Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Tesla buyers conned themselves before they walked in the door lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A more deserving group of suckers there never was.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
Satan help you if you give a car salesman your phone number and then say no to them. I got calls daily for the next week, with them switching numbers after I blocked the first one.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PuErhTeabag posted:

Satan help you if you give a car salesman your phone number and then say no to them. I got calls daily for the next week, with them switching numbers after I blocked the first one.

I've had a number of "real estate agents" calling me trying to buy my father's house from me. I just set it down and go about my business.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

If you think you got a good deal on a new car and it was painless to buy you probably got wrecked.

I don't think I got a super fantastic deal on a new car or anything, I think I got an adequate deal for an amount I was willing to pay, without actually having to hassle with the sales dude at all, which honestly I'm fine with.

I consulted with the buying a car thread on SA that was active around that time (same one with the 'profit fee' story) and some people in it who were actual car salesmen were more or less like "yeah that price is fine, there's a little room so you could probably haggle them down a couple thousand more if you really wanted to but it's not a super ripoff price as it is" :shrug:

e: Oh they did absolutely do their best to try to gently caress me on financing and add-ons and poo poo though to make up for it so that was a fun run-around to deal with.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Mar 30, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PuErhTeabag posted:

I bought a car and still get texts from them three years later

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

what do they text you about?

"hey i know you just bought a new car but do you wanna buy another one for our Easter Sunday sale!?"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Len posted:

Report their number as spam and block their numbers?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Nastier Nate posted:

what do they text you about?

"hey i know you just bought a new car but do you wanna buy another one for our Easter Sunday sale!?"

Mostly "happy birthday" "don't forget to get your oil changed a service we offer" "hey don't forget to do your regular maintenance a service we offer"

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Beep boop buying a car is a mystical impenetrable experience that requires esoteric, arcane knowledge unobtainable from even a cursory study of this very forum, what a privilege

AvesPKS has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Mar 30, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
not reading all that but I'm happy for you.. or sorry that happened

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Love the car, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AvesPKS posted:

I don't understand why everyone one is being so resistant to this. It's just advocating for consumer literacy.

1. All kinds of literacy are obviously good and no one is saying otherwise.

2. Your experience is not universal. Your abilities and baseline knowledge are not universal. This is an inherently predatory industry.

3. The entire dealership structure is a deep pile of scams. Psychological scams, mostly, but also poo poo like fake invoices and bizarrely structured payment instruments to the dealerships so the customer has NO CHANCE getting all the real information. Sure you can go pay MSRP, but the fact is that different people will pay many thousands more or less than each other based on a ton of entirely hidden, arcane reasons.

I don't know why you or anyone else would advocate for a one-sided haggling system for a factory manufactured good, unless you just enjoy various forms of privilege which make it less onerous on you than most (and either don't realize it or are just fygm about it)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I bought once

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I enjoy reading about people who get hosed by dealers because they're dumb. Remember $40k Altima guy from like, 2005? That poo poo. That's what I crave. Feed me stories of consumer financial misfortune. I'll even give a bonus 5 golden manbabies for them.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Military, of course. There's another one of a recently enlisted guy buying a VW Tiguan (boring mommymobile SUV) for well over double its original price, but I can't find it.

redgubbinz has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Mar 30, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Consumption under capitalism? A shameful act.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The real pro move is to be a loser who never learned to drive. Helps to not live in a city and not in America I guess

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
volkswagen of america is now voltswagen of america

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131737_official-volkswagen-s-us-arm-changes-name-to-voltswagen-of-america

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

redgubbinz posted:

Military, of course. There's another one of a recently enlisted guy buying a VW Tiguan (boring mommymobile SUV) for well over double its original price, but I can't find it.

Lol.

I need to come up with a scam to sell to milfolk idiots. You'd think being a veteran, I'd have some insight, but lol, I'm just as dumb now as when I enlisted. I'd be first in line to buy my own dumb thing.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's fine bro, just be informed bro. Just devote your every waking hour on studying the million different scams you can fall victim to every second, it's cool, I do it all the time. No, it's fine, I actually like the world to be a jungle where you have to constantly be on alert. Love to suspect every other sentient being near me of wanting to gently caress me over. It's natural, that's just how it is. Just read up on it bro. Why don't you have an uncle to explain it to you, lmao. Don't be such a baby, it's not like this could work in any other way bro.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fame Douglas posted:

Not all states allow direct manufacturer sales, thanks to lobbying from auto dealers, lmao. Gotta have the middleman!

tesla isnt really showing the benefits of direct manufacturer sales

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
tesla doesn't make money selling cars. the distribution model doesn't matter because they don't make money there. tesla makes money by selling carbon credits to polluters.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

seems like the best idea is to find some site that tells you how much the car should really cost (truecar?), and just bring that with you

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

actionjackson posted:

seems like the best idea is to find some site that tells you how much the car should really cost (truecar?), and just bring that with you

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shop at Carmax, home of no haggle pricing!

But no, don't, unless you want something unreliable and want to abuse a warranty.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah I realized that was a bit naive sounding, not sure what the best solution is though

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1376530092495667203

Helicopters still doing more work than the entire left.

:sickos:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
how is car buying a thing? just take a test drive and shove that nerd out the passenger side at the first stop light you hit

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Are car dealers legally required to sell you a car if you agree to pay the sticker price they put on it in the dealership?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I didn't realize "if he have gun this not happen" was a CSPAM position now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Growing up bike theft was so rampant that bikes were practically communal. I just chained mine up but friends would steal what they could, even regularly steal their bikes back. Good times, if kind of sad.

Still is. You can take an angle grinder to a bike lock on a busy street during the day like it's cool, nobody is going to intervene unless you try to stop him.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

I didn't realize "if he have gun this not happen" was a CSPAM position now

You go back a few hundred pages in this thread and you can find people genuinely arguing that 9/11 was a cool and good necessity done by great dudes to further the goals of communism so like, whatever

grate deceiver posted:

It's fine bro, just be informed bro. Just devote your every waking hour on studying the million different scams you can fall victim to every second, it's cool, I do it all the time. No, it's fine, I actually like the world to be a jungle where you have to constantly be on alert. Love to suspect every other sentient being near me of wanting to gently caress me over. It's natural, that's just how it is. Just read up on it bro. Why don't you have an uncle to explain it to you, lmao. Don't be such a baby, it's not like this could work in any other way bro.

I studied for years with the wise blind monks of the great temple of D'troit so that I may one day naruto run at car dealerships and frighten them into giving me a good deal with my ninjitsu abilities

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hey guys I just got a call from the dealership I bought my car from and they say there is someone on the lot right now looking to buy my car for $3,000 TODAY RIGHT NOW!

Should I do it? He's on the line and says he's about to walk...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

He's on the line and says he's about to walk...

That's what people without cars usually do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Tesla buyers conned themselves before they walked in the door lol

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/tesla-double-charged-some-customers-for-new-cars.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What about buying used or CPO? There's never really a good reason to buy a brand new car considering depreciation, seems like CPO <30-40k miles is the way to go, at least that's what I did

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

What about buying used or CPO? There's never really a good reason to buy a brand new car considering depreciation, seems like CPO <30-40k miles is the way to go, at least that's what I did

Depends on your life circumstances. Some manufacturers are offering really impressive warranties now, and with used you never know for sure how badly the previous drivers abused everything.

New for some, used for others, lease for still others!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

human garbage bag posted:

Are car dealers legally required to sell you a car if you agree to pay the sticker price they put on it in the dealership?

Not necessarily. If you live in a state with compulsory auto-insurance, the statutes might prevent you from buying a vehicle without proof of insurance. Even if you have 2x cash in hand, they can't legally sell it to you unless you can show them insurance coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also depreciation isn't really a thing anymore, at least for popular brands/models. look up prices of say a 2016 Wrangler Sahara and compare to the 2021 equivalent.