Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

was it you who mentioned having tremors upthread? you might have seen these videos already but in case you haven’t they’re super useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwEwXnwq8nI

These are the ones I was going to find and link so thanks for saving me the effort :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a secret to AK Ultra Matte? I shook the hell out of it, thinned it, didn't thin it, all kinds of stuff and it still comes out pretty satiny no matter what.

---

I've been painting a bunch of stuff the past couple days. It's weird.

This may sound like a cop out, but it’s not meant to be- you may have a bad bottle.

I’ve had varnish that’s sat on a store shelf for a year before I bought it that was no good before.

The other thing I’ve found is with the AK you need so, so little of it to get the muted effect. The more you add the closer to satin it gets, and in my experience it leaves the airbrush like greased lightning. So gentle gentle on the trigger.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I've only brushed it on, but it's definitely one to use sparingly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I tend to go pretty heavy on my varnish coats, so that could definitely be the culprit. I guess I'll just have to paint something else and give it another whirl, what a shame.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I enjoy these guys greatly. The color of the base makes it almost look like it's grown a thin layer of mold filament over it.

Thanks, that validates the time I spent struggling to get it to look even vaguely like mold. More difficult than it might sound - easy to sidestep into "ashtray someone spit in".

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Assessor of Maat posted:

Thanks, that validates the time I spent struggling to get it to look even vaguely like mold. More difficult than it might sound - easy to sidestep into "ashtray someone spit in".

Soooooo my approach, when I feel comfortable enough using my airbrush, is to spray a thin layer of Spider Serum over the base to simulate the mesh of mycelium growing out and over everything. I don't know if it'll take color but that's the idea.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Get yourself a dental lamp:

http://imgur.com/gallery/IgH3NNH

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Feeple posted:

Get yourself a dental lamp:

where'd you find that?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Spanish Manlove posted:

where'd you find that?

From a dentist's office. ;)

My dad knew a dentist who was retiring and not passing the practice on. We took the lamp, rewired it to work with a plug, and anchored into a rafter in my basement! :D

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Added a couple of dudes to this kill team and can now field basically any IG kill team I want to. Feels good to finish a project.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this is dope

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting from the Scale modelling thread because I guess 1:3000 scale counts as a "miniature"...

Cthulu Carl posted:

Finally finished the 1:3000 Yamato. At least finished it enough.

One down... Eight and a dockyard to go....

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
My airbrush (sparmax sp 35 something) just broke and I am unable to fix it. Looking for reccommendations for a replacement, preferably one that's easier to clean. Thanks in advance.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I need some opinions here. Blue or green robes? Pale green or purple skin? They have to go with the squig scheme in the middle :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Panted an alf

And some bonus High Elves that I was trying to apply as many painting skills I was picking up at once, mostly executed poorly (the freehand on the shield lmao) but it was a good learning experience. Mage was my first complete model since getting back into the hobby -- I didn't have an actual red paint at that point and we were in lockdown so I made do.

Going to have to carve out a space to take better pictures while I work on the next batch. I probably spent too much time on the first model, but my next group of 3 spears already look better based on my experience with the first one.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 28, 2021

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

My airbrush (sparmax sp 35 something) just broke and I am unable to fix it. Looking for reccommendations for a replacement, preferably one that's easier to clean. Thanks in advance.

Iwata Eclipse for the mainstream, reliable option

Harder & Steenbeck evolution for the more expensive, easier again to clean option.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

I need some opinions here. Blue or green robes? Pale green or purple skin? They have to go with the squig scheme in the middle :v:

They both look fantastic but I think I prefer the robes and skin on the right. Looks like it aligns a bit more with the skin of the squig too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Dreylad posted:

Panted an alf

And some bonus High Elves that I was trying to apply as many painting skills I was picking up at once, mostly executed poorly (the freehand on the shield lmao) but it was a good learning experience. Mage was my first complete model since getting back into the hobby -- I didn't have an actual red paint at that point and we were in lockdown so I made do.

Going to have to carve out a space to take better pictures while I work on the next batch. I probably spent too much time on the first model, but my next group of 3 spears already look better based on my experience with the first one.

That’s a rockin scheme! It’s a shame that the book scheme is so trash, because schemes like yours can really make those models pop

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
If I miss a few spots on the base coat that are going to be covered up by a different color later should I actually bother to fix it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lucinice posted:

If I miss a few spots on the base coat that are going to be covered up by a different color later should I actually bother to fix it?

In general I think it’s better to play it safe and fix the base coat, but it depends on things like how different base colour is from primer, how opaque your subsequent layers are gonna be, etc. If in doubt probably better to just fix it and not have to worry you’ll end up with a mottled finish you can’t quite fix later

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Decided to speed paint the primaris bike chaplain. I originally painted him following Marco Frisoni's take on him, but I wasn't happy with how it was coming out so I re-primed and painted it more closely aligned with the rest of my army.

From start to finish it took about 3 hours.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
I'm trying to make Brother Phaello a bit taller from Space Marine Heroes.

I split the torso above the belt, and split the legs at the shins and filled with a layer of plasticard. I want to do the thighs but there's a lot of fiddly bits/accessories there so I'm unsure if I should attempt it.
I was really hoping to do plasticard under the shoes for some easy height but of course they came as one piece with the base.

Goals are adding more to the midsection, and maybe the thighs as well. I might reposition the arms, I'm not sure really as right now they're just thrown in the pegs sticking out of the body. I'll take another look at it after everything is done curing/drying.

All this work to get him just as tall as a primaris lol.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 22, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Also finished these guys! (I don't know what they're called)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

That’s a rockin scheme! It’s a shame that the book scheme is so trash, because schemes like yours can really make those models pop

Thank you! I was really, really trying to do what I could to show off the red and white without making them :canada: elves by using lots of warm offwhites wherever possible. I also tried to incorporate some warm browns and cool blue-greens into the base colour of the rocks but I don't think that comes through. Probably going to throw a tuft on there too for some variation. I got the idea of using Flesh Tearer's from (I think it was) your space marines, really loved the colour as cloth, and I tried to do an undershade to cover the highlights and shadows, partly because I couldn't find other red colours that really went well with it.

I think I need to buy a smaller brush because trying to get in and highlight the details on the face through the narrow helm slit is hell, let alone picking out things like eyes. Plus I'm not quite sure what to highlight exactly beyond the nose and chin.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Thank you all for the advice on varnishes; I picked up some of the Mecha Matt to test out, and will be giving it a go as soon as it arrives.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

grassy gnoll posted:

I've been painting a bunch of stuff the past couple days. It's weird.

The skin tone you did on this lady's legs is extremely good imo. The entire batch is great, but this really stood out to me

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Yeast posted:

Iwata Eclipse for the mainstream, reliable option

Harder & Steenbeck evolution for the more expensive, easier again to clean option.

Thanks! Just ordered a H&S Evolution. Can’t wait!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

For those that have used any of the various "masking putty" products from AK Interactive or whatever, is there any real difference between stuff like that and regular silly putty? I didn't know if it was worth spending money on.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I use some bright blue "Thinking Putty" I got on sale for a couple bucks, it works fine for masking. I can't imagine there's any functional difference with the AK version.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cross-posting from the Scale modelling thread because I guess 1:3000 scale counts as a "miniature"...

No Wave Motion Gun, 0/10

Seriously, though, I love tiny ships and this one looks great!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ilor posted:

No Wave Motion Gun, 0/10

Seriously, though, I love tiny ships and this one looks great!

I have the mecha colle Yamato built a few years back and now have the Mecha Colle Ginga, Andromeda, two Dreadnoughts, a Cosmo Falcon and Cosmo Tiger 2, and a 1:700 IJN Yamato waiting to be built...

I think I like that ship and the designs from that show...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
10mm models are gonna ruin my eyes but I'm really happy with how this base turned out considering it's just old coffee grounds and ground up oregano

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got some goblin girl pathfinder models and holy gently caress they are even tinier than my 40k ones

https://gamegoblins.com/pathfinder-deep-cuts-goblin-female-alchemist-wzk73721/

It's not listed anywhere but they're 20mm bases

It of course shows a painted example, but there's no way you'd get that clarity outside of a 3D model in blender or w/e

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got some goblin girl pathfinder models and holy gently caress they are even tinier than my 40k ones

https://gamegoblins.com/pathfinder-deep-cuts-goblin-female-alchemist-wzk73721/

It's not listed anywhere but they're 20mm bases

It of course shows a painted example, but there's no way you'd get that clarity outside of a 3D model in blender or w/e

Yeah, these models are very misleading. They also tend to overspray them with a primer that I can only imagine is made out of pure diamonds considering how tough it is to remove. The coat can be so thick it will sometimes obscure detail and make some models very ugly, I have several where the face is completely obscured by primer. The QC on them is very hit or miss, but the few that I have that are primed well have very crisp detail, though the size of the model itself makes painting that detail very difficult.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like these are going to be better suited to targeted contrast painting with some basic layering, and calling it good. I haven't taken them out of the box yet since I still need to do my other ones I haven't had time for (what with spring coming and trying to grow herbs/veggies indoors)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Cross-posting from the Oath Thread as I gently ramp up my painting after the Great Miserable.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!
And post is on time this time! Much better painting month, although no freehand for me this time. Unfortunately couldn't find my second daylight lamp, so relying on sunlight for one side for photography...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is that model actually missing its front teeth, or did you just black them out?

I love it either way :3:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cock wizard :swoon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Chicken wizard rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Space Marine Heroes project update:
I was able to make brothers Phaello and Aramus as tall as my normal primaris marines.
I added plasticard to the shins and lengthened the torso with greenstuff. I was hoping to add plasticard to the bottom of the feet and the thighs, but the feet are molded into the base and the thighs had too many accessories I didn't want to cut through on them.
I couldn't get the armor to fill out properly with additional greenstuff so I went with robes instead to hide my shame. I noticed the midsection on terminators always have 3 vertical cables, so I recreated that on one with guitar strings, but for the other model that wasn't an option so I created a chain clasp between his torn robes and then added purity seals on top of that to help hide the iffy sculpt.

Going to turn them into Lamenters since I got 10 assault intercessors who are joining them for a kill team sized crew. They'll prob be veterans who failed to cross the primaris Rubicon for my fluff.

I want to do something else with the shoulders, but I'm not sure what. Maybe studs? Would be cool if I had 3d printed Lamenters terminator shoulders, but the only ones I found were from popgoesthemonkey for $25 (including shipping) and frankly that's ridiculous. You get 10, but I just need two, and the minimum $10 shipping is a huge turn off.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 22, 2022