Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
NXT's women's division has a lot of talent and is very good for matchmaking. You can just put two names on the card and know they'll have a great match. The booking and storylines are in the trash. That's WWE in a nutshell honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NXT still has the better women's division but they absolutely should because they hired literally every woman with buzz on the indies except for Kris Statlander (who they tried to get too)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cavauro posted:

in my opinion the pointlessness of nxt in how anyone is treated on the main roster did as much or possibly more more to hurt nxt's popularity here than going against aew. I would still watch takeovers if it meant anything

For me, it's a combination of the 2 hour format and this.

NXT had a nice format of showcasing some new people, letting them be on Takeovers and put guys in the main event that wouldn't be there on the main roster, and then see them get called up and making room for the next crop of people.

Except you eventually learn that there is no hope for them on the overcrowded main roster, and it's hard to care about them. Then they went to 2 hours, brought in a ton of new talent that you never heard of, but no people are not getting called up and it's also overcrowded. So you have a bunch of people hogging the main event scene and not letting these new guys shine, a ton of people relegated to NXT weekly TV and not getting on Takeovers. I can't take the new group of people seriously when they get called up because I've never seen what they can really do.

Like what exactly has Damien Priest done if you are the type of person that just watches Takeovers? He lost to Pete Dun and Killian Dain at Wargames 2019, lost to Finn Balor at Takeover IYH, was the random winner of a ladder match, and then traded wins with Gargano.

Or Dominik Dijakovic. He was in Wargames 2019, lost to Keith Lee, hasn't done a notable thing since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Rarity posted:

Also the main roster called up a bunch of NXT's best talent and instantly killed their career momentum which really devalued anyone's achievements there and stopped people investing their support in it

i just saw this post in a different thread. i didn't steal it. i didn't know about it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cavauro posted:

i just saw this post in a different thread. i didn't steal it. i didn't know about it

I think you should PM Rarity an apology per the rules you established of sending apologies six months ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, NXT had a good thing where they would be able to move people up the card and then hand them off to the main roster and then fill their spot with another good wrestler, so everything was still fresh. Then Vince started misusing the NXT guys and then some of them either decided they wanted to stay in NXT, or were never gonna get a main roster push, and NXT really struggled to keep things fresh. It's still a problem, like Ciampa is pretty stale now, and Gargano was for a while until he got this new heel persona. So I think they're learning and doing a better job of keeping matchups fresh and moving people in and out of the main event as needed.

The women's division is still the strongest thing they have. It's had some weird booking decisions, like Dakota and Raquel getting the titles handed to them then losing the same day, but there's so much talent there and they're involving them in different storylines across the board that it feels like NXT is more about the women than the men now.

The move to Tuesday was absolutely the right call. I'm sure they'll be happier too, since there's obviously people close to AEW wrestlers and now they can watch and support them better. It will hopefully get more eyes back on the show, since it has recovered and gotten pretty good on a week to week basis.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
AEW has done better with Britt Baker in the last year and a half AEW's been on the air than WWE has done with one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, Asuka who's been in the WWE six years and has done almost nothing since her Goldberg reign as NXT Champion.

WWE might has better women's wrestlers overall but does squat with them. This company made me zone out of Sammi Zayn/Kevin Owens ten years after their feud of the decade, and it's not because either guy's gotten worse at wrestling.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
From what I've seen it feels like NXT worked out a decent amount of the move-to-TV issues late last year. The Keith Lee double belt era screamed "we dunno what direction we're going in here" but I think they've settled down on that front. They're also getting a better grasp on how to manage the Gargano/Ciampa/Cole class of lifers into the NXT ecosystem

Now they just have normal NXT problems (HHH doesn't know how to book faces, still a developmental show for a main roster that doesn't know how to use anyone). I'll probably check out the show occasionally when it switches days

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

RealFoxy posted:

AEW has done better with Britt Baker in the last year and a half AEW's been on the air than WWE has done with one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, Asuka who's been in the WWE six years and has done almost nothing since her Goldberg reign as NXT Champion.

WWE might has better women's wrestlers overall but does squat with them. This company made me zone out of Sammi Zayn/Kevin Owens ten years after their feud of the decade, and it's not because either guy's gotten worse at wrestling.

They got El Generico to say that he was happy about the triple threat ladder match as one of the few matches he was happy about in the last 3 years.

He could have incredible matches every time he wanted to in any other company.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

xbilkis posted:

Now they just have normal NXT problems (HHH doesn't know how to book faces)

I remember a old Takeover where it was really good, probably the first Brooklyn Takeover, and I just came away from the show loving it and feeling good. Then I come onto SA and someone pointed out that all of the faces won the matches for the entire show. I can't think of the last time there have been enough faces on the roster that were that over where they could all win, yet it still feels right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Armitage posted:

It's good, but you can't even say that NXT has a better women's division than AEW does anymore.

They do

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

RealFoxy posted:

Yes, this. People are still talking about the Britt Baker/Thunder Rosa match, and people are raving about the Ryo/KiLynn King match from last night too. The gap in quality of wrestlers in the two divisions have really closed quite a bit.

It's not just quality of wrestlers, it's what you do with the wrestlers in your division and the WWE just hasn't really done anything to make people care in awhile.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, NXT might have a better women's division on paper, but they sure as gently caress don't know how to translate that advantage into a better division in practice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So many times I've said everyone in NXT is heel. They just occasionally feud with a greater heel for a Takeover cycle or so.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, NXT might have a better women's division on paper, but they sure as gently caress don't know how to translate that advantage into a better division in practice.

Yeah, potential quality doesn't mean much when the reality is that WWE keeps taking the best performers in the world and then making them look like crap through a mix of bad production and not focusing on people's strengths. WWE has many people who are better workers than Thunder Rosa or Britt Baker. WWE also hasn't put on a star making performance like the lights out match in years with all those talented workers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RealFoxy posted:

I think Raw and Smackdown are worse than AEW and don't think it can be fixed while Pritchard is in charge of both shows and I'm with you about them wasting Auska.

I just specifically find the women's wrestling on NXT to be most enjoyable of the US shows I watch (and don't watch enough Japanese shows to call myself a real fan).

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

AEW's done better with Tay Conti in what, 9 months? Than WWE did with her at the Perfomance Center in 3 years.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFyr_EnaZA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Former Bellator/UFC commentator Jimmy Smith joins NXT. He was pretty good at it but UFC didn't renew his contract

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i thought that was a pretty good go-home show for takeover

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I thought the Cole/O'Reiley vid was a bit over dramatic but overall I enjoyed the show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Interesting to hear that NXT did better in the key demo than usual but had one of their worst rated shows as a whole.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Putting their personal politics aside (as both Karrion and Raquel have incredibly lovely world views and political views), NXT is about to enter another incredibly rough period with it looking very likely that both Finn Balor and Io Shirai lose their titles. Kross has flopped miserably in NXT, and Raquel while she has fan hype right now, it'll quickly be undone when people realize she isn't going to be putting on must see matches every time she wrestles. I would attribute the only reason she's looked good in NXT to this point is because she's had other women constantly bumping hard for her.

Balor will likely be fine as he'll still float around NXT, but Io is completely hosed as the only place she can really go after she loses the title is to the main roster, and considering they aren't that interested in treating the women seriously at the moment, she'll be spending most of her time in catering until her contract lapses, and WWE makes a panic play in an attempt to get her to stay.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 5, 2021

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DarkstarIV posted:

(as both Karrion and Raquel have incredibly lovely world views and political views)

I like her and have liked her since her first MYC, so I really should just speed past this and pretend I didn't see this, but do you have any details on Raquel?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

Putting their personal politics aside (as both Karrion and Raquel have incredibly lovely world views and political views), NXT is about to enter another incredibly rough period with it looking very likely that both Finn Balor and Io Shirai lose their titles. Kross has flopped miserably in NXT, and Raquel while she has fan hype right now, it'll quickly be undone when people realize she isn't going to be putting on must see matches every time she wrestles. I would attribute the only reason she's looked good in NXT to this point is because she's had other women constantly bumping hard for her.

Balor will likely be fine as he'll still float around NXT, but Io is completely hosed as the only place she can really go after she loses the title is to the main roster, and considering they aren't that interested in treating the women seriously at the moment, she'll be spending most of her time in catering until her contract lapses, and WWE makes a panic play in an attempt to get her to stay.

wb king

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rick posted:

Yeah I thought the Cole/O'Reiley vid was a bit over dramatic but overall I enjoyed the show.

it was done by a 3rd party that didnt get credited

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Yea I feel like it's been a year since I asked the general thread if anyone knew where you went. Glad to see you Darkstar.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Io can always take the Rhea Ripley path of 'float around NXT for 9 months doing gently caress all before being called up for Mania season'

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Io is definitely getting thrown into a tag team with asuka the second she gets to the main roster.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

collocation posted:

I like her and have liked her since her first MYC, so I really should just speed past this and pretend I didn't see this, but do you have any details on Raquel?

She's made remarks about how only real women vote for Trump/GOP, has called for mass deportations of immigrants, and generally follows and retweets unpleasant people from time to time (Joel Osteen being one of the bigger ones). And there were people reporting that at the height of the pandemic, she was out at biker rallies with Braun, with no masks or anything.

She's dumb as gently caress. The only thing she hasn't done yet to actually cause significant trouble is support QAnon or other extremist right wing movements, but considering her past, it wouldn't shock me if she actually did support that stuff.

Rarity posted:

Io can always take the Rhea Ripley path of 'float around NXT for 9 months doing gently caress all before being called up for Mania season'

Would absolutely not be shocked if she ends up on Smackdown if she gets called up after Wrestlemania (I don't see her sticking around NXT as there's no real incentive for her to, unless Triple H realizes that Raquel is a pretty drat limited wrestler). Both Bayley and Sasha want her there, plus the division is drat near depleted of credible singles contenders as it is. Neither Bianca or Sasha have anyone credible to feud with after Mania.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, but being Asian, you know Io is going to end up being catering'd, but only after a programme where she's butt of endless Asian jokes, and "herro herro ching chong wing wong, me rikey" promos that are apparently the very height of comedy, where she'd then lose and look like a massive wally.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you probably could have made your point withough the bit in quotes there chief

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Yea also I can’t think of that happening anytime to Asuka or Kairi or Io so what the heck are you talking about

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

I think there is room to squeeze some feuds in with Sarray and maybe even Frankie before they call Io up. I think there's still some matches left between Toni Storm and Io too since they basically only had the three way where they barely touched each other.

I think Raquel has gotten way better but you aren't wrong about her not being completely ready for the spot. My assumption is that Ember or Shotzi might get some title matches chasing her which could be cool although you are right the matches won't be as good as Io's time with the belt but that's a pretty high bar.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

you probably could have made your point withough the bit in quotes there chief

Thanks for your concern, bud. I'm a Japanese citizen by birth, old enough to be exempt from the "one citizenship" law that was passed in 1985.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea also I can’t think of that happening anytime to Asuka or Kairi or Io so what the heck are you talking about

Oh, like you mean this cringy poo poo with Asuka when she was paired up with Naomi? lololol, look at the silly foreign woman who's first language isn't English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_CWwqgLak

If you had any doubts, they doubled down shortly after this, with a bit about sushi, because apparently that's all us yellows eat or whatever.

WWE does this poo poo all the loving time. gently caress, look at the weird Orientalist yellow menace poo poo they're doing with Xia Li. You know better than to give those fuckers even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Rick posted:

I think there is room to squeeze some feuds in with Sarray and maybe even Frankie before they call Io up. I think there's still some matches left between Toni Storm and Io too since they basically only had the three way where they barely touched each other.

I think Raquel has gotten way better but you aren't wrong about her not being completely ready for the spot. My assumption is that Ember or Shotzi might get some title matches chasing her which could be cool although you are right the matches won't be as good as Io's time with the belt but that's a pretty high bar.

Toni and Io had a singles match on NXT a few weeks ago where Io decisively beat Toni. At this point I'm not fully convinced WWE is that interested in pushing Toni seriously, especially since she's pretty consistently been the weak link in all of her matches since officially joining the company.

And I really wouldn't say Raquel has gotten much better. She's passable, but that's about it. When she isn't tossing other women around, she kinda looks average. As for Ember and Shotzi, they really don't have much of a ground to stand on considering both of them got decisively squashed by Raquel fairly recently. Also they are the NXT women's tag champs. The last thing NXT needs to be doing is putting the women's tag champs into a feud with the singles champion (similar to the main roster). And I don't see them losing at Takeover either, especially since Indi Hartwell is really mediocre at best, awful at worst.

NXT has been investing almost all of their resources into building up heels in the women's division. Frankie/Taya will very likely be a heel, Tian Sha is a heel group (also Xia Li pretty much disposing of Kacy and Kayden in a glorified handicap match is a way to build her up for a title shot), etc.

So if they do put the strap on Raquel, they will either have to pull a face turn with her, which would fail. Or she's going to have an incredibly short reign.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 6, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They are definitely turning Raquel, Dakota is giving her sidelong "I'm jealous" looks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Raquel is playing the role of Diesel. Dakota will be Shawn Michaels. Draw as many parallels as you like. NXT's had a problem overbooking heels for a long time. It's like part of the brand by now.

I remember Jinder doing a pretty ridiculous racist segment on Nakamura a few years back. That didn't engender much benefit of the doubt for me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm just astounded anyone would be willing to give the WWE even the slightest sliver of the doubt in 2021. loving hell.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I was thinking about potential challengers for both Raquel and Kross should they both win and it occurred to me that there's like 3 times as many heels in NXT as faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mooseinfants posted:

I was thinking about potential challengers for both Raquel and Kross should they both win

there aren't any