Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd sooner teach Spanish, and even that I'm shaky on never having learned the grammar. Maybe French, but I'd have too much of a complex not being a native speaker and it's not like I speak it well today. Well-enough obviously, but not to transmit it to others by my standards.

Very few French teachers in Ireland are native French speakers. They're almost all Irish people with very varying levels of fluency. If you're fully fluent in French and have a professional background in education you'll be better than 80% of them.

You might have issues getting your qualifications recognised possibly, but teaching competency would not be what would hold you back. You shouldn't rule it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as an american who has thought about moving to europe and has asked various europeans about how to do it and where to move to, the answer for the last two years has been portugal. apparently they are doing anything and everything to get americans, especially if they are in tech. like, i think they set out a bunch of financial and tax incentives as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

abelwingnut posted:

as an american who has thought about moving to europe and has asked various europeans about how to do it and where to move to, the answer for the last two years has been portugal. apparently they are doing anything and everything to get americans, especially if they are in tech. like, i think they set out a bunch of financial and tax incentives as well.
Not that I’ve thoroughly researched this, but getting an EU citizenship from one of those countries with generous ancestry laws and then just setting up shop where you actually want to live seems viable too.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd probably move to Portugal too if my family wouldn't lose their poo poo :smith:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not that I’ve thoroughly researched this, but getting an EU citizenship from one of those countries with generous ancestry laws and then just setting up shop where you actually want to live seems viable too.

Hungary allows up to Austro-Hungarian Empire. Rest are "grandparent was a citizen" at best I think.

Wouldn't recommend Hungary at the moment though, apparently it has just shot up at 4th in terms of Covid deaths per capita :stare:

Eastern Europe is really getting shafted by it at the moment, I wonder what changed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

I'd probably move to Portugal too if my family wouldn't lose their poo poo :smith:

Hungary allows up to Austro-Hungarian Empire. Rest are "grandparent was a citizen" at best I think.

Wouldn't recommend Hungary at the moment though, apparently it has just shot up at 4th in terms of Covid deaths per capita :stare:

Eastern Europe is really getting shafted by it at the moment, I wonder what changed.
Hungary was the one I was thinking of. You don’t actually have to move there though, right? Just get their EU citizenship and use that as your foot in the door for the country you want to live in and try to get a citizenship in the new one before Hungary leaves/gets kicked out/the EU collapses.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

abelwingnut posted:

If you're working remote for an American company (or hell, even a British or German company) that sounds dope. But my understanding is that local salaries for devs in Portugal are quite low.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

abelwingnut posted:

This may be a dumb question, but what is it that you're hoping to find by emigrating? Are you just interested in a short stint or long term? Asking because if you're economically comfortable in the US, money is probably not the reason. Not trying to attack or anything just curious.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

eh, personal reasons, mostly. first off, you have to realize i was looking at all of this a few years ago. before hellworld arrived, i just wanted to live somewhere else, and probably for a decade at least. i've never lived outside of the united states, and i've never lived more than a mile from the atlantic ocean. sure, there are areas in this country i'd like to try, but i feel like i'm more geared for europe than those areas. basically most of the music and art and culture i consume is european, so...it felt like a natural transition. i also have more friends in europe than out west. then there's the fact i never want to own a car and most of europe has something resembling a functioning public transportation system, whereas there are literally only three cities here that can say they even have a credible attempt at a public transportation system, and so...yea.

but yea, that's entirely different now and i'm more looking toward asia/oceania than europe. maybe germany if the greens really do manage to take over and talk a good game.

as for my original post, just relaying what i've heard from others in tech. apparently the basis of my post was from someone explaining portugal's 'tech visa'. from what little i've read about it, it doesn't match up to what i was told. but maybe they were able to game it somehow?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 29, 2021

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Try looking here, but from what i can gather the process is more streamlined if a company is bringing someone to n, so.

Or you can buy a house with 500k and get a automatic visa.

Salaries are low, but so is cost of living.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Which three cities in the US have a public transport system?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BabyFur Denny posted:

Which three cities in the US have a public transport system?

Based on my TV watching, I'd say New York, Chicago and Definitely Not Los Angeles

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

eh, personal reasons, mostly. first off, you have to realize i was looking at all of this a few years ago. before hellworld arrived, i just wanted to live somewhere else, and probably for a decade at least. i've never lived outside of the united states, and i've never lived more than a mile from the atlantic ocean. sure, there are areas in this country i'd like to try, but i feel like i'm more geared for europe than those areas. basically most of the music and art and culture i consume is european, so...it felt like a natural transition. i also have more friends in europe than out west. then there's the fact i never want to own a car and most of europe has something resembling a functioning public transportation system, whereas there are literally only three cities here that can say they even have a credible attempt at a public transportation system, and so...yea.

but yea, that's entirely different now and i'm more looking toward asia/oceania than europe. maybe germany if the greens really do manage to take over and talk a good game.

as for my original post, just relaying what i've heard from others in tech. apparently the basis of my post was from someone explaining portugal's 'tech visa'. from what little i've read about it, it doesn't match up to what i was told. but maybe they were able to game it somehow?

Anyone who told you "they are doing anything and everything to get Americans" is full of poo poo. Unemployment in southern Europe is high, Americans have high wage expectations and are not inherently better workers, the language and cultural barrier can be a problem and the legal quagmire around hiring a foreign nationals from abroad is a huge hurdle. I would do my own research. Apply for a couple jobs in Portugal with you wage expectations and see if you get invitations to remote interview. You can always turn down an invitation (and it's common to do that)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

DarkCrawler posted:

Based on my TV watching, I'd say New York, Chicago and Definitely Not Los Angeles

dc.

and thanks for the input on portugal. like i said, i've kind of moved on from the idea, but...maybe. i would basically be working for my american organization, just remote in portugal. seems like that could work well. i don't know, haven't really thought about it lately given hellworld.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

abelwingnut posted:

dc.

and thanks for the input on portugal. like i said, i've kind of moved on from the idea, but...maybe. i would basically be working for my american organization, just remote in portugal. seems like that could work well. i don't know, haven't really thought about it lately given hellworld.

American (dev) pay, Portuguese cost-of-living?

That seems like a dream. Don't know where you live in U.S. but if it is a major city you could probably live in central Lisbon and save a ton of money.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I believe Greece is doing some sort favourable tax stuff for expats. I'm not sure if they have any special visa allowances as well but definitely worth thinking about if you're looking for cheap cost of living/nice weather.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For 500k I'll marry you and you'll get the visa easily

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

American (dev) pay, Portuguese cost-of-living?

That seems like a dream. Don't know where you live in U.S. but if it is a major city you could probably live in central Lisbon and save a ton of money.
Madeira is dope and when I was there I saw advertisements for vacation homes that seemed reasonably priced. Being an out of the way island though, definitely only for some people.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

abelwingnut posted:

dc.

This is what I'm doing, working for remotely and living in Portugal (though I'm already a EU citizen which makes things easier) and it's been really good for my mental health and life quality in general to get more than three months of the sun and be near the ocean in a safe and beautiful country. Take note that after about half a year the novelty wears off and the downsides start to annoy you and you start to miss your family and friends, so by then you might not want to stay unless you develop meaningful bonds to the place and friendships. I moved for a lady and couldn't be happier, but even without that if you have an opportunity to see the world, go for it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

For 500k I'll marry you and you'll get the visa easily

poo poo I'd legit visa-marry someone for 5k. There's gay marriage here now, so no discrimination.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

dc.

I'm sure you have put thought into it, so don't take it personally, but I've come across far too many people who think that immigrating is a cake-walk.

I didn't put much thought into moving to France. I came for a master's degree, and deciding that what I had built up for myself during those three years was important enough, decided to stay. It was not easy. Let alone the paperwork, economic, and general moving problems, there's a big emotional toll. Consider what it is to leave your friends and your family, if you have close relationships with them, and to make all the groundwork to make brand new relationships in a place where you know no one and often in a language you do not master.

It's not impossible, but it's rather daunting and I think the most necessary thing you need if you want to go through with it is to have very high sense of self-worth because everything is stacked to knock your morale down. Now obviously it can be an amazing enriching experience like you can imagine, but there's a very difficult part to it. That's a big reason a lot of immigration is done by those who have no other choice, those that do usually don't need to put themselves through that, and those that act like it's no big deal are rich enough to live where ever they want at any given moment.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Look op, don't listen to these boring, sensible adults.

Sure, living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and enjoying a 6 month long warm summer may sound like a drag, but the booze and weed are cheap.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Look op, don't listen to these boring, sensible adults.

Sure, living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and enjoying a 6 month long warm summer may sound like a drag, but the booze and weed are cheap.

You didn't even mention the food, just all that terrible food

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Somaen posted:

[...] living in Portugal (though I'm already a EU citizen which makes things easier) and it's been really good for my mental health and life quality [...] I moved for a lady and couldn't be happier,

Hold on -- you didn't go there from the Benelux area did you?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hold on -- you didn't go there from the Benelux area did you?

No, I would bet tens of thousands of people could be described by that :)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

dc.

just dont come expecting a big metropolitan experience, had friends who came form sao paulo and couldnt adapt to the slower rythm lol
some companies here like the one im at pay a sort of migration pacakge(?) because of salary discrepancies since wages here are so low and stagnant

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Do note that living in Portugal but working for a US company without a local office, i.e. not paying taxes in Portugal, not paying into retirement, social services, health insurance, is something I can't recommend. Well, they wouldn't let you stay anyway.

Schengen access is pretty rad though. I'll give the liberals credit for that and building lots of new train tracks. Night trains are making a bit of a comeback, so post-pandemic travelling is getting better. Board a train in the evening in Lisbon, wake up in Madrid or southern France. It's such a chill way of travelling.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aren't iberian rails a hosed up gauge for some ungodly reason? idk if that means you'd have to get up in the middle of the night as you pass into france though, i'm not that much of a train person

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Salaries in Portugal are poo poo anyway so you probably won't go over the 100k limit that you have to pay taxes in the US, so just pay them in Portugal.

It's so weird to me seeing so many people migrating into Portugal, and I emigrated 3 years ago. WFH is only going to help the craziness.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

aren't iberian rails a hosed up gauge for some ungodly reason? idk if that means you'd have to get up in the middle of the night as you pass into france though, i'm not that much of a train person

Note how Finland is a special, special butterfly with our very own gauge :finland: Though it's compatible enough with Russian rail that travel across that border is possible. :ohdear:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

V. Illych L. posted:

That night train ends in a French border town (Hendaye), from there you can go via TGV. Afaik there are plans for better rail integration especially in that area.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

AFAIK some of the Tango Pendulars can switch their gauge size - I've seen some in Zurich a few years ago.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

orange sky posted:

Salaries in Portugal are poo poo anyway so you probably won't go over the 100k limit that you have to pay taxes in the US, so just pay them in Portugal.
In practice even over 100k you don't have to pay taxes in the US since you can count whatever taxes you pay in your residence country against your US tax obligation. So as long as you're in a higher tax country (almost all of the developed world) you won't have to pay any more.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Also please note that getting paid 100k gross in portugal would put you in a loving stratospheric bracket of income.
It's no ahah gently caress you money, but it's about as close as you can get to it and still call yourself a salary man.45 k is vacation abroad twice a year, second house somewhere in the countryside kind of money.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rappaport posted:

Note how Finland is a special, special butterfly with our very own gauge :finland: Though it's compatible enough with Russian rail that travel across that border is possible. :ohdear:

tolerances schmolerances

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
oh and dont buy houses in lisbon unless you planning to spend somewhere between half to a million on a new development, or near half a million for a century old leaky flat with no elevator

ok, tbf you can still find a one room apartment near downtown for less than 300k

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rappaport posted:

What the hell is up with what I think is Lebanon? Either way I can probably blame the British or the French

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pretty sure that's jordan? lebanon and israel are on the mediterranean, and that purple's inland a bit.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 30, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

u brexit ukip it posted:

What the hell is up with what I think is Lebanon? Either way I can probably blame the British or the French

Jordan. And apparently from what I can glean from skimming this article and the one for its predecessor, you might have to blame the Ottomans instead!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
FYI Dutch PM Mark Rutte might not survive the night due to a complicated series of events following exploratory talks for a new coalition government, following last months' election. But the short of it is 'he hosed up'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

u brexit ukip it posted:

FYI Dutch PM Mark Rutte might not survive the night due to a complicated series of events following exploratory talks for a new coalition government, following last months' election. But the short of it is 'he hosed up'

pls post