with machine parts if you start as the uk and delete your starting factory.

that's a step too far because it completely turbofucks the game entirely; you want it to be game ruining, but in a way that you could fix it if you want to, so everyone knows you're loving it purposefully instead of just "whoops I accidently ruined the game"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

There should be an achievement for achieving Uncle Ted's dream of eliminating industry.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

There should be an achievement for achieving Uncle Ted's dream of eliminating industry.

vicky 2 achievements would be extremely hype, someone at paradox give me the reigns and i will do the needful.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

That would involve a victoria 2 multiplayer game where anyone was allowed to play as the UK though.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

reignonyourparade posted:

That would involve a victoria 2 multiplayer game where anyone was allowed to play as the UK though.

my take is it's okay if they plan on doing some kind of unfathomable dark magic, for example when the uk player decided to simply mappaint all of germany and gained so much infamy every day he would have millions of rebels pop up, overthrow the goverment and then the cycle would continue however he simply kept conquering germany until the savegame broke, presumably because it did not want to spawn more rebels.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like did you know fighting game enthusiasts will buy more characters to fight with

hosed up I know

Neither Tekken nor Mortal Kombat feel like useless dungpiles if you don't buy any DLC. And people's reaction on characters existing in game but being comically devoid of moves isn't "i sure hope Namco releases another 40 euro DLC so that Jin Kazama can have more than 10 moves while somehow the desk receptionist (Portugal) got a 320 move update".

But if you're so fragile that someone saying "Hey maybe a 130 euro, 5 year old game should feel complete by now" makes you so upset, I'm sure Paradox DLC is the least of your worries.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

AFAIK, some Craftsmen somewhere should be capable of producing some if there is demand, so it is not that perfect method.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mans posted:

Neither Tekken nor Mortal Kombat feel like useless dungpiles if you don't buy any DLC. And people's reaction on characters existing in game but being comically devoid of moves isn't "i sure hope Namco releases another 40 euro DLC so that Jin Kazama can have more than 10 moves while somehow the desk receptionist (Portugal) got a 320 move update".

But if you're so fragile that someone saying "Hey maybe a 130 euro, 5 year old game should feel complete by now" makes you so upset, I'm sure Paradox DLC is the least of your worries.

Oh so it just doesn’t count if your okay with it.

Good to know it’s just silly axe grinding rather than some consistent principles.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh so it just doesn’t count if your okay with it.

Yes. It doesn't count if the salient differences make it okay. You've learned what "differences" are, it's a big day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There are no differences except what he made to validate his opinion.

I didn’t learn anything worth anything but maybe you did. Like how to track an argument for instance.

Not ecryonr can do it so don’t feel shame

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mans posted:

it's really weird to call someone fragile and upset when their post didn't seem upset at all, hth

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

What do people think of the stellaris board game that's over on kickstarter? (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/academygames/stellaris-infinite-legacy)

Spoiling my impression to give people who want to take an unshaded look at it a chance.

I'm on the fence, friend who's into board games thinks it looks cool, other friend who is deeply suspicious of 4x games (civ wasted a weekend and she's still bitter) is dubious.

It looks interesting, and the era mechanic might make it less likely to drag on than other attempts at 4x.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jazerus posted:

it's really weird to call someone fragile and upset when their post didn't seem upset at all, hth

If you disagree with that poster than you’re a snowflake duh

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Anias posted:

What do people think of the stellaris board game that's over on kickstarter? (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/academygames/stellaris-infinite-legacy)

Spoiling my impression to give people who want to take an unshaded look at it a chance.

I'm on the fence, friend who's into board games thinks it looks cool, other friend who is deeply suspicious of 4x games (civ wasted a weekend and she's still bitter) is dubious.

It looks interesting, and the era mechanic might make it less likely to drag on than other attempts at 4x.

Which civ? The one by Trisham that's unrelated to the computer game, the 2002 computer game based one, the 2010 Civ5 based one, or the 2017 Civ6 based one?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

Which civ? The one by Trisham that's unrelated to the computer game, the 2002 computer game based one, the 2010 Civ5 based one, or the 2017 Civ6 based one?
Or the Avalon Hill version from 1980?

Which is the best one, by the way

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Played that a few times but it was always a nightmare to get enough players and time to make it worthwhile. Age of Renaissance was a later, somewhat similarly designed game which required fewer people and not quite so many hours, that got a lot of play.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That's the one I meant with the first one. Though I now notice I misspelt Tresham's name.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Staltran posted:

Yes. I didn’t say her bitterness was unreasonable!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groke posted:

Played that a few times but it was always a nightmare to get enough players and time to make it worthwhile. Age of Renaissance was a later, somewhat similarly designed game which required fewer people and not quite so many hours, that got a lot of play.
Thankfully for a few golden years my group reliably had up to 8 people who could play regularly so we usually had 6 or 7 every Friday night. We managed to cram it in in around 4-5 hours because of the group being pretty good about urging people on/not distracting the person whose turn it was, and having a process to let two people go simultaneously if they wouldnt be interfering with each other. Its a really good game if you have that sweet 6+ player range of people. We also played lots of Diplomacy which I miss dearly.

We played a tonnnnn of Age of Renaissance but it just wasnt the same.

Staltran posted:

That's the one I meant with the first one. Though I now notice I misspelt Tresham's name.
Oh whoops, I didnt know the name associated with it either way :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2021

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Anias posted:

Spoiling my impression to give people who want to take an unshaded look mechanic might make it less likely to drag on than other attempts at 4x.
[/spoiler]

The overall premise is nice, with the different empire tiers present in the same game and stuff. But after looking at details I think it looks like an overwrought mess. Apparently they're design philosophy is "if it's in the computer game it has to be in the board game". But now there's no computer to handle all of the numbers.

You are now in charge of handling production and consumption on the pops on all of your planets. That includes nine different kinds of resources. And there are modifiers from species traits and civics and stuff that affect only certain pops.

The ship battles have all the same complications as before, with different ranges and accuracy and armor vs shields. You have to go through each battle, rolling dice for each weapon at each range, taking into account accuracy and damage modifiers from the components you both picked in the ship designer. There's even fleet limits.

Ground combat too! Keep track of your army's accuracy and moral. Their accuracy changes when they lose moral.

You have to keep track of your leaders aging for crying out loud! Roll a die to see if they die.

There's 11 different kinds of diplomatic statuses! They couldn't skip "commercial pact"?

There's a million more things I could go into to show how tedious it all is.

Maybe someone will make a tolerable set of house rules to keep everything manageable so you can have fun with the event cards and ascension and stuff. But as written, it looks like a complete slog.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Has anyone tried the actual EU board game?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone tried the actual EU board game?

Got as far as opening the box and looking at the components once. This was way back in the 90s so my recollection is hazy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If you want a sci fi 4x boardgame, why not just play Eclipse?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can you walk me through how I'd actually do this? Like, say I have 3 kids and only really want 1, how am I getting rid of the other 2 and reaping dynasty renown from it? Or do you mean, if I'm good enough to have conquered multiple kingdoms, giving away other kingdom titles to kids makes sense?

Realm Map

Dynasty Map

Basically: stay on Confederate partition for as long as you can, and treat each child as "De Jure Kingdom Land You Need To Conquer". Each kingdom title owned by your dynasty gives +1 renown. It's now 1000 AD and I'm halfway to the Legendary dynasty rank, and I've barely been trying. My next litter of 8 kids, which is a bit after these screenshots, and they're all poised to inherit eastern kingdoms from recent conquest. The point being, I feel this transform the way I see my progeny from "oh no, one more kid, gotta get rid of 'em" vs "more RP reasons to go bash a neighbor's head in to install someone on another throne".

The other added bonus is sometimes some of the kingdom you seed become failed states, and you got a good chance they revert back to you, giving you but a momentary dip in renown.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Robo-Slap posted:

The overall premise is nice, with the different empire tiers present in the same game and stuff. But after looking at details I think it looks like an overwrought mess. Apparently they're design philosophy is "if it's in the computer game it has to be in the board game". But now there's no computer to handle all of the numbers.

You are now in charge of handling production and consumption on the pops on all of your planets. That includes nine different kinds of resources. And there are modifiers from species traits and civics and stuff that affect only certain pops.

The ship battles have all the same complications as before, with different ranges and accuracy and armor vs shields. You have to go through each battle, rolling dice for each weapon at each range, taking into account accuracy and damage modifiers from the components you both picked in the ship designer. There's even fleet limits.

Ground combat too! Keep track of your army's accuracy and moral. Their accuracy changes when they lose moral.

You have to keep track of your leaders aging for crying out loud! Roll a die to see if they die.

There's 11 different kinds of diplomatic statuses! They couldn't skip "commercial pact"?

There's a million more things I could go into to show how tedious it all is.

Maybe someone will make a tolerable set of house rules to keep everything manageable so you can have fun with the event cards and ascension and stuff. But as written, it looks like a complete slog.

This sounds loving terrible, drat. I'm like the perfect target audience for Paradox board games but they need to be more than just a less convenient version of the PC games or I'm not going to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Holy crap I did not know that they added that much of Africa, that is so cool. And the Niger is navigable?!? That is *awesome*.

RabidWeasel posted:

This sounds loving terrible, drat. I'm like the perfect target audience for Paradox board games but they need to be more than just a less convenient version of the PC games or I'm not going to bother.
Yeah it looks heinous.