Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VideoGames posted:

If you could have a sequel to any game ever (and it was guaranteed to be as good as the game you are getting a sequel to) what game would you have?

I have been thinking about this for most of today and currently I am not sure.

Advance Wars 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Less than 9 hours left on my Vita auction. I almost hope I get sniped, but at least I will get it for a good price.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

If you could have a sequel to any game ever (and it was guaranteed to be as good as the game you are getting a sequel to) what game would you have?

Outer Wilds, no question. That was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I can't imagine anyone pulling it off like that again. In the context of this wish though, I get them pulling it off again and I would cherish every moment

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

VideoGames posted:

Chrono Trigger

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I want a new dungeon siege that's as good as i remember dungeon siege being

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Breath of fire V, in the vein of 3&4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like a new Vanquish or maybe a new good Ninja Gaiden

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising, normally I’d never want a sequel cause it can’t hope to match the original as a whole, but a sequel that’s guaranteed to catch the lightning in the bottle again? Heck yeah.

Otherwise gimme Ouendan 3: International Megamix Edition.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Outer Wilds, no question. That was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I can't imagine anyone pulling it off like that again. In the context of this wish though, I get them pulling it off again and I would cherish every moment

I'm still mulling it over but I like both of these answers a lot.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I really hope Sega follow up on the most recent Sakura Wars game. I haven't played any of the earlier games because I don't think any of them ever got released in Australia, but it really won me over after it opened up. It was perfect for when I was looking for something light but polished, and I think the cast and setting were really well realised considering it's a mostly fresh start. I've read mixed messages about how well it has done sales-wise, but I've got my fingers crossed it was enough for a follow up instead of another reboot attempt later.

Edit: I also really want to mention it's got some really great and expressive animation. Seeing stuff like pupil dilation changes through the course of a conversation based on what was being said added a cool layer of depth to the different conversation mechanics.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 30, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Borderlands 3 is definitely more of the same and I'm not gonna recommend it or anything but my dumb monke brain certainly does still appreciate blowing things up and number going up

the humor is just as obnoxious as I remember but I still kinda dig the "Wasteland Western Space Postapocalypse" aesthetic it's got going on

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
played some more ghost of tsushima yesterday. tbh i was souring on it right from the start when it presents you some language options and the two japanese options have these pretentious names:

to be clear i do think giving players a b&w film grain option is fun but like, don't call it that lol, especially if you're gonna turn around and use incredibly western storytelling stylings. i picked Samurai Cinema and the lip flaps in the opening cutscene don't match the dialogue (also the frame rate was kinda juttery on a base ps4).

the story itself also seems not great so far? the island of tsushima is being invaded by the mongols and you, nephew of the island's captive lord, want to drive them out and rescue your uncle. while the mongolian leader is portrayed as a pragmatist who studied the samurai and the japanese in order to conquer them and implores the japanese leader to surrender, his soldiers are typical barbaric outsiders who murder everyone they come across and despoil your beautiful island home. i cleared out a mongolian logging camp surrounded by deforested land, in stark contrast to the other environs i've seen. the japanese are of course portrayed as very honorable and upright, in tune with nature, with generations of proud tradition to uphold and protect. you are a samurai, a noble, so all of the peasants bend over backwards to please you and don't care as you steal their supplies (good samurai roleplaying tbh). your noble upbringing bristles when you learn how to sneak and assassinate but you steel your resolve and Do What Must Be Done. it all feels very nationalistic. if anyone can spoil me and say things do get more nuanced later, please do so. i don't like the protagonist very much, or the moral superiority the game ascribes to him

as far as gameplay goes, it seems like every single quest follows the same pattern of: meet npc, follow npc to place, fight enemies, investigate spots the game points out for you, follow npc to second place, fight enemies. this pattern is getting kind of old already, but i otherwise like actually playing the game. the environments are gorgeous. i enjoy sneaking around in general, and that the game offers you many different means of both sneaking and just waltzing into a camp and challenging whoever you see is very cool. following birds and foxes and fireflies to secrets is cute, and following the wind to pinned points is a nice stylistic choice (though i wish it hadn't been introduced with an obnoxious Follow the Wind banner in the middle of the screen). the combat is fine enough, though i'm playing sekiro at the same time and adjusting my muscle memory after a swap can be a bit of a bear lol

i can't really call this a chill number-go-up game because you find corpses and ravaged homes everywhere. sometimes battles end and you can walk up to a still half-alive enemy struggling on the ground and press square to End Suffering, earning you more resolve (the points used for healing and using special moves). this is unpleasant. but the parts i am liking are enough for me to keep going

also sekiro absolutely whips rear end. i was showing my gf the lady butterfly fight last night because old lady ninja are three words she loves, and had an almost perfect phase one. an elegant dance of steel, parries into parries, it felt fantastic. and then i went somewhere else and met a cute snake friend

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising, normally I’d never want a sequel cause it can’t hope to match the original as a whole, but a sequel that’s guaranteed to catch the lightning in the bottle again? Heck yeah.

it's this, no question. as much as i love skies of arcadia, that story concluded itself pretty thoroughly and i'd like to leave it on the shelf in resplendence

Cardiovorax posted:

Terraria, hands down.

mods at least take care of this pretty well!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looper posted:

played some more ghost of tsushima yesterday. tbh i was souring on it right from the start when it presents you some language options and the two japanese options have these pretentious names:

to be clear i do think giving players a b&w film grain option is fun but like, don't call it that lol, especially if you're gonna turn around and use incredibly western storytelling stylings.

They've got some balls. "Masterwork mode" for what is likely just a filter/shader toggle thrown in. II mean, if they actually blocked out scenes and lit objects according to the intended mood and story of any given scene... sure, still a little cocky, but hey you tried. If not, come on y'all you can't make that claim for yourself.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
GoT had some neat ideas (I love the Standoff mechanic) and was a very pretty game but I barely finished it because of the allergic reaction I've been having to AAA open world games for the last few years here

christ can there be a new default type of game for these big projects soon please

Exception for games where the traversal of the open world is actually The Gameplay like Death Stranding or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghost of Tsushima's presentation is cool but the story and characters are a total snoozefest.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

They've got some balls. "Masterwork mode" for what is likely just a filter/shader toggle thrown in. II mean, if they actually blocked out scenes and lit objects according to the intended mood and story of any given scene... sure, still a little cocky, but hey you tried. If not, come on y'all you can't make that claim for yourself.

Actually I was reading an interview Kurosawa did in I believe 1965, shortly after the release of 赤ひげ (Red Beard) and he said that he actually shoots in colour then runs it through a black and white filter in Adobe After Effects

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

For years the answer for me was Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines so the current situation is just taunting me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Masterwork mode all, can't go wrong.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For years the answer for me was Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines so the current situation is just taunting me

The development of that game so far is really disappointing and it makes me sad for people who were excited for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Tales from the Borderlands

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Looper posted:

mods at least take care of this pretty well!
Sure do! It's definitely the single most played game in my library at this point, with mods and without mods. They're great for making the game feel fresh again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

I'd demand FFIX-2 and I'd demand it now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1376923618391818250?s=20

Ah yes, what we need is to dramatically increase our workload.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xedo posted:

The Last Story.

:thunkher:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Beyond Good and Evil *fingers in ears la la la*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They call it Final Fantasy but there's like a hundred of these fuckers

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rarity posted:

I'd demand FFIX-2 and I'd demand it now

Only after FFVI-2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

to be clear i do think giving players a b&w film grain option is fun but like, don't call it that lol, especially if you're gonna turn around and use incredibly western storytelling stylings. i picked Samurai Cinema and the lip flaps in the opening cutscene don't match the dialogue (also the frame rate was kinda juttery on a base ps4).

The lip flaps in Ghost of Tsushima are really :psyduck: to me after playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Like, Ghost of Tsushima is a huge, mega-budget production and they couldn't even bother to match the lip flaps to the Japanese dialogue. Meanwhile, Yakuza: Like a Dragon has two separate well-written English scripts--one that's closer to the Japanese script for subtitling the Japanese audio, and a slightly different one for the English dub--and they actually lip synced for both Japanese and English audio. It's really impressive that they went to all that effort, and meanwhile Ghost of Tsushima makes a big deal in their promotional material of having Japanese audio and "Kurosawa mode" options but just kept the English lip syncing because :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally played Limbo and it seemed pretty straight forward to me: Kid dies after falling from his tree house, sister discover the body.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

now explain Inside

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'm big on irony

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

Finally played Limbo and it seemed pretty straight forward to me: Kid dies after falling from his tree house, sister discover the body.

a lot of people including me think it’s a car crash from the window-shattering effect at the very end but otherwise yeah

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hwurmp posted:

now explain Inside

opposite of outside. I recommend against experiencing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The development of that game so far is really disappointing and it makes me sad for people who were excited for it.

I have now shifted to pinning my hopes on the Vampire the Masquerade game being made by the devs of The Council, which if they continue their "RPG skill tree system but the game is all dialogues and investigation" would actually revisit the parts of Bloodlines I cared the most about anyway

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

now explain Inside

Have to play it first.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Harrow posted:

The lip flaps in Ghost of Tsushima are really :psyduck: to me after playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

To be fair, GoT is a whole new game world with new assets for literally everything, where for Y7 they had like 20 years of assets and location scouts to pull from.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kingdom Hearts trilogy is now on Epic Game Store, exclusive because reasons?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The reason is that Epic gave them money, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We can only assume Disney didn't want it on Steam's frontpage next to Mega Hentai Hitler Exxxxtreme Tits Edition for some reason.