Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

Interesting, he's the lad who created the term robot, I've heard the story but never put a face to the name. Yeah being a dracula probably would've been a better choice for Evola at least, rather than becoming a superfascist. He was even a count.

I feel you could make one of those political compasses for 30's Italy and each corner would just be a different flavour of fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

People with Tattoos gross me out, you can tell as soon as you see them that they make poor decisions in life

The good thing about tattoos is they keep these guys away from you, leading to a much more fun time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

People with Tattoos gross me out, you can tell as soon as you see them that they make poor decisions in life

they dont gross me out exactly but i dont like the look of tattoos. it just looks like a shirt with coffee stains or something except it's their skin

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in the uk everybody seemed to have a tattoo and i dont get it. its usually the terrible kind where its just an isolated picture on a random part of their body with no composition or anything, like putting stickers on your computer case

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

in the uk everybody seemed to have a tattoo and i dont get it. its usually the terrible kind where its just an isolated picture on a random part of their body with no composition or anything, like putting stickers on your computer case

This is actually like super true. Like more true than you would probably ever think.

I loving hate tattoos though, there is something incredibly self involved with putting a bit of art on their body like its in the slightest bit unique or interesting. Its not, you arn't cool for getting a tattoo, its all been done before by someone cooler than you'll ever be.

In fact anyone that wants a tatoo just imagine a butterfly on your shoulder or a spider web on your rear end or whatever. See that fake image you've created in your head - better than any real tattoo because like real tattoos it only matters too you and you didn't have to spend time or money on it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I loving hate tattoos though, there is something incredibly self involved with putting a bit of art on their body like its in the slightest bit unique or interesting. Its not, you arn't cool for getting a tattoo, its all been done before by someone cooler than you'll ever be.
This sounds a lot like you're seriously projecting and trying to justify a prejudice after the fact. You might say the same thing about any kind of cosmetics - "stop trying to look good as if you're anything special. No haircut will fix you being a loser."

And that's just kind of a weird attitude to have.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cardiovorax posted:

You might say the same thing about any kind of cosmetics - "stop trying to look good as if you're anything special. No haircut will fix you being a loser."

And this would be true - note I'm not attacking an individual with prejudice as a targeted attack. I'm just expressing an opinion on how pointless i think tattoos are. Anyone who wants a greek letter put on their arse crack is more than welcome

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In fact anyone that wants a tatoo just imagine a butterfly on your shoulder or a spider web on your rear end or whatever. See that fake image you've created in your head - better than any real tattoo because like real tattoos it only matters too you and you didn't have to spend time or money on it.
This is kind of making me want to get a tattoo.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Tattoos are a way of reclaiming your body for yourself. For me, it was from a soul-grindingly grim job, but I could see others reclaiming their body for various purposes. There's a lot of power in being able to say "this is mine" when feeling alienated or objectified. I realise I'm being a total psued here, but why do you think they're traditionally associated with the working class or enlisted people? Or why are prison tattoos such a thing?

Simply put, it doesn't matter if you don't like them; they're not for you.

Although this does make things like Zelda tattoos super weird, admittedly.

The projection here is like, IMAX level.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Mar 30, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

how does it make your body more "yours" if you put tattoos on it though? i really don't get it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because you're shaping it to your own wishes instead of being entirely dependent on what nature decided for you. It's why a lot of people who are into body modification consider it empowering.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Because you're shaping it to your own wishes instead of being entirely dependent on what nature decided for you. It's why a lot of people who are into body modification consider it empowering.

Ah, hybris.

(I don't give a poo poo personally if someone has tattoos, as long as they don't drop trou in the dairy aisle in Sale to show me some sweet new ink on their thigh like that one guy.)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Cardiovorax posted:

Exactly! And for some people, it's the only control they have. There's so much class snobbery caught up in ideas about tattoos being common. This doesn't mean that there aren't hipsters who haven't co-opted them, but that's not the fault of the concept of tattooing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

There's so much class snobbery caught up in ideas about tattoos being common.

Yeah, every bougie gently caress has a tattoo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

i will never understand it i guess, to me the closest thing i feel to wanting to "take ownership" of my own body or whatever is to just take care of it so it looks alright. like to me it's empowering to be good looking, or at least decent looking or cool looking or whatever, like just having nice skin or something or being healthy

like at the end of the 2000s there was this trend where girls would just slap a giant tattoo on their chest area and sometimes up their neck, to me that's almost as weird as bug chasing or cutting yourself, just pure self demolition for no reason. i guess this might not feel that way to the person doing it though but it's definitely what it looks like to me. sorry

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cardiovorax posted:

Can i please be a 6'6 ripped bodybuilder rather than a fat hobbit. TIA

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, a lot of people do hardcore bodybuilding for the same reason, so that's not a bad comparison honestly. Personally, I'm not into either of these things, I just understand what they're about.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

but bodybuilding is basically an expression of health, it's like "look how strong i am" although sometimes taken too far to the point where it becomes unhealthy

similarly i get tattoos if they have some kind of ritual or tribal purpose or whatever, like i get why a yakuza guy or a maori would get a tattoo, that's part of a ritual and kind of cool, it's a rite of passage

but just writing "DAVE" in swirly letters at an angle on your lower shoulder doesn't make sense like that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You've never talked to someone who is really into bodybuilding, then. Health really does have absolutely nothing to do with it after a point. They call show muscles like that sculpted for a reason.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah, every bougie gently caress has a tattoo.

Yeah, but things get co-opted all the time, and people will find new ways or styles of tattoos or body modification to outpace that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It takes a lot of work to bodybuild, hard exercise and dietary discipline, time and effort

It takes zero effort to get some prick with a needle to draw a unicorn on your chestboob

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, but things get co-opted all the time, and people will find new ways or styles of tattoos or body modification to outpace that.

I'm not saying people who aren't bougie fucks don't also have tattoos, just that literally all bougie fucks have one (or more).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It takes a lot of work to bodybuild, hard exercise and dietary discipline, time and effort

It takes zero effort to get some prick with a needle to draw a unicorn on your chestboob
You're starting to get annoying petty about this, man.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

im not convinced theres a difference between the authentic and the "coopted" version tbh. like where are these authentic tattoos in a western context

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cardiovorax posted:

You're starting to get annoying petty about this, man.

Its the post your unpopular opinions thread man, I'm sure there's a "post your favourite anime waifu tattoo" thread you'd be less triggered by

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, sure man, sure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Can i please be a 6'6 ripped bodybuilder rather than a fat hobbit. TIA

Look up lee priest, dude destroyed guys a foot taller with his physique. There's nothing stopping you from having a body like his

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Speaking as a person that looks exactly like a Lisa Frank Trapper keeper from 1992, tattoos are mega lame. And I don't know about that "taking control of your body" thing working most of the time. You end up wondering what you were thinking before the tattoos heal. Everyone I know that's heavily tattooed has at least a few inches of ink they absolutely regret. Also my prison tattoos have been the reason I didn't get a job more than once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

This sounds a lot like you're seriously projecting and trying to justify a prejudice after the fact.

That describes like half of the opinions posted in this thread.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I don't have any tattoos for two reasons, one, I'm a huge loving square, and two, I don't like anything enough to want it on me.

What, do I get a beautifully rendered image of a pie right on my chest? Not even for pie.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aramek posted:

I don't have any tattoos for two reasons, one, I'm a huge loving square, and two, I don't like anything enough to want it on me.

What, do I get a beautifully rendered image of a pie right on my chest? Not even for pie.

Yeah, I get that. In high school I had an idea for a tattoo and, I don't know why, but I thought to myself if you still think this is a good idea in two years, you can do it. I guess I figured two years wasn't an overlong time to wait for something I'd have for the rest of my life.

None of the ideas of my twenties survived the two-year waiting period. I've got nothing against tattoos in general - I've seen art that has really beautifully complemented the bodies it was on - but my youthful ideas were all dumb and bad.

I have one idea kicking around, presently, that has survived well past the two-year waiting period, but I figure if I've been all this time too lazy and cheap to have the idea drawn and executed by artists with actual talent, I don't really want it enough.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I learned of the existence of Blink 182 and more specifically Travis Barker when I was 11/12, and now I'm destined to like overly tatted up dudes forever. Face tattoos weird me out though.

I've had two tattoo ideas for almost two decades now, but the permanence of tattoos worries me so I've been too much of a chickenshit to get them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think I've mentioned this before in this very thread but the only tattoo that I've ever seen that I was really impressed with was the one that Steve-O has on his back because it's his entire back and it's him smiling giving a double thumbs up.

Himself. On his back.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like tattoos, but I certainly don't think they make me unique or anything. I also didn't think I would make it to my 40's, so now I get to look forward to having a bunch of wrinkly tattoos in my 60's. They look a lot cooler on a 24 year old in a band than they do on a 40 year old finance guy.

fizzymercury posted:

Everyone I know that's heavily tattooed has at least a few inches of ink they absolutely regret.

Yeah, same here. The one I regret is a totally bitching barcode I got when I was 17. Stupid loving enough on it's own but then I didn't take care of it properly so it's all faded and the ink's all feathered. I've been thinking of getting it covered up for about a decade now, but it just somehow feels like cheating to not live with my decision. So there it will sit on my body until the day I die and, if I'm extremely loving lucky, my body will mummify and I'll wind up in a museum 1000 years in the future so future generations can snicker about my poor life choices.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, same here. The one I regret is a totally bitching barcode I got when I was 17.

So what's it say?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tattoos are fine. But they are way less interesting than the owner thinks. I get the same feeling seeing tattoos as I do seeing pictures of people's meals on social media. Like I'm sure that was a good bowl of mac and cheese but you were the only one who enjoyed it and very few people care to see it.

Also working on a college campus, practically every kid has visible tattoos. They're about as common as yoga pants or cargo shorts. So honestly if you're not at least ambivalent about them you are going to have some high blood pressure as you get older. Madisons and Kaydens will parade tattoos in front of you for probably the rest of your life .

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Tattoos are awesome and I hope mine do keep the uptight weirdos away from me.

Also bodybuilders are gross to me. Trim and muscular is nice, super over the top bulked up is ugly. Swimmers and dancers tend to look way better.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Complaining about other peoples aesthetic choices is immoral

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Badactura posted:

Complaining about other peoples aesthetic choices is immoral

:hmmyes:

also tatoos are cool but i probably won't ever have anything tatooed on me. mostly because i hate needles and i hate the thought of having something inserted into my body that's not part of it. same goes for piercing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've never seriously considered it because knowing myself, I'd regret whatever I get within an hour of being done with it. Love my earrings, though.